Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Marcin Iwinski is shizo militant vegan, all executives are incompetent, big ego and greedy while staff is increasingly transsexualized, SJWified, womanized and Americanized. Culturally, it's already Californian company based in Poland. Only good for junior programmers to put them on their CV

CD PROJEKT RED will NEVER AGAIN repeat Witcher 3. Understand that and move on

Codex Year of the Donut

sorry for the reddit video but this is too good not to post. cdpr dev gets asked why there are no car chases in the game and his repsonse is just :prosper:

I guess Hitler was right about dem poles. Never trust em. My personal life has certainly improved, since I started giving polaks a wid berth. I hope Russia annexes Pooland soon.

Yeah, Poles are Jews of the Slavs. Perpetual victim complex, not one single good RPG from them despite them having biggest gaming industry in Eastern Europe, best standard of living from all Slavs and there being 50m of them. They are champions of moaning thou

Further more, name me one good game, regardless of genre, made in Poland in last 5 years. I'm genuinly interested. Biggest frauds, biggest lovers of globohomo among Slavs, and in deep deep deeeeeep love with American culture. Their nationalism is 99% hatred towards Russia and butthurt towards Western Europe. Disappointed in Polska!

Said by ottoman inbred rape baby :hahano: YOU ARE NOT EVEN A SLAV SHITSKIN YOU HAVE MORE IN COMMON WITH TURKS WHO RULED OVER YOUR SHITHOLE FOR 400 YEARS.

You can keep sucking russian dick but that wont make you white.

How does Biden limp, ancient dick tastes like? Like best ice-cream you ever had. You always get your face covered with Biden's ice-cream. We all know you look in RL like that goblin avatar of yours. Goblin-General of Polish Cuck Army, professional British ass cleaners and American dick polishers. MIGHTY POLSKA :D

What Poles gave us? AIDS
Witcher 3, Hearts of Stone, Blood and Wine , Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 which are way better than the games you listed.
You forgot: Witcher board game, Witcher figurine, Witcher mug, Witcher body pillow and Witcher underwear

thronebreaker was pretty good even though I dislike card games

Gradenmayer

Learned
If you look at all the mechanics this game has- it matches those in a witcher 3 game:
itemization is identical,
mutagens just got turned into augmentations,
skill tree could be the same code for how similar it is,
quest types are identical and follow the same mechanics,
scan and hacking are modified Witcher sense,
dialogue system is the same (down to the amount of responses you can pick).

They ran out of time after making tons of unnecessary prototypes and then Frankensteined this shit together out of Witcher 3's code. Confirmed by glassdoor's reviews by their ex-employees on this company.

Every new mechanic (since W3) that they added just straight up sucks, so don't expect for it to get better.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you look at all the mechanics this game has- it matches those in a witcher 3

Of course it does. I’ve said it before. They practically did to Cyberpunk what Bethesda did to Fallout 3. Slapped a list of familiar names and art on top of their previous success in hopes that enough sheeple and shills would accept it.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I take it this game is not worth the $30 sale price I see on GoG?
I'd say it is, middling price for a middling product, but it depends on what you want for your thirty bucks. It's not a terrible game, just terribly disappointing - good artistry, mediocre action, bad RPG.

Bad RPG? I suppose I shouldn't reward that with a purchase.

Ryzer

Arcane
TW3 sucks - I got bored before I came to the allegedly good parts (the DLC).
Because you adopted a completionist stance. For Witcher 3, focus only on secondary quests you find interesting and on the main quest (the game is way too big for me) otherwise you'll get bored. Don't forget mods to improve the gameplay as well.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Because you adopted a completionist stance, for Witcher 3 focus only on secondary quests you find interesting and on the main quest (the game is way too big for me) otherwise you'll get bored. Don't forget mods to improve the gameplay as well.

I agree. That game should come with an OCD warning.

Ryzer

Arcane
remember collecting the sexcards in the witcher 1? cdpr will never be this based again. honestly you just need to look at the way they've changed their approach to sexuality from game to game to notice the steep decline they've had. whatever their next game will be, it will probably not have any straight sex at all and you'll be forced to take the kielbasa up the ass.
This isn't a good example. The best indicator of the decline from them is the alchemy/ learning (from books reading) system. It was so good in Witcher 1, I thought they would improve it even more in Witcher 3 but sadly they did not.
I prefer them to delve into deep RPG mechanics than sex scenes IMO.

Last edited:

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Is it good yet?

It's fine if you just want a action...r...no, action game.

There's no real 'Roleplaying' in it. It has a lot of content, 40, 50 hours worth, some say 100, I've pushed out 200 doing all the gigs and exploring.

Y7j5cZf.png

It's not a shit, unplayable game. But it's NOT a open world rpg, it's not the witcher of cyberpunk, it's not the GTA of cyberpunk. It tells a weird story set in Night City is all. Some of the gigs are fun. Some moments are poignant. This is what you have to keep in mind. There's like, one questline that has car racing. Gangs eventually basically disappear. And forget about getting lost in interiors, but walking the streets is a lot of eye candy. Gunplay is neat.

I had bugs. But nothing broke the game. One quest didn't clear up (A cyberpsycho gig), I could get yeeted dozens or hundreds of meters due to collision mesh bs, and uh, it would crash once when I tried to take a pic of UsCracks, but nothing impeded the gameplay or main storyline.

(this was the one causing the crashing in that sidequest line)

2fSTOsK.png

Is it worth 70, 60, 50 dollars? Fuck no. 40? Ehhhh. 30, 20, 10 - definitely.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sort of like the poster above me said. I think if you approach it as a bit of a weird type of game: a looter shooter that's heavily driven by story missions rather than screwing around fighting all the time, that's about where it's at.

If dicking around in a (at least it used to be, I assume it's still ok now) very pretty, highly detailed cyberpunk world and geeking out on the eye candy is up your alley, you'll probably enjoy it. If you're expecting anything deep on any level, you probably won't. For me, the portrayal of some grimey environments contrasted with neon and chrome, etc. of the cyberpunk setting + things like smart bullets adjusting their trajectory in the air and getting chromed out hit enough of my childhood imagination points from playing tabletop games like Shadowrun was enough to carry my enjoyment. If you don't have that same reference point or can't appreciate games on a pretty shallow audio-visual level, I don't think you'll get as much out of it.

Edit: Also, the driving controls are some of the shittiest, most atrocious that I've experienced in any game since somewhere around GTA3. Which is awful in a game where you probably drive a lot, or at least should be driving a lot. Assuming they haven't actually patched this into something functional and fun.

JDR13

Arcane
It's as much of an RPG as any other recent action-RPG. I'm not sure why anyone would try to claim otherwise.

Is it great? Hell no. I enjoyed it enough to finish, but I was kind of glad when it was over. I played it at release though, so I have no idea how much of an impact all those patches have had.

Perkel

Arcane
It's as much of an RPG as any other recent action-RPG. I'm not sure why anyone would try to claim otherwise.

Is it great? Hell no. I enjoyed it enough to finish, but I was kind of glad when it was over. I played it at release though, so I have no idea how much of an impact all those patches have had.

90% of stuff in those patches were for consoles and trying to alleviate problems with streaming. 10% were bugfixes for missions and some skills.

If you are on PC then 1.31 is essentially very similar to 1.0 because PC didn't have streaming issues and shitload of bugs caused by them unless you were on potato.

Sort of like the poster above me said. I think if you approach it as a bit of a weird type of game: a looter shooter that's heavily driven by story missions rather than screwing around fighting all the time, that's about where it's at.

warning. criticism rumblings.

More like there is mismatch between expectations and reality. I said this before. People including here were expecting GTA or at minumum witcher 3 with guns. They got tw3light with heavy amount of deus ex/mgs design with more open ended gameplay rather than story.

I mean when it comes to any other game getting your mission solved by multiple avenues hacking/stealth/combat etc. is a positive but here it completely doesn't matter as if it is expectation that this is possible in every game. In TW3 their previous game you could only finish quest in one way, make a choice and then you had either A or B ending of quest usually after hours. I mean there is a reason why going out of main path in GTA/RDR2 leads to "failed" while in C77 it doesn't.

In C77 Pretty much every quest and the more you go outside of main quest the more this exposed is, could be finished in multiple ways. I mean for example the gigs with target you need to take out all have build in outcome where you kidnap target instead of killing it. Enemies in those missions have patterns, there are multiple ways to get into rooms/houses etc. Almost all bosses in game are optional where you can just sneak by them.

It is obvious that C77 has more gameplay than TW3 has and system wise it sits above it. The issue seems to be that C77 isn't storyfag game like TW3 was. So you had people who wanted out of this storyfag game and other people who wanted out of it GTA game. C77 in my opinion ended up as some sort of mish mash between TW3 light and mgs5 in equal amounts. I loved it like that but i can see why both storyfags and GTA people think it is bad game. That being said story itself is amazing imho, especially some of the detail of it so it is not like story itself is bad, just C&C around it is confusing and railoady.

There is also the issue of prologue. IT is clear that people expected 3 different starting points and effectively 3 different main stories. Considering this is CDPR and their TW2 achievement it was something that was possible but unprobeable. For me the most important part that was missing was the timeskip which imho felt like i was missing important part of game but everything after it felt "right" my first playtrough NOMAD felt right. Yeah there was some street kid underlying but the general themes and major philosophical points were on point. It was struggle between losing old family, finding new family, losing family again and again finding new one. The choices in main story simple as they might seem were on point. It feels completely different from RP perspective when you decide what to do with the chip when you just found new family vs when you do street kid and you have essentially nothing and only friend you have is dude in your brain who is everything you want to be but can't or couldn't.

C77 feels right to RP it is just very railroady and requires player to RP instead of game for you to RP your choices. It is best shown by River quest line. In my playtrough i was helping River and at some point killer was taken in by police. But River didn't want to end this way so he gave me a choice to help him kill that dude. If i would play as Streetkid then helping him feels right because as a streetkid you brake rules all the time and it wouldn't feel right not to help him. By my nomad was different. I was just helping guy, family was safe again and it would be stupid for river to risk his job for revenge and again put his family at risk. So i declined, he said he will do it alone.

In game RPing for you that would be the end of quest line followed by some moral debate about law/justice and some shit. Later on like few hours irl later you had dinner with River family. River tells you that he was just by the bed of killer and he almost did it but something stopped him. So they clearly left this as a C&C for player who RP instead of people who follow quest boxes aka gameRP for you.

There is other example of this in my memory. When i was helping out guy meet with his opressors, dude was blackmailed or something. If you follow quest objectives then dude dies because he start to shot guys just like that and dies in combat but there is no "help him fight bad guys[optional]" marker and him dying leads to further part of quest where you talk and go with his killers. Imagine my suprise when on second playthrough i just killed those guys before they could kill guy and quest had different outcome.

So C77 is weird mish mash and how good it is depend on what you expectations were before you started playing.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
But does River kill the killer though? I don't think he does, even if you decide you want to to help him (he declines your help and he didn't end up killing Anthony from what I can remember from my playthrough).

The unfortunate thing about Cyberpunk is that there are "consequences" here and there, but they are triggered at stupid points. So for River, you can get a pretty bleak outcome, but this is triggered by you basically turning down to help him any further at a certain point in the questline. Now, this is all well and good to have, but that type of consequence should also be in quests where you fuck up at something, fail to find something, or whatever. Because who is gonna turn down a quest? Especially when you're like... in the middle of the questline.
Just like in the Witcher 3, there should have been more far more risks at actually failing, or fucking up, some of them.

Would definitely agree though that many of the little sidequests are actually far more fun to play what we typically got in the Witcher 3. Just having the options to play through them in different ways, even though they can be simplistic, is a huge improvement over TW3. But again, the issue with the smaller quests is the method of delivery. The game seemingly does everything it can to make them feel like checkmarks to cross off on your way to completionism, rather than actual interesting situations. The delivery by phone, the "detes" (here's the backstory if you care to read it), it makes it feel so cheap.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Just like in the Witcher 3, there should have been more far more risks at actually failing, or fucking up, some of them.

Probably right for the side quests. But I found some of the things that impact the ending you get in Witcher 3 incredibly random.

Edit: I mean, it feels like you tell Siri (or whatever her name is) to clean up her room just once, and bam, everyone dies in the end.

Edit2: Tho I wasn't so much bummed out about the ending I got, it felt kinda topical. Just stupid how I got there. :D

ferratilis

Magister
I reloaded the crucifixion quest three or four times, trying to get a different outcome, hoping to find at least a bit of player agency. There's none. No matter what you say, or do, or try to kill some NPCs (spoiler alert: the game will not let you), the quest ends the same way. Even if you outright abandon the last scene, the guy gets crucified. It's such a cool quest, but the lack of player agency makes it feel cheap. Most of the side quests are like this. The only thing choices affect is what kind of reward you get, and you can count quests like that on one hand. This alone makes quests in Cyberpunk inferior to Twitcher 3, imho.

Gargaune

Magister
I really hate the way raindrops look in this game, especially at low FOVs. I dunno, it just looks cheap and plasticky, like someone's chOoo0ming just off the edge of my screen. For comparison, here's some wallpaper material from Deus Ex 4:
dx4rain.jpg

:nocountryforshitposters:

But nevermind Deus Ex and its like, Fallout 4 is a better RPG than Cyberpunk 2077 and it's open-world too. They have similarly disappointing narrative agency (though, yes, CBP has better writing), but Fo4 has much better character progression, itemisation, and dungeon level design.

And hey, if you're gonna tell me 2015 isn't "recent"... it was when CDPR began working on Cyberpunk. :D

I don't hate the game, it's got its moments, but I also don't think better RPG systems should've been a bridge too far. You'll rightly point out that CBP just builds on TW3's design and I should've expected that, but I really thought that with all that time, money and clout CDPR had, they'd have tried for more.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Because if you haven't noticed, not everyone around here agrees what an RPG actually is :-P.

So you can only speak in relative terms, e.g. "from a pure mechanics perspective Cyberpunk 2077 is more of an RPG than Witcher 3 was".

Of course then you may enter into discussions about if the writing in dialog choices are part of a game's mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom