Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wrath of the cringefinder compilation thread

dacencora

Best writing I've encountered in a game so far was in Age of Decadence. Then I like to-the-point, no bullshit writing in ELEX, Fallout 1, Gothics, etc.

If this is the style you like, it’s doubtful you’ll be able to stomach either Pathfinder, IMO.

mondblut

Arcane
The writing is very sincere and emotional. It reminds me of the sort of tumblresque writing you find in games like Undertale. Most of the companions are written as characters who are actively developing emotionally and companion quests are about you guiding them on their emotional journey.

Yes, we know they are written by women.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So one of the local literature critics praises Divinity: Original Sin and Fallout-76, whilst the other thinks that writing in Pillars-I - which many people consider "purple prose" - is better than in Wrath.

It is known.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Then I like to-the-point, no bullshit writing in ELEX, Fallout 1, Gothics, etc.

So I'm not actually sure what the answer is, I might cautiously give it a try one day and ignore the romances bullshit.

There is a mod that shows what every line in pathfinder (kingmaker) actually does, mechanically. Install it and you can focus on things that actually matter instead of reading their blah blah blah.

dacencora

Wouldn’t really call myself a literature critic. Just found the Pathfinders and Deadfire really bad. I can normally tolerate a lot of campiness and poor dialogues in most media. I like OG Star Trek and I had a lot of fun in D:OS2, for example. BG1 is my personal favorite as far as campy fantasy goes. However, I couldn’t stomach Deadfire or the Pathfinders. Something about them just lacks that charm I suppose.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
With the Pathfinder games, I tend to find that the "main" writing and bits of conversation that move the story or quest along are ok, even quite good at times (though occasionally bad too), and then you have the loredumps and feelings/narrative-pushing passages - but thankfully they're sectioned off by being "extra" options ("Tell me more about x"), so they're really obviously optional.

I think that's what's different wrt them and the PoE games, where the loredumps tend to be more mixed in with the main dialogue, therefore felt more intrusive at times.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
With the Pathfinder games, I tend to find that the "main" writing and bits of conversation that move the story or quest along are ok, even quite good at times (though occasionally bad too), and then you have the loredumps and feelings/narrative-pushing passages - but thankfully they're sectioned off by being "extra" options ("Tell me more about x"), so they're really obviously optional.

That's actually the best way, to make it fully optional and then you can safely ignore it. Although, if it doesn't affect anything, then why is it in there, in the first place...

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Although, if it doesn't affect anything, then why is it in there, in the first place...
Because some people like to read good stories. And the story of the Worldwound and 4 failed crusades is good. There will be a rogue-like dungeon in the last DLC, so those who can't read will be able to play, too.

On the other hand, those who can read, probably, can't play on any difficulty higher than normal, but it's their choice.

lametta

Educated
No wonder people on codex can't appreciate jokes in pathfinder their pinnacle of humor, is laughing at women and minorities.
who says that he/she/xem/them is a woman?
did you just assume their gender and/or status(minority)?
you racist

Camel

Scholar
cheer up! things might change! Owlcat actually hired a new writer for their next game:
https://imgur.com/a/UBy8eJH

DCzGEzx_d.webp

No wonder people on codex can't appreciate jokes in pathfinder their pinnacle of humor, is laughing at women and minorities.
:npc:
If said women, feminists and minorities are unintentionally funny and retarded, they better shape up and stop being a laughing stock. A minority card denied!
I’m not surprised that SJWs defend the Cringefinder’s shit humor.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

That's actually the best way, to make it fully optional and then you can safely ignore it. Although, if it doesn't affect anything, then why is it in there, in the first place...

It fleshes out the background sense of the virtual world you're doing stuff in, so it's nice to have - but it's better in books that you can collect and read when you're in the mood for it. You're not always in the mood to read a bit of lore when the momentum of the story is pushing you along, or you're eager to get to the next juicy fight. (Although on the other hand, sometimes reading a book in a quiet bit in a dungeon can be atmospheric too - some of the books in TES lore were great for that :) )

ArchAngel

Arcane
Storyfags.. storyfags never change..
Storyfags love verbose, bad writing. In fact, this is their defining characteristic. Pathfinders are in a weird place, on one hand they have the traits of a storyfag game but on the other, some good systems. The latter probably only because it is based on an existing p&p system that has been refined for two decades. The devs decided to port it to computer without too much shortcuts. Which is very nice of them. I dread to think what would happen if one day those same devs would try to make their own original game with a self-made system.
We would not play it or praise it or have multiple topics about it. And it is not important for the current discussion.

ArchAngel

Arcane
cheer up! things might change! Owlcat actually hired a new writer for their next game:
https://imgur.com/a/UBy8eJH

DCzGEzx_d.webp

All Progressives are pedophiles. Change my mind.

Why would I change your mind, you are entitled to your opinion.
That is a Crowder reference he gave you. But it is expected that at least half of the world does not get it.

Humbaba

Arcane
As others have pointed out 99% of the pozz is unnoticeable and the orc dyke and her victim are an exception. If you voluntarily cornhole Saucyel then you have brought the pozz on yourself. The writing is pretty meh but the plot itself is good, definitely better than Pillars. Anyone who claims that Pillars has a better plot is mentally ill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom