Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I actually liked the Marauders in inconvenient places. Felt very Dark Souls (in an actual sense. It's hard to use to this term now since it has been abused beyond repair).

I just wish the game wasn't that god damn try hard. Muh slayer. Muh rip and tear. Then again id soft was always shit with that (starting with Quake 2) so i guess it's part of their tradition now lel. Their commitment to torture faggots who can't into video games is admirable though.

Caim

Arcane
So is the difficulty "tough but fair" kind or "annoying fuck you" kind? Saw some really butthurt steam reviews that claimed they ruined the gameplay, one especially was mad about the spirits.
The game is almost entirely in the "tough but fair" category. It's the Thy Flesh Consumed of Doom Eternal: it'll kick your ass, but only if you let it. I encountered one unfortunte game-breaking bug in the second level, where the dog stopped moving. I fixed that by going the other direction first. Now, the game reaching bullshit levels was at the final phase of the final boss. You need to dodge so much shit at the same time while keeping up your resources that it becomes a pain in the ass.

The game is almost entirely in the "tough but fair" category. It's the Thy Flesh Consumed of Doom Eternal

Hopefully it isn't map 2 of Thy Flesh Consumed though. :lol:

I actually liked the Marauders in inconvenient places. Felt very Dark Souls (in an actual sense. It's hard to use to this term now since it has been abused beyond repair).

What defines Dark Souls (and Sekiro) difficulty for me is being raped initially but then making those games my bitch once I figure them out. I haven't had this experience with "fuck you" placements of Marrauders yet, even on second run I was dying multiple times to that shit until finally getting lucky. Could be my own fault, of course, and maybe I'll change my mind about it once I do another run before DLC.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
The game is almost entirely in the "tough but fair" category. It's the Thy Flesh Consumed of Doom Eternal
Hopefully it isn't mission 2 of Thy Flesh Consumed though. :lol:
Dunno, how do you feel about fighting a Tyrant in a tunnel that's as tall as and twice as wide as a Tyrant? Twice? Or when you're hunting for a Buff Totem, only to find it in a cage and to open said cage you need to take down a Marauder who's already on top of your ass? Or the misty arena where your vision goes to shit that's filled with shield guys and regenerating gas mines while having to fight off your second Spirit, a bunch of Pinkies and a Doom Hunter? Because it's like that.

Yeah sounds pretty fair.. I haven't watched gameplay footage so I don't actually know what these spirits are like. Fuck it, I'll see for myself. I'm sure I'll do some raging at least initially. I always do. But as long as it's possible to figure out a way to deal with these things efficiently that doesn't feel luck based I'm a happy guy.

Ash

Arcane
Guess I'll reinstall tomorrow and grab the DLC. They're kinda lagging though. It's been how long since release and they've only pushed out 4 new levels and 2 (?) Master Levels? Base game already only had I think it was 10 maps.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah sounds pretty fair.. I haven't watched gameplay footage so I don't actually know what these spirits are like. Fuck it, I'll see for myself. I'm sure I'll do some raging at least initially. I always do. But as long as it's possible to figure out a way to deal with these things efficiently that doesn't feel luck based I'm a happy guy.
Honestly, the spirits themselves aren't that bad to deal with. You just need to avoid being murdered by the rest of the demons while dealing with them.

Honestly, the spirits themselves aren't that bad to deal with. You just need to avoid being murdered by the rest of the demons while dealing with them.

Kind of like Marrauders then. A joke in 1v1 fight but annoying when mixed with other enemies.

Caim

Arcane
Kind of like Marrauders then. A joke in 1v1 fight but annoying when mixed with other enemies.
Pretty much. If you don't kill them fast enough they'll inhabit another body, which can be used to your advantage if you are in a situation where you can't kill it right away. But be wary of what's around you, because if you mess up at one point you can look forward to a Spirit-inhabited Doom Hunter.

Israfael

Arcane
nd the Maykr fight
.. is actually the easiest boss of all (considering the factr that maykr bots are basically hp and armor pinatas), I one shot her as compared to many tries on the other bosses or just harder arenas. But I play a lot of TF2 (that's team fortress, not something called titanfall which many people associate with tf2 for some reason), so for people who are conditioned with modern military shooters or slower games it's mayhaps harder than the others...

Easiest, my ass. First few punches are easy to land but then she goes nuts with burning floors bullshit and I can't even land my ass on non damaging floor half the time.

KVVRR

Learned
All of the dirty tricks this expansion pulls are kinda funny, doubly so considering the unsuspecting return-players and witless journalists they're being pulled on. Like trapping you in a box with a cyberdemon, making you duel a totem-buffed marauder, and also those demon-hopping spirits.

Man, if journos were having trouble with the first level, I shudder to imagine how long the final boss of this thing took them.
The part in the swamp with the heavy fog and invisible pinkies/snakes made me smile just for how fucking slimy it was. I think that's a good measurer for the quality of the dlc, it's full of cheap tricks like that but I couldn't help to actually like it and try to beat it.
The game might still be too easy on anything but Nightmare though.

Ash

Arcane
How is the level design, better, equal to or worse than the base game? Does it still follow the same formula of Arena -> Minor exploration with stray enemies, platforming and occasional (minor) puzzle elements -> Arena? Like a 50/50 split arena time and other.
As much as arena encounters have their place and presence in nearly every FPS, and as well done they are in Doom Eternal, I'd like to see a slight adjustment to the ratio found within levels. More freeform play like classic doom, but still keep the arena focus. 70/30 - That'd still be more arena focus than most FPS.

KVVRR

Learned
How is the level design, better, equal to or worse than the base game? Does it still follow the same formula of Arena -> Minor exploration with stray enemies, platforming and occasional (minor) puzzle elements -> Arena? Like a 50/50 split arena time and other.
As much as arena encounters have their place and presence in nearly every FPS, and as well done they are in Doom Eternal, I'd like to see a slight adjustment to the ratio found within levels. More freeform play like classic doom, but still keep the arena focus. 70/30 - That'd still be more arena focus than most FPS.
I think they went even more in with the arena element in this one, mostly because they just keep throwing enemies at you and the doors just won't open until the 20th wave.

Caim

Arcane
There's still a focus on the arenas, which are pretty well designed, but I do feel there's more of a focus on putting enemies in the hallways between the arenas than there was in the base game. And it's not just Imps, you'll be running into more of the bigger enemies along the way.

sullynathan

Arcane
I want to face a buff totem'ed, empowered and spirited Marauder for the shits and giggles, and speaking of the spirit, it's a niece touch that it's the summoner from '16.
Why doesn't the game have a forge/map editor thing where you can just fill in enemies in an arena of yoru choice?

Caim

Arcane
I want to face a buff totem'ed, empowered and spirited Marauder for the shits and giggles, and speaking of the spirit, it's a niece touch that it's the summoner from '16.
Why doesn't the game have a forge/map editor thing where you can just fill in enemies in an arena of yoru choice?
No time/resources, plus it takes away from the "oh dear there's two of them now" factor you had with the Marauders for the DLC.

Reinhardt

Arcane
This isn't 2 hour 20 dollar DLC. No, the first level alone will take you two hours to beat and there are 4. This sort of feels like a sequel actually. Honestly, another developer would have charged 60 dollars for this. You give the money, you get the product. No bullshit. I wish more companies did this. Some skins in some games cost just as much.
So we already went from "60$ for 8 hours?!" to "at least it's not 2 hours!"

DemonKing

Arcane
I think they went even more in with the arena element in this one, mostly because they just keep throwing enemies at you and the doors just won't open until the 20th wave.

The problem with this approach is there's very little world building (unless you like to get everything from journal entries). You basically walk into arena after arena, the door behind you closes, and you spend the next ten minutes running around like a lunatic waiting for your nades to recharge and trying to find an imp to chainsaw to get your health/ammo back up. I have no idea why I'm doing this.

The arenas are better integrated in Doom 2016 and even the base game than here and at least in those games I had a vague idea what my motivation was for mindless slaughter and there was a little room to breathe between arena encounters.

Last edited:
There's plenty of arena-based Doom megawads. E.G., Ancient Aliens uses this approach, locks the door behind you and throws a lot of stuff your way.

Which megawads have you jumping/dashing around all over the place and milking enemies for health/armor/ammo? Eternal is a fun shooter but it simply isn't Doom.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Which megawads have you jumping/dashing around all over the place and milking enemies for health/armor/ammo? Eternal is a fun shooter but it simply isn't Doom.
Well, I was wondering about the overall difficulty, since folks seem to praise it a lot in that regard.

Although Guncaster allows for flying/jumping around and has goodies dropping out from monsters...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom