Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch Original Campaign

V_K

Arcane
Don't you get payed when you are writing a PhD in the US? Rofl, what a circus.
Technically, in many places (not just the US - if I'm not misremembering, UK system works that way too, at least for internationals) there even are tuition fees you have to pay. Usually, you get a grant/TAship that covers those fees and some living expenses. Usually, but not necessarily.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are they ever going to make another Shadowrun RPG? While not masterpieces by any means, I really enjoyed the series.
Unfortunately, no. At least in the foreseeable future. There are difficulties with determining who holds the rights to these games or something to that affect.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Microsoft owns the rights to Shadowrun. But given that they just spent a lot of money buying multiple RPG studios, it doesn't seem particularly likely they're going to license out a setting they own to a company they don't own so they can release a product that will compete with theirs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Microsoft only owns the video game rights of the IP, the tabletop rules and setting belong to someone else, that's the problem. According to this page, the Shadowrun IP belongs to the Topps Company.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Microsoft only owns the video game rights of the IP, the tabletop rules and setting belong to someone else, that's the problem. According to this page, the Shadowrun IP belongs to the Topps Company.
As far as rules goes, it doesn't matter, because they can't legally enforce a copyright over "rules" :) https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...s_are_not_expression_protected_copyright_law/ https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...around-board-games-intellectual-property-law/

As for setting related stuff, it wasn't a problem for HBS's game or that online Shadowrun game that was released a few years ago.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There has to be something that is copyrighted within the rules, otherwise I can just create a copy of whatever game I want with a different skin. Why is there a difference between the SRD and the actual 5E rules? Maybe I'm not understanding something. Either way, as far as I can gather, you need permission from both Microsoft and the Topps Company in order to make a video game. Which HBS don't have as subsidiaries of Paradox, so no more of these games unfortunately.

almondblight

Arcane

It'd be pretty easy to just make a new setting. Shadowrun's cyberpunk stuff is lifted straight from Gibson (even small details, like New Yen becoming NuYen or ICE becoming IC). Someone just needs to do the same and add some magic on top.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There has to be something that is copyrighted within the rules, otherwise I can just create a copy of whatever game I want with a different skin.

One can in fact legally do this as long as you don't rip off any content they can legally enforce. :M

Either way, as far as I can gather, you need permission from both Microsoft and the Topps Company in order to make a video game. Which HBS don't have as subsidiaries of Paradox, so no more of these games unfortunately.

Being owned by Paradox didn't change things, just specifically not being owned by Microsoft alongside the other multiple RPG studios they've acquired since Hong Kong was released. Even then it's hypothetical since it's not like they've outright said anything.

wishbonetail

Learned
Mobile port, lackluster gameplay, felt like reading a comic book. But it is Shadowrun still, however shallow it may be, we don't get many of those.
Makes me dream that someday I'll master Genesis romhacking and release The Ultimate BugfixeD and Balanced True Shadowrun in all it's glory.
Someday...

So, I've been replaying this for various reasons and came across this -
gwHEzsR.jpg
Let's ignore the fact that they will be paying her if she's writing a PhD and not the other way around. She manages to afford an education as a doctor by being a waitress? This dystopian future is better than our present reality. Not to mention that she implies sex work would be a better option if she were willing to do it, which is also coconuts.
didn't even mythbusters prove that tips raise exponentially with bra size? and she looks like she sports quite the rack, so... hell, we live in the twitch generation, where a sex-starved retard is willing to give thousand of dollars to a sort of cute girl who lives on the other side of the world just for her to say his name. or even less than that.
black hole sun, won't you come?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There has to be something that is copyrighted within the rules, otherwise I can just create a copy of whatever game I want with a different skin. Why is there a difference between the SRD and the actual 5E rules? Maybe I'm not understanding something. Either way, as far as I can gather, you need permission from both Microsoft and the Topps Company in order to make a video game. Which HBS don't have as subsidiaries of Paradox, so no more of these games unfortunately.

That's pretty much what Pathfinder is.

Pathfinder can't use Illithids or Beholders because those fictional concepts are intellectual property owned by WotC/Hasbro, but they can use the same d20 system as D&D because game mechanics aren't covered by copyright.

Codex Year of the Donut
There has to be something that is copyrighted within the rules, otherwise I can just create a copy of whatever game I want with a different skin.
In USA:
As long as the rules are expressed in your own words, it's entirely legal. The book itself describing the rules may be copyrighted, but game's rules expressed by the book are not.
Game rules are also not valid material for a patent as they are an abstract idea.

That's pretty much what Pathfinder is.

Pathfinder can't use Illithids or Beholders because those fictional concepts are intellectual property owned by WotC/Hasbro, but they can use the same d20 system as D&D because game mechanics aren't covered by copyright.
Pathfinder is built upon material that was explicitly released under the Open Gaming License, it's not the same. They can copy material verbatim from the OGL'd documents without worry.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Mobile port, lackluster gameplay, felt like reading a comic book. But it is Shadowrun still, however shallow it may be, we don't get many of those.
Makes me dream that someday I'll master Genesis romhacking and release The Ultimate BugfixeD and Balanced True Shadowrun in all it's glory.
Someday...

I had the android port of Dragonfall but learned too late that it simply can't be played on a phone because of the microscopic font unless you have the eyes of The Man With The X-Ray Eyes by the time his eyesight was so good he was literally seeing God at the center of the universe at the end. I guess it was designed for a tablet.

I really need to play these new(er)-fangled Shadowrun games, having enjoyed the SNES version so much. The cyberpunk stuff and the prospect of colorful battles in cyberspace excites me; the idea of running along side elves and orks et al... eh, not so much.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
cyberspace excites me
well, uh, idk how to say this...
He said "the prospect". Sadly the cyberspace is lackluster in most games.
Not in Dystopia

I have this in my Steam library (but who doesn't? I think it's free) so I should check it out, along with some of the other top HL2 mods like gstring. My favorite depiction by far of cyberspace battles is, of course, Interplay's Neuromancer. Brilliant game design, and despite the primitive graphics on my C64, you got the feeling that cyberspace was near-infinite. System Shock had a very interesting cyberspace. Perhaps a bit too floaty but hey. Space is floaty; whether outer space or inner space.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Are they ever going to make another Shadowrun RPG? While not masterpieces by any means, I really enjoyed the series.

Average games. Shame they butchered the nice rule set so much. I would rather have something like the Sega Genesis Shadowrun version instead of this paper thin RPG.

Listen chummer my game was pretty good too.

having enjoyed the SNES ve4rsion so much.
Shadowrun Returns is essentially an indirect sequel to the SNES Shadowrun game, FYI.

Does it work? I was under the impression that it was kinda in development limbo/hell.

What? It was the first of the three released.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I really liked the D100 system that was used with the FFG Games Workshops games. It was straight forward and easy to understand by and large. And allowed for a lot of openness and screwing around with things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom