Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Glad to see you're rejecting the decline of Bioware's execrable Real-Time-with-Pause system for the sunlit uplands of turn-based tactical combat. :M

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
So what's the overall take on the game? Good, bad, indifferent?
Let's look at what people who actually played the game think:

5Zevjwz.png

Now would you look at that, even in its current state 88% think it's a great game... The codex is getting butt blasted again. And keep on shilling for BG3 Ontoposhit.

source.gif

5Zevjwz.png

Now would you look at that, even in its current state 88% think it's a great game... The codex is getting butt blasted again. And keep on shilling for BG3 Ontoposhit.

source.gif

I asked for an answer to a question not for a political manifesto.

Elex

Arbiter

5Zevjwz.png

source.gif
Solasta is at 95%. Remove all the larian design stuff and use only 5e D&D ruleset with proper application of rest limitation for a 98% or 99%
Do it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Orchestral soundtracks are almost always big decline because the tracks end up being far too overdone for the sake of making use of the entire orchestra.
Stop trying to make video games have scores that sound like they belong in a movie

Orchestral is better than orchestral + vocal. Case in point: W3, that threw earsplitting autistic screeching at you within seconds of every combat starting and stopping. So you got something like this evertime you killed a few drowners:
Ne ne na,
ne ne na,
na na na na, na na na na ne na,
Ne ne na,
ne ne na,
na na na na, na na na na ne na,
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!.

For anyone interested, there's a mod tht brings back the orchestral tracks from the first two games. Mostly the first one. That mod was the main reason I made it through the game to completion.

Gargaune

Magister
Orchestral soundtracks are almost always big decline because the tracks end up being far too overdone for the sake of making use of the entire orchestra.
Stop trying to make video games have scores that sound like they belong in a movie
I really dunno why people were gushing over BG3's soundtrack, it's serviceable, but really nothing inspiring. So often these composers get caught up in trying to make the music itself that they miss the mark on what it's meant to accomplish. BG3's strikes me as overcooked, pompous and even reverent, like the devs tried to impress upon the composer the "importance" of Baldur's Gate. And I have no clue what the fuck they were thinking when they got that chick wailing about some stupid, sodding river.

By comparison, you can picture BioWare approaching Hoening (or Zur) and when he asks what it should sound like, they go "uh, dunno, that Conan movie sounded pretty cool." So the man gets to work and knocks it out of the fucking park - it's adventurous, it's exciting, it's manly and it makes you wanna go out and punch a goblin in the gob.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You could get a 90% on steam for including a single titty. It's no surprise that having a couple cultists around can get you at least to an 88. The whole reason corporations go full soulless is to appeal to the ignorant masses. Why would you expect them to have taste? Even more, why would you put any value in their taste?

Solasta has a higher rating anyways. Imagine being happy that a company with 400+ employees and over a decade of experience was beat by a team of a couple dozen who can't even draw a proper GUI. Or who can't afford to put more than 5 classes into their game.

Surprisingly, the worse thing to come out of larian isn't their video games covered in ineptitude. It's their cultists that need a game to allow them to design their own waifu on the starter screen. You made an alt account in response to my existence. I can't tell if you're a larian cultist or an Ontopoly cultist, but I'm hoping you're not mine because I would hope that my cultists at least have some taste and aren't this desperate for my attention

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I really dunno why people were gushing over BG3's soundtrack, it's serviceable, but really nothing inspiring. So often these composers get caught up in trying to make the music itself that they miss the mark on what it's meant to accomplish. BG3's strikes me as overcooked, pompous and even reverent, like the devs tried to impress upon the composer the "importance" of Baldur's Gate. And I have no clue what the fuck they were thinking when they got that chick wailing about some stupid, sodding river.

By comparison, you can picture BioWare approaching Hoening (or Zur) and when he asks what it should sound like, they go "uh, dunno, that Conan movie sounded pretty cool." So the man gets to work and knocks it out of the fucking park - it's adventurous, it's exciting, it's manly and it makes you wanna go out and punch a goblin in the gob.

Conan is based off a composers Roman Film which is based off of Carl Orff I believe. It doesn't matter all music comes from other music.

Let's not forget a young daughter composing the orgy theme on a flute(hard to remember) and the composer hating Trombones it's Horns!

BG3 sounds like they are trying to do their own thing. Though everything sounds pretty flat. "It does sound like the musicians really care about the project they are involved in."

"I have to give respect to anyone that works in the industry as an in house composer."

What i hear though is the composer not having a very good grasp on how to change keys, create new phrases to bring about new subject matter(Harmonic progression) All sort of mismash of ideas.

But this must be some contemporary modern style for the Orchestration and Choir pieces it's all over the place.

I don't like the dynamics there pretty flat too.

Nothing really stands out as a strong theme to me.

I am watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMrCOX4qZMo

That's my observation. It's to easy to be critical of something.

I would like to hear some Timpani Rolls with crescendos to Forte then back down to P also some Wind swirls or
some arps to fill phrases as answering phrases. Everything just sounds so flat.

Alright this music directing is really bad. Did the composer decide this? Does fine job of filling in atmospheres but then just go into la la land with some weird choir chant things I don't even know WHAHAHA

WTF!?

Yea like I said just has poor judgement of creating harmonic progressions even as Harp and Wind ensemble.

That's my take. I am never playing the game. Also what's the deal with all these cut scenes?

What the heck did they do to this Shadow Heart chick she looks ugly I don't recall her looking like that
when I first saw this game displayed.

I can't even understand how there is no underlining theme. This beach area is a great way to show that theme even as Celtic FLute over harp in the beginning of the game. You can orchestrate it later, add choir whatever, all I hear some horrible wind writing....bleeeh.

holy shit this just Bad!

I can't even keep up with all the times the music has changed and gone all over!!! And I can't even remember single motif oh wait. it's gone.

Now there is battle with some new instruments and no theme! Imagine that!

ok there is little bit of motif that stands out then it puts a women's voice on top it's not very strong doesn't Become epic and it's sort of Flat Too!!!

It's basically horrible Music directing.

alright I am out.

I've read on the interwebs that Wizards are currently able to learn any spell, from any class, if they can find a scroll of it. There seems to be speculation on whether it is an oversight or if it is Larian homebrew. Has anyone playing the beta noticed this? While it's definitely cheese, I'm not going to lie that the idea is exciting. D&D keeps further gimping mages with every edition, so this would almost be recompense. Anyone playing beta to confirm?

There's nothing to "notice". It was there since day one of the alpha and it's a widely known fact.
It's generally assumed to be a bug/oversight rather than an intended feature, but Larian never spoke about it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You could get a 90% on steam for including a single titty. It's no surprise that having a couple cultists around can get you at least to an 88. The whole reason corporations go full soulless is to appeal to the ignorant masses. Why would you expect them to have taste? Even more, why would you put any value in their taste?
What are you talking about? Steam review scores are an excellent means to assess the overall quality of a game (tagging warpig because he is the expert here):

G9c3Tcf.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
the catgirls in Nekopara is more appealing than BG3 characters, they don't deserve being clumped with BG3 characters sorry

Yeah2 what NJclaw said, reviews in steam doesn't make a good game ha ha ha

user

Savant
What happened in Nekopara 0 though? Why the decline in rating? Were its mechanics dumbed down? Did it promise more than it could deliver? Was it released prematurely? We should investigate.

Tyrr

Liturgist
It's easy: Who buys this RPG in early access?
Mostly Larian fans.

When I asked around why anyone would buy a (allegedly) story heavy RPG in early access, the only answer I ever got was: it worked great with D:OS 1&2.
Most of these people never played BG 1&2, but they got exactly what they wanted: D:OS 3 - Forgotten Realms edition

Bara

Arcane
Has Larian implemented reactions yet curious how their going to do it as last I heard it's going to be set up as automatic triggers rather than selecting when they go which I do not like at all.

Solasta has a higher rating anyways. Imagine being happy that a company with 400+ employees and over a decade of experience was beat by a team of a couple dozen who can't even draw a proper GUI. Or who can't afford to put more than 5 classes into their game.

I agree solasta is better but I mean common Solasta is a less known game plus most folks who are finding it and buying it are likely seeking a alternative to BG3. So of that niche group of people will of course rate that game more positively cause we got to support "our guys."

Gargaune

Magister
What i hear though is the composer not having a very good grasp on how to change keys, create new phrases to bring about new subject matter(Harmonic progression) All sort of mismash of ideas.

[...]
Dude, tidy that up a little bit, it's hard to follow. Because otherwise it's interesting to read a musician's perspective on why BG3's score comes across so stale, all most of us laymen can do is waffle on whether or not we like the final product.

Has Larian implemented reactions yet curious how their going to do it as last I heard it's going to be set up as automatic triggers rather than selecting when they go which I do not like at all.
Attack of Opportunity is in, and yes, you set it as a character's Reaction in advance and they do it automatically whenever they have the chance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

[...]
Dude, tidy that up a little bit, it's hard to follow. Because otherwise it's interesting to read a musician's perspective on why BG3's score comes across so stale, all most of us laymen can do is waffle on whether or not we like the final product.
He's actually quite clear when you know what the hell he's talking about, but there's a reason I never go into technical aspects of music on here (unless it's super egregious like those off-key/out of tune moments in PoE2). The theory is arcane and obscure, and explaining anything is like pulling teeth.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
When composing music for something, Media, your composing a Suite. That Suite should be able to be played in full at the end of the Media.

Each part of the that Suite is a different part of the Media, be it action cue, main theme, character themes, mystery theme etc.

The opening Film with the music works though I don't like the ending Cadence sounds like DOs2 and I don't hear that again in BGM.

I am still checking out this Alpha and I have yet to hear one memorable theme or Motif that sticks out.

It's a mess. Not for me.

Also every area in this game is follow the path, there is nothing open. Why is every task spell, skill some big FX? It's really silly.

The only thing I like about this game is the Character interactions and that Dice roll.

I have composing to do .

Later.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded

[...]
He's actually quite clear when you know what the hell he's talking about, but there's a reason I never go into technical aspects of music on here (unless it's super egregious like those off-key/out of tune moments in PoE2). The theory is arcane and obscure, and explaining anything is like pulling teeth.

right you are.

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's easy: Who buys this RPG in early access?
Mostly Larian fans.

When I asked around why anyone would buy a (allegedly) story heavy RPG in early access, the only answer I ever got was: it worked great with D:OS 1&2.
Most of these people never played BG 1&2, but they got exactly what they wanted: D:OS 3 - Forgotten Realms edition

Allow me to add to your pantheon of answers! I bought it because I'm a fan of the series and wanted to have a look at it. Played 10h or so and put it down well before finishing the beta while they finish it off. I saw enough to think they could have an entertaining game on their hands when it's finished off.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom