Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
I'd like to add, as gay as taking a level in Monk is (and, let's face it, it's one of the gayest shit on earth) wtf is all the fuss about it? It's an easily forgettable sin, considering how long a build takes to flourish. And if one likes to play certain builds at certain difficulty levels, it's more or less a must.
I certainly understand the jokes and the memes and we should all be good sports about it.
Sometimes though, I'm under the impression that someone is really butthurt about it. Just fucking play the fricking game how you want to, lower the diff or brute force through it or simply prove us all wrong, what's the problem?

I should stop yelling at clouds.

I think the frustration is the retarded behaviour you see in many threads (many outside the Dex as well) where people insist you take a monk dip on every martial, regardless of whether it's at all fitting to the character fantasy.

I don't think anyone cares outside that context what is done with characters, it's more just the insistence that everyone makes munchkin-esque dips that don't fit.
InEffect builds for unfair and doesn't pretend he isn't minmaxing. There is discalimers on literally every page of his guide. The fact that people play the game on Core while copying his unfair builds instead of lowering the difficulty and playing whatever they want is their issue. Who cares.

Play whatever you want wont work to finish the game however even on normal , not in wotr. First 3 chapters are ok , but end game is clearly built for people who did the monk dip, but know what they are doing. Else it will be F5 F8 all the time.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
ScaledFist(1)/Paladin(2), every time. I dislike it because its bad for build variety.

Mine is Trad monk 1 and the benefits of getting those two pally levels would be outshadowed by the loss of sweet drugs from vivi. See? Variety! Spice of life! :P

Jokes aside I get the point Tacgnol is trying to make. I'd never allow my current main at my pnp table simply because I'd reckon no player I know could ever devise a background story concise, sufficient and interesting enough to be integrated into the bigger chronicle (that, I remind everyone, should also justify everyone else's PCs) that'd explain such a mixture of classes. Since this is a fucking SP game and the RP is all in my head*, I easily ignore all that to have fun with a system that, as I said before I know pretty well. In order to have fun I need to try and break it, otherwise it's a yawn fest, I need to chase bigger and bigger numbers to make things interesting, but that's what my brain needs.

edit*: and for all the Italians reading this or for anyone capable of reading Italian, know that, in my head, Bismuth, the Dino you get from the statuette, is actually called Capadimuro

Last edited:

panda

Savant
With ability to boost it for another +48 from few other items
Care to share? I'm curious what I've missed.
Casual metamagic rod(i took feat though) gives you +2 per dice and forget about another 24, got brainfart there. There is robe that gives +2 dmg, but for each dice of elemental damage received during previous turn. For some reason i thought it is +2 per dice too and just for a fact of receiving dmg. Aaand I tested and it doesn't seems like that robe works at all :lol:, or at least it won't take friendly fire into account.

Mortmal

Arcane
ScaledFist(1)/Paladin(2), every time. I dislike it because its bad for build variety.

Mine is Trad monk 1 and the benefits of getting those two pally levels would be outshadowed by the loss of sweet drugs from vivi. See? Variety! Spice of life! :P

Jokes aside I get the point Tacgnol is trying to make. I'd never allow my current main at my pnp table simply because I'd reckon no player I know could ever devise a background story concise, sufficient and interesting enough to be integrated into the bigger chronicle (that, I remind everyone, should also justify everyone else's PCs) that'd explain such a mixture of classes. Since this is a fucking SP game and the RP is all in my head, I easily ignore all that to have fun with a system that, as I said before I know pretty well. In order to have fun I need to try and break it, otherwise it's a yawn fest, I need to chase bigger and bigger number to make things interesting, but that's what my brain needs.
You are yelling at cloud again old man, only desiderius thinks its any close to tabletop...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Play whatever you want wont work to finish the game however even on normal , not in wotr. First 3 chapters are ok , but end game is clearly built for people who did the monk dip, but know what they are doing. Else it will be F5 F8 all the time.

I din't had to use a lot of min maxing in end game. TBH without two rods of greater quicken metamagic and rest scumming, I would't be able to beat certain encounters.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I would be happy with just some normal Fighters in party. One Minsc maybe, Kivan, Khaleed. They can have non-epic stat spread with 15 strengths. All in plate mails with cute little flaming swords and stuff.
Would be fun.

Monks, gaylords, cannibals, dex rapiers can all suck it.

On my good run I'd replace Seelah with Mercenary with same build as her, just to change her voice acting.

Mortmal

Arcane

I din't had to use a lot of min maxing in end game. TBH without two rods of greater quicken metamagic and rest scumming, I would't be able to beat certain encounters.
Me too, but if you have to start scumming, its not really a clear win.Thats why i said pure casters get shafted. I wasnt expecting end game to be so overtuned.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jokes aside I get the point Tacgnol is trying to make. I'd never allow my current main at my pnp table simply because I'd reckon no player I know could ever devise a background story concise, sufficient and interesting enough to be integrated into the bigger chronicle (that, I remind everyone, should also justify everyone else's PCs) that'd explain such a mixture of classes. Since this is a fucking SP game and the RP is all in my head*, I easily ignore all that to have fun with a system that, as I said before I know pretty well. In order to have fun I need to try and break it, otherwise it's a yawn fest, I need to chase bigger and bigger numbers to make things interesting, but that's what my brain needs.

*: and for all the Italians reading this or for anyone capable of reading Italian, know that, in my head, Bismuth, the Dino you get from the statuette, is actually called Capadimuro

Indeed. I don't really care what people play at the end of the day (it's an SP game after all, not a game I'm dming).

Parabalus

Arcane
That’s why you keep your Martials open instead of needlessly specializing. Proficiencies are valuable don’t waste.
Specialization is simply too beneficial from a min-maxing standpoint, though.

You can delay to a certain extent prioritizing "generic" feats, but at some point you either specialize in one weapon or you are left with a martial class that doesn't go anywhere near to fulfilling its potential.

No. It isn’t. You’re playing the wrong game.

Peak maxminning. There are exceptions for specific classes but in general being able to use best available (and most appropriate!) trumps that outside these classes.

Git gud.
What the fuck are you blabbing about?
There's no best available that is going to compensate efficiently enough for shit like
- best hit chance
- increased critical range
- increased critical multiplier

etc.
Especially since you tend to find items more or less in the same ballpark of quality for entire stretches of the game and the only massive outliers are usually the fringe options (that are sooner or later matched by alternate ones, anyway).

Blabbing lol. Trying to help you understand why you were sucking so bad you were on here whining and crying about Drezen while everyone else was having a ball.

You don’t understand where the max’s and min’s even are.

There is Improved Improved Improved Critical Improved in this game, ofc specializing is better.

Everything can also be feared so Shatter is still good.

Shadenuat

Arcane
In my current playthrough, with the exception of my casters, I've multiclassed all of my companions into either Hellknights (i.e. the paladin chick) or Armigers. :M
36b94d0d-fbe5-4f32-af02-bbe3ab2e234a.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
I would be happy with just some normal Fighters in party. One Minsc maybe, Kivan, Khaleed. They can have non-epic stat spread with 15 strengths. All in plate mails with cute little flaming swords and stuff.
Would be fun.

Monks, gaylords, cannibals, dex rapiers can all suck it.

On my good run I'd replace Seelah with Mercenary with same build as her, just to change her voice acting.

There is Wenduag and the Ch4 dood, and another mythic specific in Ch4.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That’s why you keep your Martials open instead of needlessly specializing. Proficiencies are valuable don’t waste.

You can delay to a certain extent prioritizing "generic" feats, but at some point you either specialize in one weapon or you are left with a martial class that doesn't go anywhere near to fulfilling its potential.

Peak maxminning. There are exceptions for specific classes but in general being able to use best available (and most appropriate!) trumps that outside these classes.

Git gud.
There's no best available that is going to compensate efficiently enough for shit like
- best hit chance

etc.
Especially since you tend to find items more or less in the same ballpark of quality for entire stretches of the game and the only massive outliers are usually the fringe options (that are sooner or later matched by alternate ones, anyway).

Blabbing lol. Trying to help you understand why you were sucking so bad you were on here whining and crying about Drezen while everyone else was having a ball.

There is Improved Improved Improved Critical Improved in this game, ofc specializing is better.

Overkill. Man I think everyone is overwhelmed by the breadth of choice here and clinging to the known. You don’t need to kill a corpse deader. You’re better off having access to a wide variety of unique effects and abilities as they come up.

Riel

Arcane
I planned my 1st run as a A Legend Mystic Theurge (Oracle/Sorcerer), just reached mythic rank 3 and realized I can't be a legend until mythic rank 8....

:negative:

I can be Angel, Azata, Trickster and Demon....
Demon is discarded in this play through because of role playing issues.
Angel I can cope with but would prefer no to due to the same
Azata seams redundant since I already have a pet but would probably be good role playing wise
Trickster seams to lack any kind of synergy with a Mystic Theurge

:mixedemotions:

Thoughts??

Parabalus

Arcane

Git gud.
- best hit chance

etc.

Overkill. Man I think everyone is overwhelmed by the breadth of choice here and clinging to the known. You don’t need to kill a corpse deader. You’re better off having access to a wide variety of unique effects and abilities as they come up.

There is a multitude of enemies with over 1k HP, rarely will you overkill stuff.

And the variety of effects aren't better than a x7 multiplier, or a 11-20 threat range. They are cooler though.

Reinhardt

Arcane
One thing I genuinely dislike about this rule set is is how hyper-specialized with ONE single specific weapon it pushes you to be.
Few feats down the line (weapon focus, weapon specialization, improved crit, etc) and you have literally no reason to ever consider any weapon that isn’t your main one.
It’s… limiting.

That's one area where Deadfire's approach is superior.

You mean that funny game where every weapon with low PEN and without PEN modal was a trash by default due to armor mechanics?)

Sabers, battleaxes, rapiers, flails and probably a few other categories would like to have a word with you.
Well, sabers actually have such a modal, but I've never used it (+50% Recovery).
Deadfire is game about sabers. There was enough sabers to equip an army and pretty much 0 other equip at release. Many choice.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I planned my 1st run as a A Legend Mystic Theurge (Oracle/Sorcerer), just reached mythic rank 3 and realized I can't be a legend until mythic rank 8....

:negative:

I can be Angel, Azata, Trickster and Demon....
Demon is discarded in this play through because of role playing issues.
Angel I can cope with but would prefer no to due to the same
Azata seams redundant since I already have a pet but would probably be good role playing wise
Trickster seams to lack any kind of synergy with a Mystic Theurge

:mixedemotions:

Thoughts??

Azata is great for casters. You can have 2 pets in this case. And eventually can even ride a dragon!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom