Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer - colorful open world grid-based blobber - now on Early Access

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
the only review on steam mentions:

View attachment 43174

that means this is lame and gay homosexual. very much for catamites.
Then you will probably feel right at home with the game!

There was permadeath originally, but I got so much feedback from the demo version complaining that the game was too hard.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
At the moment there is a possibility to have more challenge: don't use Camping Gear as it revives fallen party members. Without Camping Gear you'll either have to use reviving potions or travel back to the nearest temple. Sure, there is no permadeath in a sense that you will lose a party member permanently, but the bottom line is that you already have an option to enjoy more challenging experience.

But I will bring a change to the camping system with the next update and the change is going to be that there will be two different sets of Camping Gear:

1. Basic: restores hit and energy points, but doesn't revive fallen party members.

2. Premium: Revives fallen party members and restores hit and energy points.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
A short video showcasing new enemy animations (attack, damage, status effect), which will come with the next update, at least to the enemies shown in the video:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
A new update is live! This one will bring a new character class and also gives player a chance to choose gender for certain classes, hire two mages and priests (female and male), rename party members when hiring them and so on...

Patch notes can be found here:

Steam: Patch Notes

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
It won't be long before the next update arrives and this time it will bring some UI changes to the table: 'quick bar' to access usable tools such as lanterns, more visual inventory, new item icons and enhanced minimap frame. Some screenshots in spoiler tags.

Screenshot (1267).png

Screenshot (1266).png

Screenshot (1270).png
Screenshot (1272).png

Screenshot (1251).png

Screenshot (1252).png

Screenshot (1253).png

Screenshot (1254).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
There's a new update coming in the next ten days. It finally brings something I've wanted to add since the beginning: Combat rows for the player's party. Now it is easier to protect caster characters by placing them in the back row.

Characters 4, 5 and 6 are assigned to back row in the beginning of each battle. If front row characters die, back row characters replace them in the front row. The back row order is that the character 4 is behind character 1, 5 is behind 2 and 6 is behind 3. If fallen front row character is revived, the back row character that replaced him returns to back row.

This will mean that enemies' melee attacks (except some special skills) won't reach the back row and characters in the back row can't use melee weapons.

NEW STUFF:
- Visual inventory (with own category for keys, so they don't mix up with quest items)
- Icons for all items, equipment AND status effects
- 'Quick Bar' for tools, such as torches, lanterns, camping gear and hour glass (Wizard's Tower update will introduce a new tool in the near future)
- Row System for combat, which slightly changes combat mechanics with ranged and melee damage
- New Character Class: Conjurer. Like Mages and Priests, Conjurer has also it's own sub-classes: Summoner and Necromancer.
- New enemy Bandit Archer
- Faster mouse plugin
- Performance improvements

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Here are more details about the upcoming Conjurer and Combat Rows update, which brings a new character class, visual inventory, item & status effect icons, combat rows, optional instant movement, new enemies!

Steam: Update Announcement

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Conjurers and Catacombs update has been released and it brings more than I revealed earlier: new dungeon Cemetery Catacombs, new shop for Conjurers and new side-quest content.

Also in 3,5 hours (8pm EET) Chronicles of Vaeltaja will get 30% discount at Steam.

Patch notes are in spoilers.

Added

• New character class: Conjurer
  • New dungeon: Cemetery Catacombs
  • New shop: All Night Charms
  • New side-quest
  • New armor: Outlaw Armor and Fine Conjurer's Robes
  • New enemies: Bandit Archer and Outlaw Marksman
  • Visual inventory
  • Item & Status icons
  • Category for keys in the inventory
  • Quickbar for tools
  • Row system for the player's party
  • Instant movement (optional)

Tweaks/Changes

• Separated melee and ranged damage and adjusted enemy skills to these damage types
  • Changed Whips to be effective from the back row also
  • New torch animations
  • Adjusted torch and lantern lighting
  • Changed new texture to Hearth of the Gods Inn's fireplace
  • Changed faster mouse plugin
  • Optimization

Fixes

• No need to press 'forward' when trying to activate doors, npcs or levers after turning towards them
  • Possessed Tree's attacks and skills fixed
  • Hermit dialog fixed (Marsh of the Condemned)
  • Halls of Onkalo Floor 2 north-eastern door fixed
  • A bug that prevented Knight's class skill from appearing in the skill list

Known Issues

• There are some strange behaviour in settings menu, for example new Instant Movement setting has to be activated with 'space' or controller button (same goes with deactivating)
  • Some settings resets each time game is launched and for example Instant Movement must be activated every time the game is launched
    (I've located the issue behind this behaviour, but haven't been able to fix them yet.)
  • Some strange behaviour with old saves may happen, for example hired party members may appear in the Castle Town, but they can't be hired twice (that will only lead to losing coins)
  • If you're already assigned tools for hotkeys, quickbar may show old icons before assigning those tools again

Link to the announcement:
Conjurers and Catacombs update

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Here's a video released couple of hours ago that I think shows the current version of CoV better than any of the videos I've made so far. It also sums quite good the reasons why I'm making the game: joy of discovering and figuring stuff out on your own pace.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I released a small surprise update just a moment ago.

PATCH NOTES

Added:

• Small hidden Catacomb dungeon in one of the secret areas of Twin Falls Forest North
  • Outlaw Armor, Outlaw Helmet, Studded Outlaw Armor and Studded Outlaw Helmet to Shadow Merchant's inventory
Fixes:
  • Combat Row System: backrow characters will now replace fallen front row characters
  • Main character learns Guide skills normally

The game is still in 30% discount at Steam

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
The next update is shaping up nicely and it will bring some interesting things.
For starters buildings in the Lake Road will get new wall textures and Pramean Lighthouse will finally get proper ceiling textures. The next main dungeon Wizard's Tower arrives and introduces a whole new exploration mechanic that is needed to overcome the dungeon, but it will have use in other places too. Fast travel will be introduced properly and at least three new enemies will be added to the game.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

jdinatale

Cipher
I bought this game today and am very frustrated with the lack of a map, aside from the tiny mini-map in the corner. I left the starting town and got lost in the woods and could not find my way back to the starting town. Are there any plans to add a world map? I am finding the game unplayable as is.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I bought this game today and am very frustrated with the lack of a map, aside from the tiny mini-map in the corner. I left the starting town and got lost in the woods and could not find my way back to the starting town. Are there any plans to add a world map? I am finding the game unplayable as is.
At the moment there is no big world map (of the whole game world), but 'tab' brings you a map of the area you are currently into. The map system is not the best possible yet, but I'm planning on improving it in the future. When starting a game there should be an item called 'Guide's Handbook' in the inventory, which will tell the key bindings.

And thanks for supporting this game!

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I added a proper gameplay trailer in the game's Steam page. It showcases mostly the first overworld areas, some dungeons and some things you can do (treasure digging, ore mining). In the end of the trailer there's a little glimpse of some enemies coming with the Wizard's Tower update next month. I will make an announcement of the update in few days.

I uploaded the trailer to my Youtube channel also, but the processing made the first 15 seconds of the video very low quality, so I link the Steam version here: Chronicles of Vaeltaja Gameplay Trailer

The game has improved a lot since I released it last October and the next update will add even more content, depth and improvements.

Already in the game:

• 10 character classes: Guide, Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Shadow, Priest, Witch, Knight, Witch Hunter and Conjurer.
  • Secondary classes for Mage (Warlock/Wizard), Priest (Healer/Saint) and Conjurer (Summoner/Necromancer).
  • Combat rows for player's party.
  • Several overworld areas full of exploration: Twin Falls (Castle Town, Castle Field, Riverside Northern & Southern parts, Forest Northern & Southern parts, Beach, Witch Grove), Great Forest (Northern & Southern parts), Pramea (Town, Shore, Jungle, Smuggler's Cove), Marsh of the Condemned, Lake Road.
  • 10 dungeons (some of them are optional).
  • Over 20 enemy types and few boss enemies.
  • Treasure digging & ore mining
  • Multiple main and side quests
  • Lots of secrets, puzzles and floor traps
  • Eight weapon types (daggers, swords, axes, maces, whips, staves, bows, crossbows)
  • Four armor types (light, medium, heavy, robes)
  • Other equipment such as rings, necklaces, cloaks and gloves
  • Tools such as torches and four different types of lanterns and more will be added in the coming updates
  • 'Quickbar' for tools, such as torches, lanterns, camping gear and hour glass.
  • Day/Night cycle.
  • Optional 'Instant Movement'.
And everything is hand-crafted, so there's no procedural generation used to create the game world.

Here's the Youtube version also:

Last edited:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I just released an update which brings graphical enhancements to almost every building interior in the game. There are some other changes too and details can be found at Steam: Patch Notes

The game is currently -30% at Steam Spring Sale.

Screenshot (1417).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Now that Wizard's Tower and Interior Overhaul updates are released, I want to share some light on what's coming with the next updates I've been planning.

- There are some 'quality of life' features that I've been asked and most popular has been the quest journal. At the moment I'm looking into it and trying to figure out how much work it takes to implement it. So it is definitely coming, though I can't promise it will come with the next update, but it's high on my priority list and I've already done some groundwork for it.

- Lake Road is not fully finished yet, so it will also get more content in the coming updates.

- I'm also already working on the next main story dungeon, but it's still work in progress.

- Crafting. Those who have already solved the situation in Pramea may have noticed that Blacksmith opens his workshop in Northern Riverside and is willing to forge weapons if ore is provided. I'm not entirely happy about how it is implemented, so I'm thinking about bringing some slight changes to it to make it better.

- More Eye of an Oracle secrets. I've already planned some secret areas and other stuff all around the gameworld that will utilize the Eye of an Oracle to give more depth to exploration. I will bring these also in the coming updates.

- The last character class. I've been designing the last character class for some time now and it's proven to be quite challenging, so it might take more time than I thought it would. The last character class will be 'Shapeshifter'.

These are the things I'm currently working on and these next couple of weeks will show me what the next couple of updates will include. The next update should come on April and I will give more details in the coming weeks.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
The next update will finally bring the quest journal. I've already added it to all the main quests and some side-quest, but there's still some work to be done on it (for example better quest descriptions) and of course testing. The release date for the update is still a mystery to me, but it will be released sometime next month. There's couple of WIP screenshots of the quest journal in the spoilers, also couple of pictures what the town of Pramea looks like at night after the Interior Overhaul update I released this month.

Screenshot (1421).png

Screenshot (1422).png

Screenshot (1410).png

Screenshot (1411).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
There's going to be some graphical enhancements coming to Twin Falls' areas forest textures with the next update. I will make the proper announcement of the update with some details during the next week, but here's some screenshots.

Screenshot (1470).png

Screenshot (1471).png

Screenshot (1473).png

Screenshot (1474).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Also the Lake Road will be overhauled with the next update.

Screenshot (1487).png

Screenshot (1489).png

Screenshot (1490).png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom