Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Sabotin

Scholar
There's a shop with pretty much everything in the starting area of Ch3 so importing there should be just fine?

For assassins I think you can plan around items a bit. In Ch2 there's armor with HiPS (priced 100k+ though) and those nice posion bottles that add acid dmg to weapons (Asn/BG). Can't say about death attack, but enemy saves don't seem to be that amazing in general, so should still work?

I've been going through recently with a "stealthy" character and gotta say it wasn't that great until now (early ch3 atm). Granted it's a Str based Ranger with some Rogue (and SD dip at 20), so it could be that it's just not all-in stealth enough and is more of a late-bloomer. Having a bard again gonna help, too.
Gotta say though trapping and hiding are annoying with party and I'm still not sure why I'm seen when I am, which wasn't that rare (Lowish move silently? High enemy perception? EE being EE?). UMD wasn't even that useful until now, can barely use lv1 scrolls (the 8 Cha is a regret). Light armor and heavy dual-wield are noticeable dips in attack/AC. When stars align it's still a great murderhobo so there's that.

Maybe I'm just lazy or I coincidentally picked most high-maintenance build (traps/stealth/pets/spells). Gonna see again later with HiPS/DevCrit cheese, ehehehe.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Another question:

Will I as a Dex based rogue need to have power attack to overcome damage resistance in enemies that are immune to sneak attacks in later modules?

Sabotin

Scholar
Nah. If it's got DR you can't get through, +5 dmg won't make a difference, you'll just have to use something else. Besides DR is not often an issue, maybe some special cases only. In general care was taken to avoid blanket immunities on you as well as enemies, so you won't encounter things with sa immunity/freedom/death ward/true seeing/etc. left and right.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...Is there any reason to play assassin or is that only going to set back my BAB and feats compared to fighter? ...

Assassin tends to be a weak class in NWN as a general rule, since its main asset, Death Attack, is usually redundant against trash mobs, who die too quickly for it to matter, and useless against bosses, who tend to be immune. The other advantage of the class, having a few spells like Darkness or Improved Invisibility, can more often than not be simulated by a Rogue with UMD anyway. Thus, most of the time, it is just the equivalent of taking Rogue levels but with half the skill points and without the bonus feats. The main advantage of Assassin in Swordflight is that there is some rather good Assassin-specific equipment to be found, in particular some armor that provides HiPS as a bonus feat, potentially allowing you to dispense with the Shadowdancer level (though at the cost of probably getting HiPS a little later, and having fewer choices as to what armor to wear). Death Attack is probably marginally more useful in Swordflight than in most modules since in my series even some of the "trash mobs" can be rather tough, and I tend not to go as far as some builders in making bosses immune to everything. Taking a few Fighter levels instead is probably more optimal, but I expect you could make Assassin work if you really want to play that.

Edit: Another thought: Is it really worth it to go for Kukris with a Dex based rogue? And if I do it when should I go for it? I'm thinking that getting hide in plain sight might be pretty important so that I should prioritize those feats first but if I have access darkness that might not matter?

Kukris are a trade-off, in that you get much better crit damage in exchange for having to expend a feat to get Exotic proficiency. They are one of the best weapons if you can spare the feat (and that is usually not that difficult if you throw in a few Fighter levels), but probably not a high priority for a dedicated Rogue. Such a character can expect to do heavy damage from Sneak Attacks, making extra crit damage less crucial (and crit immune enemies who cannot be Sneak-attacked would nullify the kukri's advantage anyway). HiPS is very powerful, so it makes sense to take it as soon as practical, though to some extent you can simulate the benefits of this feat with Darkness spells, Invisibility potions, etc. If DEX-based, you would probably want to take Weapon Finesse as soon as possible, at Lvl 3, which means you would have to take Dodge & Mobility for Shadowdancer at Lvl 1 & 6 (assuming you do not have the Human bonus feat, and do not throw in any Fighter levels, and do not get HiPS from Assassin gear instead), so, yes, you would have to choose between getting HiPS early or kukris early. Also the ideal pre-epic feat selection for Rogue/SD and/or Asn would probably be: Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Mobility, Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Blindfight, Toughness, which means if you throw in Exotic Proficiency as well you will be short one feat (again, unless you have the Human bonus feat or throw in a few Fighter or CoT levels). Improved Critical would be somewhat optional for a Sneak Attacker, but not taking it would make kukris rather pointless, since that weapon is all about the crits. It is also nice to dual-wield if a Sneak Attacker, but getting the feats for that would require some really hard choices without Fighter or Ranger levels.

HiPS probably offers more, but either option could be made to work.

I've been going through recently with a "stealthy" character and gotta say it wasn't that great until now (early ch3 atm). Granted it's a Str based Ranger with some Rogue (and SD dip at 20), so it could be that it's just not all-in stealth enough and is more of a late-bloomer...

A fair number of mobs in Swordflight do have pretty good Spot/Listen skills, so using stealth can be tricky, particularly if you do not really max it out. Possibly that could use a bit of re-balancing.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I probably need to go back a bit to the drawing board again..

I started a halfling rogue and God damn was it tough without weapon finesse! +0 to attack really isn't great. caved and went fighter lvl 2 in order to get finesse and be able to hit anything... I had to buy traps to deal with the rats in the cellar :negative:

My previous playthroughs as a barbarian/wm and P/S/RDD felt like easy mode by comparison. I'm sure things will get better once I get of the ground though. It's already much better with a fighter level, I now have +5 to attack and a shield!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been trying to get back into NWN since they released the EE. The only reason I'd buy it is to get Tyrants of the Moonsea. So I just installed the premium version I've got, and loaded up 'A Hunt Through The Dark' and decided to roleplay a bit as Viconia. Making her a thief/assassin gives me an excuse to change her class to cleric/assassin in BG.

Probably the best mod made for a game anywhere was the Player Resource Consortium. The race part doesan't work with this particular mod - you can't do a PRC drow because the mod doesn't recognise it. So no problem, roll a normal elf as the game expects, then get access to the PRC mod classes.

Problem is this fucking game has not aged well. The assholes who designed this game are probably the ones responsible for the smiliar issue in DA:O. And that issue is: not having full control of your character. If I'm playing a stealthy character who decides to HIPS: I want my stealthy character to HIPS - I don't want them to have and aggressive AI script that kicks in and melee attacks an adjacent enemy, which then cancels my HIPS command. :argh:

I'll apologise to Beamdog if they fixed this issue in the EE, and I'll probably go and buy it now. But I'm willing to bet they haven't have they?. :argh:

Sabotin

Scholar
It's a bit dodgy regardless of version. Try clicking off the attack action and/or moving a bit away from the enemy before hiding.

Last time I played Ahttd I had stuff breaking on a few points, though I don't remember which version I played with. The module is pretty old.

PRC was great and I loved to experiment with it but it's so bloated and random that it's more about figuring out what NOT to use :D .

Gargaune

Magister
I've been trying to get back into NWN since they released the EE. The only reason I'd buy it is to get Tyrants of the Moonsea.
Tyrants of the Moonsea's definitely worth it, but you might consider starting with the free previous installments, Siege of Shadowdale and Crimson Tides of Tethyr, they're all part of the same series. I haven't done Siege, but I played Tides after Tyrants and it was a very solid module. You don't have to do it that way, TotM works perfectly fine standalone and even lets you alternatively "claim" Darkness over Daggerford as a prequel for your character, but you might enjoy the continuity aspect.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
It's a bit dodgy regardless of version. Try clicking off the attack action and/or moving a bit away from the enemy before hiding.

Last time I played Ahttd I had stuff breaking on a few points, though I don't remember which version I played with. The module is pretty old.

PRC was great and I loved to experiment with it but it's so bloated and random that it's more about figuring out what NOT to use :D .

Yeah that mod has to be seen to be believed. If Beamdog had done something about the garbage graphics, and fixed the quirks of the engine, NWN would be something to see with this mod. There's so much in it that it might as well be another game while installed.

I've been trying to get back into NWN since they released the EE. The only reason I'd buy it is to get Tyrants of the Moonsea.
Tyrants of the Moonsea's definitely worth it, but you might consider starting with the free previous installments, Siege of Shadowdale and Crimson Tides of Tethyr, they're all part of the same series. I haven't done Siege, but I played Tides after Tyrants and it was a very solid module. You don't have to do it that way, TotM works perfectly fine standalone and even lets you alternatively "claim" Darkness over Daggerford as a prequel for your character, but you might enjoy the continuity aspect.

The mod author is probably one of (if not the) best mod creators out there. I have played the others and as you say; they're highly recommended. I probably will get the last one as the author and Ossain didn't deserve to be treated as they were. Shame to be putting money in Beamdog's pocket though.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah that mod has to be seen to be believed.
Colour me intrigued, I'm thinking I'd like to try it on NWN2, that game's got far fewer quality campaigns available than NWN1 and apparently its AHttD port made 2008 Module of the Year on the Vault.

Without getting into spoilers, does the campaign feature Rogue companions or do I need to handle my own locks and traps?

Gargaune

Magister
What's the story?
Way back, Ossian were developing Darkness over Daggerford as a Premium Module for Neverwinter Nights, but then Atari pulled the plug on the entire programme. DoD was nearly complete at that point, so Ossian ended up releasing it for free and even gave it a post-launch patch. Atari only reversed this decision in the case of Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, which got its official release despite being in a much rougher shape than DoD, but I suppose they wanted to roll all those new assets into the NWN base.

Once Beamdog relaunched NWN as an EE, they tapped Ossian again to give DoD that last bit of missing polish (another round of QA, portraits, VO etc.) and it finally saw the commercial release it deserved. After that, Beamdog, Ossian and Luke Scull collaborated to make Tyrants of the Moonsea, which was also excellent.

DoD's launch was what actually got me off the fence to buy NWN EE. I'd recently completed the cancelled PM version, funnily enough, but it was so well done and Ossian had been such good sports (putting it up it for free after they'd had the rug pulled out from under them) that I really felt like they'd earned the sale.

Robber Baron

Savant
Are there any modules that don't revolve around "I am an adventurer where's the nearest dungeon?". I never really cared for single player modules and decided to check out Swordflight and Aielund - and well the writing is pretty in your face. Aielund especially starts out with two random people agreeing to "adventure" with you as you leave your starting room.

Starwars

Arcane
It's been a very long time since I played it so I have no idea how it holds up, but I have fond memories of the mod called Almraiven. Wasn't anything amazing roleplayingwise but it felt pretty different and had a very nice atmosphere to it. Think it got a sequel too though I never played that.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I want start up Swordflight again, and I am intrigued about fighter/rogue/shadow dancer.

Has anyone tried it before?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Yeah that mod has to be seen to be believed.
Colour me intrigued, I'm thinking I'd like to try it on NWN2, that game's got far fewer quality campaigns available than NWN1 and apparently its AHttD port made 2008 Module of the Year on the Vault.

Without getting into spoilers, does the campaign feature Rogue companions or do I need to handle my own locks and traps?

Do you mean the PRC? It's here: http://nwnprc.com/manual/
You can see at a glance the amount of work that's been put in. Not just races, spells, and feats, but they managed crafting and other features that I wouldn't have thought possible. THe Samurai base class for example has you improving your katana and wakizashi with valuable items from the game. This works with any module converted to the PRC - so you can play the original campaign and 'sacrifice' diamonds and magical items to upgrade your weapons.

They also fixed and expanded other classes. THe assassin class for example had full spell progression, working HIPS, and PnP death attack implemented.

If Beamdog had done their job and made the graphics in this game tolerable, and then implemented this mod, it would have been at least as good as any of the latest RPGs on the market. If not better.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I want start up Swordflight again, and I am intrigued about fighter/rogue/shadow dancer.

One of my playtesting builds used those classes, so yes (but not sure if my playtesting actually counts). Generally Rogue/Warrior multiclasses are a solid choice for Swordflight.

Robber Baron

Savant
Finished Swordflight ch.1 yesterday with my barbarian while playing on easy the whole time. Turned up to normal on ch.2. Are old NWN modules the only way to experience classic fantasy adventure feels in current year?

DaveO

Erudite
I got further along into the Phantasie module I mentioned earlier. I'm along enough to have reached character level 3 and after some thorough searching, I found the Dwarven dungeon. I'll be heading into it on my next recorded session on my YouTube channel.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Do you mean the PRC? It's here: http://nwnprc.com/manual/
No, I meant I might try the NWN2 version of A Hunt Through The Dark, was just curious whether there are Rogue companion in the gampaign so I could pencil in a build. Though I assume there should be, at least one of the screenshots seems to have a party going.

I don't remember if there was a rogue, but the campaign wasn't as interesting in NWN2 as it was in 1. For me anyway. I think it was also much shorter.

The Jester

Cipher
What's the story?
Way back, Ossian were developing Darkness over Daggerford as a Premium Module for Neverwinter Nights, but then Atari pulled the plug on the entire programme. DoD was nearly complete at that point, so Ossian ended up releasing it for free and even gave it a post-launch patch. Atari only reversed this decision in the case of Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, which got its official release despite being in a much rougher shape than DoD, but I suppose they wanted to roll all those new assets into the NWN base.

Once Beamdog relaunched NWN as an EE, they tapped Ossian again to give DoD that last bit of missing polish (another round of QA, portraits, VO etc.) and it finally saw the commercial release it deserved. After that, Beamdog, Ossian and Luke Scull collaborated to make Tyrants of the Moonsea, which was also excellent.

DoD's launch was what actually got me off the fence to buy NWN EE. I'd recently completed the cancelled PM version, funnily enough, but it was so well done and Ossian had been such good sports (putting it up it for free after they'd had the rug pulled out from under them) that I really felt like they'd earned the sale.
I see.
I thought Beamdog was the bad guy as always, looks like not this time.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Yup and loved it

You can reach level ~33 by the end of the last module, I'd go 1 SD, 4 Fighter and rest in Rogue. Just remember that dual wielding Kukris efficiently as a Rogue demands a LOT of feats.

Exotic Proficiency
Weapon Finesse
Ambidexterity + TWF + ITWF
Weapon Focus, Specialization and IC

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom