Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Honestly, never liked much the at will cantrips, nor the idea of cantrips in the first place. I think that at will stuff is based on 4E and we all know that the unique good 4E is GURPS 4th edition. D&D 4E is an example of what NOT to do with a tabletop game. Low level magic users should run out of spells quickly and resort to a simple weapon, like a crossbow, darts or a dagger. Unlimited casting for a mere lv 1 caster is not something which I like.
Cantrips make sense in tabletop by giving caster-player something to do when he runs out of spells. This is even more true when it comes to high-utility spells that are useful outside of combat.

Rafidur

Learned
Alright we are going to rename weapons user into martial arts user. That will be 100 use for new corebook. Thanks.

We could call that overall class "Fighting Man", but that sure would go completely against the spirit of D&D!

copebot

Learned
Solasta being too easy past a certain point isn't so much related to how it uses the monsters but to how it rations out encounters and the 'adventuring day.'

This is just not true, as I discussed extensively in the Solasta thread. After someone made the same claim there, I played entire maps without long resting once - 5, 6 sometimes 8+ encounters without playing in some autistic manner, cheesing anything or hell even playing that carefully.

The game is ridicoulously easy, and the accessibility of resting isn't the explanation.

More likely, it's that they were so blinded by their 5E-adherence that they forgot the player had a reload-button. Not that you're gonna use it much playing Solasta.

That's attributed to "Not Abiding By the CR Guidelines," as in having many areas with nothing but encounters that would be rated trivial or medium at best. There are also some areas in which things may be 'hard' or 'deadly' encounters but it's likely to be the single encounter that you face.

So what you're saying is that it's

copebot said:
isn't so much related to how it uses the monsters

copebot indeed :M

What about the decision to have the final boss be an ineffective caster while giving the party the assistance of two dragons in that fight? Is that also a factor of "Not Abiding By the CR Guidelines"?

Solasta's encounter design or rather monster placement is atrocious. Not doing some 5E-element right has nothing to do with it.

Yeah it isn't abiding by the CR guidelines because the encounter is hyper trivial if interpreted by the CR guidelines. You're blaming the Dungeon Master's Guide, but it's the DM's fault. The CR Guidelines are the recommendations for how to build encounters based on the CRs of individual monsters, the number of players there are, and the levels of the players along with various adjustments that can be made at the judgment of the DM.

You can't blame the Solasta final encounter on the 5E guidelines because it ignores those recommendations and just does its own thing. There are various issues with said guidelines that people argue about in 5E communities all the time, but if the DM just uses encounters that would be tough for a level 5 party against a level 10 party, that's not the book's fault that the players aren't challenged.

With BG3 you can't even have that kind of discussion because its adaptation of 5E deviates so much that it's a completely different game system; it's 5.Swen D&D.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You're blaming the Dungeon Master's Guide, but it's the DM's fault.

What are you on about. My whole argument is that it's Solasta's DM - i.e. the developers - who failed to make compelling encounters. It has 0 to do with 5E. You're the one saying it's "not related to how it uses the monsters", that it's about "not abiding by the CR guidelines" and that it has to do with how it rations out the adventuring day.

No. Solasta just has bad encounter design. Or rather, much simpler: bad enemy placement and compositioning.

Codex Year of the Donut
5e sucks. I hope that clears things up.
No, it doesn't clear up anything and repeating it over and over just to defend all the stupid bullshit the game does is a coward cop-out.

Just because 5e is (admittedly) a fairly dull system with very little flavor or nuance, this doesn't change that some things that Larian touched made it worse.
5e is garbage

Saravan

Savant
leave the real game development to the GOATs of the CRPG genre, OwlCat games.

Fixed for you. Only game journos and modernfags likes Larian games.

This is the same guy who brofist Tuco's comment about BG3 adjusting creature stats while simultaneously jerking off to Owlcat. I too remember Pathfinder Kingmaker with their very PnP faithful stats to creatures. Something something loving Russian games while berating Larian for the same design choices.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is the same guy who brofist Tuco's comment about BG3 adjusting creature stats while simultaneously jerking off to Owlcat. I too remember Pathfinder Kingmaker with their very PnP faithful stats to creatures. Something something loving Russian games while berating Larian for the same design choices.

Simple. OwlCat some times does bad things changing from P&P, like the sneak attack, some times does good things and some times, astonishing things. Their mythic path is extremely better than P&P MP. Larian in other hands, ALL alterations which they made, resulted in a worst experience. Giving mythic ranks to a creature and a lot of cool abilities is alteration of rules, but is much better than picking a goblin in a game where they can soak dozens of arbalest shots and make then able to soak hundreds. It only serve to make the game less fun, and slow.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Most of Solasta's monsters are in the monstrous manual, just not Soraks.
Solasta's "Soraks" are a thinly-veiled version of the Draconians from the Dragonlance setting, especially the Sivak shape-shifting variant.
DD%20DL%20Draconian%20Sivak.png
DD%20DL%20Draconian%20Bozak.png
DD%20DL%20Draconian%20Aurak.png

Saravan

Savant

Simple. OwlCat some times does bad things changing from P&P, like the sneak attack, some times does good things and some times, astonishing things. Their mythic path is extremely better than P&P MP. Larian in other hands, ALL alterations which they made, resulted in a worst experience. Giving mythic ranks to a creature and a lot of cool abilities is alteration of rules, but is much better than picking a goblin in a game where they can soak dozens of arbalest shots and make then able to soak hundreds. It only serve to make the game less fun, and slow.

Yeah, all alterations. Definitely not a hyperbole. How far up Owlcat's ass do you have to be to not see that half the design choices you cry about BG3 are the same things you praise Pathfinder for. It's alright to prefer one game over the other, but there is some serious cognitive dissonance going on here.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How far up Owlcat's ass do you have to be to not see that half the design choices you cry about BG3 are the same things you praise Pathfinder for. It's alright to prefer one game over the other, but there is some serious cognitive dissonance going on here.

Yep. OwlCat mythic paths allowing huge changes on the story, unique companions, unique ramifications on certain event, and few monsters with that template and Larian rule alterations, all the same /sarcasm

Now seriously. I played DDO as a Pale Master till late epic levels(lv 26), reincarnated and am now at lv 19, in few months, DDO was the game which I played the most in my free time this year. Pale Master is not like on P&P, but is extremely cool non the less. P&P PM don't get the ability to chose which type of undead to turn(vampire,lich, wrath, zombie), don't get the necrotic blast spell like ability, nor unholy avatar becoming able to use negative energy to harm enemy undead while heal himself and his companions. This cool abilities doesn't exist in P&P. I will try to make a medium armored pale master picking some stuff from eldritch knight. Initially, I was planning to make PM first and archamge secondly but changed my mind cuz Beholders and other enemies tends to cast anti magic field and stuff like that and in some long quests, I can ran out of spells. DDO is far less faithful to P&P than BG3. However, I don't care as longs there is cool stuff. BG3 lacks it.

Larian could for example, homebrew more spells and abilities to use the verticality of the map as an advantage. Could give interesting unique psionics powers thanks to the tadpole, a unique high risk high power ability, similar to Slayer form on BG2. Knight of the Chalice 2 has a lot of homebrew stuff too. Sorcerers and Warlocks are vastly different than 3rd edition. You can create crazy stuff like a centaur death knight, a salamander Psionicist,
, miss dark sun? Create a half giant gladiator. There are so many cool stuff in the game.

Thonius

Arcane
Uh, the problem is that DND5 is too god damn basic for CRPG. NO OPTIONS and usual limitations of CRPG, aka even fewer options! Where DM could whip out some homebrew or bend rules a bit, or add interesting interactions you're met with an extremely rigid set of rules of CRPG. And level limit + not all classes implemented ain't helping much here.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Amazing video. I honestly was thinking that the tadpole was wreid due some type of mindflayer experiment. I wish that Larian will bring the dead three back to the canon.

FriendlyMerchant

I really never appreciated how shit divinity 2 was until playing this broken mess. I really wish I never played it at all.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's the Darklands. Don't worry about it. This world encapsulates every superstition the peasants of Medieval Germany had. Besides. Dragons are some thing else entirely. Even the manual says so:
Their blood is so evil. It can melt gold!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom