Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Shadenuat

Arcane
The setting is standing out,the mystery is pretty good too. What happened to the rest of the world,what to do about the shitty storm,also visions ? Clearly the game have some take on spirituality and divinity
for first honemoon 1.4 chapters yes, but then you die under routine.

needs less bunkers and cheap horror and factions, and more contemplation.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The setting is standing out,the mystery is pretty good too. What happened to the rest of the world,what to do about the shitty storm,also visions ? Clearly the game have some take on spirituality and divinity
for first honemoon 1.4 chapters yes, but then you die under routine.

Well it is a game mate,can't be all deep and reflection and intellectual randomness. It have to sell some shit. I will take your words for it,this days are pretty shit and i haven't had the time to play it,still just a level 10 :).

And yeah,stalker is pretty good fill,tho a bit too high concept for most people. But compared to that,fallout is total garbage on that front lol.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
or first honemoon 1.4 chapters yes, but then you die under routine.

Yeah, that why my first impression was so good. Truly felt like a sci-fi story in the vein of Stalker/Roadside Picnic/Annihilation, but then after the tutorial besides the broken mechanics a really strong deja-vu hit me. Powerplant failing, raiders, weird cult etc. Was really hoping that it would retain the world you get introduced to in the beginning. To be fair I knew some bad event would unfold, but I didn't expect it to turn into Fallout that strong.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
STOP MAKING FALLOUT
Yes and no. Fallout 1 had the Brotherhood of Steel based on the story in Canticle for Leibowitz, someone decided they must have a monk army with power armors focused on preserving technology, then you have the Master that wanted to create a new race better prepared to deal with the post apocalyptic world.

Then you had the Ceasar's Legion, a loose coalition of tribals that had to pass through a brutal process of losing their identities and into merging into what was basically ISIS, Ceasar believed the only society viable for that world was one that was brutal and with a purpose, maybe in time it might change into something better but the NCR was completely wrong into trying to impose something the post apocalyptic society wasnt in a condition to support and the cracks and internal contradictions would doom it.

It is interesting, that while Ceasar Legion is alot different from the Brotherhood of Steel and the Master mutants, all of them feel "Fallouty" because Fallout was in party its 50's retrofuturism and in part thinking about the human condition and a deep pessimism about it, after all on Fallout 1 you are expelled from the very Vault you saved, as history seems to repeat on endless cycles with the same follies being repeated over and over again. Obsidian could had been lazy and just copy pasted on a similar Bethesda way but they had an original faction that feel as Fallouty as the Brotherhood of Steel.

There are two ways of doing Fallout, undertanding Fallout and making a new Fallout game and copying Fallout like Bethesda did, same factions completely butchered from their original purpose. I want developers to try to understand Fallout instead of just copying it. It seems that by what you described, they just copied the "cool" stuff while the really important setting work was secondary.

So, there is no problem into trying to make a new Fallout inspired game but you need to know what is a Fallout game first.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I agree with mostly everything posters above have said.
And then i run into a random encounter with a broken car and find the Moebius strip :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
So, there is no problem into trying to make a new Fallout inspired game but you need to know what is a Fallout game first
I am sure all these developers thought the same way. Especially true for Russians, who would fight each other over what Fallout means. Why even ask that question? Interplay answered it.

When you chain cast the Derivative Spell on Thing, Thing loses power, it's as simple as that. The era of remakes sucks.

There is milliard sci fi settings and books, and enough post apoc books to make infinite amount of post apoc games. Enough with unhealthy obsessions and trying to milk nostalgia.

The world of Encased after the Storm could have been anything. You could have walked out of that cave and stand on a cliff looking down on giant ant megapolis, or infinite sea of white sands with settlements all built around Artifacts, or right into the flat of drunk soviet movie philosoraptor.

Instead you meet raiders and then arrive into Junktown. TV Dinner served.

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The last 2 pages of this thread is why I read Codex TBH. Very good and thoughtful discussions about what makes a great game. Theorycrafting, game design thoughts, genre expectations, genre bending expectations, etc. Good stuff boyos... :salute:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How to get onto Martin Kingsley Office in Magellan station? the stupid Blad' of secretary says my char is not even citizen (he took the test took him four times to pass cause skipping the text lol) and that her Boss is very busy... I can just brake the lock but I RP as black so.. Also was nice to meet people you helped on Concord one of them even inform you that you got KIA (explains lack of any welcoming comitee) and where to find people you arrived at Concord... would be fun to check what happens if you put him onto orange suit instead. Game still feels like EA btw its as polished as Trutograd was in 0.9 or even less.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is there any way to:

• Change camera zoom behavior such that it is fine increments, rather than these coarse pre-set levels?
  • Change WASD camera panning behavior to remove the momentum/inertia that makes it impossible to precisely set camera position?
Why games do you not let you simply control the camera the way you wish to, I will never understand. Colony Ship does it right, at least.

Codex Year of the Donut
Not surprised by people saying it starts to fall apart near the end, from what I've read they changed the game a lot during its early access and probably didn't spend enough time polishing the latter half of it. Guess I'll wait a year before trying it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How to get onto Martin Kingsley Office in Magellan station?
Go to the emulator project lab from junkyard first.

Why? It makes no sense for character who was originally assigned to Magellan and completed very important mission for its director to go and visit some Junk-town first. They don't even make excuse like you cant enter the base cause some storm bullshit and need to wait in some village to clear it up you can go to Magellan first.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
How to get onto Martin Kingsley Office in Magellan station? the stupid Blad' of secretary says my char is not even citizen (he took the test took him four times to pass cause skipping the text lol) and that her Boss is very busy... I can just brake the lock but I RP as black so.. Also was nice to meet people you helped on Concord one of them even inform you that you got KIA (explains lack of any welcoming comitee) and where to find people you arrived at Concord... would be fun to check what happens if you put him onto orange suit instead. Game still feels like EA btw its as polished as Trutograd was in 0.9 or even less.

To visit Kingsley you got to start working for the Emulator (in Junktown, main quest).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is a snooze-fest of the highest degree. I almost lost it in Magellan's Residential quarters ...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Even in Encased's post-apo women are project leaders while men are whores ...
647272CC681DDCF87DE4BA9B1117DDA922128C8A

jungl

Augur
I got past the prologue and wholly molly is the game boring. Remember expedition vikings and clicking on barrels for loot? Encased is that multiplied by 3. I'm playing as a retarded character and the CYOA vibes where you can get killed being retarded were fun but everything else is forgettable.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Well, finished it.
It was fun, didn't have any kind of bug and progressivism wasn't forced down my throat like many some other games...
I'm not good at combat, at normal didn't look too hard,complicated or boring.
It's not too long fortunately ptherwise it would have become boring after a while (travelling the map is too damn slow)
untill i randomly found some sort of train/truck you get to enalbe after some easy puzzle
C&C is there, but limited to the usual stuff about factions.

Endings:

I manage to see a few of them:
1-You can disable maelstrom, life goes on inside the dome depending on what you did with the factions (no mentions about fertility though, so i guess thing still go to shit after a while)
2-You can destroy all life inside the dome
3-You can turn it into a bridge outside the dome (and find that things seems to have gone to shit outside too)
4-You can use it to make the weather better and enable fertility again (the hippy endings), life goes on, the dome become greener, but then overpopulation kick in and things go to shit
5-You can help the pacifist anarco-libertarian faction by making maelstrom weaker but more pervasive (Picnic), life goes on, but things still go to shit (remember, still no fertility)
6-You can turn it into a tool for the scientists, life goes on, scientist use it to study possible cures for fertility and how to exit the dome

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Worth to pick up a mega giga enhanced totally finished version years after.

Only if devs decide to polish things,to fix things, to add things, to change things.
Otherwise it will be like that other Russian game - the ove where you are on some colony ship? Forget it's name. Where only hungry connosiers are brave enough to take a bite of it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Prologue is everything pre-Maelstrom.

Hm...

Could you get to a first level of first station? Like, there are crates - mean you could access them?
I don't know how I could do that.
Also, every person on first level inside for some reason carry a key to armory - what?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even in Encased's post-apo women are project leaders while men are whores ...
647272CC681DDCF87DE4BA9B1117DDA922128C8A

"I-I'm already having a good time." :lol:

Indirect dialogue and they still describe your only negative response as that of a timid loser. Couldn't even be a neutral "Say you're not interested and leave."

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, how to remove beam from room of Roadside Picnic cafe?
I mean, I can target it with TILIPARTATIOn!11 but notthing happen.

Where is Repait ability? It marked as ACTIVE but I can't find it and put at ability/item bar/belt.

What affect that random stash you need Luck to survive I posted earlier - I have fouvd there empty bottle, 100$ and relic.
Don't you twll me it's your skill that affect it.

Am I rigth you could only access the door in room with Terehova (gun seller) if you start with Black Wing?

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Am I rigth you could only access the door in room with Terehova (gun seller) if you start with Black Wing?

I think so, I was never able to get in with White Wing start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom