Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

agris

Arcane
Patron
Technomancer do you know if proper phase transformations are included in the current materials model used to produce random quality of items? I’m talking about full kinetic as well as thermodynamic models to encompass the range of metastable phases and decomposition products that can form from unusual heat treatments or material inhomogeneity.

Critically, I hope Maddoc recognizes the importance of capturing 2nd order phase transformations to handle the discontinuities in their constitutive free energy functions, such that emergent material behavior such as a shape memory and para/ferro-magnetic phase transformations are included in the random materials quality generator.

this opens up the possibility of magnetic traps catching players unaware due to their paramagnetic gear, as well as spontaneous diffusionless phase transformations of weapons when a critical yield strength is reached, resulting in shields and armor changing shape dynamically during combat.

Please pass on these questions and thoughts to the development team. Thank you.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Are you memeing me agris? I didn't understand a word you said. But you can ping Madoc on the server and ask him yourself or just DM him, he is @Madoc#6296 on Discord. Most likely he will answer if he has the time.

Technomancer

Liturgist
this opens up the possibility of magnetic traps catching players unaware due to their paramagnetic gear, as well as spontaneous diffusionless phase transformations of weapons when a critical yield strength is reached, resulting in shields and armor changing shape dynamically during combat.
Jokes aside I don't think that full-on deformation system was ever talked about or considered. But I did saw Madoc talking about magnetism. Apparently it is part of Energy school of thaumaturgy, but that is SG material.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Jokes aside I don't think that full-on deformation system was ever talked about or considered. But I did saw Madoc talking about magnetism. Apparently it is part of Energy school of thaumaturgy, but that is SG material.

flavoured-expired.59f1971ecf5595f8cdd37fc1636fca06.png

Chk991

Novice
Should just get rid of the whole dungeon idea and do a full blown gladiator/arena simulation.

Technomancer

Liturgist
14/9/20

Kieran is still hard at work making procedural weapons, this week we've got some one-handed swords to show you. In typical Bare Mettle fashion we ended up going a bit further with the system again. When trying to decide on all the blade types we wanted to include, we realized it would be far easier if we could do fullers separately, so we ended up developing the system further so that fullers are combined with blades procedurally. Now we have a much more manageable number of core blade types, with different optional fullers being added and even having their own deformations. This is a feature we can use for many other things too, like etchings / engravings, inlays in different materials and even maker's marks.

We still need to add a bunch of proper grip materials, but something else we did this week is greatly simplify how procedural materials are created and managed, so adding more materials is now very easy.

A Few Swords
Some procedurally generated swords. Still a few tweaks to make and always things to add, but we're got the basics covered.

Besides the ongoing effort to make all our weapons procedural, we're still working to properly integrate the new GI system to support very large environments and making good progress. Work is also continuing on roles and other new content. We should be close to beta testing all the rendering and graphics updates, but we haven't quite settled on what our final public release should include. There's a lot things we've been working on that are very nearly complete, we generally like to release big important updates that make it seem worth experiencing the game all over again, but as the coming update is mostly arena focused we might make an exception and release things a bit differently.

-the BM team

Beowulf

Arcane
Imagine if we had harnessed these dudes to cure cancer.

I guess they'd still optimising the syringe shape for optimal injection method in early stage data gathering.

But yeah, in 30 years the cure would be here.

AndrewCC

Educated
What's the point of this combat system in 2020+? There's been 20 VR games that did the whole "you control your weapon acording to the laws of physics" games already. And they use much better control method via the VR controllers, rather than mouse and kb.

Zyondyne

Learned
What's the point of this combat system in 2020+? There's been 20 VR games that did the whole "you control your weapon acording to the laws of physics" games already. And they use much better control method via the VR controllers, rather than mouse and kb.

Well, I guess the point is that the game is not VR based? Lol. And it's in 3rd person? And you don't need to spend money on VR equipment if you don't want to?

Also, I believe the game was in development long before VR became a little bit more popular. What were they supposed to do, cancel it?

Technomancer

Liturgist
Imagine if we had harnessed these dudes to cure cancer.
Speaking of cancer, just learned that my acquaintance passed away from cancer. She was in her thirties and learned of it only on terminal stage. It finished her off in weeks. The cure can't come soon enough.
Also, I believe the game was in development long before VR became a little bit more popular. What were they supposed to do, cancel it?
Funnily enough, some people requested it passionately for the game and Madoc promised to prototype it since they have a friend with VR set nearby.

Last edited:

Rarre

Educated
The progress is very slow but I see the light coming... In 3 years Exanima will be GOLD... and after 7 more years Sui Generis will be Gold... but in 3 years we will have multiplayer and maybe editor tools... this game will outlive all of us because the tech and tools they are developing are long term...

PD: I was a KS backer like 8 years ago? but... only 1 programmer for a game of this kind is the problem... anyway Underrail and AOD were in development for a long time and many of us love these games...

AndrewCC

Educated
What were they supposed to do, cancel it?
Take out the combat system, which is the LEAST interesting and MOST polarizing part, and keep the good parts like the world mechanics and reactivity.
Of course, the combat system is mostly already done, so implementing a standard RPG combat system would be more work.

Harthwain

Magister
Take out the combat system, which is the LEAST interesting and MOST polarizing part, and keep the good parts like the world mechanics and reactivity. Of course, the combat system is mostly already done, so implementing a standard RPG combat system would be more work.
I found the combat system to be unique and the most interesting aspect of the game (although mostly because there was nothing to do but combat back when I played it). I fail to see how "implementing a standard RPG combat system" could be an improvement.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What were they supposed to do, cancel it?
Take out the combat system, which is the LEAST interesting and MOST polarizing part, and keep the good parts like the world mechanics and reactivity.
Of course, the combat system is mostly already done, so implementing a standard RPG combat system would be more work.
Madoc said multiple times that churning out yet another RPG with a standard combat system is exactly what he does not want to do. He also said he's fine with people not liking the game. IMO, a very healthy attitude, that can produce something interesting and not just another banal shit boring clone of yesteryear's banal shit boring crap.

Technomancer

Liturgist
21/9/20

This week we've mostly been focusing on getting the new rendering features game ready. This mostly concerns completing the new GI (Global Illumination) system. Some time ago we showed some screenshots of this in action, it was a prototype that proved it worked well, both visually and performance wise, but it was limited to small environments with limited light sources, which means there was still quite a lot of work to do.

Compared to this prototype our final implementation has to support large scenes and big view distances, it can cover a dynamic area 60 times larger than the crude GI solution that is currently in the game. It must handle virtually unlimited dynamic light sources, and complex emitters (this will be important for force thaumaturgy). It has to be completely dynamic and support massive streaming environments, precomputing for static scenes and massive file sizes is not an option to us.

Getting it to this stage involves a lot of work, which was postponed by all the work that had to go into the new renderer in general, and also the work on procedural weapons and materials. At this point though we should have the actual GI system up and running by next week. This was also an unplanned "addition", but what we have in game now is full of limitations and problems, the renderer was already getting redone, and when the idea for this came to us it was too good to ignore and made way too much sense to do it all together.

All of this has been an enormous undertaking, which broke what we hoped would be a streak of more frequent updates. We should be rolling updates out again quite soon, and we have been busy on lots of other fronts in the meantime, so there's quite a lot on the way. This work is also not just about improving graphics (which it certainly does), but about solving graphics driver issues, greatly improving our productivity, and paving the way for many features and content.

There's a lot we could talk about here, on the surface these are graphics features, but they are really big ones, with lots of practical implications too. We don't want to bore you with too many details, but if you have any questions or just want to discuss then just post here! in steam or discord

-the BM team

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So is this game just catacombs, or are there more interesting interior locations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom