Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh plenty of U4 mods on the regular nwn.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I've encountered a strange issue, the game wont let me level up to level 9 in RDD. I assume this has to do with the wings you get at that level but i have no idea how to fix it. I've tried leveling up to level 9 in multiple modules and it doesnt work in any of them. I dont have have anything in my override folder and i have not been messing with anything except adding mods to the mod folder and hak-packs to the hak folder.

Any ideas? I'm playing on the "Enhanced" edition.

Sabotin

Scholar
It's more likely something with the +2 INT gain and skill point calculation. Although turning off enforcement of legal characters didn't help, I was able to levelup to 9 by leaving 1 (or more) skillpoints unspent during the process. After that it didn't cause issues anymore. Wonder if Great Int feats break something too.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I had tried leaving skillpoints but not leaving just one... Leaving one worked.

Wened

Educated
Hi. I do not want to start new thread so ill just ask here.

I want to play NWN2 OC and all expansions, im guessing there are some unoficial patches and mods that fix/improve this game. Can someone post a list of that? Preferably stuff that is safe and compatybile with each otcher?

Gargaune

Magister

I want to play NWN2 OC and all expansions, im guessing there are some unoficial patches and mods that fix/improve this game. Can someone post a list of that? Preferably stuff that is safe and compatybile with each otcher?
There's not much I recommend for it, more configuration than mods. Quoting myself from another thread:
how do you play this shit?
A little more easily than you play Baldur's Gate 3.

Specifics? Sure:
- Exploration Mode is your bread and butter camera, and Strategy Mode is what you go for in those few instances where combat gets gnarly. Strategy Mode would be a better IE simulacrum, but its range from the party is rather short for comfort. Character Mode? Never heard of it, must be a communist ploy.
- Enable options to Turn/Scroll Camera on edges everywhere applicable.
- Enable Take Control of Companion with Left Click, but remember it's bugged. It works properly if you click on an unselected character while you only have one other character selected, but if you have multiples selected, it will issue a Go-To order. So, really, get used to selecting individual characters via the function keys or portraits.
- Pick Marquee Selection in both Exploration and Strategy Mode for click-and-hold, obviously.
- Now, in game, whenever you get a new companion, immediately issue a Stand Ground command and then go into their character panel and enable Puppet Mode. You'll have to do this whenever you get a new party member, but the ones you've already configured will stay that way even if you swap them out. Once you've done that, it's mostly familiar IE territory, minus the formations.
- Arm yourself with patience. NWN2's OC is a great way to do penance for your sins, if you absolutely must, and MotB if your just reward for it. Or, you know, just read a plot synopsis, skip to the reward part and simply go "la-la-la can't hear you" the few times the OC is referenced.

Now that we've covered the basics, a couple of mod suggestions - Tcho's UI for a proper interface on modern screens and Xaltar's heads for proper... heads. The rest of the visuals are okay, given their age. There's also the matter of the NWN2 Client Extender, which is usually recommended to resolve a clock bug that results in jittery animations the longer your PC goes between power cycles; I actually don't recommend it, because I've noticed another odd behaviour that leads to massive performance degradation in areas with many NPCs pathfinding, I'd rather just reboot the PC every few days when I'm playing.

That's it. Now man the fuck up and go enjoy one of the finest CRPG campaigns, right after you suffer through one of the worst.

Gargaune

Magister

There's not much I recommend for it, more configuration than mods. Quoting myself from another thread:
how do you play this shit?
A little more easily than you play Baldur's Gate 3.

Specifics? Sure:
- Exploration Mode is your bread and butter camera, and Strategy Mode is what you go for in those few instances where combat gets gnarly. Strategy Mode would be a better IE simulacrum, but its range from the party is rather short for comfort. Character Mode? Never heard of it, must be a communist ploy.
- Enable options to Turn/Scroll Camera on edges everywhere applicable.
- Enable Take Control of Companion with Left Click, but remember it's bugged. It works properly if you click on an unselected character while you only have one other character selected, but if you have multiples selected, it will issue a Go-To order. So, really, get used to selecting individual characters via the function keys or portraits.
- Pick Marquee Selection in both Exploration and Strategy Mode for click-and-hold, obviously.
- Now, in game, whenever you get a new companion, immediately issue a Stand Ground command and then go into their character panel and enable Puppet Mode. You'll have to do this whenever you get a new party member, but the ones you've already configured will stay that way even if you swap them out. Once you've done that, it's mostly familiar IE territory, minus the formations.
- Arm yourself with patience. NWN2's OC is a great way to do penance for your sins, if you absolutely must, and MotB if your just reward for it. Or, you know, just read a plot synopsis, skip to the reward part and simply go "la-la-la can't hear you" the few times the OC is referenced.

Now that we've covered the basics, a couple of mod suggestions - Tcho's UI for a proper interface on modern screens and Xaltar's heads for proper... heads. The rest of the visuals are okay, given their age. There's also the matter of the NWN2 Client Extender, which is usually recommended to resolve a clock bug that results in jittery animations the longer your PC goes between power cycles; I actually don't recommend it, because I've noticed another odd behaviour that leads to massive performance degradation in areas with many NPCs pathfinding, I'd rather just reboot the PC every few days when I'm playing.

That's it. Now man the fuck up and go enjoy one of the finest CRPG campaigns, right after you suffer through one of the worst.
Oh, I forgot one:
- In Keymappings -> Misc, set Toggle Group Selection to a comfortable input, like a mouse thumb button. This will allow you to easily swap between controlling just your leader or your entire party, and it'll really come in handy with your characters being in Puppet Mode.

DaveO

Erudite
I went into the Dwarven Dungeon for the NWN Phantasie module. I lost the thief recruit I had and a summoned creature did not last very long against the orcs. I did go up a level and got a minor profit. The module is somewhat faithful to PC Phantasie since there were a lot of orcs in the Dwarven Dungeon. There were some unique encounters that never were in the SSI game.

Any decent EE exclusive modules? Played the fuck out of diamond mods.
Tried a couple and felt them being 2003 amateurish.

Any decent EE exclusive modules? Played the fuck out of diamond mods.
Tried a couple and felt them being 2003 amateurish.
If you're asking about free, user-made modules, dunno. Paid-for, the EE has Tyrants of the Moonsea.

Isn't Tyrants also a mod for NWN Diamond? If so already played that version, not feeling like dropping more money unless it's a big improvement.

Edit: Yes, there is another version. Got as far as the arena, where the fight against the magic golem got bugged and I got stuck in dialogue.

Shit, I guess I will end up playing everyone's favorite female rape fanfic mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargaune

Magister
Isn't Tyrants also a mod for NWN Diamond? If so already played that version, not feeling like dropping more money unless it's a big improvement.

Edit: Yes, there is another version. Got as far as the arena, where the fight against the magic golem got bugged and I got stuck in dialogue.
Unless I'm mistaken, the Diamond build of TotM was never finished and it ended halfway through in Hillsfar or Elventree. The Vault entry lists it as 6-10 hours long, whereas the EE module is a complete 20+ hours campaign. As an added bonus, the EE build's also got good production values for an official expansion, with portraits, voiceovers, some cool tilesets and a full musical score.

Tagging Luke Scull, if you're still checking in.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer

Unless I'm mistaken, the Diamond build of TotM was never finished and it ended halfway through in Hillsfar or Elventree. The Vault entry lists it as 6-10 hours long, whereas the EE module is a complete 20+ hours campaign. As an added bonus, the EE build's also got good production values for an official expansion, with portraits, voiceovers, some cool tilesets and a full musical score.

Tagging Luke Scull, if you're still checking in.

Indeed, the EE release is the compete 20+ hour campaign. The free, 1.69 version ends after 10 or so hours and lacks a bunch of refinements and production values (new sountrack, VO, etc) that we added in the 2019 EE release. The arena bug in the 1.69 is something I wasn't ever able to fix, and though I intend to update AL1 and AL2 with EE versions, it seems a poor use of time to exhume the aborted corpse of AL3 and mess with that when there's already a completed, fixed version already available

If anyone is still interested in NWN1, I'd definitely recommend picking up the Enhanced Edition from Beamdog. After a shaky and decidedly enhancement-free initial release, it's now in a pretty good place.

Gargaune

Magister
I intend to update AL1 and AL2 with EE versions
Speaking of, I think you mentioned a while back that you were considering resuming work on AL4 - is that still a possibility, or are you happy with TotM wrapping up the series?

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Speaking of, I think you mentioned a while back that you were considering resuming work on AL4 - is that still a possibility, or are you happy with TotM wrapping up the series?

I've finalising the design for another NWN project, but it won't necessarily be AL4. It's of bigger scope than that. There should be an announcement next month.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I've finalising the design for another NWN project, but it won't necessarily be AL4. It's of bigger scope than that. There should be an announcement next month.

Exciting news! I really enjoyed TotM so I'll definitely keep my eyes on this project as well!

Will Ossian be involved this time as well?

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer

Exciting news! I really enjoyed TotM so I'll definitely keep my eyes on this project as well!

Will Ossian be involved this time as well?

It's unlikely in an official capacity. Ossian has a couple other irons in the fire (both of which I'm involved with) and this is something of a passion project. Who knows though - things can change.

Gargaune

Magister
It's unlikely in an official capacity. Ossian has a couple other irons in the fire (both of which I'm involved with) and this is something of a passion project. Who knows though - things can change.
I'm guessing you can't talk about that, but if those irons are for NWN, it would be great news. Graphical updates are welcome and I maintain some form of party controls would be the killer feature, but it's new campaigns that the EE needs most. So far the main EE selling point for general consumers is TotM, and I like to think the platform's got more mileage to be had still.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
I'm guessing you can't talk about that, but if those irons are for NWN, it would be great news. Graphical updates are welcome and I maintain some form of party controls would be the killer feature, but it's new campaigns that the EE needs most. So far the main EE selling point for general consumers is TotM, and I like to think the platform's got more mileage to be had still.

The two Ossian projects are not NWN-related. Sadly, I think the last non-Ossian DLC did not go down fantastically well and has perhaps made things more difficult as far as approvals go.

I doubt full party control will ever be a thing in NWN, though it would've been ace.

Gargaune

Magister
The two Ossian projects are not NWN-related. Sadly, I think the last non-Ossian DLC did not go down fantastically well and has perhaps made things more difficult as far as approvals go.
Ah, that's a shame. Well, do give us a shout when you're ready to reveal your own new NWN project, there's still takers around here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sadly, I think the last non-Ossian DLC did not go down fantastically well and has perhaps made things more difficult as far as approvals go.

:lol: That is an understatement. Wonder if we'll ever get the story of why Dark Dreams of Furiae was approved.

The Jester

Cipher
Beamdog should let Rob Bartel to complete his unfinished module "Witch’s Wake".
Of all the BioWare's premium modules, it had the most potential.
I also really liked the melancholic atmosphere that the writing style tried to portray it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom