Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gamingbolt.com/elex-2-interview-side-quests-choices-combat-and-more

ELEX 2 Interview – Side Quests, Choices, Combat, and More
Creative director Björn Pankratz and game designer Jennifer Pankratz speal with GamingBolt about Piranha Bytes' upcoming action RPG.

elex-2-cover-image.jpg

Piranha Bytes’ 2017 action RPG ELEX wasn’t a game without its issues, but there’s no shortage of people out there who had a great time with what it had on offer. With its upcoming sequel ELEX 2, the developer has the opportunity to expand on all of its best ideas and make necessary changes where there was room for improvement, and as such, deliver a much more engaging experience. To find out how ELEX 2 is aiming to do that and all the new things it’s bringing to the table, we recently sent across some of our questions about the game to its developers. Below, you can read our interview with creative director Björn Pankratz and game designer Jennifer Pankratz.

The first ELEX is definitely a bit of a cult classic, in that even though the game had some issues, there are a lot of people who enjoyed it thoroughly. With ELEX 2, what are the biggest ways you’ve looked to improve upon the first game. At the same time, what aspects of the first game did you decide to bring over as is, or with minimal changes?

The ability to fly is the new feature, everyone will notice. And the increased flying possibilities have a strong impact on the game world – as in ELEX 2 the whole world is simulated, we had to make sure, even if the players are reaching areas where they are not supposed to be (yet), the world and the people in it react to that in a believable way. Also directly tied to this feature is the aerial combat. This includes melee and range combat in the air and of course it comes with specifically designed enemies. Although this will only become available while you play and not from the very beginning, flying will become an important part of your adventures in ELEX 2.

We’ve seen that there is no need to make the world bigger than it was in ELEX but to put even more interesting stuff into it, to increase the density of content. Also, we’ve improved the pacing. There is now a well-guided central thread you can follow to experience the storyline for those players who asked for more guidance and who want to follow the main story. On the other hand, we still only offer it – the players don’t have to follow it but can still wander around Magalan and explore the world as they like. Another learning was to offer more and more detailed difficulty settings, to make all players able to play the game as they like it best. ELEX 2 will be a typical Piranha Bytes game.

Choice and consequence mechanics are clearly going to play an important role in the game, but exactly how much freedom will they offer to players? How radically will the story shift and react to these choices?

The world reacts heavily to the player’s choices, even entire battles are happening or not happening because of the what the player did. Some consequences will be happening directly, some much much later, spanning over different acts. So certain choices in one act will affect your story in another one. The choice of the faction you join is an important part of that experience, too. It works just as in ELEX – but we even improved and expanded it. It’s more complex and dense, with more consequences and bigger impacts and more surprises in different storylines. Storylines are even longer than they used to be and will have many “oh!” moments.

What are the biggest improvements being made to the combat in ELEX 2?

We wanted to improve, and we reacted to the player feedback. So, we have put a lot of effort into the new combat system, to make it feel more dynamic and react directly to the players’ input. It is much more responsive now, than in ELEX. We have gone through several iterations, have made a lot of tests to bring it to the next level. One of the strengths of the combat system is the flexibility – melee or magic, range or reinforcements. You can lure any enemy into a bunch of guards around the corner or fight them from above or use quick attacks & dodge. There are always many different ways to overcome an enemy. Our goal was, to offer the players an entertaining experience and not to punish them for not reacting in exactly the right way.

What can players expect from ELEX 2’s side quests? Will they tie into the main story in significant ways?

We have more characters in the game, we have more dialogues, more quests and overall more content – but all in a game world of similar size. The players will have the feeling that there is much more to do, just because there is indeed much more to do. We’ve doubled the number of companion quests and yes, this has some impact on the main story – especially, what faction you join, what companions you choose etc. – but of course the main story arc will happen in the main story quests.

Roughly how long will an average playthrough of ELEX 2 be?

That’s always a tricky question. We had players who played ELEX for 300 hours – and players who finished it in 30 hours. ELEX 2 has even more content now, so 60 hours is absolutely realistic. Of course, this depends heavily on the type of player – some people are enjoying to explore every single part of the world, some only want to follow the main story.

Do you have any plans to launch the game for the Switch?

No.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Settlement Building? If that is the case, PB must have taken notes from Todd's Codex of premium game design.

I mean origin is already somewhat like that, but it ended up very barenone and tacked on, but it does serve better purpose than fallout 4'a base building.

Elex's origin serve as a hub for merchants and companions. It has unique quests and characters that tie a little with the MQ (repairing your airplane) but nonetheless it felt pretty barebones. I suspect they planned it as tertiary faction that's not tied to the main 3, but they lack time and resources to fully implement it so it ended up very barebone. If elex 2 were to expand that concept of tertiary faction and they are able to tie it more into the main story, it will be great.

BruceVC

Magister
ELEX 2 is looking great, I like the fact they have increased the length of the game and doubled the companion quests
That was one minor criticism I had with EXEX 1, I found some of the companion quests lacking in depth....and it would be nice to see some hotter female Romance arcs but thats just a nice to have and not a serious expectation. I found the character models to look similar so some diversity would be nice :cool:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've not even gotten around to trying the first Elex, looks like I'll have to bump it up in the list. I only recently bought the first Risen game and haven't tried it yet, either.

BruceVC

Magister
I've not even gotten around to trying the first Elex, looks like I'll have to bump it up in the list. I only recently bought the first Risen game and haven't tried it yet, either.
You should start with the Gothic games if you havent played them yet and then move onto Risen....they all great and entertaining games and you will become familiar with the PB design of their RPG

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You should start with the Gothic games if you havent played them yet and then move onto Risen....they all great and entertaining games and you will become familiar with the PB design of their RPG
Thank you very much for the advice, yes that is precisely what I was beginning to do after having heard about Gothic II for so many years.

So earlier this summer what I did was purchase Gothic and Gothic II, Risen and Elex and intended to at least try them out to see if they're for me. Mostly I play older games like the Wizardry series, Wasteland, Daggerfall, the Gold Box games and of course I cut my teeth on a very small number of those games but primarily on the later '90s RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate but I do like to branch out and try many different kinds of RPGs, and even games that don't necessarily embrace that style of gameplay like the Stalker series.

Morrowind is in my top 10 games of all time and it is one of the rare exceptions to the 2D sprite animated games involving far more complicated combat mechanics that are my main interest, and the Gothic series has been in my peripheral view for over a decade but for whatever reasons I just never got around to it. After buying them I set about getting them set up on my gaming laptop, I recall having to install a patch for Gothic II in order to get it to even load properly but it was back in June or thereabouts and I don't recall which one it was off hand. I ended up starting with Gothic II with the notion that I'd just play it for a bit to get a feel for it and then start over with the first game, but I ended up playing for under an hour and got distracted with something and haven't returned yet.

From what I experienced it seemed like something I could definitely get into, only that I was confused by the first-person view (which I got the impression is a feature but that the game is not designed around being played within it?) and that the controls were somewhat awkward for me. Nothing terribly off-putting and I remain interested, especially because of how much passion the games appear to instill in so many people. I suppose I ought to give it another shot and really sink some time into it.. perhaps I'll do just that this coming weekend, and put off the later Risen and Elex games until I familiarize myself with their design, as you suggest.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Thank you very much for the advice, yes that is precisely what I was beginning to do after having heard about Gothic II for so many years.

So earlier this summer what I did was purchase Gothic and Gothic II, Risen and Elex and intended to at least try them out to see if they're for me. Mostly I play older games like the Wizardry series, Wasteland, Daggerfall, the Gold Box games and of course I cut my teeth on a very small number of those games but primarily on the later '90s RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate but I do like to branch out and try many different kinds of RPGs, and even games that don't necessarily embrace that style of gameplay like the Stalker series.

Morrowind is in my top 10 games of all time and it is one of the rare exceptions to the 2D sprite animated games involving far more complicated combat mechanics that are my main interest, and the Gothic series has been in my peripheral view for over a decade but for whatever reasons I just never got around to it. After buying them I set about getting them set up on my gaming laptop, I recall having to install a patch for Gothic II in order to get it to even load properly but it was back in June or thereabouts and I don't recall which one it was off hand. I ended up starting with Gothic II with the notion that I'd just play it for a bit to get a feel for it and then start over with the first game, but I ended up playing for under an hour and got distracted with something and haven't returned yet.

From what I experienced it seemed like something I could definitely get into, only that I was confused by the first-person view (which I got the impression is a feature but that the game is not designed around being played within it?) and that the controls were somewhat awkward for me. Nothing terribly off-putting and I remain interested, especially because of how much passion the games appear to instill in so many people. I suppose I ought to give it another shot and really sink some time into it.. perhaps I'll do just that this coming weekend, and put off the later Risen and Elex games until I familiarize myself with their design, as you suggest.

There's no reason to be alive if you don't play Gothic.

BruceVC

Magister

Its interesting because I have been on almost the opposite RPG journey to you, I only invested in my first real gaming rig in 2007 and the first RPG I ever played on it was Morrowind and Gothic 3. I recently replayed Morrowind using the Nexus Vortex mod manager, I love using Mods in games especially Elder Scroll games and I agree Morrowind is in my top 10 list

But I have never played Wizardry, M&M or the Ultima series except for Ulitma 8 and Ultima Online which I thoroughly enjoyed but I intend to play all these older RPG. Like you I enjoy branching out and trying different RPG

But all the PB games are similar to Elder Scrolls in the sense they offer Sandbox and open world design and also enemies that will annilliate you until you get to the right level, no level scaling that I can recall which I prefer. And their are always factions which you eventually have to align with one but you can do multiple quests from all the factions until a certain point

But for me ELEX 1 really had the the best components of everything PB had learnt through the years but yes, give Gothic and Risen a go before ELEX just so you can experience the design journey :cool:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Its interesting because I have been on almost the opposite RPG journey to you, I only invested in my first real gaming rig in 2007 and the first RPG I ever played on it was Morrowind and Gothic 3. I recently replayed Morrowind using the Nexus Vortex mod manager, I love using Mods in games especially Elder Scroll games and I agree Morrowind is in my top 10 list

But I have never played Wizardry, M&M or the Ultima series except for Ulitma 8 and Ultima Online which I thoroughly enjoyed but I intend to play all these older RPG. Like you I enjoy branching out and trying different RPG

But all the PB games are similar to Elder Scrolls in the sense they offer Sandbox and open world design and also enemies that will annilliate you until you get to the right level, no level scaling that I can recall which I prefer. And their are always factions which you eventually have to align with one but you can do multiple quests from all the factions until a certain point

But for me ELEX 1 really had the the best components of everything PB had learnt through the years but yes, give Gothic and Risen a go before ELEX just so you can experience the design journey :cool:
Awesome! Yea I look forward to discovering these series that so many people are so fond of, I want to see for myself what the attraction is.

Like you I also prefer games that do not have level scaling and are genuinely open to where profound difficulty can be encountered by exploring aimlessly. I didn't have a PC in my family until I was about 10 which would have been in 1995, and the only games I can recall having were Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and a few platform titles which I can see if I close my eyes but have long since forgotten the titles, and they were all copied 3.5 floppies from the neighbor who helped my mother set the computer up. But I had a few friends with better PCs, AOL internet access and CD drives and got to experience some of those classic titles at their homes but not until I was 15 or so did I get to experience them on my own (again with burned copies, lol).

As an adult I've always had PCs because my wife likes to build them, but they are mostly used by my children and I would only occasionally go on binges to replay games like Morrowind and Fallout and the many mods that have since been released. But earlier this year I went ahead and dropped more money on a single item than I've ever done for myself and bought a monstrously powerful gaming laptop, just so that I can play DOS games from 1990 haha. But it's "my" computer, and devoted 100% to games, I refuse to put anything non-gaming related on it.

I have some modern games of course, like Arma 3, Pathfinder Kingmaker, all of the Witcher games, a few others on an SSD but the internal SSD I have loaded up with hundreds of older RPGs and emulators for Amiga and Apple II, Atari ST, &c. It is glorious and a major reason why I finally decided to become a member and start posting here, and wanted to become a patron because this site more than any other has advised me countless times on modding, how to get games working on modern systems, understanding the arcane minutiae of complicated games that I'm not overly familiar with, and not to mention introduced me to God alone knows how many awesome games that I'd not even heard of, with Grimoire being the one that pushed my enthusiasm over the edge and got me to actively post.

I of course read the top 70 and the newer list and saw how much Gothic is adored and it is a big part of the reason why I bought the games, because otherwise I'd only hear about it in passing in other, more focused communities. Same with Risen and Elex, and I just had to buy my own copies to check them out, but got caught up in Grimoire and getting back into Wizardry as a result, which these days is awesome because of the many tools available from auto-mapping programs to things like Cosmic Forge.

By the way I just wanted to point out in passing that I highly, and I mean very highly, recommend that you switch to MO2 (Mod Organizer) for Morrowind modding, it takes more effort to learn but is by far the best modding system for that game and for the others it supports. You run the game through instances, each using a virtual folder system, so that your vanilla install is competelley untouched and you can have multiple instances of variously modded versions of the same game. I learned the hard way when I accidentally installed multiple texture packs that were overwriting each other and had to go through thousands of files by hand to remove duplicates and triplicates, it was an entire weekend affair. Since switching to MO2 I've never looked back.

BruceVC

Magister

Awesome! Yea I look forward to discovering these series that so many people are so fond of, I want to see for myself what the attraction is.

Like you I also prefer games that do not have level scaling and are genuinely open to where profound difficulty can be encountered by exploring aimlessly. I didn't have a PC in my family until I was about 10 which would have been in 1995, and the only games I can recall having were Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and a few platform titles which I can see if I close my eyes but have long since forgotten the titles, and they were all copied 3.5 floppies from the neighbor who helped my mother set the computer up. But I had a few friends with better PCs, AOL internet access and CD drives and got to experience some of those classic titles at their homes but not until I was 15 or so did I get to experience them on my own (again with burned copies, lol).

As an adult I've always had PCs because my wife likes to build them, but they are mostly used by my children and I would only occasionally go on binges to replay games like Morrowind and Fallout and the many mods that have since been released. But earlier this year I went ahead and dropped more money on a single item than I've ever done for myself and bought a monstrously powerful gaming laptop, just so that I can play DOS games from 1990 haha. But it's "my" computer, and devoted 100% to games, I refuse to put anything non-gaming related on it.

I have some modern games of course, like Arma 3, Pathfinder Kingmaker, all of the Witcher games, a few others on an SSD but the internal SSD I have loaded up with hundreds of older RPGs and emulators for Amiga and Apple II, Atari ST, &c. It is glorious and a major reason why I finally decided to become a member and start posting here, and wanted to become a patron because this site more than any other has advised me countless times on modding, how to get games working on modern systems, understanding the arcane minutiae of complicated games that I'm not overly familiar with, and not to mention introduced me to God alone knows how many awesome games that I'd not even heard of, with Grimoire being the one that pushed my enthusiasm over the edge and got me to actively post.

I of course read the top 70 and the newer list and saw how much Gothic is adored and it is a big part of the reason why I bought the games, because otherwise I'd only hear about it in passing in other, more focused communities. Same with Risen and Elex, and I just had to buy my own copies to check them out, but got caught up in Grimoire and getting back into Wizardry as a result, which these days is awesome because of the many tools available from auto-mapping programs to things like Cosmic Forge.

By the way I just wanted to point out in passing that I highly, and I mean very highly, recommend that you switch to MO2 (Mod Organizer) for Morrowind modding, it takes more effort to learn but is by far the best modding system for that game and for the others it supports. You run the game through instances, each using a virtual folder system, so that your vanilla install is competelley untouched and you can have multiple instances of variously modded versions of the same game. I learned the hard way when I accidentally installed multiple texture packs that were overwriting each other and had to go through thousands of files by hand to remove duplicates and triplicates, it was an entire weekend affair. Since switching to MO2 I've never looked back.

Great post and thanks for going into details, I created an account on Codex in 2011 but I never posted on the forums until a few weeks ago, I do post on other forums like Obsidian. I have decided to become active on Codex because of how busy it is and also the depth of knowledge from gamers and experience people have in games like the older games that you played like Wizardry. I enjoy the political and non-gaming discussions but my primary interest on these forums is gaming

Thanks for the advice on MO2 and I may pick your brain later when I play Wizardry :cool:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Great post and thanks for going into details, I created an account on Codex in 2011 but I never posted on the forums until a few weeks ago, I do post on other forums like Obsidian. I have decided to become active on Codex because of how busy it is and also the depth of knowledge from gamers and experience people have in games like the older games that you played like Wizardry. I enjoy the political and non-gaming discussions but my primary interest on these forums is gaming

Thanks for the advice on MO2 and I may pick your brain later when I play Wizardry :cool:
Thank you very much, and I look forward to discussing Wizardry with you in the future!

I have no where near the level of knowledge that some people here have but I can certainly discuss most aspects of it in detail. I like the social and political discussions here too because the free thinking and speaking attitude is increasingly rare and exceedingly worth praising, but I'm mostly interested in the games like you are. I was up until after 02:00 this morning talking with my wife about the cultural decline and lack of tradition, social alienation, homogenized appeals to cultural ameliorating that utterly erase social values, degeneracy and near-sighted self-righteous exceptionalism, &c so I already am discussing these issues at length in real life, for which no doubt I'm fortunate. Only here do I find the level of interest in RPGs that matches my own and that is mainly all I'm particularly interested in as far as online discussions go. But it is certainly entertaining, I just no longer maintain an urge to engage in that kind of thing like I used to; these days I mostly just read and keep to myself.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to discussing Wizardry with you in the future!

I have no where near the level of knowledge that some people here have but I can certainly discuss most aspects of it in detail. I like the social and political discussions here too because the free thinking and speaking attitude is increasingly rare and exceedingly worth praising, but I'm mostly interested in the games like you are. I was up until after 02:00 this morning talking with my wife about the cultural decline and lack of tradition, social alienation, homogenized appeals to cultural ameliorating that utterly erase social values, degeneracy and near-sighted self-righteous exceptionalism, &c so I already am discussing these issues at length in real life, for which no doubt I'm fortunate. Only here do I find the level of interest in RPGs that matches my own and that is mainly all I'm particularly interested in as far as online discussions go. But it is certainly entertaining, I just no longer maintain an urge to engage in that kind of thing like I used to; these days I mostly just read and keep to myself.

this has got to be trolling, right? whose alt are you?

BruceVC

Magister

this has got to be trolling, right? whose alt are you?
Sincere question but why would you think this post is trolling? I am new to Codex so I like to understand members views
Because for me this is an genuine post and I dont see how it is trolling?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My post was genuine, I'm not sure either why it would be misconstrued as otherwise but its alright. Usually my writing is verbose and magniloquent which is often mocked as pretentious or misunderstood to be disingenuous, which is to be expected, but in this thread I was writing directly.

Anyhow, last night I realized that in fact I never did purchase Elex, it was only the first two Gothic games and the first Risen game that I bought because they weren't so expensive, and Elex is sitting in my wantlist. However, just this morning I saw that on GOG they are having a sale on sci-fi RPGs and Elex is being offered at $9.99 which seems to be a significant deal worth jumping on, so I am going to get it over the coming weekend. It shows that it will be available at that price until Sunday. They also have the three more recent Shadowrun games for pocket change; I own them already on Steam but have been recreating my library on GOG whenever there is a good sale on the games I either must have or am very interested in (because my kids use Steam, so I use GOG on my laptop and don't have to worry about asking them to stop playing a game).

I wish there was a PC version of the SNES Shadowrun game, that was actually one of the first RPGs I played as a child. I've not played the newer Shadowrun games either; my wife has and told me she thinks I'd like them, and sometime last year I started a character on one of them but was turned off by the scripted combat encounter presentation and stopped playing without giving it a real chance. I'll have to retry them sometime but I'm far more interested in discovering Gothic and Elex at the moment.

BruceVC

Magister
My post was genuine, I'm not sure either why it would be misconstrued as otherwise but its alright. Usually my writing is verbose and magniloquent which is often mocked as pretentious or misunderstood to be disingenuous, which is to be expected, but in this thread I was writing directly.

Anyhow, last night I realized that in fact I never did purchase Elex, it was only the first two Gothic games and the first Risen game that I bought because they weren't so expensive, and Elex is sitting in my wantlist. However, just this morning I saw that on GOG they are having a sale on sci-fi RPGs and Elex is being offered at $9.99 which seems to be a significant deal worth jumping on, so I am going to get it over the coming weekend. It shows that it will be available at that price until Sunday. They also have the three more recent Shadowrun games for pocket change; I own them already on Steam but have been recreating my library on GOG whenever there is a good sale on the games I either must have or am very interested in (because my kids use Steam, so I use GOG on my laptop and don't have to worry about asking them to stop playing a game).

I wish there was a PC version of the SNES Shadowrun game, that was actually one of the first RPGs I played as a child. I've not played the newer Shadowrun games either; my wife has and told me she thinks I'd like them, and sometime last year I started a character on one of them but was turned off by the scripted combat encounter presentation and stopped playing without giving it a real chance. I'll have to retry them sometime but I'm far more interested in discovering Gothic and Elex at the moment.

Your posts come across as sincere and interesting. Through the years of debates on gaming forums I sometimes get accused of being a troll and that use to surprise me that a small number of people think I would be active on any forum and post links, share my opinion and engage about games I enjoy yet somehow I am trolling?

IMO this view comes from people who have become jaded and cynical so when you say " Codex is a place where I can have interesting discussions " they are unintentionally assuming their experience must be same as everyone elses which means it must be a negative one as far as interesting debates go. Sure their will always be members on any forum that dont appreciate or want a different view and prefer an echo chamber but I dont generally engage with people like that

I did debating at school and I always loved it. And the whole point of a debate is engaging with people who have a different view to you.....their would be no point to debating and we wouldnt learn anything new if we all had the same opinion. I am happy to debate any topic like religion, human rights, Trump, politics, war on terror, free market principles etc. We can debate any topic as long as people dont start insulting other people or using derogatory comments during the debate but as I mentioned I dont engage normally with people like that ....you know the old maxim " we can agree to disagree" on topics. And this doesnt mean despite possible political differences we cant always discuss games and RPG

And this is absolutely what I believe and always will....and no Im not trolling :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom