Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

guess I'll answer my own question
probably made for the same people who jerk off to big numbers
level 11, stats already in the thousands on items
75nf3jupbui61.png
3,400 defense on an ilvl 11 item lol

Stat number bloat is the worst. Hopefully the neckbeards obsessively following the development call that shit out.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not sure this has been posted yet but here is some more gameplay.

Watching those wooden structures collapse time and again I got an idea on how add new elements to the core gameplay. Steal verticality and maybe environmental manipulation from D:OS, and adapt it sensibly for the ARPG formula. Then make those neat obstacles more sturdy, so you can use them as chokepoints, or destroy them. Then add a real jump functionality in order to make use of verticality. This would turn these corridors into battlefields that reward tactics, which is what this genre needs imo.

Anyway, graphics look nice. Can't say much about the rest.

D3 had occasional verticality like in the church and the cold fortress, but I don't recall it being a facet of any ARPG. I think the isometric viewpoint makes it difficult to go far beyond a level or two at most. You might have to build the engine around it so that when you fly up a level it sorta dissolves what's beneath. The few times it appears in D3 it's mostly a horizontal plane with the verticality a bit of a trick of the eye. It does make for satisfying moments though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
75nf3jupbui61.png

Stat number bloat is the worst. Hopefully the neckbeards obsessively following the development call that shit out.

From the same idiots who had to revamp the entire stat system for WoW because the only power progression they could come up with was MOAR NUMBERS.

e: "Control duration bonus", a stat nobody in the history of the series ever gave a single fuck about.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
diablo-1-rogue-class-image.jpg

The nipples in D1 were so tough, they practically pierced leather hide armor. Hard to gauge the succubi and related below since they ran around nigh nude. (Thigh high boots and g-string.)
D1-mon-succubi.jpg

Succubus_(Diablo_I).gif
latest

56431.png
Funny, WOTC in the diablo supplements covered up the best bits...
latest

Of Course D2 really wanted to add some Andariel kinkage to everything.
Andariel-D2.gif
Andariel.gif

andariel2_6321.jpg

Maybe those tassel chains were just begging for some one to do their olympic ring routine on them.

I didn't bother to post LOD harpy bitches. Dunno about D3. That saiyan hairstyle???

edit... fine..
LOD
succubi1-opt.gif

D3 pet???
aaron-gaines-p2-pets-02.jpg

D3??
Hwg2KP0.jpg

H7e5Jev.jpg

9QjHcEE.jpg

Lol.. the LOD ones I couldn't find any art other than this fan art.
latest

followed by this bit o text
...Succubi are beautiful and seductive demons, and so tempt mortals into evil and to death.

Eh.. don't go by that pic.

Last edited:
If there's a single lesson to be learned from Diablo 3 pre-release it's being cognizant of the fact EVERYTHING is subject change. I still remember when actual skill trees were supposed to be in the game, for example. Means I might as well not really pay any attention to when they're saying and showing off mechanically about Diablo 4.

Generally, and this has been a rule since what... Diablo II was announced... you should simply ignore any and all pre-release material by Blizzard, since it can have nothing to do with the actual product? Remember the original Diablo II trailer? Or the many systems that WoW: Cataclysm was supposed to introduce? Remember how StarCraft II was supposed to have a non-linear campaign with different endings, and the various NPCs serving as angels/devils on your shoulder?

Remember the original version of Warcraft 3? That was going to be a cross between a RTS and a RPG, it was one giant open world where you kept all your progression, and the graphics looked better than the version they ended up releasing.

What exactly is role-playing strategy? Imagine a real-time strategy game in which you control a handful of forces. However, instead of having your units conduct mission after mission on different maps, they are dropped into the vast 3D world of Azeroth, full of forests, rivers, and towns populated by nonplayer characters. You slowly explore this world, encountering NPCs, wandering monsters, neutral towns, temples, and raging blizzards. Along the way, NPCs may give you information and advice, or perhaps quests and adventures. For strategy fans beginning to worry that Warcraft III suddenly sounds like Baldur's Gate--don't; the one thing that Pardo wants to make clear is that Warcraft III "is still a strategy game."

"We really wanted to create a new genre of strategy game," Pardo said. "We've felt that the RTS genre has been taken as far as it can go right now." By adding role-playing elements into the mix, Blizzard feels it has come up with a more innovative game--one that focuses on smaller numbers of more powerful units, as opposed to massive numbers of expendable ones.

b.gif

b.gif

b.gif

Blow it up!

In traditional RTS games, Pardo explained, the winner usually isn't the player who is the best tactician; rather, it is the player who is the best resource manager and who can build a gigantic army to overwhelm the others. There will be some form of resource management in Warcraft III, but the game's emphasis will be shifted toward exploration and smaller-scale combat. Although play balancing will ultimately decide the number of units you'll command, Pardo estimates that a veteran hero will be able to command upwards of 12 units.

From outward appearances, you can tell that Warcraft III is inspired by Bungie's Myth, as the terrain and units are rendered in 3D and viewed from an angled, isometric point of view. In other ways, Warcraft III is reminiscent of Heroes of Might and Magic III. In both games, you command a hero in charge of a group of units. Depending on your task, you then structure the units to best accomplish the mission. For example, if you need to chase down a character, you may want to select a lot of fast-moving wolf riders. "Warcraft III is much more about making decisions on who's in your party," Pardo said.

As for a base of operations, you'll start the game with a small keep whose function is similar to that in Dynamix's Starsiege: Tribes. In Tribes, your fortress was where you started off and selected your armor and armament. The Warcraft III keep is where you'll be able to swap units in and out of your formation. To recruit units, you may want to travel to a small town and see if there are any volunteers willing to join the ranks.​

Link

Trithne

Erudite
75nf3jupbui61.png

The neckbeards you mention are the people who like the stat bloat. Make the numbers even bigger.

nimateb

Augur
Do any of these games have good gameplay? I liked D2 when I was a teen but I recently tried POE and it seems to play by itself.

Thal

Prophet
Not sure this has been posted yet but here is some more gameplay.

Watching those wooden structures collapse time and again I got an idea on how add new elements to the core gameplay. Steal verticality and maybe environmental manipulation from D:OS, and adapt it sensibly for the ARPG formula. Then make those neat obstacles more sturdy, so you can use them as chokepoints, or destroy them. Then add a real jump functionality in order to make use of verticality. This would turn these corridors into battlefields that reward tactics, which is what this genre needs imo.

Anyway, graphics look nice. Can't say much about the rest.

D3 had occasional verticality like in the church and the cold fortress, but I don't recall it being a facet of any ARPG. I think the isometric viewpoint makes it difficult to go far beyond a level or two at most. You might have to build the engine around it so that when you fly up a level it sorta dissolves what's beneath. The few times it appears in D3 it's mostly a horizontal plane with the verticality a bit of a trick of the eye. It does make for satisfying moments though.

What I had in mind was more small-scale that wouldn't require a change of perspective. For example, that rock formation in the thumbnail could be used to give player some bonuses, without posing a problem for the perspective. But I think you could tweak it in many ways, in whatever way that would allow the player use the environment as a gameplay object instead of eye candy, which is what it is now.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Tbh Diablo would've benefited from ditching the iso perspective and going completely thirdperson, like Nioh for example. Iirc originally D4 was supposed to be a third person hack-n-slash inspired by Dark Souls, but then it was cancelled (as usual with blizzard) and restarted as a usual blizzard rehash.

Robber Baron

Savant
Tbh Diablo would've benefited from ditching the iso perspective and going completely thirdperson, like Nioh for example. Iirc originally D4 was supposed to be a third person hack-n-slash inspired by Dark Souls, but then it was cancelled (as usual with blizzard) and restarted as a usual blizzard rehash.

What about first person? A game like Vermintide combined with Diablo formula in talented hands might be pretty good. I'm mentioning Vermintide because it has the same snappy hack&slash gameplay as Diablo albeit from a different perspective.

Codex Year of the Donut

What about first person? A game like Vermintide combined with Diablo formula in talented hands might be pretty good. I'm mentioning Vermintide because it has the same snappy hack&slash gameplay as Diablo albeit from a different perspective.
How would that change Vermintide at all?

Robber Baron

Savant
How would that change Vermintide at all?

Well Vermintide is a session based coop game and has very limited narrative(characters are great ofcourse). Imagine if it was more of a single player experience with a skill system like Diablo 2, a coherent story, none wave based game area progression and had more varied enviroments and enemies (like Diablo 2) - that'd be a different game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Still reading about the reasons or REASON why no offline since D3. That really was pretty retarded.
Diablo 3 cannot be played offline
By Tom Francis August 01, 2011

At an event in Irvine on Tuesday, Blizzard told us that Diablo 3 will be online only. Without an internet connection, you can't play the game at all.

Senior producer Alex Mayberry says there were many reasons for the decision, including the prevention of cheating. Since players can buy and sell items for real money , any way of cheating to make or acquire better ones would be very lucrative - and unfair.

"It's the trend that we've been moving towards," Alex says. "Obviously StarCraft 2 did it, WoW authenticates also. It's kind of the way things are, these days. The world of gaming is not the same as it was when Diablo 2 came out."

I check with him to be absolutely sure: there's no way to play without being online? "There's no offline play, you have to be connected to the internet."

The anti-cheat reason makes sense, but why not permit an offline mode and keep it separate from the online game?

"We thought about this quite a bit," says executive producer Rob Pardo. "One of the things that we felt was really import was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you'd start a character, you'd get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you'd have to start a character from scratch, because there'd be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online."

"Now, that doesn't mean you can't play a game by yourself - of course you can. You can go into and start any game that you want, you'll just be connected to the Battle.net servers, and we can authenticate your character."

If you're finding this reasoning weak, you're not alone. The more believable reason to deny players any kind of offline mode would be to prevent piracy. I asked Alex if that was the reason.

"One of them, yes."

And that's probably a similar reason here. Tbh.... I hope it and 3 get fully hacked and pirated. It has happened with other franchises so fuck Blizzard. I've played to many mmo games to be dropped from gameplay due to "server maintenance" or "updates" or some bullshit to know forced online for single player or lan party is just shit.

"one of them?" What's the others? Fucking marketing or so your Chinky bros can hack into my bank account/computer?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Meanwhile console gaming peasants can enjoy fully offline version of Diablo 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom