Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
God I want him to be taken out behind the shed and shot.

I mean, people always knew Fergus was a shill and a dolt based simply on an old quote Saint_Proverbius had for years in his signature, displaying the difference between his mode of thought vs. Tim Cain's, which also showed the difference between Troika and Black Isle / Obsidian by way of depth and breadth.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
He wasn't in charge of that decision

He never is.

Interestingly, Soyer is always making a point out of things he didn't have control over (like RTwP or ship combat), and none of the things he had direct control over (ruleset symmetry and pro-accessibility approach). Which are things that actually broke the game.

Most pathetic is his desperate intent to milk the Deadfire controversy forever, like a travelling beggar, with Infinitron dug up beneath his right ballsack, and Roguey dug up beneath his left ballsack.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Eh, Roguey isn't like that. More about just bringing up old stuff and calling him out on shit.

Back on topic: Ultimately it could be possible that Sawyer actually thinks his stuff was good enough and that the things he had no control over are the things that ruined the game. I mean, sometimes it comes off as an attitude of a pretentious modder who's forced to work on something he doesn't want to, so he drags his feet, contributes bare minimum to the effort, and whines about how it was a waste of his time years afterwards. Literally a somethingawful poster.

The guy is a loser.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
He wasn't in charge of that decision

He never is.

Interestingly, Soyer is always making a point out of things he didn't have control over (like RTwP or ship combat), and none of the things he had direct control over (ruleset symmetry and pro-accessibility approach). Which are things that actually broke the game.

Most pathetic is his desperate intent to milk the Deadfire controversy forever, like a travelling beggar, with Infinitron dug up beneath his right ballsack, and Roguey dug up beneath his left ballsack.

While rule symmetry did make things worse I doubt your average player really notices these things all that much. I wager the non-existent difficulty and god-awful narrative design are much more important for the general public. Both things he did have control over at least in the sequel.

If your game plays itself and the story is boring and incoherent then who is the game for?

J1M

Arcane
It's okay to be jealous of Soyer. He gets paid 200k/year to do a job that I'm sure anyone on this forum would love to have. Just another example in the game industry of the set of skills and attributes required to attain a decision-making position like that having little overlap with the set of skills and attributes required to excel at the job itself.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's okay to be jealous of Soyer. He gets paid 200k/year to do a job that I'm sure anyone on this forum would love to have. Just another example in the game industry of the set of skills and attributes required to attain a decision-making position like that having little overlap with the set of skills and attributes required to excel at the job itself.
I guess you could say he had to strike quite a balance.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Because it has one of the worst lore and worldbuilding, ever.

Naming conventions are ripped off hard from Welsh/Irish Gaelic. Then you have Harry Potter-level worldbuilding. Fampyrs = vampires, gûls = ghouls, xaurips = kobolds, vithracks = illithid, planetouched = godlikes. Wow, so original. Vailian Trading Company = East India Company, Neketaka = Titikaka, etc. It's literally talentless banal shite.

Now couple bad lore with bad delivery (text dumps) and you get a creative disaster.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Titicaca is a lake in South America. It's not Polynesian like the rest of Deadfire. Neketaka just sounds appropriate to the setting because Polynesian languages are more vowel-heavy than English and use simple monomoraic syllables.

Polyphemus

Educated

I mean, people always knew Fergus was a shill and a dolt based simply on an old quote Saint_Proverbius had for years in his signature, displaying the difference between his mode of thought vs. Tim Cain's, which also showed the difference between Troika and Black Isle / Obsidian by way of depth and breadth.
What was that quote?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

What was that quote?

The exact I can't recall. Cain was quoted as talking about building a deeper, more reactive and immersive world. Fergus was talking about cooler minigun effects. It upset Black Isle devs enough that I think Fergus or someone close asked SP to remove it. And I think he said fuck off.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I would love it if it was revealed that all these PoE questions were tracked down to be coming from one IP Address. And that happened to be the same as the guy who answers them. Who gives a fuck. Talk about the new game you're doing. Jesus.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

:despair:

Remember that Josh is probably one of the 5 best paid employees at Obsidian and the only thing he's purchased in the past 10 years is a bicycle.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Imagine having a high position in a Microsoft-owned company and still being unable to buy a house. Is Feargus paying him peanuts or what?

Wunderbar

Arcane
If Sawyer can't retire despite his situation, then Avellone is definitely broke right now. The guy stopped posting on twitter not because he was cancelled, but because he lives on a street.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Would he really want to buy a house if he doesn't plan on having a family? Renting is better if you don't want to get tied down to one place.

Still though, not being able to buy one with a $200k salary is pretty dire.

rojay

Scholar
How do some of you reconcile your hatred of Sawyer with how often you post in a thread about him?

I mean, I think we all know the answer, but I'd love to hear one of you admit it...

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
How do some of you reconcile your hatred of Sawyer with how often you post in a thread about him?

I mean, I think we all know the answer, but I'd love to hear one of you admit it...
Hatred is a strong aphrodisiac.

Quillon

Arcane
why buy a house near where you worked after you retire? plus he mentioned several times how he doesn't like living there

Efe

Erudite
he could probably buy 2-3 houses in 3rd world and live out his days in a coastal town while shitposting about game balance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom