Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

thesecret1

Arcane
Mafia 2 felt like it was trying to be a GTA clone to me, and I disliked that kind of direction. Mafia 1 was its own thing rather than an attempt to clone something and was great at what it did.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Maybe they've made 5 seconds of CGI Tommy Angelo because his original model is too low-poly to be shown in a trailer.

PrettyDeadman

Mafia 2 felt like it was trying to be a GTA clone to me, and I disliked that kind of direction. Mafia 1 was its own thing rather than an attempt to clone something and was great at what it did.
Dunno. Mafia 2 was a lot more linear and story-focused than GTA. It didn't feel that sandboxy like gta's feel.

Deleted member 7219

This thread makes me want to play Mafia 2 again. Loved the atmosphere in that game, and the visuals. I had my frustrations with it as well, much like I did with the first game (just different frustrations), so Mafia 2 didn't feel like a step down for me. It was just a little different.

Ivan

Arcane
Agreed ^^ I was actually thinking about replaying Mafia 2 not too long ago, thinking, damn this still looks good.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New voice actors for Mafia1?
Now I'm really worried what they gonna screw this time.

edit
gonna change the thread title, for Mafia4 and incoming refreshed trilogy
edit2
threw to different thread, whatever

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm always reminded of that scene regarding Henry whenever Mafia 2 is mentioned. God damn what a memorable, melancholy game.

Apparently these are screenshots of Mafia 1. I take 60 bucks worth of Tommy in high polygon please :incline:

Rev

Arcane
I'm afraid they'll simplify Mafia to appeal to modern gamers, hope they just overhaul the graphics tho.
Anyhow, I have Mafia on both Steam and GOG and it's still a masterpiece, I replayed it last year and it has aged like wine. Even if this remaster/remake goes wrong (and ofc I hope it doesn't), I can always play that.

Mafia II btw doesn't really need a remaster but rather a Director's Cut made by Vavra and his team, so they can actually finish the game, fix the last chapters and add some of the cut content.

Last edited:
Anyhow, I have Mafia on both Steam and GOG and it's still a masterpiece, I replayed it last year and it has aged like wine. Even if this remaster/remake goes wrong (and ofc I hope it doesn't), I can always play that.

I replayed it couple months ago after many years break, still a fine game. Still real nice looking too, especially with draw distance hack from widescreen fix.

I would be really impressed if they don't popamolize the remake.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The screenshots of Mafia 1 look great, but yeah, they're going to fuck up the gameplay. Health regen and cover system guaranteed.

Remake Mafia 2 with Mafia 1 combat and we'll talk.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Am I missing something when people praise 1's combat? It's not the worst thing in the world but I thought people cared more about the presentation of the time period, the story, and the little details the game had. Only time I felt the gameplay complimented the story elements was after the introduction mission where Tommy has to slowly drive people around with his taxi job (indicating how fucking boring his daily routine was compared to the initial escape sequence the game begins with as well as what's to come). Not to say that going full 3 is the solution but I'd be lying if them making the gameplay core more like 2 but more punishing sounds a lot more enjoyable than doing 1's systems all over again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom