Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Apparently M2 DE is already out in some regions? Fucking staggered releases man.

Looks exactly the same as PC version. I went back and played through it again at the weekend. Looks like 'Definitive Edition' just means a re-release for the current generation of consoles.

Went to YT, watched some old LPs, it seems they did polish it up a bit. The original looks more blurry and muddy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The people holding the purse strings will certainly insist upon it in some form. An authentic depiction of that time is threatening enough as to generally not be allowed, plain and simple. That's if the people rewriting it even have a conception of how things were, which is less and less likely.

I hate remixed history to push woke idealism, but it's not like black people didn't exist in that time in New York. It's also not like every Italian dude in New York hated them. If they add some minority characters (which I think is a safe bet) my annoyance will completely depend on how well they do it.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I hate remixed history to push woke idealism, but it's not like black people didn't exist in that time in New York. It's also not like every Italian dude in New York hated them. If they add some minority characters (which I think is a safe bet) my annoyance will completely depend on how well they do it.

There was vastly less mixed socializing than there is now, and it isn't a question of hate as much as it is of 'otherness'. Giving imaginary black gangs a starring role in a hypothetical historically faithful remake of Mafia or including some 'Rosie the Riveter' cutouts is simply irresistible. Both to the suits who control the money and want to minimize risk and the younger people actually making the game who likely simply don't know any better and potentially have an agenda on top of it.

Something I would love to see if deep changes are to be made would be more involvement with Chinatown, but a realistic depiction of it is, again, simply not possible either because it's considered 'problematic' or because younger people genuinely don't understand it. L.A. Noire was begging for a Chinatown chapter.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anyone wanna try Mafia 3 but grossed out by its washed out, lifeless brown color palette, then I suggest using any sweetfx preset that removes blur, increase sharpening and contrast. This was how I managed to stomach the game at launch.

Reinstalling the game to see if there's any performance/graphics upgrade and bug fixes. My experience was relatively fine compared to most people, but it certainly was still janky as fuck even after the big patch released a few weeks after launch.

6s4EOpt.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's fishy they are showing so little of Mafia 1.
Well most of the work probably goes to Mafia, that is the game which really needs a graphical facelift. M2 and 3 barely needs any uprade. And going by the screenshots, Mafia 1 will be the big bang, so I understand they are holding it back.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There was vastly less mixed socializing than there is now, and it isn't a question of hate as much as it is of 'otherness'. Giving imaginary black gangs a starring role in a hypothetical historically faithful remake of Mafia or including some 'Rosie the Riveter' cutouts is simply irresistible. Both to the suits who control the money and want to minimize risk and the younger people actually making the game who likely simply don't know any better and potentially have an agenda on top of it.

Yeah I mean if they make him best buddies with a down on his luck black guy and they fight the rest of the mafia together then it'll be stupid. If they change the car mechanic guy to a black dude and they pal around a little, it'll be fine.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Why haven't they shown yet gameplay of Mafia 1? I mean, I guess I know the answer but still, wanted to be sure it won't be what I think it will, which would be Mafia 2 gameplay and mechanics but with the story, city and characters from the first one. It won't be that. Right? Right?
Shit

DeepOcean

Arcane
Of the 3 games, only the first one is worth anything and they will probably ruin it with popamole cover shooting, what is the point?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Something I would love to see if deep changes are to be made would be more involvement with Chinatown, but a realistic depiction of it is, again, simply not possible either because it's considered 'problematic' or because younger people genuinely don't understand it. L.A. Noire was begging for a Chinatown chapter.

Deadwood is a great example of how you can handle that kind of historical situation:

Thank god they made this show before all this 'current year' bullshit really started...

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Because it was announced today. How is that a question?
Because they've already shown gameplay of M2. All three games were announced at the same time.

Edit: well, apparently M2 and M3 are out so that leaves only M1. Reading the Reddit sub, the 2 games have a bunch of issues, all technical in nature. Yeah, it doesn't bode well.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Because it was announced today. How is that a question?
Because they've already shown gameplay of M2. All three games were announced at the same time.

Edit: well, apparently M2 and M3 are out so that leaves only M1. Reading the Reddit sub, the 2 games have a bunch of issues, all technical in nature. Yeah, it doesn't bode well.
M2 and 3 were to be released within the next week of the announcement and both were just touch ups, not reworks from the ground up. Showing gameplay wasn't a very hard thing to do considering it was all built 10 years ago.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

From what I've read Mafia 3 is literally the same exact game, just bundled with its DLC like a "game of the year edition." So any technical issues would be years old. Mafia 2 is a real remaster, for better or worse.

I saw a number of people on the Steam forums and reddit complaining that Mafia 3 actually looks worse than the original, with blurrier textures and the like. Apparently there was a significant patch that came out for owners of the original (an extra 7 GBs or something thereabouts) so they did something, but as with the rest of these releases, it's apparently not great.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mafia 3 was a really terrible game the first time around, never mind a terrible Mafia game. It sold like shit and was heavily discounted soon after release. I can't believe they'd spend any significant effort or cash on it again. I don't think I've ever played a game that bored me so much or was so repetitive, and I've played Assassins Creed 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom