Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I just discovered that, at least since the Enhanced Edition Plus patch was released, Owlcat Games added a ton of different NPC conversations within the capital. So far, playing as a Neutral character with a Neutral barony, I've encountered three different sets of conversations which are brand new.

There was a lot of that even before EE.

Desiderius

Patron
Okay, Occultist. One down, five to go. Or Relic Hunter or an archetype if you prefer. Other suggestions welcome.

Testownia

Okay, Occultist. One down, five to go. Or Relic Hunter or an archetype if you prefer. Other suggestions welcome.

A pure Occultist, or a Reliquary archetype? The latter seems to be simply superior to the base version, since you could end up with an animal companion.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lion's Claw best weapon with no home among companions definitely. Don't know about Finessing it though. Is that even a thing for non-Fighters? Slashing Grace? Big Feat tax for low level scenario.
Well, the opinion of my God InEffect was that for a low-level campaign it is OK to have a DEX SS instead of a STR one, because Transformation is too far away (may be even unavailable), and so it is better to pay the feat tax for attack and damage.

Desiderius

Patron
Just play STR-based lol. Same thing with Monk companion, though I'm thinking Monk6/Thug3 is probably pretty good. Annoying to lose ColdIron Fists tho.

A pure Occultist, or a Reliquary archetype? The latter seems to be simply superior to the base version, since you could end up with an animal companion.

I run at most one animal companion in depths because tight quarters.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Just play STR-based lol. Same thing with Monk companion, though I'm thinking Monk6/Thug3 is probably pretty good. Annoying to lose ColdIron Fists tho.
What do you mean by "just play"? I played InEffect's build, and it was fun and useful. I am going to play a wizard the next run through Kingmaker, so InEffect will not help me.

Desiderius

Patron
I mean if you play a STR-build you don't have to burn all your Feats getting DEX to AB and Damage for no reason and can choose fun and useful Feats instead.

I know you call yourself stupid but you're not and the playing dumb act is wearing thin.

Desiderius

Patron
Alright Occultist and Empiricist (Investigator archetype).

What else?

amurath

Educated
I would say that Dex builds are generally better at low levels because of the lack of Legendary Proportions, the best buff for Str-based meleers. However, you can get Legendary Proportions from a nice belt in Lostlarn keep, so I'd say that Str. builds win out overall in Varnhold's Lot. My favorite build for Varnhold is still 1 Monk/X vivi or 1 Fighter/X vivi, depending on whether you prefer to wear armor or not.

Desiderius

Patron
You’re one of the best soloers so you think in those terms. You’ve got enough support from a full group, especially with two summoners among the companions, not to need the splash and to get plenty big without the Belt.

With CotW Companion Monk just picked up Juggernaut Ki ability and is already going off.

Desiderius

Patron
I’ve got Battle Host Occultist, Empiricist Investigator, Arrowsong Minstrel now focusing on attacking, Sacred Huntmaster to turn on CotW Ranged Teamwork Feats via Hunters Tactics.

Any other requests.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought InEffect prefers Str?
He offers DEX SS with falcata as a main hero for the DLC. I played through the game with this build on Hard, and it was quite fun, at least for me.

Starting goblins took some reloads, though - and it was difficult for me to decide when to use SS buffs, so several times I rested with all of them unused.

Lion's Claw best weapon with no home among companions definitely. Don't know about Finessing it though. Is that even a thing for non-Fighters? Slashing Grace? Big Feat tax for low level scenario.

For a Sword Saint its 2 feats: W.Finesse + S.Grace. Generally I prefer to spend my feats on other things, but its not the worst feat tax if you want to go that way (which admittedly does make more sense in a low level setting).

amurath

Educated
By the way, if anyone is curious about how to easily beat the goblins in the first area of Varnhold's Lot on Unfair (actually one of the hardest fights in the whole DLC, especially if you're "soloing" with Varn and Cephal) - the scroll merchant in Varnhold sells scrolls of Circle of Death (and Undeath to Death). I often buy a few of them along with Mirror Image scrolls for hard fights, but they're especially useful against goblins which have low HD and poor Fort saves. It's not like you need money in the DLC, so might as well spend it.

Desiderius

Patron
I thought InEffect prefers Str?
He offers DEX SS with falcata as a main hero for the DLC. I played through the game with this build on Hard, and it was quite fun, at least for me.

Starting goblins took some reloads, though - and it was difficult for me to decide when to use SS buffs, so several times I rested with all of them unused.

For a Sword Saint its 2 feats: W.Finesse + S.Grace. Generally I prefer to spend my feats on other things, but its not the worst feat tax if you want to go that way (which admittedly does make more sense in a low level setting).

One of the companions gets to choose a grand total of two feats in the whole scenario, and one of those is very late. For a Sword Saint you don’t get that many more. Two is a huge number.

As someone who likes to play DEX-based Aldori Swordlord I’m very familiar with how steep that particular Feat tax is, especially in CotW where you’ve got so many more new Feats you want to get to.

Desiderius

Patron
You can buy a wand of 50 Controlled Fireballs if you want, and there’s a nice maximize Rod as well, so it’s not like there isn’t anything at all to buy. I like to grab the Haste wand and the Shock Short Bow along with a Chocolate supply for the whole game. The 50 Heroism wand is good if you don’t have a Bard.

With CotW the difficulty level is pretty good on Challenging until you reach the Tomb. Maybe kick it up to Hard for the Centaurs but Unfair would be a bear with the improved AI.

Desiderius

Patron
Looking like Occultist is Arcane Warpriest lol, with a few hopefully more interesting twists.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Well, may be InEffect main hero is good only for InEffect full party which I used. I only changed his bard to an elven grenadier.

Again: I had very good experience on Hard.

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah, I’m using the companions with CotW which is harder, although you can get Bruiser with UMD to the point where he can be a real untouchable tank which takes the heat off the SS MC.

The principle stands that you’re trading a couple very scarce feats for not much benefit. InEffect gets tunnel vision where he designs every character as a stand alone rather than taking in the likely tactical situation.

If you were playing a Rogue that would be a different story.

Testownia

Right now I stopped my 100% playthrough of the campaign, since I noticed the retards at Owlcat introduced a bug where the gender of the character is randomly switched in dialogues.

Testownia

Right now I stopped my 100% playthrough of the campaign, since I noticed the retards at Owlcat introduced a bug where the gender of the character is randomly switched in dialogues.

Working as intended, bigot!

Nah, the bug appeared in the "Enhanced Edition Plus" version of the game. Don't know why they haven't fixed it, despite rolling out several patches.

Desiderius

Patron
I’ll post some more shots from Varnhold Campaign tonight. Now at the Tomb.

Setup for Depths looks like:

1) Occultist with Divination, Necromancy, and Evocation Implement setting up for Mage’s Panoply at lvl 6.

Usually play the base class once before trying archetypes. STR-based melee with some nasty spells. Perception thru Divination and Necro Familiar, UMD, Arcana/World

2) Investigator STR melee Shifter via Alchemical Spells (shouldn’t need Natural Spell since they’re not technically Spells). Trickery/Perception.

3) Elven Swashbuckler (Martial Proficiency)/Scoundrel with ECB (now eligible for Finesse Training). Vendor rolled Bsne of the Living so why not? Backup Trickery, Arcane/World, Perception

4) Oracle Divine Herbalist Nature Mystery Plagued Curse, Necro Focus, Nature Lore (CHR-based), Persuasion, UMD

5) Arrowsong Bard focused on buffing and attacking, not casting. Persuasion/Intimidation.

6) Hunter to get Coordinated Shot, Enfilading Shot, and Friendly Fire Maneuvers on pet via Hunter’s Tactics to turn them on for Archers. Religion Lore, Perception.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Nah, the bug appeared in the "Enhanced Edition Plus" version of the game. Don't know why they haven't fixed it, despite rolling out several patches.
Not the only bug they added. https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/5/2972902451415804796/

FFS, Owlcat, some of the classes literally start the game with a rapier. One of the first things people are introduced to is a bug.

Testownia

Not the only bug they added. https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/5/2972902451415804796/

FFS, Owlcat, some of the classes literally start the game with a rapier. One of the first things people are introduced to is a bug.

Also, good luck if you're saving the game on that plateau with the two Owlbears, in the bridge location - it'll corrupt your save file. Confirmed that several times. Also, shapeshifting removes any spell-like abilities derived from items from your taskbar, and you need to manually re-insert them... every single time. Also, some of the cloak textures randomly disappear. And so on.

Honest question to people who play the game non-stop - did the "Enhanced Plus" version add more bugs than they removed?

Yosharian

Arcane
Can't say I've noticed many bugs, I have seen that gender swap thing though.

Mostly what annoys me is abilities or items that still don't work correctly, or at all. I was looking at the Artifice domain but apparently the main ability doesn't even do anything :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom