Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders: Planetfall - AoW gone to space

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I remember getting so excited with the initial marketing of this game, hinting at Dune influences and fighting between different "houses". AoW: Dune would have made even buying a day one paradox game palatable.

What a fucking joke that the ended up with furrys launching sparklers at space dinosaurs. Clearly no vision or clear idea of what the hell they were trying to build.

thesecret1

Arcane
I remember getting so excited with the initial marketing of this game, hinting at Dune influences and fighting between different "houses". AoW: Dune would have made even buying a day one paradox game palatable.

What a fucking joke that the ended up with furrys launching sparklers at space dinosaurs. Clearly no vision or clear idea of what the hell they were trying to build.
I think making retarded nonsense was the vision, actually. Wasn't one of the minor factions literally gamers gone insane or something? Or the array of wanna be funny descriptions everywhere? I think they hoped they'd attract the reddit crown with silliness and nonsense.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

I think making retarded nonsense was the vision, actually. Wasn't one of the minor factions literally gamers gone insane or something? Or the array of wanna be funny descriptions everywhere? I think they hoped they'd attract the reddit crown with silliness and nonsense.

Yeah, I can only assume they were told to make AoW3 but drop the traditional fantasy influences and chase a young diverse market of social media-dwelling morons.

Shame really. I have mixed feelings about AoW3 but a sequel could have removed some of the harmful streamlining and been a real classic.

Not the first stinker Triumph made, keep in mind. Remember Age of Wonders II? Had some good ideas, but in many aspects was weaker than the OG.

And then they made Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Which is pretty much AOWII, but actually awesome.

Honestly, with AOWIII they got the ingredients for good turn-based combat. All they need is to enhance presentation, and oh, give us a campaign like that of the original AOW1, but better

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Design of this game, as evidenced by its final expansion:

1. The new faction's combat unit line is pretty much completely melee (there's only one dedicated ranged unit, which is single shot and short range) when melee in this game is incredibly clunky, unsatisfying and overall extremely shit and this expansion does absolutely nothing to fix or change this.
2. The new faction's heroes are strongly pigeonholed into vehicle driving, which strongly exacerbates the issue of extremely declined hero development/itemization compared to previous games.
3. The new faction's combat unit line has only one light/infantry unit (that the player is strongly incentivized to use as little as possible), so a plethora of upgrades/mods, some of which are absolute cornerstone of certain secret techs, is almost completely useless for them.
4. They introduced a completely new tech tree for entropy damage channel that is available only for the new faction, but the new faction is heavily focused on arc and entropy is only available for their support units, which are custom-made to use their buffs/debuffs 99% of the time, not attacks.

So they release this final chapter like "hey, you know how our game sucks and everybody knows why? here are some extra reminders, enjoy". I would really like to see some honest post-mortem on this. And I'm really worried about AoW4 now.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
"Just wait until Greg gets into the office and realizes I've made his new tech tree completely pointless by redesigning the roster- that'll teach the bastard to fuck my wife."

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah even after the first expansion I was still disappointed with it. But I tried it again recently with a bunch of dlc and shit and somehow it is really fun now, lots of depth.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That's cause the final expansion was fucking ace. Two races, best class in the game, three new two level specializations with great perks and tier 4 summons, race xp trees and some other stuff. It alone brought more content and incline than all Planetfall dlc.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's cause the final expansion was fucking ace. Two races, best class in the game, three new two level specializations with great perks and tier 4 summons, race xp trees and some other stuff. It alone brought more content and incline than all Planetfall dlc.
I prefer single player random generated map without last expansion, it feels better balanced.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So lets say something from game development perspective:

They tried to make a SF game, game where RANGED combat and camouflage is paramount, game in era where space warfare exist and orbital bombardment is a thing, when not outlawed by some treaty, or planet they are fighting is too irrelevant, and ships on the orbit have gentleman agreement to not fight with each other around the planet.

But still. When you look at what fans wants. You see fan sees a SF movie with tanks massacring everything, and wants tank. Even in situation where GL decided he wants walking metal elephants with laser cannons, and SF show uses them, then fan is willing to accept that thing as the second best he can get.

Funnily there are decent games that represent WWII tank combat in high detail. For example Steel Panthers world at war. Or Close Combat. In these games, tanks are not overpowered monsters, not even KV-Ic. In recent years tanks are even less overpowered monsters than KV-Ic, or Mouse. Nowadays it's also about antitank teams that have nice fire and forget guided missiles. Missiles immune to IR jammers and decoys like Shtora. Thus tanks moved into methodology that uses hard kill by short range anti-missile system. (Which is totally bad for nearby infantry.)

Obviously there is also camouflage, terrain scanning, active denial systems, and other stuff. Considering SF tanks are typically using lasers, and possibly can hover above terrain to pop and shoot then run down again, there is a lot of differences between SF tanks and WWII/current era tanks. But, the importance of well simulating armor, camouflage, and ranged combat is undeniable.

And these are three main areas where theirs game sucks.

Basically using the system they used for melee squad combat, and limited range combat to simulate combat that includes BWR was quite bad idea. You can put clothes on a pig, and it's still a pig. You need to slice pig to pieces when you want bacon.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Seems they took a system they developed for fantasy combat and shoved sci-fi elements into it.

Makes sense that would be unsatisfying and sucky.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some really important stuff in that. No tier 4 summons was so lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom