Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Eig_8uZWAAA_mFs

I not gonna lie.. If Microsoft buying Sega (and by extention Atlus) meant port for SMT/Persona games from ps2 (or even.. P5) era for PC , i i don't think i would disliking that happening.
You have PCSX2 emulator, so why would you EVER wanted to have a port of P3 FES to PC?
The port of P4 is p. good. It would be great to have more stuff just like that.

Yeah. It's "good" because it's the only way to play P4G on PC. lol

Lilliput McHammersmith

I not gonna lie.. If Microsoft buying Sega (and by extention Atlus) meant port for SMT/Persona games from ps2 (or even.. P5) era for PC , i i don't think i would disliking that happening.
You have PCSX2 emulator, so why would you EVER wanted to have a port of P3 FES to PC?
The port of P4 is p. good. It would be great to have more stuff just like that.

Yeah. It's "good" because it's the only way to play P4G on PC. lol
Golden, yeah, but you could play P4 on PCSX2 for a while now. P4G on PC has an unlocked framerate, though, which is very nice.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Because:

1. Support the devs , so they can continue port shit (DDS 1/2 , Raidou series , Shin Megami Tensei 3 remaster for pc)

2. In P3's case , would actually be cool make a ''definitive edition'' with P3P features and quality of life change like manual skill inheritance because random skill inheritance is shit.

3. While i like emulators , unless it's literaly the last option , i would still take a port or original deal.

I've both P3 on PCSX2 and PPSSPP , but i still preffer to get them officialy.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Obsidian gets to make another Sonic RPG from the looks of things lol.
Wow crazy Sonic coming full circle and becoming an Xbox Mascot like he was always supposed to.
Funny Sega was supposed to be the dominant ones in that relationship and now its the other way around.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Microsoft is going very aggressive in the game market. It seems that they decided to ignore their squabble with sony and go after the big picture lol. The whole focus on console garbage was really stupid shit from microsoft,they should have gone and dominated the pc market a decade ago,could have even ripped steam a new asshole lol.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Satya Nadella wants more video game companies: https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

What's driven him is a belief that interactive entertainment will be a key technology in the next 10 years and that gamers who use Microsoft products expect the company to make titles like those made by the studios he's bought.

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

"Content is just the incredible ingredient to our platform that we continue to invest in," Xbox head Phil Spencer said in that same interview. "This doubles the size of our creative organization."

Microsoft's purchases mark the most dramatic ways the company is looking to build up its Xbox brand. They also give the company more games to field in what's increasingly become a hits-driven business.

"This is a huge investment in games that they're going to get to play," he said.

Spencer also said Bethesda will run semi-independently, in an effort to keep the company building the games that brought it success in the first place. "It is about the culture of those teams," he said. "They're not about becoming us."

It's also why game companies will continue to be on Microsoft's radar. "We'll always look for places where there is that commonality of purpose, mission and culture," Nadella said, noting that the Xbox team has worked with ZeniMax companies including Bethesda since the first Xbox was released in 2001. "We will always look to grow inorganically where it makes sense."

Microsoft buying Sega is what they were going to do back when they got into the console market. Outside of Yakuza and Virtua Fighter not showing up on Xbox, the system may as well have been Dreamcast 2 with all the Sega stuff that on it. It's too bad they didn't buy them too, because shortly after that Sammy bought them up, (they'd take over the next year) studios got merged into oblivion, a bunch of their talent left, and they sold off their 2K sports division to Take-Two.

If it's true ok, but it could just be bullshit playing on the fact Microsoft has thought of buying them in the past. Microsoft has seemed to establish a relationship with them again, showing off Yakuza Like A Dragon at one of their events as a next gen game.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Satya Nadella wants more video game companies: https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

What's driven him is a belief that interactive entertainment will be a key technology in the next 10 years and that gamers who use Microsoft products expect the company to make titles like those made by the studios he's bought.

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

"Content is just the incredible ingredient to our platform that we continue to invest in," Xbox head Phil Spencer said in that same interview. "This doubles the size of our creative organization."

Microsoft's purchases mark the most dramatic ways the company is looking to build up its Xbox brand. They also give the company more games to field in what's increasingly become a hits-driven business.

"This is a huge investment in games that they're going to get to play," he said.

Spencer also said Bethesda will run semi-independently, in an effort to keep the company building the games that brought it success in the first place. "It is about the culture of those teams," he said. "They're not about becoming us."

It's also why game companies will continue to be on Microsoft's radar. "We'll always look for places where there is that commonality of purpose, mission and culture," Nadella said, noting that the Xbox team has worked with ZeniMax companies including Bethesda since the first Xbox was released in 2001. "We will always look to grow inorganically where it makes sense."
Same talk as when Disney engulfed Fox, "content". Hmmm

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Steam has removed portions of games though. Especially music, for licensing shenanigans.

There's a way to revert to an earlier version so you can still get to listen to those songs. Lot of annoying effort to have to go through though.

We've been in the age of content since like 2011 or 2012 when streaming became Netflix's main business, and it was clear that'd be the future. It's actually a bit surprising it's taken the movie studios this long to really get into the streaming game as opposed to their weird shared deal with Hulu, and that Disney made the monumentally stupid move of selling off Miramax. Now it's about own img content, having tons and tons of content so your subscription service is filled out.

Buying Sega sure would give Microsoft a ton of content. Every arcade game they ever made outside of some licensed stuff like Jurassic Park and Star Wars Arcade, multiple generations of consoles where they producing a large number of games, everything they did post Dreamcast. That would be a whole hell of a lot of content.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buying Sega sure would give Microsoft a ton of content. Every arcade game they ever made outside of some licensed stuff like Jurassic Park and Star Wars Arcade, multiple generations of consoles where they producing a large number of games, everything they did post Dreamcast. That would be a whole hell of a lot of content.
The world has long moved past this console garbage.

Which world are you living it? Not the one where Disney, Warner Bros., and Paramount all have their own personal Netflix now. If you didn't think that kind of subscription was also where video games would be going you either aren't living in the real world, haven't been paying attention to the last decade of what's been happening with video games and movies, or are just blissfully unaware of shit. The world didn't move past it, it's just now moving into it.

You may not like where it's going, but that's not stopping shit from going that way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Which world are you living it? Not the one where Disney, Warner Bros., and Paramount all have their own personal Netflix now. If you didn't think that kind of subscription was also where video games would be going you either aren't living in the real world, haven't been paying attention to the last decade of what's been happening with video games and movies, or are just blissfully unaware of shit. The world didn't move past it, it's just now moving into it.

You may not like where it's going, but that's not stopping shit from going that way.
Yeah,i am sure that the world is trembling with expectation for the remake of some 32bit shitty console game. Grow up,only serial killer authists are play such games lol. People don't care about obsolete consoles from 30 years ago lol.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Sega fits the MS style and brand. As their CEO said above, they're buying stuff that fits what is seen as the Xbox type of game... Western action RPGs, FPS games, etc. I mean I'm not a console guy so maybe I'm making that up, but when I think of Xbox exclusives from all generations that kind of stuff is what comes to mind.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It fits probably because. It can complement where MS is severely lacking (Japanese games, JRPGs, Japanese and Asian market [where Xbox has been utterly failed at]) and bolster where one of the areas MS is striving for (PC games with long playtime like Football Manager and Total War).

SEGA is interesting. It was once a console manufacturer that old console gamers from both Asia and West fondly remember. And unlike other big Japanese publishers that are mostly specialized in certain genres, it's established (although not as specialized) in a wide range of genres. Also it has Sonic, one of the most iconic characters in video games.

Again, I have doubts about acquisition, but a big partnership like second party treatment (timed or permeant exclusives and simultaneous GamePass release for many titles) and SEGA branded Xbox in Japan wouldn't be surprising.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It fits probably because. It can complement where MS is severely lacking (Japanese games, JRPGs, Japanese and Asian market [where Xbox has been utterly failed at])

Yeah but they've gone that route before and gotten nowhere, and I'm pretty sure they're on record as saying they basically gave up. The CEO says directly above they're bolstering what people associate with Xbox, I think Sega would be a massive waste of money.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The CEO says directly above they're bolstering what people associate with Xbox, I think Sega would be a massive waste of money.
the only things i associate with xbox are boring dudebro shooters like halo and gears of war. Tbh i don't think bolstering that gives them anything worthwhile.

Sega, on the other hand...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom