Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So between this one and the first, which is more worthwhile?

Mortmal

Arcane
The worse is that some of those cocksuckers in the beta, posting ton of screenshots, not pointing fingers at anyone especially, could warn us before we start the game . Hey guys dont build up according mythic paths they are completely broken still. But not they prefer to be smug, aggressive, arrogant and see other codexers get miserable when playing the game .
For the record. I didn't even make it past Chapter 1. I just beat prologue three times. I only watched FriendlyMerchant's stream of late game. It didn't look like he was having fun.

It is fun 1-2 some 3 and 4 chapters , theres lot of great things but equally incredibly bad design choices, like blackwater dungeon, the whole izz place , and treshold fortress. The crusade mechanics is complete shit, there's no way to sugar coat it , it's time consuming, heavily bugged, has no strategic depth and just slowing you down from adventuring but putting it on auto deprives you of ton of events and items . Then chapter 5 kinda ruined completely the fun, exactly like kingmaker last act was at release, an overtuned slog only really manageable if you copy those absurdly optimized melee builds with some dips in monk or mutation warriors , you know the drift. All the kind of builds banned in pathfinder society play. Buff and forget rtwp..

Voids

Augur
So between this one and the first, which is more worthwhile?
I think a lot of the primadonna complaints are a little overblown, but generally I prefer the first one to wrath. This one is a little overwrought and the writing is much worse but I'm enjoying my playthrough. I haven't finished the game yet.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
While presumably retaining your positive view of Kingmaker, no?
You seem to be forgetting something. I not only placed monetary support into Wrath. I also placed my confidence into the product as well. Besides, you're acting as if I've somehow abandoned Wrath or whatever. I'm still going to follow it and see if improvements will be made.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Realizing what he wants is focus and not loose and spread out gameplay I think.
To me it just sounds like he's being contrarian for the sake of it since Wrathfinder is an improvement over Kingmaker from a buildcrafting perspective.
He’s not interested in buildfagginess if said buildfagginess isn’t utilized in an interesting way, unlike in KOTC2 where the AI and battles are interesting and tactical which I doubt there are many in wrath.

Yeah they are so tactical that you literally can't chose your party's positions when combat starts and all your 6-8 characters randomly shuffled in 1-2 rows every time when fight begins. So all enemy melee have direct access access to your wizards.

Wizards who do not know how to cast Mirror Image out of combat because pre-buffing is not tactical.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Yeah they are so tactical that you literally can't chose your party's positions when combat starts
This is false. You can configure party formation. See:
RxlwFyJ.png
It's only in highly specific encounters where formations get shuffled, and that's because enemies spawn on top of you.
>Wizards who do not know how to cast Mirror Image out of combat because pre-buffing is not tactical.
This is false. You can prebuff:
vIHzOqR.png
Can cast the spells during combat too, if you so desire.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
What is the problem with power gaming? Is there any reason to play this thing if it isnt to power game the shit out of it? The first motherfucker that comes talking of "roleplaying" on a game that has a furry in it and half the cast talk like californian girls, I will throw a virtual shoe on his head.

There ought to be a middle ground between faggot walking sim roleplaying and hardcore autismo minmaxing. I don't like having dump stats or 1-class-dips into stuff that thematically doesn't make sense, but that is exactly the way you need to play this on Core it seems.
Are we even playing the same game?

Why would you need dump stats and 1-class-dips? I'm playing on Core without any of that and I'm doing fine. The only problematic encounter so far has been the one with the AIDS-ridden smilodons.

Maybe your definition of problematic is different. Clearly I am not the only person who has noticed the overtuned encounters, they happen even on Standard. You beat every fight in the Gray Garrison on your first try? Gargoyles during the Regill quest? You had no issues with those? I don't believe it.
In the Gray Garrison, I had to reload once against the two babau who patrol the corridor because they critted three times in a row, once against the final minotaur because he killed one of my guys and I couldn't be bothered to resurrect him, and once against the room full of monsters with the big table in the middle because I brainfarted and mistargeted a key spell. I also reloaded during another fight because of a bug, so I don't think it counts. I think that three reloads in an entire dungeon are perfectly fine, especially at relatively low levels where a single bad roll can instantly destroy you. Maybe I had a very strong party, but it was far from optimal (Nenio basically was a deadweight).

I don't think I've dealt with the gargoyles during Regill's quest because I just recruited him and I haven't played any further. So, unless you're talking about the gargoyles you fight in the cave where you recruit him, I can't say anything. And, if you're talking about that encounter, I can't possibly understand what's problematic about it. By that point, you have access to Displacement, Haste, and Archon's Aura, those poor guys don't stand a chance. I ended that fight with everyone but Seelah and Sosiel unscathed.

which build and which chapter...
I play with a Paladin MC and bring with me Seelah (Bard), Sosiel (pure Cleric), Ember (pure Witch), Nenio (Wizard/Loremaster), and Woljif (Rogue/Vivisectionist). Before recruiting Sosiel I had Camellia (pure Shaman). I multiclassed Seelah because I didn't want two Paladins in my party, but her stats are almost identical to those of my MC so everything would be identical with her as a pure Paladin and my MC as a Bard. Woljif is a Vivisectionist because I find the Rogue class a bit boring, but it would work even with him as a pure Rogue or Lann as a pure Zen Archer in his place. I'm still on chapter 2 and, apparently, things get worse in later chapters, but if you people are complaining about the Gray Garrison I can't really trust your opinion on the subject.

Call me retarded but I spent over a dozen tries on some of those fights, even knowing what I was about to go into. Used scrolls of stinking cloud and summons during the Jeslyn fight and STILL had to rely on luck to get through.

And no, this isn't my first rodeo. I know exactly how Owlcat design their encounters from Kingmaker.
What the fuck, dude... a dozen tries? I can wholeheartedly assure you that you were probably doing something wrong. What spells and feats were you relying on in that dungeon? With Nenio's Grease and Glitterdust, Camellia's and Ember's Slumber/Protective Luck hexes, and my MC's Cleave/Cleaving Finish, 95% of the encounters were a joke and even the serious ones weren't even remotely "12 retries" hard.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
To me it just sounds like he's being contrarian for the sake of it since Wrathfinder is an improvement over Kingmaker from a buildcrafting perspective.
He’s not interested in buildfagginess if said buildfagginess isn’t utilized in an interesting way, unlike in KOTC2 where the AI and battles are interesting and tactical which I doubt there are many in wrath.

Yeah they are so tactical that you literally can't chose your party's positions when combat starts and all your 6-8 characters randomly shuffled in 1-2 rows every time when fight begins. So all enemy melee have direct access access to your wizards.

Wizards who do not know how to cast Mirror Image out of combat because pre-buffing is not tactical.
Didn’t know this was an issue or if it’s an issue, will ask Pink Eye. Still besides the point, wrath isn’t tactical in comparison unless I’m missing something.

Well it is possible some of this shite was fixed since my last attempt to play KotC 2. That ended way too early because Pierre added a prologue village but forgot to properly check the trigger for bandit attack that is necessary to get into ch1.

Mortmal

Arcane

Didn’t know this was an issue or if it’s an issue, will ask Pink Eye. Still besides the point, wrath isn’t tactical in comparison unless I’m missing something.

Well it is possible some of this shite was fixed since my last attempt to play KotC 2. That ended way too early because Pierre added a prologue village but forgot to properly check the trigger for bandit attack that is necessary to get into ch1.
you need to rest in the inn and then speak to the guard commander in the tower to trigger it. It's botched i already asked to add it in the conversation.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yeah they are so tactical that you literally can't chose your party's positions when combat starts
RxlwFyJ.png
It's only in highly specific encounters where formations get shuffled, and that's because enemies spawn on top of you.
>Wizards who do not know how to cast Mirror Image out of combat because pre-buffing is not tactical.
vIHzOqR.png

Rather unfortunate however that the game is utter dogshit in nearly every other way. The obsession with this game would be puzzling to me on the Codex if I didn't realize that so many of you are older than Joe Biden. It is basically a browser based token driven game. Roll20 without the fun of multiplayer and the virtual tabletop experience that goes along with it. The perfect game for a 75 year old neckbeard grognard basically. Jagged Alliance 2 is the best game ever made too according to the old guy here (Lilura?) that LARPs as a female... *shrug*

Is it me or are there toons of invisible enemies that you can't detect with See Invisibility? or are they just teleporting (Drezen)?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Rather unfortunate however that the game is utter dogshit in nearly every other way. The obsession with this game would be puzzling to me on the Codex if I didn't realize that so many of you are older than Joe Biden. It is basically a browser based token driven game. Roll20 without the fun of multiplayer and the virtual tabletop experience that goes along with it.
K'. That is a very lousy opinion to have.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
RxlwFyJ.png
vIHzOqR.png

Rather unfortunate however that the game is utter dogshit in nearly every other way. The obsession with this game would be puzzling to me on the Codex if I didn't realize that so many of you are older than Joe Biden. It is basically a browser based token driven game. Roll20 without the fun of multiplayer and the virtual tabletop experience that goes along with it. The perfect game for a 75 year old neckbeard grognard basically. Jagged Alliance 2 is the best game ever made too according to the old guy here (Lilura?) that LARPs as a female... *shrug*
I thought everyone on here was a 75 year old grognard who loves those types of games ?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There has to be a better way of organizing the abilities. I have combat maneuvers, passives, spells, and other stuff all jumbled up in there.
I want psionics, I press x - you get the idea. There's a dedicated UI for each thing. Where else in Wrath of the Righteous, it's all thrown in one place. Forcing me to search through each thing. Then put it on the hotbar. Then hope I remember it later.
They are "jumblled up", because a player is supposed to look at them, decide what is important for any particular character, then drag and drop them on the hotbar and / or on the action bar on the right. And then all the shortcuts for this particular actions are available. And even better: if the most freauently used actions for every character are assigned to the same slots on the panels, then the same keyboard shortcut uses this most frequently used option for every character whatever character it is.

I very much prefer this approach to something that was prepared for me by a UI designer. Usually, they do not understand what I want. So cudos to Owlcat Games to not even trying.

I cannot comment the rest, because it looks like the matter of tastes to me. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Lann. I like ya. I really do. But:
They are "jumblled up", because a player is supposed to look at them, decide what is important for any particular character, then drag and drop them on the hotbar and / or on the action bar on the right. And then all the shortcuts for this particular actions are available. And even batter: if the most freauently used actions for every character are assigned to the same slots on the panels, then the same keyboard shortcut uses this most frequently used option for every character whatever character it is.
You're excusing bad UI design. Speaking of which. This gives me an opportunity to revisit Chalice 2 yet again. Pierre implemented a quickbar feature:
Nz6FkJK.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom