Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

Citizen

sqfOrm6.jpg

ho wdo mirrors work?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
man the changes to the eye animations really hurt those scenes. What an amateur oversight.

Codex Year of the Donut
with regards to mafia 2: I don't like the lighting changes, feels too saturated.

[edit]
and some scenes are way too dark
e.g.,
snapshot.jpg

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
i was thinking the same. The improved resolution is nice, but is killed by the darker image. M2 already had a really dark imagespace. This change looks like some faggots ENB for skyrim with overly crushed blacks everywhere sucking the life out of the screen.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mafia 2 had a desaturated, somber tone to it that fit in with the winter setting. From what I've seen, this really missed the mark.
snapshot.jpg

Almost feels amateurish, as if someone just applied some color mapping filter to it.

And I can't unsee the eye thing now. There's no way I could play this, how did they mess that up so badly?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Lighting seems like a mixed bag though, some of the comparisons he showed were greatly improved by ambient occlusion if nothing else. Also nice texture upgrades. The eyes do really hurt it though, yeah, and they altered the look and mood too much.

Video didn't mention pop-in distance. I remember that being one of Mafia 2's big issues, as even at max settings stuff popped in way too close. A big improvement there is probably the only thing that would get me to try the remaster.

Lemming42

Arcane
Don't wanna shit-talk the new actor before I've seen his performance properly, but yeah, my mind was just screaming "that's not Tommy". Surely a big part of Tommy's success as a character is that he's just a normal person who's constantly out of step with the rest of the Salieri family and mafia culture, which is sort of the entire point of the plot. They've made him sound less like a random taxi driver way in over his head and more like a movie gangster.

Seeing the old locations recreated with modern graphics was pretty cool though, and there's nothing so far to indicate that the plot is gonna be butchered or anything. This could still turn out ok :positive:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If they have cut down on the stretched out gunfights vs scores of enemies, and added an accent on the movie-like moments, it might turn out better than the original. I always wanted to explore the characters more and was bored by the shooting parts.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If they have cut down on the stretched out gunfights vs scores of enemies, and added an accent on the movie-like moments, it might turn out better than the original. I always wanted to explore the characters more and was bored by the shooting parts.
Then again the cinematic game genre has progressed a ton and this remaster might look a bit dated compared to the technical marvels like TLoU etc.

So you want another Mafia 2, where there are few shootouts throughout entire game and the rest is filled with you doing trivial boring shit?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So you want another Mafia 2, where there are few shootouts throughout entire game and the rest is filled with you doing trivial boring shit?

This is pretty much how I remember the original, the only difference being those shootouts lasted for-fucking-ever and had poor checkpoint placement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom