Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Strangeland - new adventure game from Wormwood Studios

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Bought. Played. And finished. I've recently begun the second walkthrough with commentaries and annotations.

A few thoughts.
I'll be honest, it's very hard to be neutral when a game like this is presented as the result of the author's own attempt (or that of his grandpa) to cope with a similar situation. It's a bit like psychological blackmail. I have this ridiculous feeling, from which it is very hard to abstract, as if by criticizing the game I show disrespect for the author's experience. But I will do my best.

I liked Primordia better overall. And I think there are three main narrative reasons. First, Strangeland is too allegorical for my taste. I prefer stories that work both as allegories and as more classical narratives, i.e. stories in which 'real' events take place, but which, however, at the same time call for some kind of symbolic or psychological interpretation. By 'real' events I mean that they did not happen only in the character's head, that it was not his purely phenomenological introspection of his own grief or some other emotion. Primordia has a layer of 'real' story, Strangeland doesn't. Second, one consequence of allegoricality, in this case, is the actual absence of other characters. As Mark himself says in the commentary, the Stranger is surrounded only by his own thoughts, memories, fears, and other emotions, taking one form or another. For me, it's more of a disadvantage. I'm fine with loneliness in Myst-like games, but I expect interaction with other characters, real characters, in classic style graphic adventures. This, by the way, is one of the reasons I don't really dig The Dig, which is essentially just a Myst-like disguised as a classic Lucasarts adventure game. In Primordia, by comparison, there are a huge number of colorful characters. Third, the narrative is built on a very strong emotion relating to a very difficult experience of loss. But unfortunately (luckily!?), I have no such experience, so it was hard for me to really relate to the narrative. My grandparents died too, but it was much less tragic. I was sad, of course, but I certainly didn't have the problem of getting out of my grief into the real world. I tried to imagine myself in the place of a widower, but although I have a wife whom I love very much, I don't really understand the feelings of a widower. Maybe I lack imagination. But strangely enough, I found it easier to relate to Horatio from Primordia, even though he is a robot.

What I liked about the narrative was the clear sense of meaningfulness. It seems to me that very often psychological horror stories throw a lot of depressing imagery at the viewer/player/reader, which, however, turn out to be quite arbitrary. To be honest, I think that Dark Seed 1 and 2 are just such games. Maybe also Harvester. They can be shocking the first time, but then you start to realize that their scares don't add up to a coherent emotion. In Strangeland, I felt smart. I quickly discerned the token hints of cancer and even guessed that a hypertrophied conscience was on the phone. Clearly, it's not that I'm so smart, it's that these aren't arbitrary images, that there's a plan behind them, that they're well presented. That's cool.

Just a few words about other things. The writing is very good. Clever, but not pretentious. The Scribe, of course, is a bit annoying with his bookish platitudes, but it quickly becomes clear that this is the reaction (at least partially) he is supposed to elicit.

I thought that the game was not difficult in terms of puzzles, and that the puzzles are fair. After solving some of them I also had the feeling (as I did when interpreting the symbols representing cancer) that I am smart. Seems to me to be an accurate marker of good puzzles. And by the way, I liked the phone number puzzle!

The presentation of the game is brilliant. The sound, picture, and voice acting are excellent. Only the animation of the humanoid characters fell a little short of the level of everything else. But this was to be expected, with the increase in resolution requirements to the animation grows incredibly. That's why I still love the classic 320x240.

Starwars

Arcane
Finished it, really enjoyed it overall! Didn't like it as much as Primordia, but that's becoming one of those things where it's kinda hard to judge for me. Primordia just hit me at the right time and it just turned into such a favorite.

I loved the art direction and how bizarre the game is. And I must say that I was pretty impressed with how invested I felt in the story, given that there's very little to sort of ground it. Games that deal with this kind of storytelling often feels like they're just weird for the sake of being weird. And Strangeland is... well, I actually feel like it delights in being weird, but it is very self-aware of that fact. And so it all comes together in quite a satisfying way.
The writing, visuals and audio are all very good. Though audio-wise, I had to fiddle around with the volume controls as some areas sounded a bit overtly "messy" in the way it's all mixed. .

I guess my main complaint is that I did find it a bit easy overall. I called the help-line once regarding the number puzzle. Was on the right path but it slightly. There was also an area in the second part of the game that I just missed for a while because it was hard to see.

Overall, really enjoyed it. Great work!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
WallaceChambers Thanks very much for this review, which strikes me as very generous. Your read on the change from the first to second part in terms of dialogue was my intention, so I'm glad for it. I particularly liked "a lot of quotable lines throughout"; no review positive or otherwise has flagged that, which irked my vanity. Now I'm less irked!

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd No blackmail intended, though I see how that could come across. (My expectation was that only a tiny minority of players would read the dev diaries or listen to commentary, so I wouldn't expect most to even be aware of it.) I don't take criticism as criticism of my experience, and I think criticism of the game is always helpful. I'm glad you liked the phone number puzzle! It's my favorite, but it's gotten a lot of flack. I really appreciated "clear sense of meaningfulness" and "[c]lever, but not pretentious." Your thoughts about the Myst/non-Myst distinction are well taken, and I think a very fair criticism.

Starwars

Arcane
I wouldn't say that MRY. Everyone wants different things from these types of games. Yes, I would've liked slightly more difficult gameplay but I also wouldn't say it's so easy that you barely feel like you're doing anything. It also does keep the pace up which was maybe the right thing in the case of this game as it's less of an "open" adventure game.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, I do still like to keep the challenge up!

Thanks, by the way, for posting your review on Steam as well. :)

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Finished it, it was pretty meh as I expected. I gave it a 2/5 in my review on GOG.
Sorry to hear it. Not sure why you would inflict a bad game on yourself. I hope at least you didn't pay for it in money on top of in suffering and wasted time. :(

I was curious to see what all the fuss was about. Fortunately the suffering was only 4 hours long. And no worries about the money, I didn't pay for it.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
What fuss? :)

You know, the usual wadjeteye fuss of your fanboys here: "Weeeee! Primordia's creators, one of tha best adventures eva are going to release their second game after so many years!"
By the way did you like my review on GOG? I wrote it with care and love.

Here, take it as a souvenir.

Casual guessing game of allegory

Metaphors, allegories, solve some casual puzzles in a tiny carnival , a few more metaphors, a few more allegories, repeat the nonsense. This sums up the whole 4 hours experience.

Using a few metaphors/allegories is ok but to structure the whole game through a plethora of those is the definition of pretentiousness.
Characters exist only to spout metaphorical nonsense non-stop without contributing something meaningful to the plot.
It's like those indie small pretentious movies that put you in a loop, which lets you guessing what is happening all the time.
Again, it's not a bad thing to assume and /or think about meanings, and come to conclusions for yourself, but the writer over used it in an autistic way.
Apparently he forgot what ancient Greek philosophers have said in the past, "all things in moderation".

Story feels kinda of "dark" and at the same time uninteresting and meaningless for the reasons I've mention above.
Also don't expect to get answers or interesting endings, as I said it's a guessing game not an "adventure" game.

Gameplay wise also don't expect much, exploration is reduced to a minimum with very few tiny rooms to explore and interact,
puzzles are very casual and the one that felt like a bit of a challenge, was retarded in the end.
The only good things I have to say about this are the art style and the sound design, but of course these are not enough to recommend the game.
Finally, this game has nothing in common with Sanitarium and to even compare it with it (as a few clueless folks here did) it's a disgrace.
2/5

Don Peste

Arcane
Read the PC Gamer review?

https://www.pcgamer.com/strangeland-review/
JqcqEGK.jpg

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/strangeland

adventuregamers.com said:
Wormwood Studios made an impressive debut in 2012 with Primordia, so expectations were high for their long-awaited follow-up, and it does not disappoint. Unlike their earlier postapocalyptic sci-fi adventure, Strangeland is a surrealist, psychologic horror adventure that feels like it was drawn by H.R. Giger, designed by M.C. Escher, and written by Aeschylus. It’s a polished, well-written, well-acted and intriguing interactive nightmare that is easily worth your time—if you can stomach the unrelenting depressive tone and disturbing imagery.

upload_2021-5-28_4-41-55.png

adventuregamers.com said:
Strangeland is a surrealist, psychologic horror adventure that feels like it was drawn by H.R. Giger, designed by M.C. Escher, and written by Aeschylus.

I would imagine that the team must be satisfied with these comparisons. :)

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

The review says: Strangeland lives up to its name, if not its promise as Primordia's successor.

Meanwhile, Primordia:

View attachment 19347

Tbh this is vidya joornolizm in a nutshell. Primordia was niche when released, so they could just piss over it for whatever stupid reasons without fear of any repercussions, but today when it turned out that the game actually ended up popular, they have to go 'oops' and sweep that revio under the rug, pretending it never happened, and jumping on the bandwagon of general opinioun.

Sad He-Man

Educated
I think the one thing that cannot be stressed enough is the mastery of the AGS engine and the production values as a whole. What you guys did with the fluidity of UI, the in game animation and the application of effects and plugins (?) is on the next level. I dunno, man. I struggle to name any other as professionally made AGS game. Including Dave's stuff.
About UX solutions like double click to exit and using mouse wheel to circle through inventory. Dunno if this is standard for 2021 PnC games, but if not: well done.
I do think that both Primordia and Strangeland would benefit from using more parallax backgrounds to give a sense depth and vastness of locations in both titles.

The game itself is a bit of a mixed bag. I really think that the setting and theme work against it. The overabundance of allegories killed any (body) horror or tension I might have felt. It somehow also feels strangely derivate and too close to the themes and imagery of not only Primordia, but also Sanitarium, PST, and MotB.

I had great time with the gameplay part, tho. I am a total failure at adventure games so it might be a sign that the game is too easy. :)

Fingers crossed for more mainstream recognition for you guys.

Starwars

Arcane
Yeah, I have to say that I love the "cinematic" aspects of it. The little cutscenes and stuff are just beautifully done, but also not numerous or annoying enough to sort of interrupt the game too much. They fit in really well, and are always a treat to look at.

I'm also a sucker for the little custom UI things used in some puzzles that were there in Primordia as well. It makes it feel more interactive as well as making the game more interesting to look at.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Very nice words from all. It is a little weird for Primordia to go from being whipped by journos to being the whip they use to thrash Strangeland, but so it goes.

The mouse wheel might be used elsewhere but I wasn’t aware of any when proposing it to James. The smoothness compliment is a nice one to hear; it owes a lot to James in the first instance and then our tireless testers.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
RPS describes SL as "marmite-y" and I feel like a phone just rang in my head and Abe Goldfarb hissed, "How do you like incomprehensible references now, you idiot?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS describes SL as "marmite-y" and I feel like a phone just rang in my head and Abe Goldfarb hissed, "How do you like incomprehensible references now, you idiot?"

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/strangeland-review

Strangeland review: a smart, dark puzzle game that's a bit Marmite-y
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

In Strangeland you, a man in a half-undone, old-timey straightjacket, wake up with no memory of who, what or where you are. The "where", it soon appears, is the titular land, a sort of grimdark carnival floating in a terrible void. It is rendered in lovely pixels that make everything look fleshy, even if the colours are all muted. As soon as you arrive, you see a woman throw herself down a well inside the welcome tent.

It is explained to you - by a raven, a head-in-a-box fortune teller, and a payphone caller who hates you - that she does this repeatedly, because death doesn't work the same here. You immediately fixate on saving this woman, and set about doing so in a point 'n' click puzzle fashion. And if you've seen any prestige horror films in the last few years, or even just engaged with any horror tropes before, you'll figure out what Strangeland's deal is in about 30 seconds.

388.jpg

Its whole vibe is like an episode of Twilight Zone via an episode of American Horror Story via if Tim Burton got trapped in a secret vore nightmare, and every second inhabitant tells the protagonist he's an idiot loser who makes everything he touches worse. Many conversations and visual metaphors end up being about the self, and self-image, and how to change oneself. Eyes and mirrors both come up a lot. There are several references to a black dog. Need I elaborate further?

I'm not smart enough to talk about all the nuances of these kinds of representations; I don't know, for example, if anything in Strangeland is particularly crass or offensive. But the reason that horror keeps going back to the trauma-and-depression-metaphor well is that it is an enduringly effective way to make an audience feel uncomfortable. Not that Strangeland is going to keep you up at night, but it's got some cool, graphic - or at least graphically weird - bits that take advantage of its form. It's a bit of a wincer to see a woman's head slowly sliding into a cross section of two pieces as she says "help me!", even if it's all in greyscale pixels. As a work of horror Strangeland is doing way more interesting things than yer Outlasts, for example.

It's also pretty funny at times. Throwing stones at a raven that has your face just kind of is, as are several of the characters. My favourite is a big furnace called Eight-Three (as in 8-3), who feels a bit like one of the robots from Futurama. Eight-Three is grand and monotone but also still really can't be arsed with you. When you say goodbye to them, they go "YOU HAVE SAID SO BEFORE" in a way that communicates a raised eyebrow without any eyebrows in sight.

Some of the rest of it feels a bit like it's trying too hard to be clever, with banterous wordplay becoming a bit strained, and metaphors and edginess crashing into a mix of mythical references that would have made me roll my eyes. Get a load of this guy dot jaypeg. But at several points other characters have a go at the protagonist for, essentially, being a naval-gazing hack because of this very thing. A risky move, but I'll allow it.

I have a feeling the tone of Strangeland is the Marmite bit, predicted by how strong your reaction is to the kind of sad short stories about bad relationships or depression that have spiders or clowns doodled in the margins. But the other bit is the puzzle bit, which is unambiguously good. Expect the usual picking up of things and combining them in your inventory, or using them on the envrionment. Except because of the setting it's all stuff like "rat skin" and "homunculus".

Point and click adventure games have largely moved away from the old 'use random thing on other thing for inexplicable reason' kind of puzzle solution. Even so, Strangeland is smarter than most, and lays out puzzles and solutions so you can see the path before you gradually lighting up. Sometimes you might see a lamp flicker on a few steps down the road, and it's very pleasing when the gaps get filled in. Gold wings are made mention of, but you don't find anything gold for a while after that, and even then you need to figure out how to sharpen your knife - which you know involves finding out a mermaid's name... Much like Hannibal, I love it when a plan comes together.

There are other little touches that I really appreciate. You can use a mouse wheel to scroll through and select the items in your inventory, for example, and you can use the in-game payphone to call a tip line that has specific and useful advice. Rather than saying "you need to light the spirit lamps", which you already knew, Strangeland will tell you exactly how to do that, or note that you have eveything you need in you inventory already. The voice on the end of the line is exasperated at your calls for help, too.

If you don't want any very explicit or spoilery hints, the raven in the welcome tent will sometimes yell out the key thing you should be working on. It's a neat way to aim you in the right direction, or clue you in to what should be possible at the stage you're at.

Strangeland is careful to say that though some puzzles have more than one solution, and you may make some choices, there is no bad or wrong ending. Perhaps what I liked most, inbetween the giant talking cicada and the clown masks like the ones off The Dark Knight and the flesh lump with many mouths, is that death has several layers in Strangeland. The protagonist can die as many times as he wants. In some places it's the only way to progress, or is a valid part of solving a puzzle.

It's an interesting suberversion, because dying is often how you know you've failed a puzzle in a point and click game. I mean, it's famously a failstate in most games, and Strangeland is making a definite choice - one that contrasts with the ultimate revelation that in reality death is pretty final.

You can rip through Strangeland in a morning, if you feel like it. You'll either love everything that is implied by a creepy carnival and funhouse mirrors and the black dog and the giant crab, and engage really well with all the back-and-forth wordplay and the layers of meaning, or you'll hate it. All that Donnie Darko bullshit. Who has the time? But it's a bit of a shame if you're one of the latter, because the depression goo is mixed up with some very nice puzzle design.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Read the PC Gamer review?
So, I'm not sold on this game, I don't usually buy digital media, and I have to really be sold to buy something in that format. I'm not sold on this yet. Most of the reviews so far are generally not telling me much, since most gaming journalists lack the talent to play games and to sell me on their opinions. But there is something this one mentioned that doesn't fill me with confidence. In this puzzle section this guy mentions that the game has a tile puzzle or a board of lights. That sounds more like Lights Out than a sliding puzzle, but either way, really? Being another game that pads out its length with these kinds of generic puzzles is something I find really obnoxious. It doesn't add anything, and in some cases can make the game worse. I hope I'm just misreading this though, because this sounds very Dark Seed 2-ish in general, and I actually liked that game.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I would never push anyone to play (let alone buy) a game that they are skeptical of. There are enough clearly good games, and so little time.

There is a "lights out" puzzle, which can be bypassed entirely with a more straightforward inventory solution. For what it's worth, I think it's actually on-theme for where it is, and I believe it's the only such puzzle in the game. (All of the "minigame" puzzles are bypassable through other means, of course.) I have no idea why it was called a sliding puzzle, but such is life.

Based on a quick Google search, there seem ample avenues to try before you buy, but to me the price point is less of an issue than a game's quality. If you don't think you'll like it, you shouldn't play it. That said, it is almost unimaginable to me that the reason someone might dislike it is the limited inclusion of non-inventory-based puzzles. People might dislike it for theme, narrative approach, P&C elements in general, or length (it's fairly short). If someone enjoyed the plot, art, music, themes, P&C aspects, etc., I'm fairly sure that the inclusion of an optional lights out puzzle won't change that

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I would never push anyone to play (let alone buy) a game that they are skeptical of. There are enough clearly good games, and so little time.

There is a "lights out" puzzle, which can be bypassed entirely with a more straightforward inventory solution. For what it's worth, I think it's actually on-theme for where it is, and I believe it's the only such puzzle in the game. (All of the "minigame" puzzles are bypassable through other means, of course.) I have no idea why it was called a sliding puzzle, but such is life.

Based on a quick Google search, there seem ample avenues to try before you buy, but to me the price point is less of an issue than a game's quality. If you don't think you'll like it, you shouldn't play it. That said, it is almost unimaginable to me that the reason someone might dislike it is the limited inclusion of non-inventory-based puzzles. People might dislike it for theme, narrative approach, P&C elements in general, or length (it's fairly short). If someone enjoyed the plot, art, music, themes, P&C aspects, etc., I'm fairly sure that the inclusion of an optional lights out puzzle won't change that
Its not that I don't care for non-inventory puzzles, its just I dislike the generic puzzles that a lot of games saddle themselves with. Lights Out, sliding tile puzzle, Tower of Hanoi, and I'm sure some others I'm forgetting. They're the kind of thing that the player usually already knows the answer to, so they're just busywork. Still, nice to hear if I ever pick it up, its nice to know that's optional, because so many games make puzzles like that mandatory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom