Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There's one question about this game that doesn't let me go: Bastard's wound - is it the wound caused by bastard, or wound caused to bastard?

It's the psychological wounds inflicted on you while playing this piece of shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So much for being a fatebinder. You supported the disfavored once, so now their mortal enemies are also your mortal enemies. No more need for any judgements.

You can always break the alliance and go your own way. :M

But you cannot. You don't even get the option to prove yourself. Don't let that first rebel go, no questions asked? Irredeemable mortal enemies forever. You do let a single rebel leader go? This changes things entirely!
To me this is a juvenile, simplistic worldview.

People care a lot about their leaders, yes.

And yeah, rebels are in no position to be picky

"Let's trust the stranger who came down to wipe us all out once and for all, who's already been actively participating in that effort, nothing could go wrong."

Testownia

So much for being a fatebinder. You supported the disfavored once, so now their mortal enemies are also your mortal enemies. No more need for any judgements.

But you cannot. You don't even get the option to prove yourself. Don't let that first rebel go, no questions asked? Irredeemable mortal enemies forever. You do let a single rebel leader go? This changes things entirely!
To me this is a juvenile, simplistic worldview.

People care a lot about their leaders, yes.

And yeah, rebels are in no position to be picky

"Let's trust the stranger who came down to wipe us all out once and for all, who's already been actively participating in that effort, nothing could go wrong."

You forgot to add "who was also hand-picked by either Kyros herself or Tunon, one of her few actually trusted Archons."

Togukawa

Savant
Patron

Not there. I wouldn't have minded if you found a solution and then got ultimatum from disfavored to kill them all. That would be a nice touch, where the restriction makes sense.
Instead, in conversation with beastmen, you can pick "goodbye for now" and "attack!!".
Arbitrary and forced.

As for rebels thing, I just hate that that minor decision locks you out. It's something that should count for or against you, not be the sole deciding factor.
If anything, I would be a lot more suspicious if the handpicked stranger that came to wipe us out seems to be completely and openly on my side from the beginning, than if it seems a reasonable person that I can convince gradually. For example because instead of slaughtering everyone on sight, the stranger arrests and interrogates instead.

But some people prefer things more black and white I guess.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Are you five years old? No, rebels shouldn't trust PC at any circumstances: he could be walking around, killing Kyros' loyalists left and right and who knows - maybe it's a plot on her side for it's well known that she has no compassion for her own soldiers and can sacrifice them to achieve some other goal; soldiers are expendable, and putting some to the knife is acceptable price to gain recognition from rebels and crush them from inside. Game literally begs for a storyline full of double crossing and Machiavellian scheming; instead, we got kindergarten level morality.

Alphons

Cipher
Finished it after 27 hours as a Rebel loyalist. Tyranny feels unfinished, but not in the way KOTOR 2 and New Vegas felt. They felt like stuff was cut during production, while Tyranny feels like it was designed unfinished (probably Feargus relocating it's budget).

Combat is tedious, 6 enemies through the entire game (swordsman, spearman, mage, archer/ thrower, beastmen, Old Wall ghosts), only at the end you get some variety when fighting Archonts.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if you could avoid combat. But you can't.
Game punishes you all the time for trying to sneak around enemies. You're forced into dialogue which puts you out of stealth, your companions are teleported into enemies you've stealthed around and you end up having to fight several groups at the same time. I've used stealth successfully 4 times to avoid single groups of enemies.
Dialogue checks also don't do much. You either get Subterfuge/ Lore check to scare 1 enemy off or Athletics check to kill 1 enemy. And partway through Chapter 2 even those checks stopped appearing.

There's no side content. I've had 10 side quests, 6 of them were simple fetch/ kill quests. Maybe half an hour out of my playtime was spent on side quests.

Exploration is shit. Every map (even an open meadow) is a tunnel with unavoidable enemy checkpoints along the way and some minor loot locked behind Subterfuge/ Athletics check.
Some genius decided that it would be fun if you had to collect several different keys in Old Walls and then had to check every key in every lock and if you guess wrong (or right in some cases) additional enemies spawn.

To end on positive note- art department did a fantastic job. Maps, loading screens, conquest and ending slides were pretty. I liked the companions, though I wish they were all as interesting as Lantry and Barik. I liked the concept behind the world, but I feel like it wasn't fleshed out.

TL;DR: I've had more fun with Dragon Age: Origins. Tyranny combat and exploration felt like Deep Roads for the entire game.

Last edited:

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Finished it after 27 hours as a Rebel loyalist. Tytanny feels unfinished, but not in the way KOTOR 2 and New Vegas felt. They felt like stuff was cut during production, while Tyranny feels like it was designed unfinished (probably Feargus relocating it's budget).

Combat is tedious, 6 enemies through the entire game (swordsman, spearman, mage, archer/ thrower, beastmen, Old Wall ghosts), only at the end you get some variety when fighting Archonts.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if you could avoid combat. But you can't.
Game punishes you all the time for trying to sneak around enemies. You're forced into dialogue which puts you out of stealth, your companions are teleported into enemies you've stealthed around and you end up having to fight several groups at the same time. I've used stealth successfully 4 times to single groups of enemies.
Dialogue checks also don't do much. You either get Subterfuge/ Lore check to scare 1 enemy off or Athletics check to kill 1 enemy. And partway through Chapter 2 even those checks stopped appearing.

There's no side content. I've had 10 side quests, 6 of them were simple fetch/ kill quests. Maybe half an hour out of my playtime was spent on side quests.

Exploration is shit. Every map (even an open meadow) is a tunnel with unavoidable enemy checkpoints along the way and some minor loot locked behind Subterfuge/ Athletics check.
Some genius decided that it would be fun if had to collect several different keys in Old Walls and then had to check every key in every lock and if you guess wrong (or right in some cases) additional enemies spawn.

To end on positive note- art department did a fantastic job. Maps, loading screens, conquest and ending slides were pretty. I liked the companions, though I wish they were all as interesting as Lantry and Barik. I liked the concept behind the world, but I feel like it wasn't fleshed out.

TL;DR: I've had more fun with Dragon Age: Origins. Tyranny combat and exploration felt like Deep Roads for the entire game.
>Dragon age
zoomer shit there m9
Accurate analysis though the game is conceptually a masterpiece but the execution as far as gameplay goes left much to be desired, player choice and consequence and story are extremely well done however.

Lhynn

Arcane
>Dragon age
zoomer shit there m9
Accurate analysis though the game is conceptually a masterpiece but the execution as far as gameplay goes left much to be desired, player choice and consequence and story are extremely well done however.
>conceptually

Fuck your concepts nigger, make a good game.

Seusin

Educated
All you need to know:

1. They didn't actually give you an option to be a loyal agent of Kyros. A last minute conversation option doesn't count.

2. Lantry, Sirin, and Barik when you're on the path to break him are the most not bad of the party members. Everyone else is just a fantasy femcunt (Verse, Eb), a noble savagey orc (that furry), and Bleden Mark.

3. The poster saying it's bad design you can't join the rebels after pretending to be loyal to Kyros is right.

4. There should have only been paths for being Kyros' loyal agent or being a rebel. None of that "Ima tak ova the kingdom mwahaha" path that drained resources.

Poseidon00

Arcane
1. They didn't actually give you an option to be a loyal agent of Kyros. A last minute conversation option doesn't count.

They allowed you to play that part for the entire game. Or switch sides at key moments.

Like i've already said I like the ideas behind Tyranny enough that I can enjoy it for what it is. An RPG-lite with a setting I can really appreciate.

Seusin

Educated
''They didn't actually give you an option to be a loyal agent of Kyros.''
Except they did.
In patch. Not the base game. Cop-out writing at that. "Hurr I was doin the plan the whole time" isn't good writing.

They allowed you to play that part for the entire game. Or switch sides at key moments.

Like i've already said I like the ideas behind Tyranny enough that I can enjoy it for what it is. An RPG-lite with a setting I can really appreciate.

Next you'll be defending Mass Effect.

It's been awhile, but I tried playing the game as a LE Tunon loyalist. The problem was that the game treats you a like a renegade even if you judge all the parties as guilty. It also sucks how they force your hand into choosing a camp early on. That didn't help.

Poseidon00

Arcane
It's been awhile, but I tried playing the game as a LE Tunon loyalist. The problem was that the game treats you a like a renegade even if you judge all the parties as guilty.

It's been awhile but IIRC yeah, you can argue that both parties are guilty, even suggest it early on to Tunon, but he is set in his mind that only one party is to blame and not choosing a single guilty party is a "failure" on your part. Even though they both are lol

Seusin

Educated
It's been awhile, but I tried playing the game as a LE Tunon loyalist. The problem was that the game treats you a like a renegade even if you judge all the parties as guilty. It also sucks how they force your hand into choosing a camp early on. That didn't help.

That happened since they didn't design a scenario like what you say since they were either lazy, rushing the game out, or as I suspect they just wanted the canon route to be any path where you're an enemy of Kyros.

It's been awhile, but I tried playing the game as a LE Tunon loyalist. The problem was that the game treats you a like a renegade even if you judge all the parties as guilty.

It's been awhile but IIRC yeah, you can argue that both parties are guilty, even suggest it early on to Tunon, but he is set in his mind that only one party is to blame and not choosing a single guilty party is a "failure" on your part. Even though they both are lol

I meant to write Kyros loyalist. What was even more confusing with Tunon than forcing your hand, is how in the end he swears fealty to the PC for being such pure embodiment of law. What? I never asked for his allegiance. Tunon was supposed to be one of the First Archon's an Kyros's right hand. Having him jump ship to you because you're so good at enforcing Kyros's law made no sense to me. Again, it's been awhile Perhaps I'm remembered it wrong. I'd like to read someone else's take on it.

vibehunter

Learned
So, I really like the idea of roleplaying as "evil enforcer of iron-fisted empire crushing dissidents without mercy" but I have no interest in this particular game. Are there any alternatives that are well-executed? Nothing comes to mind for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I really like the idea of roleplaying as "evil enforcer of iron-fisted empire crushing dissidents without mercy" but I have no interest in this particular game. Are there any alternatives that are well-executed? Nothing comes to mind for me.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can do this in the Empire Aflame DLC for Fantasy General 2.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (sort of). Technomancer (also sort of).

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (sort of). Technomancer (also sort of).
Cringefinder Kangmaker

Lokiamis

Learned

I meant to write Kyros loyalist. What was even more confusing with Tunon than forcing your hand, is how in the end he swears fealty to the PC for being such pure embodiment of law. What? I never asked for his allegiance. Tunon was supposed to be one of the First Archon's an Kyros's right hand. Having him jump ship to you because you're so good at enforcing Kyros's law made no sense to me. Again, it's been awhile Perhaps I'm remembered it wrong. I'd like to read someone else's take on it.

The way I remember it, he asked why I committed some minor trespassing crime (the game forced me to, I didn't have an alternative to progress). I told him that maybe sometimes the ends justify the means, which shattered the physical embodiment of Law's worldview so severely that he dropped to his knees, denounced Kyros, and immediately swore fealty to me and declared war on Kyros on my behalf (without giving me the option to tell him to fuck off and execute him for treachery). It was very stupid.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yo, I'm planning a first run with a 2H build with little-to-none use of magic (already did a bit of a meta research of available companions)

Is the game hard on PotD?

I've finished PoE1 on PotD (and started a couple on unfinished runs) and beside early game I didn't have many problems - should I be ok?

Unlike PoE, the game doesn't allow you to change difficulty to PotD after start, and I'm kinda afraid that it become too easy on hard and I'll dump the playthrough mid-game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom