Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Banished knight Engvall is a freaking chad. I can't believe I was fighting bosses with just the jellyfish when I could have had that on my side. This game is way more fun with some light guide usage. I'm looking at the map on the wiki when I think I'm done exploring an area to see if I missed any dungeons. I almost always have missed a few. I resisted doing that last time because I didn't want to ruin the adventure but I just missed all the best stuff and ended up having to grind levels to compensate.

Glintstone pebble + summons is a pretty broken combo. Straight swords are actually better than greatswords because they're much easier to hit with and their stat prereqs are just what my wretch had to start with! Playing like this almost feels like cheating, but if I'm not supposed to use broken OP shit then why are the enemies such bastards? Those giant bears deserve to get 50 glintstone pebbles to their fucking faces.

I'm demolishing enemies that were extremely difficult for me last time. Last time I was level 31 when I killed Margit the Fell Omen. This time I was level 12.
I'm using that summon nearly since beginning of my first playtrought. Level 10 Engvall is great.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a few things I want to work on probably in the next few days from some video clips I took to showcase poise and what trading blows with bosses actually looks like. But for now, please enjoy my effortless victory over three ulcerated tree spirits simultaneously.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't recall Pinwheel being a memorable encounter, but then again I only fought him once each Dark Souls playthrough so don't have as much familiarity with him as a certain other poster. :martini:

Clearly you aren't playing the game as intended. The devs expected you to die fighting it. Are you even trying?
Well, if you went to rescue that girl before you went into depths, you were at low level, and then pinwheel would have time to act. Technically you want to kill moonlight butterfly first for special ember to have decent chance. Then you can go medieval with blessed club and low level character. 15 or so. Or perhaps 25. That area is total PITA at low level, but it's early way to get Graveyard greatsword.
People who do first playthrough blind of course don't know that, and they are lucky if they interact with that coffin.

DemonKing

Arcane
I gotta hurry and finish this thing i'm curious to see this thot in action but i'm purposedly avoiding watching anything so i can face her completely in the dark.

If an ancient, uncoordinated gamer like me can beat her you'll do fine. When I did beat her she wasn't even one of the bosses that I only "just" managed to beat with a sliver of health left and a gasp of disbelief either.

Saying that one of her moves is particularly painful (you'll know it when you see it...and learn to despise it).

mediocrepoet

Patron
I gotta hurry and finish this thing i'm curious to see this thot in action but i'm purposedly avoiding watching anything so i can face her completely in the dark.

If an ancient, uncoordinated gamer like me can beat her you'll do fine. When I did beat her she wasn't even one of the bosses that I only "just" managed to beat with a sliver of health left and a gasp of disbelief either.

Saying that one of her moves is particularly painful (you'll know it when you see it...and learn to despise it).

My honest opinion is that the difficulty is overhyped by millennial whiners who aren't used to not getting free pass participation awards. If you played anything in 80s arcades or from the 8 and 16-bit console eras and liked it, you'll probably be fine.

Vibalist

Arcane
Should they? I think they should play by the same rules as the player. The video actually points out two bosses from Bloodborne and DS3 respectively who do just that.

Vibalist

Arcane

My honest opinion is that the difficulty is overhyped by millennial whiners who aren't used to not getting free pass participation awards. If you played anything in 80s arcades or from the 8 and 16-bit console eras and liked it, you'll probably be fine.

Many of those games sucked and were specifically designed to be unfair-hard so you'd throw more coins into the machine.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Should they? I think they should play by the same rules as the player. The video actually points out two bosses from Bloodborne and DS3 respectively who do just that.

Why should they? They're not players, they're enemies, usually of a far different type than the player. Malenia is a demigod transitioning to a god. Why should she be bound by the same rules as the player who is some sort of ascendant mortal (well, immortal since death has been suspended, but you get the idea).
If you want to play on that sort of playing field, take part in pvp. It's a different experience and more rewarding than screwing around with an AI that can get predictable even if you're like me and don't bother memorizing movesets or attack timing.

Many of those games sucked and were specifically designed to be unfair-hard so you'd throw more coins into the machine.

Difficulty could actually be changed on a per machine basis by the arcade owner on some of the boards. But I highly disagree that they sucked. Either you missed out on the hey day of arcade fighting games or our tastes are hugely different.

Vibalist

Arcane

Why should they? They're not players, they're enemies, usually of a far different type than the player. Malenia is a demigod transitioning to a god. Why should she be bound by the same rules as the player who is some sort of ascendant mortal (well, immortal since death has been suspended, but you get the idea).

This is the case for most bosses in all of the Souls games, but that didn't mean they got to play by their own rules. What it usually meant is that they were larger, faster and stronger than you, but still fundamentally subject to the same 'status effects' as the player (being staggered, being bled, etc.), just with a much higher threshold. This, imho, is how it should work. With Malenia (and other bosses in ER) it's like she just ignores basic fundamentals of the game, leading to an unpredictable and chaotic fight that is just as much down to RNG as player skill.

Difficulty could actually be changed on a per machine basis by the arcade owner on some of the boards. But I highly disagree that they sucked. Either you missed out on the hey day of arcade fighting games or our tastes are hugely different.

Probably.

mediocrepoet

Patron

This is the case for most bosses in all of the Souls games, but that didn't mean they got to play by their own rules. What it usually meant is that they were larger, faster and stronger than you, but still fundamentally subject to the same 'status effects' as the player (being staggered, being bled, etc.), just with a much higher threshold. This, imho, is how it should work. With Malenia (and other bosses in ER) it's like she just ignores basic fundamentals of the game, leading to an unpredictable and chaotic fight that is just as much down to RNG as player skill.

Fair enough. Really, the only one that bugged me was the stagger cancel. The hyper armour bit didn't bug me at all because... if she didn't have it, you could do this (see below). Maybe you're okay with that. It's a big fucking problem in my mind.

Vibalist

Arcane
Point taken, but I think Gideon is way over on the other end of the spectrum. He has low HP, no second phase, is very easily staggered and stun locked, etc. He's basically like a human opponent and not even meant to be boss-level tough.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Point taken, but I think Gideon is way over on the other end of the spectrum. He has low HP, no second phase, is very easily staggered and stun locked, etc. He's basically like a human opponent and not even meant to be boss-level tough.

True. Thing is, you can do it to knights and at least some bosses too and possibly all of them with some consumables. I have something I want to try to test this... Actually, it occurs to me that the stagger cancel is the only thing that would stop you from doing it to Malenia.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Wish I knew about the no input reading on night spells sooner.
Found out about them recently and works wonders on Malenia. Though after you hit her once with night comet she jumps away once or twice so you have to wait for that or else it'll miss. Rock sling and magic glintblade are also very good for that fight as well as ancient death rancor that stagger her almost non stop and can be spammed. Night sorceries are also boosted by the staff of loss by 30%. I think if you have 2 of them and equip them both one in each hand, they stack for a total of 60% though I didn't test this out myself, only read about it.

Caim

Arcane

Wish I knew about the no input reading on night spells sooner. I thought they were only for pvp.

TL;DR version

1: Crystal Darts make imps, watchdogs and golems go crazy and attack one another.
2: Night Sorceries won't be dodged by enemies.
3: Crouch attacks are the same as rolling attacks. Especially useful for halberds (sweeping motions) and colossal swords (quick jab).
4: If you roll while charging a heavy attack on a rapier you do a feint attack and step back. Especially useful with the Frozen Needle, which launches its ranged attack while doing so.
5: Some spells can be cast faster if you use another spell or an attack before casting. Lots of options here.
6: Shabriri's Woe works on the Mimic Tear, leaving you free to pelt the enemy with impunity.
7: Altering armor sometimes changes lore and in a few cases add an effect; the Altered Gravekeeper Cloak will work the same as Shabriri's Woe.
8: You can destroy some of the chariots in the Hero Graves dungeons.
9: Enemies out in the rain will take about 10% less fire damage and 10% more lightning damage. It rains a lot in the main dueling spot in Raya Lucaria, so keep this in mind if you're into PvP.
10: Buffs make you stronger, try a lot of different buffs.

Some of these are pretty interesting, but the last few are meh.

Caim

Arcane
If you want to dress like THE EVER BRILLIANT GOLDMASK, you can find his mask not far from where he is, but if you want to dress like him you'll have to do his quest all the way up into the endgame and before the last few bosses. On a male character the set looks the same, but on a female character, well...

ynaciegu21o81.jpg

No, this is not a mod. And yes, her knees do look like they're about to tell you that together you'll devour the very gods.

mediocrepoet

Patron
If you want to dress like THE EVER BRILLIANT GOLDMASK, you can find his mask not far from where he is, but if you want to dress like him you'll have to do his quest all the way up into the endgame and before the last few bosses. On a male character the set looks the same, but on a female character, well...

ynaciegu21o81.jpg

No, this is not a mod. And yes, her knees do look like they're about to tell you that together you'll devour the very gods.

Easiest "who wore it better?" ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom