Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is EE preferable or not these days for bg2? If you wanna use mods like SCS, does it matter for that, or for UI.

It's preferable because EET (current year version og BGT/Tutu) has the most support for the most (and newest) mods. The EE doesn't bring anything you want by itself, but EET has more current tweak mods etc

Fortunately there are mods to de-EEify relevant parts of the game (such as getting the original 3D movies back, which everyone should deffo do)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
75j9a0c4ik821.jpg

Taim

Educated
What is the DEAL with SCS?!

I was under the impression the changes to the difficulty settings overrode the default game settings - but at Improved (which i assume is mapped to normal in the base game) I get 100% spell learning and max hp on level up - even with that option turned off in the options.

Is this normal? Improved seems to be a nice balance and i'd rather not move up to tactical.

Also the game has been pretty easy so far (no mages fought yet though) and Bassilus seemed as easy as ever - even with the improved option installed - that it makes me question if the damn thing installed properly. Re-installing everything and trying to level up again resulted in the same max hp thing though.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, it's not normal at all, spell learning and hp should not be tied to it , and Bassilus should use more spells (he used flame strike and bone circle last time I fought him).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I can't express how fucking angry this fucking post makes me. I think you should be banned for posting this.

Are the next generation all gonna have Bell's Palsy and this is normalising it?. Maybe the vaccine will wipe out 40 IQ points from the average gamer, and they know they'll all talk like this?. It's like watching two spastics with failed facial plastic surgery double-teaming Greta Thunberg furiously while asking them all to read Shakespeare at the same time. It's like watching Michael Jackson singing while trying to impersonate Marlon Brando in 'The Godfather'. It's like Eric Stoltz in 'Mask' trying to sing karaoke to Tom Jones' 'Sexbomb' song while simultaneously blowing that crossdresser the Codex keeps posting.

Seriously, we need to get Jean Reno to put his sunglasses on and assassinate the fuckers responsible for this. :argh:
:argh::argh:

Edit: Dammit. Fuck. Fuck. How fucking dare they. *Leaves Codex in disgust*

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister

I can't express how fucking angry this fucking post makes me. I think you should be banned for posting this.

Are the next generation are all gonna have Bell's Palsy and this is normalising it?. Maybe the vaccine will wipe out 40 IQ points from the average gamer, and they know they'll all talk like this?. It's like watching two spastics with failed facial plastic surgery double-teaming Greta Thunberg furiously while asking them all to read Shakespeare at the same time. It's like watching Michael Jackson singing while trying to impersonate Marlon Brando in 'The Godfather'. It's like Eric Stoltz in 'Mask' trying to sing karaoke to Tom Jones' 'Sexbomb' song while simultaneously blowing that crossdresser the Codex keeps posting.

Seriously, we need to get Jean Reno to put his sunglasses on and assassinate the fuckers responsible for this. :argh:
:argh::argh:

Edit: Dammit. Fuck. Fuck. How fucking dare they. *Leaves Codex in disgust*

Maybe you taking it too seriously, I think its just suppose to be entertaining :lol:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I remember seeing my first video game as a kid in a mall arcade in the seventies, and I'm talking some shit monochrome two players game, even before space invaders. I thought it was mindblowing ! Seeing this shit video makes me realize how far technology has progressed and how deep humanity as regressed. :(

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I completed BG2 EE ToB today and it was truly an exciting and brilliant gaming experience. I have now played BG1&2 together and I started with BG1 the end of July, I confirmed now on Steam and I have spent 380 hours on these D&D epic games and it was worth every second

These games together score a 80/100 on the globally followed and respected " BruceVC game rating system" and I can imagine what everyone is thinking " thats a high score for BruceVC game rating system " but its a legitimate and scientifically proven score and as I mentioned in a previous post its based on several metrics that include

• I love all games that use the D&D, or similar, rulesets and FR is my favorite setting
  • The high level battles are varied and exciting, it reminds me of D:OS2
  • The overall ToB narrative is excellent where you face different Bhaalspawn and where you have to consider your own dark destiny.
  • Side quests are worthwhile and interesting
  • The party interaction and Romance arcs are very entertaining

The battles with Draconis, Abazigal and finally Melissan were the hardest and most exciting battles in the series. I was able to defeat Melissan, 4th attempt, by using the following tactics

• I used spells like breach,warding whip, ruby ray, pierce shield and dispel magic
  • I used summons that included planetars, golems and mordenkainen's sword to distract her summons
  • I used my HLA to attack with my tanks
  • I found lower resistance spells useful and then I bombarded Melissan with Energy Blades
I also decided to reject the Bhaal taint and its powers, I was confident my character could ignore its evil but I wanted to be mortal and not face the endless divine temptation and enemies that come with it

Great games and highly recommended for all who love party based RPG :salute:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I remember seeing my first video game as a kid in a mall arcade in the seventies, and I'm talking some shit monochrome two players game, even before space invaders. I thought it was mindblowing ! Seeing this shit video makes me realize how far technology has progressed and how deep humanity as regressed. :(
Humanity has become dumber. The technological progress just added more problems of its own.
It's a correlation between the two.

Or maybe they were always regressed, you just as a dumb kid was easy to impress and haven't noticed it?

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I completed BG2 EE ToB today and it was truly an exciting and brilliant gaming experience. I have now played BG1&2 together and I started with BG1 the end of July, I confirmed now on Steam and I have spent 380 hours on these D&D epic games and it was worth every second

These games together score a 80/100 on the globally followed and respected " BruceVC game rating system" and I can imagine what everyone is thinking " thats a high score for BruceVC game rating system " but its a legitimate and scientifically proven score and as I mentioned in a previous post its based on several metrics that include

• I love all games that use the D&D, or similar, rulesets and FR is my favorite setting
  • The overall ToB narrative is excellent where you face different Bhaalspawn and where you have to consider your own dark destiny.

The battles with Draconis, Abazigal and finally Melissan were the hardest and most exciting battles in the series. I was able to defeat Melissan, 4th attempt, by using the following tactics

• I used spells like breach,warding whip, ruby ray, pierce shield and dispel magic
  • I used summons that included planetars, golems and mordenkainen's sword to distract her summons
  • I found lower resistance spells useful and then I bombarded Melissan with Energy Blades
I also decided to reject the Bhaal taint and its powers, I was confident my character could ignore its evil but I wanted to be mortal and not face the endless divine temptation and enemies that come with it

Which characters were in your final party? I always find it hard to decide whom to bring along.

BruceVC

Magister

Which characters were in your final party? I always find it hard to decide whom to bring along.
My main character was a wizard and you right the party selection for me is always one of the most difficult choices because there are so many options and most of them have effective fighting skills and interesting quests and party interaction

But I decided on the following and I based it on overall contribution towards combat and usefulness

Minsc : Tank\Ranged Combat
Saverok: Tank\Ranged Combat
Valygar: Tank\Ranged Combat
Viconia: Healer\Magic User
Vienxay: Thief\Magic User
Me: Magic User

Blutwurstritter

Learned

My main character was a wizard and you right the party selection for me is always one of the most difficult choices because there are so many options and most of them have effective fighting skills and interesting quests and party interaction

But I decided on the following and I based it on overall contribution towards combat and usefulness

I don't like switching my party a lot and never took Sarevok along, since I would have to replace a companion that went through literal hell with me. That just doesn't feel right. I'd really like a mod that would let you recruit/revive him at an earlier stage of BG2. That would be nice. Whom did you switch out for him?

BruceVC

Magister

I don't like switching my party a lot and never took Sarevok along, since I would have to replace a companion that went through literal hell with me. That just doesn't feel right. I'd really like a mod that would let you recruit/revive him at an earlier stage of BG2. That would be nice. Whom did you switch out for him?
Im normally the same as you, I build a connection with my party members and as you mentioned I have loyalty and kinship towards them especially when we face the trials and tribulations in any RPG journey

I dropped Korgan for Sarevok. It was a tough decision but Sarevok is my half-brother and he understood the whole Bhaal legacy and I used to get annoyed with Korgans complaining

Also the party interaction between Viconia and Sarevok was hilarious

Blutwurstritter

Learned

Im normally the same as you, I build a connection with my party members and as you mentioned I have loyalty and kinship towards them especially when we face the trials and tribulations in any RPG journey

I dropped Korgan for Sarevok. It was a tough decision but Sarevok is my half-brother and he understood the whole Bhaal legacy and I used to get annoyed with Korgans complaining

Also the party interaction between Viconia and Sarevok was hilarious
From the party banters I mostly remember Jan Jansen. I didn't like him initially since he comes of as annoying but his bouts with other characters are pure comedy gold.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Jan is awesome. Once he has access to the Use Any Item HLA he can do pretty much anything. Can cast spells. Can backstab. Can lay traps. Can use all kinds of potions and gear normally reserved for Fighters,and the list goes on.

His spell progression is pretty delayed so he won't see his mage HLAs until uber late and really relies on either a lot of resting or wish spam. And traps are so stupidly overpowered that it almost feels like cheating to use.

From the party banters I mostly remember Jan Jansen. I didn't like him initially since he comes of as annoying but his bouts with other characters are pure comedy gold.

He's one of the very few companions in RPGs that is written to funny without ending up cringe. I'm not exactly sure why I've always gotten this feeling compared to other RPGs that tried similar things. I think it's because all of the other companions actually get more annoyed at his bullshit than the player is and so the player ends up laughing because its them getting trolled.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He is a gnome and chaotic neutral. A "trickster" archetype. He just wants to have some fun. His personal quest is also pretty good,and shows a different and more soft-hearted side of him.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's incredible that after 24 years of BG (and playing it almost yearly) I can still go and play the game with party combinations and banter that I haven't heard yet.

And I don't mean with just trashy party members that I'd never take along. I mean with ones that I just never got around to taking along - like Korgan and Keldorn.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
It was a very good decision to make the banters occur somewhat randomly and not packing them into dialogue trees that you can access at any time. I really disliked that in NWN2 and Dragon Age 1, where you basically just went through the dialogue trees once in a while for all the npcs. That felt very gamey and not like having people in a party that have a normal talk once in a while. BG2 did that very nicely with the interjections that are out of direct control for the player.

Yosharian

Arcane
Every time I replay this game I lose enthusiasm for it either after the Underdark or upon starting ToB.

Also the awful frame rate is really jarring these days because of how used I am to 120+ FPS.

If there was a mod that fixed the frame rate I would probably play it again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom