Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Game has combat or is more of an adventure game?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
There is old-school Fallout style tactical turn-based combat with action points and grid-based movement.

You have melee/ranged weapons with different stats, armor (DT), weapon/armor degradation, sneak attacks, and so on. Apart from basic shoot/hit actions, you have a selection of different moves, including alt attacks and the ability to kick enemies away [into space].

SW-laser-humanoid-crit.gif

Also, CHARM has some use in combat - if you have a very charming character, it is sort of "commander" which means you can literally take over and directly control your party members. Then it sort of becomes more squad-based combat experience.

And you can attack and kill anything you meet, there are no "essential" NPCS. In fact, the demo has special ending if you manage to kill everyone.

However, because the combat is 100% optional - that is you can avoid any and all of it - there is no hand holding. You can be killed quickly. And healing is limited.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Will the combat feature some "advanced" systems like cover, AoOs, or overwatch?
Is it possible to breach the hull in combat?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There is old-school Fallout style tactical turn-based combat with action points and grid-based movement.

You have melee/ranged weapons with different stats, armor (DT), weapon/armor degradation, sneak attacks, and so on. Apart from basic shoot/hit actions, you have a selection of different moves, including alt attacks and the ability to kick enemies away [into space].

SW-laser-humanoid-crit.gif

Also, CHARM has some use in combat - if you have a very charming character, it is sort of "commander" which means you can literally take over and directly control your party members. Then it sort of becomes more squad-based combat experience.

And you can attack and kill anything you meet, there are no "essential" NPCS. In fact, the demo has special ending if you manage to kill everyone.

However, because the combat is 100% optional - that is you can avoid any and all of it - there is no hand holding. You can be killed quickly. And healing is limited.

Loving the death animations bro

it reminds me of Heart of Darkness

Its actually a huge selling point

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Ah, unfortunately, we don't have any of that.

Thanks, it's pixelartgnome -s work. Though disclaimer, these are "last-critical-hit" animations, most of the time death is not that spectacular.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ah, unfortunately, we don't have any of that.

Thanks god you dont

Its system bloat

Colony ship is full of it

Thanks, it's pixelartgnome -s work. Though disclaimer, these are "last-critical-hit" animations, most of the time death is not that spectacular.

You should ramp it up a bit

Make it more like the Fallouts

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Nah, that's a cool little feature/minigame. Its sensible, like fishing in Underrail or Pazaak in Kotor, like a minigame should be. PS I love that you can discover secret areas with it.

I'm talking about cover, AoOs, grazing or overwatch.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This game is gorgeous looking, can't believe I'm only just now learning of it. Definitely going to be getting it when it is ready, I can't get over how good the monochrome interface on the pipboy thing looks.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
main-capsule-SW-2-1.png

Obviously, a fair bit of time has passed since the last Steam artwork update. I mean, seriously, look at the state of that spacesuit!

We settled on the image above for now but in the process, we stumbled onto an interesting dilemma. Initially, we had nothing reflected in the spaceman's helmet so it felt we needed something. There was an idea to add a bit of face because very often capsules on Steam feature a face - e.g. Age of Decadence among others. Though, AoD employs a number of faces thus implying variation, I presume?

I liked the result but kind of decided against it because it felt like it would limit the role-playing feel.

What do you think? Image in question:

image.png

Terenty

Liturgist
Man whatever you do, for the love of God, don't bloat your dialogues with obnoxious descriptions and purple prose ala Pillars, Pathfinder, Encased, Numenera etc.

Make it brief and straight to a point like good old Fallout

Pls, i beg of you!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Man whatever you do, for the love of God, don't bloat your dialogues with obnoxious descriptions and purple prose ala Pillars, Pathfinder, Encased, Numenera etc.

Make it brief and straight to a point like good old Fallout

Pls, i beg of you!

At this point it's a bit too late :(

But, hey, you can play a character with very low FOCUS attribute:

SW-lose-FOCUS.gif

Basically any text longer than certain word limit turns into bla-bla because you(r character) cannot keep focus.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wouldn't worry about the dialogue. Purple prose has fashionably returned to the peasants lexicon but this is to be expected after a few generations of people who have been raised on headlines, Twitter posts and article summaries. This population would have reacted similarly to Hölderlin, even Tolstoy. Minimalism and elaboration both have their places.

Edit - Let me preempt any association between myself and the games mentioned in the post I'm in part reaction to, and point instead as an exemplar to Wizardry VII.

main-capsule-SW-2-1.png

Obviously, a fair bit of time has passed since the last Steam artwork update. I mean, seriously, look at the state of that spacesuit!

We settled on the image above for now but in the process, we stumbled onto an interesting dilemma. Initially, we had nothing reflected in the spaceman's helmet so it felt we needed something. There was an idea to add a bit of face because very often capsules on Steam feature a face - e.g. Age of Decadence among others. Though, AoD employs a number of faces thus implying variation, I presume?

I liked the result but kind of decided against it because it felt like it would limit the role-playing feel.

image.png

I like more the reflection version. If you want to change it, put something that would signalize the danger of the world in the reflection.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
That FOCUS mechanic is a stroke of genius. Love it!

I actually like the interface being reflected in that helmet, not a fan of this face.

V_K

Arcane
main-capsule-SW-2-1.png

image.png
So my problem with the original version is that the figure doesn't immediately scream "human in a space suit". If you haven't seen it in-game, it might be a bit confusing trying to figure out what it is.
My problem with the face version though is that the face doesn't make it much clearer either. And I also don't thing it quite fits the perspective - the chin seems to be jammed in the bottom half of the helmet, while the top half seems like it would have way too much empty space, assuming normal human head proportions.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
main-capsule-SW-2-1.png

image.png
The helmet with the reflection of a computer screen or something is way better. It's more reminiscent of the Fallout 1 power armor intro image, where it has that kind of mysterious quality to it, and leaves it open to what kind of person is in the armor which is better for a RPG.

Incredible how much better the game looks now compared to when I tried the demo years ago.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
main-capsule-SW-2-1.png

image.png

nah he should be faceless imo

first image is better

Beans00

Augur
main-capsule-SW-2-1.png

image.png

Faceless/computer is much better

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Alright, thanks for the input! I think it's clear that it's good that we decided against the face. However, there are still things to improve in the "computer" version, of course.

Meanwhile, we updated that version with minor detail to try to give some better (clearer) context for the computer reflection:

header-capsule-SW-2-2.png

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
We have released a new version of our demo on Steam, it includes all the features listed previously - e.g. floor cutting, knock-out gas, subspray, and more. We also fixed a bug or two.

Check the post here:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/2988693170195404209

P.S.
If you hate Steam, don't fret, the new version will find itself on itch.io in a while as well. But not yet.

SW-blinking-O.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom