Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hearkenwold - an IceBlink and DC engine Campaign

Replicante

Educated
This looks really cool! However I get many crashes while playing in windows 10, some of them forcing me to reboot. I also get "out of memory" in most of my errors. Trying playing with admin rights and compatilbility mode. I'm playing on an omen Laptop so specs aren't obviously a problem. Perhaps I should wait until it gets ported to another engine. But it looks really cool!

Dorateen

Arcane
This looks really cool! However I get many crashes while playing in windows 10, some of them forcing me to reboot. I also get "out of memory" in most of my errors. Trying playing with admin rights and compatilbility mode. I'm playing on an omen Laptop so specs aren't obviously a problem. Perhaps I should wait until it gets ported to another engine. But it looks really cool!

Hi Replicante. I'm sorry to hear about the crashing. I did some testing on a windows 10 laptop as well, but most of the building and playing I've done is on Windows 7 desktops. Are the crashes occurring at specific times, like in combat or during conversations? I'd like to look into any bugs that could be causing the issue.

Replicante

Educated
Hi there! it happens both in combat and wandering around, haven't been able to progress at all, since crash happens in the first 5 minutes or so. I get a black screen of death I'm afraid. I did update Java, my drivers, and such. it's strange. Anyway, I'll play it regardless if you eventually port it to KOTC2 or whatever. Regards.

Dorateen

Arcane
I forgot this thread was moved from the Workshop to General RPG Discussion.

Well, that was fun, redesigning the module in the Knights of the Chalice 2 editor. But now it is time to return to the IceBlink toolset to continue the adventure! When I left off last Summer, I had just completed the Wizards guild quest, the final one available to the different player classes. I had always been building toward these as an important moment in the campaign. As I've alluded to, the King of Hearkenwold is calling a council and only prestigious people will be admitted. This is the significance of the player joining at least one of the guilds when it gets to this point.

Here, a castle guard explains, which allows each character who has membership in a guild the option to demand entry.

tnmlS86.jpg

And this is a peek inside the council chambers. There is a nice spot open at the table for when the party gets around to joining the session after murderhobo-ing their way around the realm.

LAoj4BX.jpg

The next areas of the game that open up will feature new enemies. Some are quite large and interesting, appropriate for 8th or 9th level characters to fight. To start, I created a gargoyle mage. This stony imp has the basic template of a gargoyle, only it casts spells. The first time I tested the fight, I took the monster lightly and it ended up webbing the party and doing a lot of damage with lightning.

KCY8KQM.jpg

The Iceblink engine itself continues to develop, and internally we are up to build 200. There are a lot of neat features being added in, which I will be introducing in Hearkenwold. One big change is now the possibility to wield two weapons by equipping a second weapon in the off-hand (shield) slot. There are new traits for this as well to mitigate the attack penalties from fighting with the second weapon. In this screen below, our paladin has a vorpal blade in his main hand and equipped an elfish short sword in the other hand. The left side of the character sheet shows the side by side breakdown of his two attacks.

m2Ay3zM.jpg

Finally, I am now using animated weather effects on the outdoor maps. There are a number of settings that are designed around the four seasons (these are applied to each individual map properties) so that you get a lot of rain and clouds in the autumn or snowfall in the winter. There is also a weather effect for desert and swamp climates. To showcase this in action, I tried to make a gif that shows three different areas featuring rain, snow and a sandstorm.

9hXM11f.gif

The objective of the next part of Hearkenwold I will be releasing is to advance the arc of the central narrative in a major way and to include one expansive cavern dungeon. At this point, I am simply growing the campaign, building on an already established foundation. I have a number of the wilderness areas built as well as key encounters. This month I began work on the dungeon. I'm not sure I can finish everything this summer, but once I do I will then copy over the new content in IceBlink to the KotC 2 version. So those playthroughs in progress may continue, or allow a player to start over with an even wider adventure landscape.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
It's a damn labyrinth, that's what it is, lad. Dark passages winding deeper and deeper into the earth.
They've built themselves, curse their wicked claws, an underground kingdom just like ours.

~Brazor Hammerfell speaking to Talbreth Horseizer about the Khrystos Caverns

For the past month I have been working on the subterranean dungeon that will be the Khrystos Caverns. I have tried to create the maze-like quality as characterized by the words of the Dwarf-King. With multiple levels, the complex consists of more than a dozen interconnected maps to explore. There will be traps and treasures, secret passages, and of course monsters. Here is a glimpse of one area, showing various paths the party can take.

uP1hvEw.jpg

I am designing these caves around a mid-level party. There are still some fights that are fairly dangerous, and players might need to come back to try when they are stronger. Nevertheless, I would place the difficulty as pre-Guild Adventure content.

Speaking of monsters, this was a memorable cartoon that featured in the first edition AD&D Monster Manual:

Qcb2cZ1.jpg

Hearkenwold too now has a Giant Lynx among its growing bestiary. Large, intelligent felines with the capability to cast spells. This one below is accompanied by two ogres, probably telling them what to do.

VPSaK6b.jpg

The version of the IceBlink engine that will be used when the updated module is released has a lot of new additions, which I started to mention in the previous update. One mechanic that had been missing was the ability to score critical hits. This goes for both player characters, and enemies. In the combat log below, it shows one of the fat ogres landed a critical on our paladin for 36 hit points of damage.

tuYuDYO.jpg

Also, I am presently adding many new spells to the magic repertoire. These include: Barkskin, Bull Strength, Call Lightning, Cat Grace, Cause Disease, Cloudkill, Defensive Stance, Entangle, Gust of Wind, Haste, and Vampiric Touch. There will be more to come.

There is also a Dimension Door spell available, but it can only be obtained by wizards through special means.

With the inclusion of the new spells, I am giving the spell icons an overhaul. Here is a screen when a wizard levels up, and is choosing a new spell to learn.

kCoScMB.jpg

And here is the Entangle spell in action:

mgmYf3o.jpg

Of course, enemies now have access to this magic as well. There are new monsters who can drain hit points on successful attacks (Vampiric Touch) and mummy like creatures have a chance to cause disease on hit.

I am going to try to finish the Caverns this month. This dungeon is the focus of half the new content that will be available, and then I need to work on the remaining areas outside this scope, mostly the surrounding wilderness locations and points of interest. At this point, I am still cautiously optimistic to have it done by the end of the summer.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I finished most of the work on the Khrystos Caverns last month, and it is shaping up to be an interesting exploration. There is a mix of mid-level encounters, and also some fights that a party of 5th/6th level characters might have to tackle later. With an assortment of traps and events, there is a good opportunity here to pick up new treasure as well as face some creatures for the first time. A couple of new monsters include the spectral spider. This frightening variation has the ability to drain hit points on a successful attack, as shown in stat block on the combat screen below:

1bjeNiT.jpg

And then there are some green slimes. When doing research on this monster type, I recalled there was a change in later editions of D&D making the slime a dungeon hazard rather than a monster in the manual. However, I like throwing these oozes at the party as something to fight. Of course, the green slimes are immune to physical attacks in addition to having other resistances. And they cause disease, which lowers a character's ability scores.

9KPzuJX.jpg

This month, I will turn attention to the wilderness areas that have been increasing the size of the Hearkenwold map. These areas include friendly NPCs as well as hand crafted encounters for the party to stumble upon. I have one more optional, wacky dungeon that will be available to entertain the adventurous, and that will probably take up most the work. Some examples of non-combat situations include meeting this lady, and reporting after some rascals have been dealt with.

s9McY02.jpg

What happens when an incorrigible party member sits in the comfy chair of a powerful wizard?

aHNCAPP.jpg

2HKfmqU.jpg

I am still planning to finish everything up around the middle of September, a lot will depend on how much I can accomplish over the next few weeks. The new version of the campaign that includes this content will have all the updates to the IceBlink engine as well, such as the outdoor weather effects, new spells and traits, light and finesse properties for some weapons. One of the things I am most pleased about is the connectivity of the maps with the existing adventure. For example, there has always been a short cut to get to the Dwarf Village, but now a player can walk to that location on foot. Although it could be a long and dangerous journey for unproven characters.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey Dorateen , can I ask u about your DC (Dungeon Craft) version of Hearkenwold? Is it updated and ready to go? I'd like to check out DC sometime soon perhaps, and that would be my first look at a module for DC, if possible. Approximately how many hours of adventure are possible in the DC version of Hearkenwold? As always, appreciate your contributions to RPGing, man. U are a legend. :)

Dorateen

Arcane
Hey Dorateen , can I ask u about your DC (Dungeon Craft) version of Hearkenwold? Is it updated and ready to go? I'd like to check out DC sometime soon perhaps, and that would be my first look at a module for DC, if possible. Approximately how many hours of adventure are possible in the DC version of Hearkenwold? As always, appreciate your contributions to RPGing, man. U are a legend. :)

The DC version I was working on goes back to 2015, I think, even before I made the design for FRUA. I have not touched that version in years, but I would think the link on the DungeonCraft forums should still work. I have not kept up with development, so I'm not sure if there were later builds or any conflicts, but you could give it a try.

As far as the content, DC does not contain everything I've done in the IceBlink engine since then. I believe the adventure only goes up to the city of Khyn. In fact, I went further in FRUA, releasing a part I and part II, and a stand alone "bridge over troubled waters", that is the next map in the adventure.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Nice, Dorateen! So I should play the FRUA version then? Or Iceblink - or are the FRUA and Iceblink versions essentially the same? Thanks for the information man, appreciate it! :)

Edit - I'll likely play in Iceblink. Seems the most robust now that I am looking thru this thread.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Over the last few weeks I have been adding content to various wilderness maps. This might be bad news for the party as they can now stumble across more unpleasant things. Such as giant, blood sucking leeches. Here, our party's wizard responds in the most logical way possible: by targeting the leeches for a fireball spell.

Lv0rSpd.jpg

There is also an opportunity to converse with a colony of myconids. Although it appears what we have here is a failure to communicate.

66c12Sm.jpg

In other places, I am working on an arena-like location that has several levels for fighting monsters. These are groups of enemies that will be appearing in the campaign for the first time. That is always exciting to encounter new enemy types, such as the Wyndlass. This large creature has a good armor class and numerous tentacle attacks per round. How many attacks? Let's ask our party's ranger.

"Too many!"

55MVyMJ.jpg

On the bright side, there is also the chance to find unusual treasure.

BTC3GOH.jpg

Lastly, I wanted to include another screenshot of one of the maps from the Khrystos Caverns dungeon. Having different directions to follow keeps the exploration interesting, as well as increasing the possibility for getting lost. What I am hoping to achieve is a sense of wonder behind each door or passageway, encouraging the player to go a little deeper and a little further.

0RXAVA6.jpg

Right now, I am in the midst of working on the other optional arena area. I'm about halfway finished. Looking at the calendar, it takes me about one week to complete a level so I should have it all done by the end of the month. This is the last thing I am working on, so the module should be ready to post in October.

Recently, I uploaded a new video that shows some of the weather effects and new content that will be available to advanced parties. These characters are around level 8, and have completed the guild adventures already.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I have a new version of the Hearkenwold campaign available for Iceblink. The module can be downloaded here:

Hearkenwold

This uses the latest build 203 of the Iceblink engine, and includes many new changes.

The primary objective of this update is to continue the adventure past the events in Skardale, while expanding further the world map. To this end, I also added a number of new wilderness areas and associated content, along with one extensive cavern dungeon. These were designed as a mix of higher level difficulty, for characters who finished the guild quests for example, and also mid-level parties around 5th or 6th level. In addition to these new playable areas, the following changes include:
  • Weather effects when moving through outdoor locations. Maps are assigned season properties, which will show rain, fog, snow and even sandstorms.
  • New spells for wizards and clerics
  • New traits, characters can now wield a weapon in their off hand
  • New monsters to fight and items to find
Anyone who had previously started a run through the module, can easily transfer saves to the new version. Just copy the Hearkenwold folder from the saves folder in the IceBlink folder, and paste into the saves folder of IBv203

Here is a glimpse of one of the many encounters the party can face.

t7oWuW2.jpg

One other feature the new engine brings, is the ability to choose the window size to play in. When launching the IceBlink application, players can select full screen as well as other sizes.

9jIRW7k.jpg

Finally, I updated the image that shows how the individual overland maps connect, incorporating all the new locations.

UhuH97G.jpg

I am planning to start next week copying all the new content into the Knights of the Chalice 2 version of the adventure module.

Dorateen

Arcane
Just an animated image from the latest build of Hearkenwold in the IceBlink engine, which includes weather effects on the outdoor maps. What could be better than spending Yule with the snow falling outside the Dwarven Halls.

hbBuuGu.gif

I will have the Knights of the Chalice 2 version of the module ready in early January.

Dorateen

Arcane
Returning to the IceBlink engine, I have been working to adapt the Edinmoor module I had made into Hearkenwold. This will continue to build the structure of an open, broad campaign with various adventures the party can stumble upon. Edinmoor was designed for 7th to 9th level characters in mind, but it will be placed on the gameworld map in a location that can be accessed by lower level parties. I first created this adventure right after playing Storm of Zehir, and one of the reasons was to explore use of the new party chat conversation interface. These branching, conditional-based dialogues subsequently feature heavily.

I've got some screenshots to share. Here, a boastful tracker is met along the approach to Edinmoor Court.

V9MWaPM.jpg

One of the first indicators that characters could be in over their heads exploring is when the wolves they run into are large dire wolves.

LxPul33.jpg

This is a peek inside the walls of Edinmoor keep.

0FEH7bl.jpg

Another merchant in the area is a tailor. For worldbuilding purposes, it was necessary to show him with an inventory of clothing items. More of an interest for wizards perhaps, although a high dexterity character might benefit as well while looking fashionable.

mPhMRD5.jpg

Finally, new enemies will also be encountered, such as dryads who can cast barkskin and entangle.

XCjTPtU.jpg

I still have three more dungeons to build and an additional outdoor area. If these take me about a month each to complete, then I should hope to have the next version of Hearkenwold including this content ready by June.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It's great to hear you're adding more content to the campaign. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of the most memorable RPGs I've played in the last years.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Returning to the IceBlink engine, I have been working to adapt the Edinmoor module I had made into Hearkenwold. This will continue to build the structure of an open, broad campaign with various adventures the party can stumble upon. Edinmoor was designed for 7th to 9th level characters in mind, but it will be placed on the gameworld map in a location that can be accessed by lower level parties. I first created this adventure right after playing Storm of Zehir, and one of the reasons was to explore use of the new party chat conversation interface. These branching, conditional-based dialogues subsequently feature heavily.

I've got some screenshots to share. Here, a boastful tracker is met along the approach to Edinmoor Court.

V9MWaPM.jpg

One of the first indicators that characters could be in over their heads exploring is when the wolves they run into are large dire wolves.

LxPul33.jpg

This is a peek inside the walls of Edinmoor keep.

0FEH7bl.jpg

Another merchant in the area is a tailor. For worldbuilding purposes, it was necessary to show him with an inventory of clothing items. More of an interest for wizards perhaps, although a high dexterity character might benefit as well while looking fashionable.

mPhMRD5.jpg

Finally, new enemies will also be encountered, such as dryads who can cast barkskin and entangle.

XCjTPtU.jpg

I still have three more dungeons to build and an additional outdoor area. If these take me about a month each to complete, then I should hope to have the next version of Hearkenwold including this content ready by June.
Glad to see you’re not dead man.

Dorateen

Arcane
Continuing work on the Edinmoor adventure in the ever-expanding Hearkenwold campaign, I've finished off one dungeon last month. At the moment, I am working on a new area of mountain wilderness. Hopefully this will not take too long and I can begin building another dungeon location in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, here are a few recent screenshots:

The party battles some goons with the player characters starting combat from a raised stage/platform. This means they have to work their way down to get at the enemy, which includes multiple spellcasters.

tEjuVge.jpg

Here, a character with low constitution has a chance to express hesitation about going through a suspicious door.

FkUEA7v.jpg

Elsewhere in the adventure, the party rescues a dwarven merchant from being attacked by treants. He thinks the monsters are some kind of lycanthropic "were-trees" and silver would be an effective measure against them. Our wizard tries to correct the fellow, but you know what they say about arguing with a dwarf.

7m9yPFp.jpg

The above screens are a couple of more examples demonstrating the party-chat conversation, where different characters can engage in dialogue with responses keyed to attributes.

If I can maintain this schedule, I should have the next IceBlink version of the module ready by June.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dorateen
I looked at the map editor a couple of times and searched for assets like already made maps I'd only have to resize, while there is some good ones, making a module with more than 5 maps with those would lead very inconsistent art.
On the other hand, making good looking maps with the editor doesn't seem possible either without a handful of extra assets.

Are you using iceblink tilemapper? And if so, do you know where to get some extra assets? (boats for example or boat wrecks)

There's also the question of managing quests, scripts, npc and everything, really, are you taking notes, writing down everything before you even touch an editor?
Seems quite the challenge to keep track of everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom