Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch Dogs: Legion - wacky adventures in dystopian London

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Man reading about games that aren't out yet sucks.

Puukko

Arcane
So are these games actually popular enough to warrant sequels or is it Ubisoft adopting a "go big or die trying" mindset where other big publishers would have given up after the first game? I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually discuss these games beyond when the first game generated some buzz, but it might very well be that these games are right up there next to AC when it comes to blockbusters that normies buy, and I have no idea.

ADL

Prophet
So are these games actually popular enough to warrant sequels or is it Ubisoft adopting a "go big or die trying" mindset where other big publishers would have given up after the first game? I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually discuss these games beyond when the first game generated some buzz, but it might very well be that these games are right up there next to AC when it comes to blockbusters that normies buy, and I have no idea.
People are definitely buying games in the series.
According to Ubisoft's sales figures, Watch Dogs had sold ten million copies by the fiscal quarter ending December 31, 2014. Watch Dogs 2 has sold more than 10 million copies by the end of the 2019–20 fiscal year

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Plenty of companies in plenty of industries seem to be able to limp along despite constantly pushing shit that nobody wants.

People want to shell out money to maintain their backlog, sure. Your average emotionally-broken and over stimulated gamer needs his/her fix. I don’t imagine completion rates for AAA games is impressive.

Drakron

Arcane
According to Ubisoft's sales figures, Watch Dogs had sold ten million copies by the fiscal quarter ending December 31, 2014. Watch Dogs 2 has sold more than 10 million copies by the end of the 2019–20 fiscal year

First game was different and driven by hype.

Also the first game launched in May and sold 4 millions in the first week and then "over" 8 millions by July, this means it sold 2 millions in the remaining 5 months so ... hype followed by sales dive as the second game launched in November 2016 with the only news being a drop over the original with no actual numbers besides the "over 10 million by March 2020", it was many times heavily discounted so its not a suprise but still ... the first game sold the same amount in less that a year as the second took about 3 years to get there.

As for Legion, its currently ranked #246 in Amazon, Cyberpunk 2277? #22 ... AssCreed REEEhala? #82, it will sell but then again throw enough hype and anything sells for some weeks, then it dives.

Are they buying the game or a video card?
Both games have been given away for free on multiple occasions. Getting a free game on uplay counts as a $0 purchase.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Watch Dogs 2 was >>>>>>>>>>>> GTA 5.
Konjad typical user
clear.png
Disagree x 2
How about Watch Dogs 2 Singleplayer was >>>>>>>>>>>>>> GTA 5?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It looks like WD2 again with some gameplay refinements, better multiplayer, newer graphics, better setting, etc. Seems aight!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watch Dogs 2 was >>>>>>>>>>>> GTA 5.
Konjad typical user
clear.png
Disagree x 2
How about Watch Dogs 2 Singleplayer was >>>>>>>>>>>>>> GTA 5?
didn't play mp in WD2, and did play in GTA V - it was horrible.

Writing in WD2 was to horrendous, jokes were not funny and only cringe. I couldn't get much into it. GTA V, on the other hand, had decent enough humor most of the time, and dialogues were alright. Overall it wasn't one of the best games in the series, but fine enough and worth the price.

Ebonsword

Arcane
On yesterday's Zero Punctuation stream, Yahtzee said that he had been hired to do "punch ups" on the dialogue in Watch Dogs: Legion.

I haven't really been following the game, so I don't know if this was already known.

I'm not sure that it makes me any more likely to buy the game, but I do find it interesting.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been tinkering with the NPC profiling a bit and hot damn, it's shaping up to be much better than the other two games. In WD1 and 2 you profile people to mess shit up or steal money. In this game you're looking for people who fit the archetypes you're looking for, and some affect things outside of combat. It says in loading screen that a lawyer character can help arrested operative immediately out of jail (not sure how that works in my Ironman playthrough), and I found a drone expert who has more drone control skills than my starting character which didn't show up the first time I profiled him.

Some of the AI set behaviour is pretty interesting too. For Albion guards you don't see their trait but rather guarding schedule. A few people will have their profile showed where they're heading to (I passed a protest on the street, 20 secs later, I found a guy with anarchist trait heading right to a protest, presumably that one). Found a dude walking fast like he's being chased, on the profile a woman named Magda is berating him, 3 secs later that woman crossed in front of me yelling at him.

But no more messing around, time to build my own mercenary band of Karens

X0Li41t.jpg

Hellion

Arcane
Easily the best WD game so far. It abandons WD2's colorful hipsterism (THANK GOD) and shifts majorly towards the more serious side. Plus London is gorgeous.

Of course, there are still instances like this:

111.jpg

Hellion

Arcane
Early review copy is early. I've been playing it for 5-6 days now.

:positive:

It's out on the 29th, officially. Review embargo ends about this time tomorrow.

Hellion

Arcane
This was more for marketing reasons, would be my guess. And there are some whacky elements, of course (like recruiting old people as seen in the trailer, or recruiting "Magician" NPCs who can hypnotize enemies, and other gimmicks like that), which allow the player to have his whacky adventure if that is what he wants from the game.

But for the most part the plot is rather dark, dealing with elements like mass bombings, human trafficking, organ black market, the ethics of technology like neural mapping and A.I... Plus, London is naturally a much more "grim" location compared to colorful 'Frisco.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'd like to know:

1) Is it fun?
2) Is it better than WD2 in terms of combat?
3) In terms of everything else?
4) Can you complete it or is it a buggy chore?
E) Should I get it in 2021 like a sensible person?

Hellion

Arcane
It is fun, more fun and a better game overall than WD2 in every way as far as I'm concerned, and the only "bug" I've seen is some instances of retarted AI pathfinding. For example, an NPC must follow you out of a building but for some reason he can't seem to go through doors so he gets stuck in a room until the 5th or 6th time he tries to follow. Other than that I've finished the main storyline without any bugs or crashes whatsoever.

Its Online/Co-op content is still out of the game, though, and is expected to be added with a patch in December. So if one plans to play it mainly for the Co-op aspects, he should wait. Other than that, I guess that when to get it depends on how yuge a Watch Dogs fan one is, and the amount of shekels he is comfortable with spending in order to get it.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If a mission requires you to infiltrate Scotland Yard, and you have an officer operative... game kinda becomes Hitman lite

bGGjNAy.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom