Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I got further along into the Phantasie module I mentioned earlier. I'm along enough to have reached character level 3 and after some thorough searching, I found the Dwarven dungeon. I'll be heading into it on my next recorded session on my YouTube channel.

The original Phantasie game has a special place in my heart on account of it being the first CRPG I ever played, way back in 1985 I think. So someone made an NWN conversion? I would not have thought NWN especially suitable for such a purpose, since the original, like most games from that era, was very much a party-based game, unlike NWN. It might be interesting to compare the two, but my memories of the original are probably too vague after all these years.

rogueknight333
One night stand with Zarala when?
Sh-sh-she's a-at the age of consent, r-right guys?:shredder:

Do you really want me to spoil coming events? Though you should have figured out by now that you cannot count on Zarala to do anything you want her to.

As for her age, if you read the information on the gravestones on the Galhadr estate grounds in Ch. 2, you should be able to figure out what it is.

Gargaune

Magister
I don't remember if there was a rogue, but the campaign wasn't as interesting in NWN2 as it was in 1. For me anyway. I think it was also much shorter.
That's a shame... I've got other campaigns to play on NWN, but NWN2's in dire need of justifying its continued residence on my hard drive. I might still give it a go, but it looks like I'm having another stab at PFKM for now.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I want start up Swordflight again, and I am intrigued about fighter/rogue/shadow dancer.

Has anyone tried it before?

Yup and loved it

You can reach level ~33 by the end of the last module, I'd go 1 SD, 4 Fighter and rest in Rogue. Just remember that dual wielding Kukris efficiently as a Rogue demands a LOT of feats.

Exotic Proficiency
Weapon Finesse
Ambidexterity + TWF + ITWF
Weapon Focus, Specialization and IC
Thanks luj1. I appreciate it.

On a somewhat related note, I searched online for additional information and I came across a strength-focused variation that used greatsword/cleave/knockdown. Beyond Fighter/Rogue/SD, it never occurred to me that one could make a strength-based rogue in NWN1 (well, one that didn't outright suck). Does it trade damage (dexterity-kukris) for utility (strength-knockdowns, etc.)?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...On a somewhat related note, I searched online for additional information and I came across a strength-focused variation that used greatsword/cleave/knockdown. Beyond Fighter/Rogue/SD, it never occurred to me that one could make a strength-based rogue in NWN1 (well, one that didn't outright suck). Does it trade damage (dexterity-kukris) for utility (strength-knockdowns, etc.)?

It is a bit more complicated than that. One of the main disadvantages of a DEX-rogue is that many enemies are immune to Sneak Attack/Crits. SA can do massive damage under ideal circumstances, but is completely useless in others. Strength, by contrast, provides a much more reliable and consistent source of bonus damage. STR-Rogues can also more easily wear heavy armor, which will tend to give them better AC at low levels (though DEX-based chars will have better AC in the long run). Not requiring Weapon Finesse also saves a feat, and gives you more options as to viable melee weapons.

STR damage can also be added on top of SA damage, where applicable, so in terms of raw DPS, STR-based are clearly significantly better. The advantages of DEX-based Rogues are that they get better AC (in the long run), better Reflex Saves (particularly important in conjunction with Evasion), bonuses to lots of skills, eventual eligibility for feats like Epic Dodge and Self-Concealment, and superior aptitude with missile weapons. In short STR-based are better damage dealers, but DEX-based are tankier (somewhat counter-intuitively) and more versatile.

Incidentally, success at a Knockdown depends on the Attack Roll, not Strength per se, so STR vs. DEX is irrelevant to that (except that high strength boosts Discipline so might marginally increase your chances of defending against Knockdowns in some cases).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
it never occurred to me that one could make a strength-based rogue in NWN1

You absolutely can. Like rogueknight said, it's a more offensive variant with less AC and utility. I built a two handed Greataxe rogue once, it was fun with the 1.5x STR multiplier for the weapon. Also synergizes well with Improved Disarm as its controlled by weapon size

Personally I prefer Str based for low magic settings and Dex based for high magic settings.

Sabotin

Scholar
Just be a bit more careful with dex-for-defense characters so you don't get caught flat-footed. I haven't paid attention to this mechanic until some spiders shredded my character in 3 seconds after landing web.

DaveO

Erudite
Rogueknight333, the NWN module is like the original game where only one hireling is available. The initial part of the game is fighting rats, which almost made me drop the module right away. I decided to give it another chance. The Black Knights you will run into are appropriately spooky enough. The wilderness is random with enermy generation. I picked animal as my Rangers 1st racial enemy. The rats and wildlife has justified this intial pick. I'm not sure how high you can go for levels in the module. It mentions level 10 in the walkthrough that comes with the module, so this means at least one more racial enemy to choose. My Ranger leveled up with Cleric and Monk for the other classes. Cleric gives Mage Armor with the Magic Domain. I chose Strength as the other. I picked Monk on level 3 to get Evasion and Cleave.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Quick question about wizard/pale masters.

Is there any reason to level wizard behind lvl 17?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Quick question about wizard/pale masters.

Is there any reason to level wizard behind lvl 17?

I assume you meant beyond Lvl 17?

Yes, certain spells increase in power up to Lvl 20 (though with enough PM levels you would not lose out on any bonus spell slots). Wizards get a bonus magical feat every 5 levels, so you would also lose the Level 20 feat if you stop before that. You would also lose out on some Epic bonus feats, but as enough Palemaster levels could also qualify for epic bonus feats, that may be less important.

Also, your ability to penetrate spell resistance increases with every level, and a higher caster level would also make your buffs harder to dispel.

That is not to say that stopping at Lvl 17 is necessarily bad (depends on the details of the build), but there are definitely trade-offs. Usually a dedicated caster Palemaster build would be something like 24 Wiz/16 PM.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
rogueknight333

I had a bit of an issue when I finished chapter 1 and tried to transition to chapter 2, the game crashed due to some missing video/movie. I don't know what I've done wrong, I can't seem to find any movie in among the download files on the vault.. could this perhaps be an EE issue?

More importantly, is there any difference between using the in module transition or just starting a new game and using the exported character?

Sabotin

Scholar
The module ends after it exports your character, it doesn't automatically load up the next one. Starting a new game and using the exported character is the proper way.

The missing movie is an EE thing but it's just credits or something inconsequential.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
The standard "EndModule" function plays the standard NWN credits by default unless something else is specified, and I did not bother. So when the modules end, the credits play, or not in EE because EE messed up movies. It does not really matter either way. Once your character is exported at the end, he can go on to the next module without issue.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I have another question regarding Swordflight, specifically regarding the Haunted house quest in chapter 2.

I can only find 3 pieces of the puzzle. I have gone through the all the rooms multiple times, highlighting everything clickable and nothing shows up. I've even destroyed all the doors to make sure there isnt something hiding behind them. It says in the walkthrough that you should find a shard in all the rooms that isnt the forge and the portal room but i didnt find any shard in the room with the two side rooms or the room with the three smaller rooms.

Am i doing something wrong or missing something? Should i just cheat to get out of the house?

EDIT: Im specifically looking for the bottom right corner of the artifact.

Last edited:

Sabotin

Scholar
Must be an EE thing again cause I had the exact same problem. It's there laying on the ground in the toolset though, so who knows what's going on... I think I even played with EE once before (years back?) and didn't have this issue. It's supposed to be in an small area that looks like standard home upstairs in the "closet" near those bags/crates.

Anyways:

##DebugMode 1
##dm_spawnitem truthseal005
##DebugMode 0

and you can get on with it.

The Jester

Cipher
Though you should have figured out by now that you cannot count on Zarala to do anything you want her to.
Indeed, she was a decent bard in chapter 1, in chapter 2 she became worse and now in chapter 3 she is a complete retard who just cast improved invisibility and then wait for enemies to kill her without fighting back.

The Jester

Cipher
Also now instead of lock picking she just smash'em, I don't know if this is intentional and is bad influence from my barbarian or she just bugged.

Gargaune

Magister
Though you should have figured out by now that you cannot count on Zarala to do anything you want her to.
Indeed, she was a decent bard in chapter 1, in chapter 2 she became worse and now in chapter 3 she is a complete retard who just cast improved invisibility and then wait for enemies to kill her without fighting back.
Yeah, best you have her cast her invisibility spells on you and keep her spellcasting off until you've expended them. Think of yourself as a manager, Zarala as an employee and the invisibility spell as a cubicle. Basically, as soon as said employee descends from your sight into her cubicle, just how much work do you think she's doing?... Man, I love cubicles.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I will have to look into the bugged Haunted House quest. Not sure what is going on either, since it worked fine before, but sadly it is not uncommon for EE to keep introducing new bugs. That is why I recommend playing Swordflight in Diamond for those who find it practical to do so.

Also now instead of lock picking she just smash'em, I don't know if this is intentional and is bad influence from my barbarian or she just bugged.

Invisible henchmen are particularly prone to bugging out and doing nothing, but you should be able to use the bugle provided in one of the stores to force them to attack and break them out of these fits of passivity, if necessary. As Gargaune suggests, in later chapters Zarala is actually quite useful for providing buffs, if not much else.

Zarala never had any lock-picking skills, so not sure what you are talking about there? She had limited trap disarming skills, but in later chapters many of the traps will have DCs too high for her (or anyone not a dedicated Rogue).

The Jester

Cipher
Zarala never had any lock-picking skills.
hah, that's weird, I can remember she lock picking and disarming traps in the first 2 chapters? maybe I'm mistaken and that was another henchman? it's been a long time since I last played Chapters 1 and 2

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Zarala never had any lock-picking skills.
hah, that's weird, I can remember she lock picking and disarming traps in the first 2 chapters? maybe I'm mistaken and that was another henchman? it's been a long time since I last played Chapters 1 and 2
There is that Paladin rogue tiefling. I never saw her pick locks though. I've been bashing every chest and door the entire game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom