Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny how easily Codexers line up for GamePass, when it is one of the worst way of DRM. Good luck paying for a game until the day of your death if you want to keep playing it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Arx Fatalis was terrific. Shame about everything they’ve made since then though.

Tidy Your Room
iu

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny how easily Codexers line up for GamePass, when it is one of the worst way of DRM. Good luck paying for a game until the day of your death if you want to keep playing it.

Bbbbbut you never really own the software on your computer anyway
127.jpg

In fact, buy whatever you want NOW, then download it before it gets pulled from GOG and Steam to be exclusive to the shitty MS game rental service.

"But lel why would u ever want to have downloads of the games, Steam is perfect" - galaxybrains must be sweating bullets now if they haven't learned their lesson from the Epic Store fiasco.

Unlike GOG the way Steam works they always could remove that game you don't actually own but paid for like you do later.

If it's got a robust lineup of games you actually want to play it doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. People were probably spending more renting games from Blockbuster in a month (unless they had the unlimited movies & game pass) when they were around than the Game Pass cost. But that all depends on if they have shit you want to play too.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Then again what they're doing with Game Pass I guess will mean you'll always have their stuff on PC. But then at some point I could see that being "Only on PC with Game Pass" as opposed to a true PC release.

Yeah, what's to stop them from releasing the next TES with mandatory Xbox Game Pass integration like Valve did with the Orange Box on Steam. In fact, it make too much sense to not happen. Game Pass is Windows Store in another garb, all the Xbox updates are done through it. And Windows Store has never done any good sales of games, if ever. And the system is split between Xbox the console and PC, releasing some games here, some games there, and to get best of both worlds (and offers), you'll have to get the 'Ultimate'. Does Steam or Epic have 'ultimate' option? Maybe they will think about it.

Duraframe300

Arcane

It's actually one of the easiest to *crack*.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
In fact, buy whatever you want NOW, then download it before it gets pulled from GOG and Steam to be exclusive to the shitty MS game rental service.

"But lel why would u ever want to have downloads of the games, Steam is perfect" - galaxybrains must be sweating bullets now if they haven't learned their lesson from the Epic Store fiasco.

Unlike GOG the way Steam works they always could remove that game you don't actually own but paid for like you do later.

name a game that was pulled from steam and is unable to be installed if owned prior to it being pulled.

the only thing being pulled here are tales from your asshole

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

name a game that was pulled from steam and is unable to be installed if owned prior to it being pulled.

the only thing being pulled here are your tales from your asshole
Exactly. Such thing can technically happen, but it never ever happened. But in the case of Gamepass, you will lose access to all of those games if you don't pay up monthly.

Perkel

Arcane

It is basically renting games for 1$ for whole month. You have to be an idiot to not use it if there is something you actually want to play.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

It is basically renting games for 1$ for whole month. You have to be an idiot to not use it if there is something you actually want to play.
Following this logic, what's the problem with other forms of DRM?

Wunderbar

Arcane

this guy is a fan of Epic store

Last edited:

the only thing being pulled here are your tales from your asshole

You are aware you don't own anything on Steam, right?

Looking it up it seems a game called Order or War: Challenge was the first to be removed from players libraries in 2013. All free-to-play games that shut down. Whatever people had removed from that glitch this year. I was thinking they removed something outside of the US but maybe that was someone else because I can't given a article about it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
J_C To add to my earlier statement.

Microsoft actually does not put much/any copy protection on their games leading to many same day releases and they do not use Denuvo (Which in its current form is nigh uncrackable for months). That includes their steam releases. They don't use any real DRM. (Might change of course)

Last edited:

Lilliput McHammersmith

I don't see how this is going to be worth it for Microsoft. I can't imagine how TES: VI or the space game will put enough butts on the Xbox whatever to justify 7.5 billion, and I don't see the rest of their games making up the rest.
Elder Scrolls Online probably makes a bit of money. I’m not sure if 76 has any players though lol.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I just browsed GameFAQs to see how they were digesting this news and was hit by stuff like "Bethesda only makes RPGs", "nobody would buy a console just for Minecraft" and "to counter this, Sony should buy Konami and make a new Suikoden".

LOL, sony fanboys are all boomers.

Mortmal

Arcane
Most of those games you will only play once and uninstall, you pick the gamepass for one month from time to time to exhaust what's good in the library for 10 euros . Without the pass existence , i wont even bother to torrent them either especially at 150 go like gears 5 , torrenting is slower and put your pc at risk with ton of shit repackaged into it .
The real good things you want to keep are usually indies anyway, for cheap .

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

So i gather you don't use Steam then since it is also DRM ?
That's the point. There is no precedent AFAIK that a Steam game is removed from your library, and even if Steam shuts down 20 years later, at least I had that game for 20 years and I could play it whenever I wanted. With gamepass, if I stop paying the monthly fee, I won't be able to access any games.

I admit Gamepass might be good to dig through some small games you just want to try out. But if there is a game you are interested in, Steam or any other store is a safer bet, since you can keep that game longer than with Gamepass.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Steam has removed portions of games though. Especially music, for licensing shenanigans.

Gerrard

Arcane
Can you fags please stop talking about "Obisidian doing Fallout" as if the people left at nuObsidian were any better than Todd&Co?

Hmm, I was betting that Microsoft will buy CD Projekt Red.
CDPR's worth is 9,8 billion $ right now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom