Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

bussinrounds

Augur
I guess I just have completely different expectations for remakes. The Thing is almost a completely different movie than The Thing from Another World, and it's a great movie. It's not the same, and if you prefer 50s style to 80s style you probably prefer the original, but 80s The Thing is certifiably good at what it's doing.
Handpick one of the few examples where it was handled well (Invasion of the Bodysnatchers 78' was another)

...as opposed to the countless others that have been :decline:

bussinrounds

Augur
Depends on what it is. When it comes to modern mainstream 'entertainment', I'm glass fucking empty with maybe a drop or 2 at the bottom left kind of guy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Apparently the world will be fully open from the get go, no gradual unlocking as you play on.

1199159-map_lost_heaven-original.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently the world will be fully open from the get go, no gradual unlocking as you play on.

1199159-map_lost_heaven-original.jpg
I bet there will be stupid collectibles littered all around the map. Also, will they keep the Free Ride and Free Ride Extreme modes? Those had a lot of fun missions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I bet there will be stupid collectibles littered all around the map.

Obviously.

I'd just remind everyone that the main complaint with the original was "outside of the missions there is nothing to do; the city is only a background you drive through from mission to mission".

So bitching about the devs adding collectibles, side activities and other paraphernalia of open-world games is just gamers being gamers again.

Also, nobody actually hates collectibles and other open-world cliches. Ghost of Tsushima is filled with those and everybody loves it. It's always about how you package it, i.e. writing, style, vibe, graphics etc.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Obviously.

I'd just remind everyone that the main complaint with the original was "outside of the missions there is nothing to do; the city is only a background you drive through from mission to mission".

So bitching about the devs adding collectibles, side activities and other paraphernalia of open-world games is just gamers being gamers again.

Also, nobody actually hates collectibles and other open-world cliches. Ghost of Tsushima is filled with those and everybody loves it. It's always about how you package it, i.e. writing, style, vibe, graphics etc.

The main complaint in rpg's were too much numbers and complexity,that turned out great.
Nobody complained about collectibles except gta fans that played the game years after it was released,everybody else was bitching about the race.Not even game journos complained about that at release.In fact they praised the city for having a soul compared to gta 3.

Collectibles destroy any game world because they gamify exploration and make the designer use breadcrumbs to guide you around like a puppet.Modern gamer's love'm because they require no effort and fill up a useless check list to trigger dopamine levels.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Obviously.

I know it is just me, but I never complained about Mafia in this regard. This game is not like GTA, I don't need endless crap and side activities in it. It is a story based game, not a sandbox. And actually there were clever side missions in the game, just not in the main storyline. They were packaged in the Free Ride/Extreme mode.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Obviously.

I know it is just me, but I never complained about Mafia in this regard. This game is not like GTA, I don't need endless crap and side activities in it. It is a story based game, not a sandbox. And actually there were clever side missions in the game, just not in the main storyline. They were packaged in the Free Ride/Extreme mode.
Yeah but you absolutely cannot into open world/sandbox games anyway, as history can testify.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Obviously.

Yeah but you absolutely cannot into open world/sandbox games anyway, as history can testify.
I can admit that I'm not fond of most of the open world games, so Mafia not following their rule is a positive for me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can admit that I'm not fond of most of the open world games, so Mafia not following their rule is a positive for me.

And if you were a dev would you adjust your open-world game for the tastes of dozens of millions raised on AssCreed and Witcher or one random goulash muncher that wants an empty town with missions?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

And if you were a dev would you adjust your open-world game for the tastes of dozens of millions raised on AssCreed and Witcher or one random goulash muncher that wants an empty town with missions?
Goulash muncher? Really? That was low man, that was low...

Lemming42

Arcane
Looks to be a very faithful recreation. Should be fun to see all the sights. Hope they kept that alleyway on the Hoboken main street that you can go flying down at 60 mph during chases, inevitably obliterating your own car but turning your pursuers into a shattered wreck as well.

Speaking of Hoboken, why is it called Holbrook now? And why is Oak Hill called Beech Hill, especially since Oakwood is still called Oakwood? Plus New Ark to North Park?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The main complaint in rpg's were too much numbers and complexity,that turned out great.
Nobody complained about collectibles except gta fans that played the game years after it was released,everybody else was bitching about the race.Not even game journos complained about that at release.In fact they praised the city for having a soul compared to gta 3.

Collectibles destroy any game world because they gamify exploration and make the designer use breadcrumbs to guide you around like a puppet.Modern gamer's love'm because they require no effort and fill up a useless check list to trigger dopamine levels.

They're always gonna do what Joe Gamer wants, not what RPG Codex style people want. At least with collectibles and side races and shit it's all optional. There's no option to make Skyrim have real stats.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Installed both versions of Mafia 2 and went back and forth. The remaster definitely looks better overall, by quite a bit. EDIT: I originally ended up saying the remaster was best, but the more I play it the more issues I spot. Lots of blinking textures, little weird things like not having a hat when you should and NPC animations bugging out. Also the new face textures are not color matched to bare chests, which looks super weird. I know some of this was in videos but I didn't see much of it the first couple hours, so I thought they patched it. No dice.

Also when Physx is really popping off the framerate fucking plummets, and it's not even as good of Physx as the original. Baffling. Anyway... playing the original more, might stick to that one.

Game is interesting 10 years later. The linear design in an open world thing feels even more different after all these years of Witcher 3s and Assassin's Creeds. Also no game now would have the secret alarm mechanic in the stamp heist, where the game never tells you that you can disarm it. Hell, games rarely did that back then.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-definitive-edition-classic-difficulty/

INTRODUCING MAFIA: DEFINITIVE EDITION'S CLASSIC DIFFICULTY

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NEW CLASSIC DIFFICULTY MODE IN MAFIA: DEFINITIVE EDITION.

When Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven was released in 2002, it placed a lot of importance on realism, leading to some unapologetically challenging sections of gameplay. Mafia: Definitive Edition will launch with multiple difficulty settings as well as options to change individual features like aim assist, vehicle handling, and police response—but if your inclination is to crank everything up for maximum old-school challenge, you need look no further than Classic Difficulty.

Classic Difficulty doesn't make the game unreasonably difficult, but it incorporates a number of features that evoke the original Mafia and encourage you to play differently. "Looking back at the original game today, it is incredibly challenging," notes Hangar 13 Senior Systems Designer Prakash Choraria. "With Classic Difficulty, we wanted to deliver something that is still an accomplishment to overcome, while smoothing over some of the bumps that could otherwise feel frustrating. Taking the race in the Fair Play mission as an example, the goal across all of Mafia: Definitive Edition's difficulty settings was to make it a little easier than the original, as many players got stuck and were unable to beat it. On Classic, the race is still pretty tough, but is conquerable with patience and practice."

Away from the racetrack, you'll find that playing on Classic Difficulty is more demanding anytime you're behind the wheel of a car or riding one of the newly added motorcycles. The driving assists available on other difficulty settings are weaker or disabled completely in some cases, and while GPS navigation will still be available on the minimap, you won't see any in-world navigation signs popping up on street corners and such to show you the way. Missed your turn and contemplating a dangerous maneuver to get back on track towards your destination? Be warned that Classic Difficulty cops are far less forgiving of such infractions than their counterparts on other difficulty settings.

As Choraria explains: "When playing on Medium difficulty, the police will generally ignore crimes where no one gets hurt. If you run a red light or hit a stationary vehicle, they’ll turn a blind eye, but aim a gun at a pedestrian and they’ll want to have a word. On Classic, however, no offense is too small. Drive even a little over the speed limit and you’ll need to pull over and pay a fine to stop the situation from escalating." Neglect to pull over and you'll find that Lost Heaven PD officers are unrelenting in their pursuit and will resort to setting up roadblocks just as they did in the original game. Encountering a roadblock while fleeing from the police doesn't necessarily mean that you have to stop, of course, but you should know that on Classic Difficulty your vehicles aren't as durable as on other difficulty settings.

When you're on foot, hopefully not as a result of your vehicle sustaining too much damage, Classic Difficulty enemies are ready to punish your every misstep. Compared to their counterparts on other difficulty settings, they're more aggressive, deal more damage, and are better at avoiding your attacks. Oh, and they won't show up on your minimap, so while looking for opportunities to emerge from cover and shoot you also need to keep an eye out for anyone trying to flank your position.

Pay close attention to your ammo too, because on Classic Difficulty—just as in the original game—reloading your gun means you forfeit any bullets left in the clip. "If you reload that Tommy gun with 38 bullets left in the clip," explains Choraria, "you’ll lose all of them." The melee combat system that incorporates takedowns as well as weapons like bats and knives affords you some new options to deal with enemies in certain situations. But any damage you sustain in a fight will be harder to recover from because, on Classic Difficulty, first aid kits restore less health, and your health will only regenerate automatically up to 20%.

Classic Difficulty will undoubtedly be the most challenging way to play Mafia: Definitive Edition, but while it's true to the 2002 version of Mafia where things like ammo management and police responses are concerned, that doesn't mean that it will be as punishing as some of the original game's missions could be. You have the option to swap to and from Classic Difficulty at any time during the game, but if you want to unlock the Achievement or Trophy for completing Tommy Angelo's story on Classic Difficulty, you'll need to stick with it from the outset. We hope that you'll enjoy giving Classic Difficulty a try when Mafia: Definitive Edition releases on September 25—just don't say we didn't warn you if the going gets tough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Disappointing they don't even make it the default option. I can't remember if the original even had difficulty settings. I can't remember the game being that difficult neither, besides the race which I played patched, there were only a couple of missions which took several tries. Mostly just because of one killing shotguns or the mansion mission, which was stealth based if I remember correctly.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This classic difficulty is going to be invalidated by the cover shooter mechanics and mini map showing where enemies are.

Oh and BTW, I posted that link above but how do you make it show the text like that?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This classic difficulty is going to be invalidated by the cover shooter mechanics and mini map showing where enemies are.

In Classic they don't show on the minimap, according to the quote above. Mafia 2 was the same way, you only saw them there on normal difficulty.

I'll probably play with everything on classic except police shit, which is one immersion step too far for me.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

In Classic they don't show on the minimap, according to the quote above. Mafia 2 was the same way, you only saw them there on normal difficulty.

I'll probably play with everything on classic except police shit, which is one immersion step too far for me.
I don't remember much from Mafia 2. I hope they won't show up. And yeah, classic is the only way to play.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I can't remember if the original even had difficulty settings.
It didn't. The only way to progress was to get good (or cheat, as in the case of the unpatched racing mission, which still was nowhere near as hard as it's made out to be).

Basically they're saying that even the hardest mode of the remake is still easier than the easiest (i.e. the only) setting of the original.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I guess by todays standards game is hard if there are regurarly parts you have to try scene more than once. Airport I don't remember being hard at all, but sure I might have had to try it more than one or two times. One thing I know remember was the whore mission in the hotel, where there was sawed-off shotgun guy who would kill me at least a couple of times.

Which makes me think I'm sure they won't keep that mission title, since it was literally "The Whore". :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom