Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Biggest disappointments of 2022?

Zlaja

Arcane
Dying Light 2 (unfortunately)

I hope I'm wrong.

JDR13

Arcane
… But it obviously wasn’t? Even if you’re a normie who loved Oblivion and FO3 (lol), FO4 was widely considered a disappointment. That’s part of the reason the FO76 backlash was so severe.

No it wasn't. FO 4 has a higher approval rating on Steam than its predecessor. Neither game is great, but FO4 wasn't actually worse in any way except for maybe the dialogue. The Fallout 76 backlash was bad because Fallout 76 is bad.

Skyrim is no Morrowind, but it is certainly better than Oblivion.

Zero doubt there. Oblivion is the worst TES game by a country mile.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how the fuck am i supposed to know what disappoints me in 2022 when i'm still in 2021?

the biggest disappointment will probably be dumbass new 'dexers

JDR13

Arcane
Dying Light 2 (unfortunately)

I hope I'm wrong.

It better not be. I'm hanging my hat on DL2 and Elex 2 being my best gaming experiences for the first half of the year.

I'm going with Elden Ring. Not because I think it's going to be a bad game, but because I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when the great open-world RPG they were expecting turns out to more Dark Souls.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Daggerfall hasn’t aged particularly well (I rarely play it today), but it blew my mind when it came out; can’t say that about any of Bethesda’s other games.

Same, Daggerfall was amazing for its time. Subsequent ES games, while good, didn't quite provide the degree of amazement for me.

Norfleet

Nobody can possibly still be disappointed by Bethesda.
stardf1.png
To be fair, I would do this, too. What I would NOT mention outright is the fact that the choice for "attack helicopter" is included.

Sjukob

Arcane
I have had a strong "it's shit until proven otherwise" view concerning video games for several years now, you can't be disappointed if you don't expect anything, right?

I've tried playing Doom Eternal not that long ago and it turned out to be a very fun FPS, yes it has some glaring issues and obviously it can't compete with classics, but classic Doom has practically no room for improvement and is a neraly perfect FPS as is. So taking a game in a new direction seems like a good idea to me. But still, it's probably the best FPS made since F.E.A.R. and it's truly difficult too, proper challenge is something that is seriously lacking in games today, even indies. I guess a lot of people here shit on it, because there's way too much trash getting released nowadays and Doom 2016 turned out to be a boring piece of shit. So I was really surprised to see an AAA game that is actually challenging and fun to play.

But in the end, I don't think there are any new titles that I am looking forward too. I am mostly concerned about old games that I haven't tried yet and fan made stuff for them. I'm thinking of giving God Hand a go in 2022, I've heard that it is a great beat'em'up, I hope it delivers. Also, recently I've been looking at some stuff from classic x-coms and mods for them, like x-piratez, never played them before, but those seemed very interesting too.

Sjukob

Arcane
Actually, I would say that for me Elex 2 will be the biggest disappointment. I really like Gothic formula, but just can't stand Elex. Trash game, I have no idea how people who played Gothic can adore it. At least there are some decent mods for Gothic, like the upcoming Chronicles of Myrtana.

Darth Roxor do you actually like Elex or is it just an overblown joke? Why do you not shill for some quality Gothic mods instead?

Norfleet

I'm not sure it qualiies as a disappointment if you already know you won't like it. If you predict you will hate it and you do, in fact, hate it, that's not a disappointment, that's exactly as expected.

Curratum

Disappointment to whom? Autistic codexers who still play games made 35 years ago? Regular "gamers" who gobble up everything big studios throw at them?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor do you actually like Elex or is it just an overblown joke?

Yes, I actually like it, and in fact I'm replaying it now. The funny thing is I poasted what is exactly the opposite of what you write here very recently in the dedicated ELEX thread:

Anyway, now that I'm playing this again, I don't get how someone who otherwise enjoys these kinds of rpgs wouldn't like ELEX. I mean it, I simply don't. This game is just so ridiculously fun, and everything about it feels satisfying, even if the XP rewards for monsters are completely bonkers and most places you stumble upon give you 5 zigarettes and a roll of toilet paper.

Why do you not shill for some quality Gothic mods instead?

Because if there's one thing in the world that I just don't care about at all, it's mods.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have seen some troubling things in the Elex 2 streams:

-too easy on normal difficulty
-too many cutscenes
-Quest NCPs that cannot be attacked/killed
-ugly retard faces

Then there are things that either elevate the game to new heights or simply break it
-the new focus on complete player freedom with even joining a faction becoming optional
-the fact that even the jetpack upgrades are not locked behind story progression.

Not saying it will be disappointing but I think some here won't like it as much.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
One thing a lot of people are excited about that is sure to disappoint is the Steam Deck.

First generation product from a company with limited experience developing hardware. And the expectations set are completely unrealistic.

Similar products already on the market have presented problems Valve has not addressed. We are just expected to assume Valve will do better.

I'm not even saying it's going to be shit. But even if it turns out to be exactly what they advertised without any glaring problems, there will still be those people who buy it thinking it's a console or a good entry point for PC gaming. They will be crying on social media as soon as they boot it up.

Nobody can possibly still be disappointed by Bethesda.
stardf1.png
Do trannies know that you don't have to make a male character equipped with a dress? You can just make a girl.
If MTFs were actually people who wanted to actually be women, they'd take that option. Since they're narcissists who want endless attention they need to stand out and be obvious men in dresses, because otherwise they won't get to "correct" people when they "misgender" them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom