Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Honestly this seems like the only way for PS4 gen to actually be able to handle the game
Remove most traffic, lower view distance, shitty gfx like AA and reduce the texture and ligthing quality to Low
Maybe then people might be able to run the damn game on a 7/8 year old piece of hardware

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Honestly this seems like the only way for PS4 gen to actually be able to handle the game
Remove most traffic, lower view distance, shitty gfx like AA and reduce the texture and ligthing quality to Low
Maybe then people might be able to run the damn game on a 7/8 year old piece of hardware

Red Dead Redemption 2 runs flawlessly on both by original ps4 and my ps4 pro. So does Ghost of Tsushima. Both are expansive, open world games with vastly superior graphics to CP2077. It's not the hardware.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Then maybe it's an engine problem...

But I'll have to call bullshit on the Ghost of Tsushima claim
The game is aesthetically great sure, but on a technical level it's clearly not "vastly superior" - I would say about the same level

Even for RDR2 the words "vastly superior" is exaggeration - the ligthing system is better and more naturalistic sure, but overall it's not that mind boggling good compared to CP2077

Not to mention none of these games are as "packed" as CP2077

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner

Red Dead Redemption 2 runs flawlessly on both by original ps4 and my ps4 pro. So does Ghost of Tsushima. Both are expansive, open world games with vastly superior graphics to CP2077. It's not the hardware.

REDengine was always bloated and unoptimized. The Witcher 2 was nearly unplayable on the hardware it was released for back in the day. Remember people going quad-sli to enable ubersampling and other stuff? The Witcher 3 was no exception, albeit a bit less impactful as TW2 was because GPUs had increased in performance significantly at the time; in fact, it can still tax modern RTX3000 / RX6000 cards when pushing max settings in certain areas of the game, and that's for a 6 years old game on hardware released 5 and a half years after the game came out.

The saving grace of Cyberpunk is that it supports DLSS, which significantly alleviates the hefty performance requirements on RTX2000 and newer cards. A GTX 1070Ti/1080, which are faster cards than a RTX 2060 in non-DLSS scenarios, have a rougher time running Cyberpunk because they lack DLSS. Had Cyberpunk not supported DLSS, you can bet there would be a lot more people unhappy on PC, as not only they would face the mangled state the game was released at, but they wouldn't be able to play it at all with acceptable performance.

I still don't understand why Cyberpunk is so heavy on the CPU though. No other game I have seen taxes it so much to the point a 16 threads CPU becomes the bare minimum. And anyone can see there isn't a lot going on on that game.

Vatnik Wumao

RDR2 has much lower world density.

^Or at the very least they should have made sure to release the PS5/XSX versions alongside the PS4/XBO ones so that all the hype & attention would be focused on the nextgen versions and the issues with the older versions would simply be ignored or dismissed by platform warriors with "just update ur hardware, peasant" (happened with the ps4pro/xsx).

Choosing not to cut the lastgen versions of the game and then even delaying the next gen version (thereby having it miss a new console generation's launch window) so that all the attention would be focused on the worst performing version of the game was the worst possible choice available to them and yet their execs took it.

Even the decision to put out a Witcher 3 next-gen "remaster" - before a remake of Witcher 1 & 2 for a proper trilogy which would have been easy and certainly cheaper back on the PS4/XBO - sounds misguided.

At the time they did make some noise about being forced to to launch due to pressure from certain shareholders, was there any follow-up on that? Between that, sony's delisting and the hacking it seemed like a concerted effort to buy them out.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Choosing not to cut the lastgen versions of the game and then even delaying the next gen version (thereby having it miss a new console generation's launch window) so that all the attention would be focused on the worst performing version of the game was the worst possible choice available to them and yet their execs took it.
As I've explained before, neither of these was a realistic option. A publicly traded company can can't just "cut" the overwhelming bulk of their target customer base after years of expenses and financial commitments, nor could CDPR afford to further delay their notoriously mismanaged timeline even with the excuse of the epidemic.

The only thing they could've hypothetically done was run a severe technical downgrade across all platforms (including PC, Microsoft and especially Sony wouldn't have accepted a segregated downgrade any more than they would've a staggered release) to fit consoles and rob Cyberpunk 2077 of just about the only thing that's great about it - its visual presentation. So, no, not really.

We can talk plenty about how CDPR got there, but by December 2020 they'd put themselves between a rock and a hard place and their only choice was to launch and face the music.

sony's delisting and the hacking it seemed like a concerted effort to buy them out.
:despair:

I still don't understand why Cyberpunk is so heavy on the CPU though.
This is just speculation on my part, but I suspect a big part is to do with how the game streams content in on the fly, a lot of the decor (traffic, ads, pedestrians) is assembled at runtime. Which adds on to how even basic AI is typically CPU-intensive and general scene density.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Programming skill in AAA devs has been dropping for years. CDPR programmers are now worse then during Witcher3. Why? Good ones were too much white and male for WOKE CDPR

"Everything WOKE turns to shit"

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I can't say it enough: WOKE=incompetency

Marcin Iwinski is 80%WOKE militant vegan
Do NOT expect working and fun game from them
They are literraly unable to replicate success of Witcher3 because culture, people and skill that made that happen is gone from company. That simple

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Programmers who release 80GB first day update, and can't replicate police system from 2004 GTA:San Andreas after 8+ months of release and years of production are BAD. Also executives should be executed at CDPR. They are the worst

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'd rather play game with freedom of PnP Cyberpunk, great art style and GTA:San Andreas graphics, then this high polygone woke shit.

True RPG and living cyberpunk city
simulation >>>>> trannies with cyber horsecock in stunning 4k resolution!!!!

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Morrowind fanboys when their shitty game gets roasted for its brain dead gameplay,
:popamole:

non existent characters
This game wasn't about individual characters. The world was a character itself.

and copy and pasted locations.

Name a game with more unique locations and environments than morrowind.

COPE harder morrowind bitch boy bethesda cant write to save their shitty company their characters are always trash no matter the game.

Gothic 1, Planescape torment, Arx Fatalis, Vtmb, Fallout 1 and 2, Bloodborne etc. If you like giant mushrooms so much Super Mario will blow you mind.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Morrowind fanboys when their shitty game gets roasted for its brain dead gameplay,
:popamole:

non existent characters
This game wasn't about individual characters. The world was a character itself.

and copy and pasted locations.

Name a game with more unique locations and environments than morrowind.

COPE harder morrowind bitch boy bethesda cant write to save their shitty company their characters are always trash no matter the game.

Gothic 1, Planescape torment, Arx Fatalis, Vtmb, Fallout 1 and 2, Bloodborne etc. If you like giant mushrooms so much Super Mario will blow you mind.

This is Cyberpunk, not Morrowind thread. Poland's pride is no longer CDPR. You can take Marcin Iwinski's vegan sausage out of your mouth now

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I heared you can serve Polish military as digital soldier defending CDPR's honor from critism online. Compare Cyberpunk with 18 years old games (it's legal to fuck Morrowind), and laugh at their animations and graphics

Ravielsk

Magister

Nah, this is a engine issue. Cp2077 is not pushing anything that has not been done before. The "open world" nature of the game is nowhere near to the complexity of GTAV/IV or even Saints Row and the visuals are... well besides polygon counts its no more impressive than the Witcher 3. The game is just poorly made and therefore it requires a lot of these drastic "tweaks" to run on older hardware. Besides the game was announced before even PS4Pro was officially announced so them optimizing the game for anything besides the base PS4 is retarded in and off itself.

ADL

Prophet
Everything you said is true but I don't think anyone including CD Projekt had any idea how disappointing that particular generation of console hardware was going to be. Hence The Witcher 3's downgrades and the Bulldozer architecture almost turning AMD into a penny stock. Those consoles sucked even back when they first came out, unlike this generation which is significantly more powerful than the majority of current gaming PCs.

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone that had to develop an open world game like Cyberpunk under that spec sheet. The overwhelming majority succeeded but there were bound to be a couple failures, especially 6-7 years in.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
unlike this generation which is significantly more powerful than the majority of current gaming PCs.

laughing-laugh.gif

ADL

Prophet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom