Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I like the crusade system, it feels like HoMaM lite
I love HoMM, so if it’s a lighter version that’ll be much better than kingdom management, guess I’ll have to see next month.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
P.S.: also, reading that idiot with "Poland" as the country I am starting to realize why Cyberpunk-2077 has not become Witcher-4.

Good to know that wanting a QoL change that decreases much of tedium, which is included in most of modern tactical games is considered idiocy. Keep at it, and you will soon hit the levels of pompousness and ridiculousness of Pope Amole aka nerd commando. He is at least smarter than you.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously Stavrophore you fight stuff then if you’re missing you figure out what’s going on and miss less. Then repeat a few times and before you know it you’re not missing much at all and no longer need to check.

This is a fun experience.

If you’ve got that floating number people are like WTF 10% nerf! We’re never getting decent games if people blame the game before they even know what’s happening.

Trial and Error. It’s a good default that way to many people never learned in the first place.

Desiderius

Patron
P.S.: also, reading that idiot with "Poland" as the country I am starting to realize why Cyberpunk-2077 has not become Witcher-4.

Good to know that wanting a QoL change that decreases much of tedium, which is included in most of modern tactical games is considered idiocy. Keep at it, and you will soon hit the levels of pompousness and ridiculousness of Pope Amole aka nerd commando. He is at least smarter than you.

Of course I’m ridiculous - that’s the point. Someone with your intelligence acting like a retard is already ridiculous.

And if you think I’m pompous we’ve found the autist here and is isn’t me.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Every modern tactical game which have dice rolls have also hit chance on hover. XCOM, Underrail. Apparently serbians are more competent than russians.
Without % chance to hit shown you won't be mad when you miss with 95% hit chance, so less frustration for casuals as they would be oblivious to how bad they actually are. Checkmate, my friend.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Of course I’m ridiculous - that’s the point. Someone with your intelligence acting like a retard is already ridiculous.

And if you think I’m pompous we’ve found the autist here and is isn’t me.

I thought by quoting LannTheStupid message it was clear to whom i addressed my words. Not everything revolve around you Desiderius ;)

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, I would much preferred the log window in XCOM games. Then "100% misses" - which are actually 99.6%, for example - would not be getting such uproar among redditors.

Granted, Phoenix Point exists.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Unfortunately judging by the Discord people do need the strategic layer to be this straightforward. And it probably does early on to help people build up their confidence enough to learn how it works.

The people who grew up on dumbed down MMOs will give up if it looks like they won’t be able to readily master it. They’re not used to having to.

This reminds me of playing that tactics mini game in advance of Dragon Age Origins (or maybe it was DA2, I don't remember). Anyway, I thought the game was fun, reasonably challenging for most people I figured but I wanted it to be harder because I had no issues completing it on the hardest difficulty* without ever worrying characters were going to die or anything. Bioware had been considering making it into a full game but I don't think they ever did. Anyway, they'd shared some of the feedback from the thing and one of the common responses that it was too hard and people were unable to complete it. I thought it was funny, as I had written the request for a harder difficulty in my feedback.

I don't mind difficulty settings as an answer to it, but more games should be able to go balls out and not worry about whether or not the mouth breathers can complete it when they need a tutorial to explain what flanking is, etc.

* I think it had easy, normal, hard difficulty settings but it might not have had any options. Unfortunately, I can't find any sign that the thing ever existed and don't remember what it was called.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Unfortunately judging by the Discord people do need the strategic layer to be this straightforward. And it probably does early on to help people build up their confidence enough to learn how it works.

The people who grew up on dumbed down MMOs will give up if it looks like they won’t be able to readily master it. They’re not used to having to.

I think the kingmaking aspect, the whole citybuilding has it's own flow that you have to adhere to in order to successfully resolve problems later on. Failing to adapt to that rhythm, the rigidness of it[like problems appearing at 1st day of month or resolving itself, knowing that when its 14 days till the bald hilltop battle, there will be one day event to resolve, if you fail it it will hammer you with negative events and stat losses] will cause pain. Between every curse fight, you should spend 2/3 of the time in just upgrading your ranks in your city and doing projects, that leave you roughly 70-80 days for doing quests and shit from the 250 days. Since problems will be harder and harder and need higher and higher DC to resolve, you need to rank up your stats. But a person who play the game for the first time, will not know that rushing stats, rushing half time upgrades, cheaper region claims, rushing some very important projects like +2 to resolving problems, building buildings that increase resolve problem chance, is necessary further in the game. If someone don't know that, even with easy sailing at the beginning, they will hit a wall in the midgame, hence the questions -"why i don't have these advisors", or not knowing that you have to go past certain ranks in stats to unlock vital projects, hoard crisis points for the endgame. The game luls you into false sense of security at the beginning, with steep and not gradual increases in difficulty of problems as i said middle game and then late game when you hit pitax. It throws at you useless projects like research into curses, push into strict time constraint thinking it will be always like that, when in reality after troll chapter you will want to upgrade your ranks and stats in a steady focused and even rate, not having +6 in military and +1 in stability. Then there's also unfortunate rolls, like one problematic event can spawn grey rebellion, and kill your stability to lower level. Bringing stability back is costly business. Unfortunate streak of events can seriously cripple your ranks and kingdom stability. Some people also thought that they could specialize their kingdoms like having strong military but weak relations, but it doesn't work that way -you need all stats to be roughly equal to tackle problems, which force you to make funny cities, where in one city there are only economy buildings, in other cultural etc, scrapping your old cities as you go. It's not that these measures are hard to grasp, it's that you gain knowledge of game meta, when the problems unnaturaly intensify in mid game and you start to conceptualize why things start to fall apart. That's why when the game launched many people failed with their kingdoms. Just look how many questions there were about how you can build a new village, because UI and tutorial clearly lacks demonstration that you should click on a specific flag/pole on the parchment. Being proficient in game dev come with experience, owlcat games are new devs without much experience under their belt. That come with time, and their next games will probably be more polished with more QoL and better thought, more engaging and clearer strategic mechanics.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Desiderius

Patron

This reminds me of playing that tactics mini game in advance of Dragon Age Origins (or maybe it was DA2, I don't remember). Anyway, I thought the game was fun, reasonably challenging for most people I figured but I wanted it to be harder because I had no issues completing it on the hardest difficulty* without ever worrying characters were going to die or anything. Bioware had been considering making it into a full game but I don't think they ever did. Anyway, they'd shared some of the feedback from the thing and one of the common responses that it was too hard and people were unable to complete it. I thought it was funny, as I had written the request for a harder difficulty in my feedback.

I don't mind difficulty settings as an answer to it, but more games should be able to go balls out and not worry about whether or not the mouth breathers can complete it when they need a tutorial to explain what flanking is, etc.

* I think it had easy, normal, hard difficulty settings but it might not have had any options. Unfortunately, I can't find any sign that the thing ever existed and don't remember what it was called.

The problem is that they're not mouth breathers.

Playing a game is a different activity for them than it is for us because they were raised on faceroll.

The task is to give them a little taste of what it is for us and get them hooked.

Desiderius

Patron
I was raised on coin-op, they're never getting this far. But I'd like to get them closer.

Desiderius

Patron
Regill Pentamic Faith.jpg

It's on now gentlemen, he even gets the good Domains instead of the crappy meme ones. Of course its bugged to not recognize his Order somehow. How can you implement a feature without checking to see if it works?

In any event this also unlocks Impossible Domain so all the memetards can burn another Mythic chasing their favorite meme builds. Gues you can finally get his Mount via (Mythic Impossible) Animal Domain + Boon Companion.

High price.

Desiderius

Patron
Hard to explain how good this is:

For the Kang.jpg

Maybe most important thing is freeing you from needing Inspire Courage or Lethal Stance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom