Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Then you haven't done the bonus bosses or areas.

I wasn't sure whether to rate you fake news, retadred, butthurt, shit, or cuck. Please accept my humble button with my compliments and be aware that I fully think of you with all of those. Before I continue responding to you, please give my regards to your family as caring for someone who so obviously suffers from cerebral palsy and severe retardation cannot be easy.

TLDR - I'm a From fanboi who sucks their dick and can't respond to actual criticism of the game.

Typical From fanboi crap - act like pointing out the poor design is because LUL YOU THINK TOO HARD. No, it's not 'hard' at all. I've already beaten the game and didn't spend more than a handful of deaths on any particular boss.

And shit, you had to be level 200 to beat the game on normal? And you're talking trash? LUL.

You're nothing special, chum, and in fact sounds like you're trying to front because you're so bad at the game, so you have to frantically pretend that you're somehow good. I've already beaten all the bosses on NG. It doesn't mean most of the endgame bosses aren't poorly programmed shit that rely on HP chunking meme moves instead of actual good design. Most of them have laughable exploits or summons which makes them a joke at any level. The issue with them is that if you do the fights the way From clearly INTENDED, then they're horribly balanced trash. Summon 2x sunbros that have higher than room temperature IQ and the bosses are laughable because From was incapable of programming good fights despite the fact that they put summong in the game.

You LITERALLY ADMITTED exactly what I said - that the Mohg curse is an idiotic gimmick that kills you ONCE, THAT YOU DIED TO, and then you healspam through it. But then you act like you have some divine revelation of gaming in doing EXACTLY what I said the fight was - a stupid gimmick move for a cheap kill and a joke of a boss the minute you understand the gimmick. I didn't even die and 1 shot him because my brother had actually told me about it and how stupid it was. Just because I 1 shot him doesn't mean he isn't shit design.

The endgame is a poorly balanced mess BECAUSE they give you way too much healing and try to counter it by taking massive chunks of your HP and potentially just 100%ing you. That's horrible game design. The answer was either significantly limit the amount of flasks you can take in a fight to actually make challenging bosses, significantly reduce the healing from flasks if you chain chug them within a short period, or give them actual good and aggressive AI that prevents the player from healing. Instead they went with giant HP chunking moron moves and helicopter bullshit, and then the bosses nicely sit around with their dicks in their hands and let you heal up and take a hit out of their HP before they bother going for you again.

And you have the audacity to rate me butthurt? :lol:
You should probably get off the computer before you ruin your keyboard with tears.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Olinser, I would like to sincerely apologize. I see now that I've expected far too much from you intellectually so I will try my best to write this with instructions so that perhaps you will understand but I'm not going to hold my breath.

TLDR - I'm a From fanboi who sucks their dick and can't respond to actual criticism of the game.

Not really. I enjoy them other than Sekiro and tend to play them to relax rather than to rage. They're really not as hard as some people like to pretend.

Typical From fanboi crap - act like pointing out the poor design is because LUL YOU THINK TOO HARD. No, it's not 'hard' at all. I've already beaten the game and didn't spend more than a handful of deaths on any particular boss.

Congratulations? I mean, it was pretty obvious you had when you were discussing certain late game bosses. Did I not explicitly give you kudos? Well, rest assured that your mother and I both think you're a winner.

And shit, you had to be level 200 to beat the game on normal? And you're talking trash? LUL.

1) Reading comprehension: No, I didn't actually hit level 200. I said you could make it there based on the number of runes collected by screwing around. I tend to buy out shops and buy tons of upgrade mats to upgrade anything I want to mess around with. I understand that reading comprehension is not your forte, but please try to keep up.
2) Logic: I don't need to be good to think that you suck. And are apparently a whiny bitch. But here we are.

As an aside, Mortismal Gaming's review after 100% also notes that you are likely to be between 150 and 200 by end game, depending on how thoroughly you play, etc.

You're nothing special, chum, and in fact sounds like you're trying to front because you're so bad at the game, so you have to frantically pretend that you're somehow good.

I don't recall ever claiming any of this, but here we go with projection again. Please be advised, my username is mediocre poet. I probably don't think I'm great at anything in particular. Also, since I advertise this both in posts and my username, I probably don't care what retards on the internet (this is about you now) think about that. :lol:

I've already beaten all the bosses on NG.

Yes, I understand that. I believe when you said "I've already beaten the game" that that was implied. Do note that my memory lasts longer than 12 seconds and your post was not very long or complex, so you do not need to add redundancy. Most of the readership here does not share your particular limitations.

It doesn't mean most of the endgame bosses aren't poorly programmed shit that rely on HP chunking meme moves instead of actual good design. Most of them have laughable exploits or summons which makes them a joke at any level. The issue with them is that if you do the fights the way From clearly INTENDED, then they're horribly balanced trash. Summon 2x sunbros that have higher than room temperature IQ and the bosses are laughable because From was incapable of programming good fights despite the fact that they put summong in the game.

I guess? I didn't multiplayer at all, but you do you. There's a lot of flexibility in how you approach things as we apparently agree.

You LITERALLY ADMITTED exactly what I said - that the Mohg curse is an idiotic gimmick that kills you ONCE, THAT YOU DIED TO, and then you healspam through it. But then you act like you have some divine revelation of gaming in doing EXACTLY what I said the fight was - a stupid gimmick move for a cheap kill and a joke of a boss the minute you understand the gimmick. I didn't even die and 1 shot him because my brother had actually told me about it and how stupid it was. Just because I 1 shot him doesn't mean he isn't shit design.

Um, not sure where you got that. I don't think it's an idiotic mechanic. It rewards exploration if you want to use that tear or you can heal through it if you like. Apparently in your world taking damage is bad design. :outrage:

The endgame is a poorly balanced mess BECAUSE they give you way too much healing and try to counter it by taking massive chunks of your HP and potentially just 100%ing you. That's horrible game design. The answer was either significantly limit the amount of flasks you can take in a fight to actually make challenging bosses, significantly reduce the healing from flasks if you chain chug them within a short period, or give them actual good and aggressive AI that prevents the player from healing. Instead they went with giant HP chunking moron moves and helicopter bullshit, and then the bosses nicely sit around with their dicks in their hands and let you heal up and take a hit out of their HP before they bother going for you again.

Can you even see the monitor through the tears? Anyway, your schtick is boring as shit. Take care.

DemonKing

Arcane
My 14 year old just started playing over the Easter holidays and beat the Tree Sentinel with his BS teenage reflexes after three tries at a level at least half of mine when I managed to beat him after 10+ tries including ashes…

:salute:

Olinser

Savant
Olinser, I would like to sincerely apologize. I see now that I've expected far too much from you intellectually so I will try my best to write this with instructions so that perhaps you will understand but I'm not going to hold my breath.

TLDR - You've belatedly realized that your LUL GIT GUD shtick wasn't applicable because I already beat every boss in question, and because you can't actually respond to any actual substantive point that I've made about the poor boss design, you're going to simply try to cover your retardation by being a whiny soyboy bitch, act superior, pretend you've 'won' and then run home and cry.

BROFIST!

While critically missing the actual point I was making - that all of the late game bosses are TOO FUCKING EASY, because instead of designing actual challenging encounters, they tried to cover poor design with dumb high damage single gimmicks, and if you understand and counter the gimmick (most easily by the incredibly advanced pro gamer method of giving it a 2nd target that isn't you) the bosses are all jokes, and that the end game is an absolute mess of poorly designed encounters. I should NOT be able to kill their alleged post-endgame superboss Melania at level 165 in 3 tries by simply understanding how to not get hit by Waterfowl Dance. But I did, because that's the ONLY thing that she does that's threatening. That doesn't make me good. It makes it a poorly designed encounter.

But I agree. Your shtick is boring as shit. Enjoy that From fanboi life on your knees!

Olinser

Savant
My 14 year old just started playing over the Easter holidays and beat the Tree Sentinel with his BS teenage reflexes after three tries at a level at least half of mine when I managed to beat him after 10+ tries including ashes…

I mean, if you want to try to maintain your superiority over your spawn, were you different classes? In the extreme early game some of the classes are far, FAR stronger than others because of better stats and starting gear. Pre-50 or so numerical level means far less than appropriately distributed stats.

Caim

Arcane

You know you've succeeded as a parent when your kids are better at video games than you.

Olinser

Savant

You know you've succeeded as a parent when your kids are better at video games than you.

a1b861a7897f31172b2a4769b1413c8c4e6c1e3dedf9bb5a5bff1a9ce7404c5b_1.jpg

Even Sekiro, which I hated because I was terrible at it and hate QTE style gameplay, has many people who love it for exactly this reason.

Sorry but I don't get statements like this, I think it's retarded. If Sekiro has QTE gameplay than so does every other From game. Sounds like something coming from a place of deep butthurt. "I cannot spam dodge button through every attack - game is nothing but QTEs!".

DemonKing

Arcane
I mean, if you want to try to maintain your superiority over your spawn, were you different classes? In the extreme early game some of the classes are far, FAR stronger than others because of better stats and starting gear. Pre-50 or so numerical level means far less than appropriately distributed stats.

I was playing as an Astrologer trying to keep my distance and he manned up and took him down as a Vagabond Knight at close range…not sure if the “power differential between starting classes” argument is going to help me much there…

Except my kids also kick my ass at Mario Kart…they’ve never let me win even once.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So much angst in this thread… I just beat Godfrey on the 4th try and honestly I am enjoying the game tremendously; the open world aspect is fun if a bit plain, the smaller dungeons and caves are a brief diversion to fight a boss and get an interesting item or spell, while the larger dungeons and castles are the quintessential Souls experience with depressed ambiance, hidden secrets and looping unlockable elevators and passages
I daresay that From Software just might have created the most approachable Souls game ever; you can go for a 0 Level run, upgrade to your heart’s content or gank your way with summons, crafted items, special buffs and exploits… the game can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be and I damn love it and once you are used to the mechanics it becomes a fantastic sandbox openworld with the core Souls mechanics
Please stop the fighting and enjoy the game guys; it’s might be best and most enjoyable games I have always played

Silverfish

Arbiter
The answer was either significantly limit the amount of flasks you can take in a fight to actually make challenging bosses, significantly reduce the healing from flasks if you chain chug them within a short period, or give them actual good and aggressive AI that prevents the player from healing.

I don't disagree and was actually surprised when I heard that ER carried over the flask system at all. Due to the open world setup and exploration, this is the one time where the single-use healing items (and subsequent farming when you run dry) from Demon's or Bloodborne would have made perfect sense.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Even Sekiro, which I hated because I was terrible at it and hate QTE style gameplay, has many people who love it for exactly this reason.

Sorry but I don't get statements like this, I think it's retarded. If Sekiro has QTE gameplay than so does every other From game. Sounds like something coming from a place of deep butthurt. "I cannot spam dodge button through every attack - game is nothing but QTEs!".

No, it's specifically about mechanics that have a specific prompt requiring a specific action to respond to such as the kanji for mikiri counter and jump. Arguably the lightning thing from the last boss, and possibly others.

None of the Souls games gives you a symbol saying press button now! That's literally a QTE thing.

Other than that, I have no butthurt about Sekiro, I just didn't like it as I've said. Intimating that it's because I wasn't good at it which I've also repeatedly said isn't exactly a piercing insight.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Another reason why someone might be inclined to describe Sekiro has having "QTE gameplay" when compared to other FS games is that for 95% of the game there isn't that same positioning management that souls got us used to. Putting aside monster-type bosses like the Ogre, Guardian Ape, Demon of Hatred, and Blazing Bull, usually enemies' attacks and patterns only require you to press the right button at the right time, with virtually no consideration for your positioning. Obviously there's the occasional exception (like Lady Butterfly's summons ang Genichiro's jumping bow attack), but maneuvering around enemies does very little for you compared to other FS games and trying to rely on it too much usually leads to degenerate gameplay. Obviously you can defeat enemies only relying on your movements (as no-deflect playthroughs prove), but playing the game like that almost feels wrong because it's clear that it wasn't designed with that kind of playstyle in mind. On the other hand, most souls bosses have patterns that can be avoided simply by correctly handling your movements, without any need for rolling. Keep in mind that I'm not saying this to criticize the game, Sekiro is easily one of my favorite FS titles.

Old Hans

Arcane
It still sounds like it is working as intended. The japs don't have this huge pride thing about whether their summon that is exactly based off the character they are playing beats the bad guy or not.
that's part of the Japanese bushido code. back in the old days, Samuri would hold yearly tournaments where they would have their personal servants fight each other.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The answer was either significantly limit the amount of flasks you can take in a fight to actually make challenging bosses, significantly reduce the healing from flasks if you chain chug them within a short period, or give them actual good and aggressive AI that prevents the player from healing.

I don't disagree and was actually surprised when I heard that ER carried over the flask system at all. Due to the open world setup and exploration, this is the one time where the single-use healing items (and subsequent farming when you run dry) from Demon's or Bloodborne would have made perfect sense.

The estus flasks make sense because you don't want to farm ingredients each time you dies. Imagine doing a low level run with finite ingredients.

I will go one step further: every consumable in the game should be treated like the estus flasks - like they did with the wondrous psychic mix. Maybe one of the only good mechanics in Witcher 3.

The reason is simple: the open world sucks without deep simulation mechanics usually deployed in immersive sims. There is no way to get a good open world without an interesting world simulation.

Elden Ring has no simulation. At very best it has spawning enemies following certain routes and that's it. The world is empty and the exploration sucks balls. Big balls. There is no point in exploring for ingredients for estus flasks.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The estus flasks make sense because you don't want to farm ingredients each time you dies. Imagine doing a low level run with finite ingredients.

I will go one step further: every consumable in the game should be treated like the estus flasks - like they did with the wondrous psychic mix. Maybe one of the only good mechanics in Witcher 3.

The reason is simple: the open world sucks without deep simulation mechanics usually deployed in immersive sims. There is no way to get a good open world without an interesting world simulation.

Elden Ring has no simulation. At very best it has spawning enemies following certain routes and that's it. The world is empty and the exploration sucks balls. Big balls. There is no point in exploring for ingredients for estus flasks.

I enjoyed the exploration for the most part. However, redesigning so that all consumables are now on a limited use basis per rest would tighten up the design a lot. It'd completely change the nature of the game, but probably for the better in several ways such as being able to design for a more or less understood inventory (if I know you have 8 bombs, 3 flasks, and a head that shoots ice beams it's much easier to design an encounter appropriately even if there's still level and weapon variability).

It'd at least be an interesting avenue to try because farming and crafting healing potions wouldn't only be tedious busy work, it'd trivialize things if you could run around with 99 of various healing and regenerating herbs and potions.

Given the abundance of ingredients, practically the only thing stopping you from running with 99 of everything were non-respawning ingredients which there are still a ton of, and the limited pots mechanic. Why not just have limited pots of various types, no ingredients to pick up, you can still find recipes and pots and then just use your pot allocation to pick out which ones you want to carry in your load out?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Given the abundance of ingredients, practically the only thing stopping you from running with 99 of everything were non-respawning ingredients which there are still a ton of, and the limited pots mechanic. Why not just have limited pots of various types, no ingredients to pick up, you can still find recipes and pots and then just use your pot allocation to pick out which ones you want to carry in your load out?

This is exactly what I wanted to say but failed to specify.

mediocrepoet

Patron
One thing I've been curious about is do most of you guys invoke the great runes? I've literally never used it, I tend to forget it exists and then my hoarding mentality makes me not want to even when I think about it.

How long does it last? Until death/rest? Are they worth using?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom