Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Harthwain

Magister
What year do you have? Mine is 1173, so a little over a hundred years from the starting date (started in 1066).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you have this bug where Pope is impossible to convert and/or to strip from titles? I colected all the Pentarchy seats except old Rome Comrades as true Roman Empire. Also religion creator is fun I created Biased Orthodoxy:

dFLgrNJ.jpg

No Papacy No Sodomy No Cuckery and hot bitches for all faithful. :incline:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I have mixed feelings about Shattered Retreat. It is annoying to catch up with armies, but I still remember when I managed to wipe tens of thousands just folllowing them and constantly defeating them because they cannot regenerate morale. I'd say it is a necessary evil for the sake of gameplay.

cw8

Cipher
So Primogeniture is now a late-game mechanic this time round, means we're stuck with shitty Gavelkind most of the game. The Byzantines start off right from the bat with Primogeniture instead of the Imperial Election system, which probably makes them OP. Muslims don't seem to have the child with most titles becomes heir thingy they had in CK2.

Tigranes

Arcane
So Primogeniture is now a late-game mechanic this time round, means we're stuck with shitty Gavelkind most of the game. The Byzantines start off right from the bat with Primogeniture instead of the Imperial Election system, which probably makes them OP. Muslims don't seem to have the child with most titles becomes heir thingy they had in CK2.

OP for what? Conquering the entire continent? Sure, I guess, but that's a pretty boring way to play a game with such a shitty war system.

I've come to prefer Gavelkind to keep the game interesting and have nice interfamilial struggles over the years - going Primo I know usually means that familiar Pdox inflection point where your nation is totally stable and you cannot lose, and all victories are guaranteed, it's just a question of how long it takes.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

OP for what? Conquering the entire continent? Sure, I guess, but that's a pretty boring way to play a game with such a shitty war system.

I've come to prefer Gavelkind to keep the game interesting and have nice interfamilial struggles over the years - going Primo I know usually means that familiar Pdox inflection point where your nation is totally stable and you cannot lose, and all victories are guaranteed, it's just a question of how long it takes.

Just don't create more than one king title if you are King and not aim at Emperor-ship and same with Dukes before, the problem is that game plays the same whenever you play as German Duke and Spanish one or even Roman Doux, the game sure is not as bare bones as CK2 was at start but we should not be milked to pay for the same DLCs twice. What I liked so far:

Hooks and lifestyles its really adding a lot to RP aspect of game, the instant mobilization of levies and ships rented in ports it might be streamlining but it also makes wars much faster too even when it leads to bands of dirty peasants having access to fleets, the game is bugged all those laws about sodomy and adulteresses being criminals? 100% ignored and I could not destroy Papacy even with console command, make no sense to make Catholicism and Orthodoxy separate religions in 860 AD or even 1066 AD, this was something which emerged as reality in XIII, but as Vanila Paradox game this one is fun unlike all the others I played (Victoria, EU, Victoria, Hearts of Iron post second part etc...) Of course not going to pay Paracucks 200 Euro for stuff they probably cut from game anyways but I am no cuck.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The biggest issue with religions at the moment is that Catholicism is basically screwed, because there are so many things that kill fervor for it. This means heresy outbreaks are rampant and conversions back to Catholicism rarely - if ever - happen, which explains why Catholicism vanishes from the map. Even if conversions back to Catholicism do happen the now-Catholic rulers can't convert their own population back, because fervor of Catholicism is so low it literally never happens (no progress on the progress bar). The only way out of it is taking 3 perks from the Scholarship tree and sending your own priest to do it. That's the goal of my current Emperor: to make sure all provinces of Holy Roman Empire go back to Catholicism.

The fervor mechanic is not well thought out. I can agree that sects / heresies have high fervor but the mainstream religion should have ways to deal with it, including (deadly) force. If he peaceful conversion attempts of your bishop don't work, you should be able to literally turn up the heat and sacrifice population (or development) or popular opinion to speed it up.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's funny. My vassal are doing a much better job expanding than I could ever do... or well, I'm too lazy to expand like that. The last years I have kept the crown authority low, and played nice with all the vassals, letting them do the job for me :)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's funny. My vassal are doing a much better job expanding than I could ever do... or well, I'm too lazy to expand like that. The last years I have kept the crown authority low, and played nice with all the vassals, letting them do the job for me :)

This worked in CK2 as well - at least if it wasn't for that one ambitious vassal who constantly declared Holy Wars against much more powerful neighbours.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This worked in CK2 as well - at least if it wasn't for that one ambitious vassal who constantly declared Holy Wars against much more powerful neighbours.

I see. For some reason I don't remember any of my games turning out like this in CK2. The last 100 years I have just sit back seeing my vassals conquering everything around them like locust. In CK2 there seems to be more internal wars, at least from what I remember.

cw8

Cipher

Suitable for map painters and people doing stuff like getting restoring Roman Empire and S.P.Q.R. Can't imagine going through that with Gavelkind.
You can still implode if you're not careful about creating Kingdom-level titles and assigning them to vassals only to have succession happen and realise that most of them aren't happy with you because of some random traits or events. In all my games in CK2, I never create kingdom titles and my realms are much more stable than having them. The only exception is the Byzantines since their Viceroyalties actually made sure you wanna create kingdom titles to abuse the opinion boosts and the title goes back to you anyway.

jaydee2k

Savant
Hnnngg bought the Royal Edition from some filthy keyshop right now. Can't wait to put 400 € in dlc. Im a completionist. Have mercy.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Been getting a hang of the UI.

You can actually see direct vassals. You just have to click on them and be at the correct zoom.

It's not too difficult to adjust and is actually convenient at times. Will see where they take it. They've mentioned there's gonna be big UI updates in the patch.

Harthwain

Magister

You can actually see direct vassals. You just have to click on them and be at the correct zoom.
Strangely enough it doesn't show you who owns what exactly. For that you need to click on your vassals' coat of arms. Then you will get a nice breakdown, which makes it easier to assess your vassals' power.

By the way, it's funny to see the AI cheat. One guy in Hungary changed law to 4 of his Duchy titles, so now they all pass to high firstborn son, regardless of how many sons he has. Now the man owns half of Hungary thanks to that exploit.

Mortmal

Arcane
Muslims have nothing from ck2 ,no decadence , no real flavor, little difference is you dont have feudal vassals at start but clans and you cant modify their contract, so levy and gold depends on their opinion . They have one or two decisons , and thats all . Islam and catholicism seems the best for expansions and crusades till you can make custom faith.

Occitan and north east iberian cultures get high partition, and I discovered that czech and slovenian gets Seniority. If you want to easily unite all the Karlings in 867 just swap to czech.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Strangely enough it doesn't show you who owns what exactly. For that you need to click on your vassals' coat of arms. Then you will get a nice breakdown, which makes it easier to assess your vassals' power.

The realm tree in CK2, which listed the vassals according to their power was in my opinion better.

It's not too difficult to adjust and is actually convenient at times. Will see where they take it. They've mentioned there's gonna be big UI updates in the patch.

If I do this correctly, it does that only for the realm you click on, not the whole map.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I really like the new map system. It does lack some map modes and qol improvements, but I consider it the best map from paradox to navigate in. I do appreciate the simple UI elements to distinguish allies from neutral from foes.

I do not however think that the extremely subtile differences in emblems is enough to differenciate between faiths. I regularly just click to check if a leader is christian or not.

Deflowerer

Arcane
My first half an hour of the game was spent figuring out why I can't marry my Estonian male chieftain character to any of the young, 17 year old Finnish chieftain women. Only after finding some bisexual chieftain was when I finally realized that all those chieftains I had been eyeing were actually men, not women. That's why I was also puzzled why the fuck do Finns have female chieftains to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom