Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs that you regret finishing

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fallout 4 - the only Bethesda game I ever finished.

jackofshadows

Magister
Divinity: Original Sin. As far as I know, everyone who did finish it, agreed on one thing: the first location is the best and each successive one gets worse and worse. The final part is just a mindless slog. The fact that you have to collect every soulstone for that doesn't help. The fact that its gibberish lore becomes absolutely unbearable towards the end doesn't help either. Fucking waste of time.

urmom

Learned
Mass Effect. Pillars. Any Larian RPG. I'm on the fence about Wasteland 2.

I was smart and stopped Numenera pretty early on.

purpleblob

Savant
Jade Empire, Neverwinter Night 2 OC, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Pillars of Eternity 2, GreedFall

Polanski

Scholar
Maybe PF:KM. But only because during the first half it was one of my favorite games ever played.

The resolution of the story was just way too long, tedious and buggy. I had to come back several times with months between, because it felt wrong to not have finished it. In the end I turned the difficulty to story mode and rushed everything to actually get it done. I felt dirty and disappointed.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't regret finishing any RPGs. Even the weak ones taught me something (for example, about shitty game design). Besides, as you may know, I like exploring obscure games... and most of them are obscure for a reason.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would say Dragon Age Origins except... I quit in the Deep Roads. I'm a quitter. My father was a quitter. His father before him was a quitter. I was born to give up. And in this case I'm pretty sure that's a good thing but I know there was no payoff in the end worth getting through that.

The one I really regret is ME3 where I could have just quit before the last few missions where the "biological versus synthetic" plot thread appeared and I wouldn't feel so victimized now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only one which comes to mind is Lionheart. I remember being disappointed even as a kid. It's actually the game which taught me to quit a game halfway through if the strong start doesn't lead to anything.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion. I loved Morrowind and I had so high hopes for Oblivion that I ignored what should have been obvious signs that the game was designed to be dumbed down popamole. I kept playing expecting the game to get good but then I reached the ending and realized that was all the game had to offer.

Ivan

Arcane
Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Divinity 2 (the action game), ATOM (didn't click for me)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't regret any.
The ones I would have regretted finished are ones that I ended up dropping because they were infuriating to play through, and I knew it wasn't going to get any better, only worse.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Pillars of Eternity. What an absolute bland, disappointing slog. It took me entire game to realize that the only reason I bothered was hearing funny Durance banter.

Durance was written by Avellone.

Also this and Deadfire which somehow was even worse.

I know. Avellone tricked me into finishing a shitty game. Makes me glad all these shitty projects removed his contributions because I'd be inclined to also play this garbage. I'm such a fucking moron I'd probably even buy Dying Light 2.

snoek

Cipher
Witcher 3 (does that count as an RPG for the 'dex?) Last part of the game was meh. And the ending is influenced by some BS.

Aarwolf

Learned
Deadfire, NWN2 OC, D:OS, Gothic (playable trailer shit from a year ago or so, not the original one).

distant

Learned
Most recent example was Outer Worlds. Started kinda bland, then just stayed that way for most of the game. I really wanted to like that game.

Takamori

Learned
RPGs in general didn't touch stuff that made me regret or feel bad for going through. Even CP2077 that is a fucking lost potential all over the place, even called a good game under a pile of shit I didn't regret playing.
Its not like we are playing Gacha, I think thats the only game genre that feels like a complete waste of time. Insult your time spent, force you to spend money in garbage and add a humongous timesink in order to force you to dish dollars out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom