Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex’s Best Computer RPGs (pre-Diablo)

mondblut

Arcane
Personally, I'd say that "spot the decline enabler" choice is MM3-5, which are the original popamole.
Now let the butthurt flow!..

Nah, these would be a kid's first CRPG. Which is not properly monocled, but commendable in some ways.
Even if it were so (which it's not), how else would you call someone who votes "a kid's first CRPG" as the best of an era?

I would call them someone who was a kid during that era.

V_K

Arcane
Personally, I'd say that "spot the decline enabler" choice is MM3-5, which are the original popamole.
Now let the butthurt flow!..

Nah, these would be a kid's first CRPG. Which is not properly monocled, but commendable in some ways.
Even if it were so (which it's not), how else would you call someone who votes "a kid's first CRPG" as the best of an era?

I would call them someone who was a kid during that era.
...and never grew up.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Deuce Traveler is there some reason that most early roguelikes are not included on the list?

Yeah. Roguelikes suck.

I'd make a honorary exception for URW, but nobody has played it until the late 90s versions, so...
Some roguelikes are great, one of my favourite subgenres of crpg. OTOH every subgenre that is focused on gameplay and interesting game systems as opposite to story and faggotry is. Except action-crpg but i used to play even those when younger. Roguelikes are almost pure gameplay.
Enough about roguelikes. I think that M&M is overall a series that has a little to much praise. It is very formulaic and rater simplistic (although very pretty starting with part 3?). But yeah, early one might have been the childhoods games of some older codexers.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Is Betrayal at Kondor about to run away with this shit???
Quite likely, if not Dark sun.

I like the vision behind BaK a lot and think (and hope) Call of Saregnar will refresh the gameplay enough so the formula gets the engine it deserves.
Still, BaK combat and traps are some of the most painful out there and i don't blame the devs, 10 years later, they would have make something 10 times better, engine-wise.

So, it has to be Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, i believe the engine is far from perfect, would have been the number one RPG for the next 40 years if it was made 5/10 years later but still, the UI and the engine is far more polished and the gameplay way better.

It has to be Dark Sun.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Current numbers information:
The current top 10 is quite prestigious, arguably more prestigious than the 2019 poll's top 10. I expected Pool of Radiance to be higher, but at this point the top 5 looks unassailable.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Darklands
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Pool of Radiance
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Might & Magic: World of Xeen
Dungeon Master

V_K

Arcane
Current numbers information:
The current top 10 is quite prestigious, arguably more prestigious than the 2019 poll's top 10. I expected Pool of Radiance to be higher, but at this point the top 5 looks unassailable.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Darklands
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Pool of Radiance
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Might & Magic: World of Xeen
Dungeon Master
Ok, how many alts do I need to make to get Xeen out of the Top10?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ok, how many alts do I need to make to get Xeen out of the Top10?

I'll always be one alt ahead of you

fI1Kpkc.jpg

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
That top 3 shows that people are voting for the games they believe are mere prototypes of what came later, which is a shame. At least Ultima Underworld is actually a great game (arguably better than all its successors) and Dark Sun has full party creation and turn-based combat, which gives it an edge over the IE games, but Betrayal at Krondor? WTF people, it's a cute game and I quite enjoyed it, but it doesn't deserve to be neaby the top 5. Having it above Darklands, Pool of Radiance or any Wizardry game is a travesty.

dacencora

That top 3 shows that people are voting for the games they believe are mere prototypes of what came later, which is a shame. At least Ultima Underworld is actually a great game (arguably better than all its successors) and Dark Sun has full party creation and turn-based combat, which gives it an edge over the IE games, but Betrayal at Krondor? WTF people, it's a cute game and I quite enjoyed it, but it doesn't deserve to be neaby the top 5. Having it above Darklands, Pool of Radiance or any Wizardry game is a travesty.
What if the people voting for these games don't share your opinion that they are "mere prototypes"?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
What if the people voting for these games don't share your opinion that they are "mere prototypes"?
Yeah, let's pretend people are voting for what made unique and worth-playing this golden era, instead of the games that feel closer to the late 90's and early 00's times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom