Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yup I put 5 classes now... fun :)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Just made an invincible starting build in HotU lol

6 Monk, 9 Cleric, 2 Shadowdancer, 2 Paladin
Starting build? You only get 15 levels to start with in HotU. Frankly, Paladin or Fighter seems unnecessary. IIRC, you're trading massive XP requirements for not that much of a benefit.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
If you want to be SUPER overpowered. Try Monk 1 Cleric X you can even drop the Monk level.

HoTU is a bit of a superhero campaign anyway. You really want caster levels if you wanna use divine power. It last six seconds per caster level.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Just made an invincible starting build in HotU lol

6 Monk, 9 Cleric, 2 Shadowdancer, 2 Paladin ...

Monk builds are indeed very tanky and a good choice if you are going for indestructibility above all else. Though HoTU is also quite easy so it is not that hard to make a build that is hard to kill there.

That combination of classes is going to give you an XP penalty. That is not necessarily a fatal flaw, particularly in an environment with respawning encounters that can be farmed, but seems less than ideal. Though again HoTU is easy enough being a bit underleveled probably does not matter.

Both DEX and WIS boost your unarmed AC, and HP are important for a tank, so I would probably spread ability points a bit more evenly between WIS, DEX and CON.

HoTU is a super high magic environment. You can find items giving you outright immunity to most anything you would need to save against so I am not sure such a massive emphasis on boosting saves is really necessary. Actually I am not sure it would be necessary anyway since saving throw boosts can soon reach a point of diminishing returns (unless you also turned off auto-fail on 1 in addition to removing the class limits).

Improved Invisibillity is indeed a very good buff, perhaps second only to Haste which is a must have buff if anything is. However, w/HoTU being so high magic you should not have difficulty finding items with permahaste. You might want to replace Travel domain with Strength domain, since your build apparently is relying heavily on Divine Power for offensive capability.

Kamas are typically a better choice than fists as a weapon for Monks. This is especially true in HoTU, where the smith you encounter in Ch. 2 can give massive upgrades to weapons, but not to monk gloves.

... Do you guys know of any modules with a high starting level? Like 30+ or so. Something where I can play this build. Thank you

The Sands of Fate series arguably offers the best high level modules that are stand alone and not part of a larger series. The Mines of Twin Summit might be another possibility though that series was really more oriented for multi-player. Also though that series eventually takes you into high epic levels I think you are supposed to start it at c. lvl 15. Ghool's adaptation of Tomb of Horrors is a good module aimed at higher level characters, but it is just one adventure, not a series that will take you to level 40. Also if you are playing it in single player you ideally want a build that meets certain specific requirements, IIRC.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
EE tried to implement a more pnp-ish version of uncanny dodge; to quote the wiki: "As of Enhanced Edition patch 1.74, uncanny dodge II grants immunity to sneak attacks from a flanking attacker unless the attacker has at least four more combined class levels of rogue, assassin, barbarian, and shadowdancer than the defender. (blackguard levels are not counted.)"

Yes, in DE, Uncanny Dodge II doesn't work that way and in EE a few dips in those classes is not going to stop you from being flanked. In my experience, Uncanny Dodge I is still great to have for a Dex build, arguably essential in many cases.

Also, from my viewpoint, no module exists that would be a challenge to such a build or to be a challenge when using that mod to create your own party. Not a modder but I do think such things would perhaps be possible in Aurora, however the general lack of combatfag module authors makes it unlikely IMHO. I'd add that, from my experience with other 3e dnd games, it's tough to balance for a player created, multi classed party.

I'd prefer either no multi classing like Kotc1 or perhaps a limit of 2 classes or BG style where you create your PC and the module author creates NPC companions you could choose from depending on your build/play style or some combination thereof.

Would not be as fun from a buildfag perspective but would be far more reasonable to balance for, Id personally prefer that over being able to create OP builds.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
For a DEX-based build, sure, but I wouldn't consider a starting DEX score of 13 to be a "DEX-based build".

Gargaune

Magister
Something I've been wondering - is there a NWN mod that adds ranged magic weapon types? Like a staff that attacks with a cantrip? As it stands, when a mage isn't casting, they're using darts or slings or bows or they're closing to melee with their "magic" quarterstaff. Wands and rods exist, but they're just multiple-charge scrolls that sit in your inventory. Fundamentally, a 1d4+1 Ray of Frost ain't all that different from a 1d4 sling bullet, but it would be cool just as a flavour thing.

You could just add an unlimited supply of Ray of Frost charges to a staff, but you'd still have to activate it every turn instead of it being the default attack.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Something I've been wondering - is there a NWN mod that adds ranged magic weapon types? Like a staff that attacks with a cantrip? ...

A builder can create in the unmodded toolset a weapon that more or less does that: make a custom weapon and add the "No Combat Damage" property as well as an "On-hit Cast Spell" property for whatever spell you want. It would not work at range, though, so maybe not what you want.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
For a DEX-based build, sure, but I wouldn't consider a starting DEX score of 13 to be a "DEX-based build".
I just meant in general. This build could probably do without the 2nd lvl of SD but I'm not sure what his plan is on armor but as others have pointed out, I don't think it matters much.

I'll also mention you risk having an even easier time overall because of the XP penalty. Nwn will scale to the highest lvl member of your party though but I don't recall offhand if the henchmen can ever out lvl you like they can in certain parts of SF for instance. Again this is also something that probably doesn't matter.

Gargaune

Magister
Something I've been wondering - is there a NWN mod that adds ranged magic weapon types? Like a staff that attacks with a cantrip? ...

A builder can create in the unmodded toolset a weapon that more or less does that: make a custom weapon and add the "No Combat Damage" property as well as an "On-hit Cast Spell" property for whatever spell you want. It would not work at range, though, so maybe not what you want.
What about extending baseitem.2da? I saw there are two old mods that makes rods and wands equipable, one uses them as blunt weapons. I'm thinking copy the Magic Staff (or the Wand or the Rod) entry to a new one, keep the model, swap it over to a range attack and create items with the OnAttack* listener spellcast. Maybe even give it a new animation if something fits... I'm not sure whether it would be possible to key APR progression to Int or Cha, nor how animation timing would work if APR scaled up.

Alternatively, I was thinking about making it shoot unlimited elemental bullets, but that would involve an actual ranged attack against AC rather than using it as a proxy for a cantrip cast, in which you case you'd definitely want to scale it to Int or Cha.

Either way, I'm guessing it'd probably look a bit goofy since the spell animation's point of origin would be the player, who wouldn't be playing a casting animation.

EDIT: Actually, a bit of a problem that it's an On-Hit handler... Been a while since I looked at this, but yeah, would definitely involve landing a successful hit on the enemy. Then again, maybe I'm overthinking it, would just want a nice flavour weapon for a mage, it could work just like any Dex-based ranged weapon with some extra graphical sparkles.

Lacrymas

Arcane
luj1, you can avoid the xp penalty by going Blackguard 2 instead of Paladin 2 and get the CHA bonus to saving throws that way. This "more than 3 classes" thing really confuses me in the context of NWN1, lol.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Since recently it's a setting you can change in NWN:EE, I put 4
Yeah, I know, I'm just saying it still confuses me because I've been playing this game for like 15 years and it has always been 3. As for the xp penalty, you have 3 base classes, human only prevents the xp penalty for 1 class.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Right

Well I actually performed the following modifications,

- multiclass into 4 classes instead of 3 (via ruleset.2da)
- removed EXP penalty for multiclass (pick any race you like) (via classes.2da)
- enabled maximum HP per level from level 1 (via game options)
- enabled natural 1 and 20 (critical failure and critical success) (via game options)

I consider this mandatory for playing NwN from now on

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
Hm, the dodge feat appears to be busted. Doesn't work on any of my toons, started a new game, it still doesn't work.

Doesn't add +1 AC to the stat sheet, and I had a character with the feat get hit on their stat sheet AC with a matching roll. Hit roll was 33, the same as on their stat sheet. Wasn't sure based on the wording if it would be added to the stat sheet as shown on the NWN2 character builder site.

Weird that such a basic talent was bugged.

notpl

Arbiter
Is it possible you were denied your AC bonus to dexterity at the time of the attack?

Gargaune

Magister
That rang a bell so I checked too and no, Dodge's +1 isn't showing up on the charsheet. The +1 from Luck of Heroes does, but Dodge is a no-show. Didn't check in combat, but the first NWN did calculate Dodge into your displayed AC.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I found a really good way to get some crazy saves at level 1

Monk Human
Take Luck of Heroes + Strong Soul at first level

or Fighter Elf
Same + you get +2 vs. mind-affecting racial too

TedNugent

Arcane
Is it possible you were denied your AC bonus to dexterity at the time of the attack?

99% this. You need Uncanny Dodge or this will happen the vast majority of the time
Tested this with Neesha against some Gargoyles. She had 28 AC buffed, with Uncanny Dodge and Dodge.

Hits were only scored with 28 or above, but indeed, 28 were hits.

A couple of things about this. Neeshka also has 26 points in Tumble, which should afford her another +2 AC, yet it doesn't seem to do shit.

Weird, since when I got 10 points of Tumble on my MC, he went +1 AC on the stat sheet.

Both dodge and Tumble AC appear to not be working. Note, NWN2builder has both of the AC bonuses show up on your stat sheet in summary screen. Tumble description also is worded in such a way to suggest that it should be added to the character sheet, since it's not described as a dodge or dexterity AC bonus and shouldn't be affected by flat-footed (or it's just a shitty tooltip).

Weirdly enough, though, I also had a few misses scored at hit rolls of 28 (including when they were sole targets attacking each other in sequence), which doesn't make any motherfucking sense at awl. Attacks below 28 were definitely misses, so it wasn't an issue with flat foot registering improperly or Uncanny Dodge not working as intended.

Monk Human

or Fighter Elf
Steadfast Determination allows you to stat-dump Wisdom. Pretty good value, but it does require Toughness. Effectively you gain +1 Fort and Wis per Con point, which is a no-brainer for anything that doesn't use WIS for spellcasting.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

99% this. You need Uncanny Dodge or this will happen the vast majority of the time
Tested this with Neesha against some Gargoyles. She had 28 AC buffed, with Uncanny Dodge and Dodge.

Hits were only scored with 28 or above, but indeed, 28 were hits.

A couple of things about this. Neeshka also has 26 points in Tumble, which should afford her another +2 AC, yet it doesn't seem to do shit.

Weird, since when I got 10 points of Tumble on my MC, he went +1 AC on the stat sheet.

Both dodge and Tumble AC appear to not be working. Note, NWN2builder has both of the AC bonuses show up on your stat sheet in summary screen. Tumble description also is worded in such a way to suggest that it should be added to the character sheet, since it's not described as a dodge or dexterity AC bonus and shouldn't be affected by flat-footed (or it's just a shitty tooltip).

Weirdly enough, though, I also had a few misses scored at hit rolls of 28 (including when they were sole targets attacking each other in sequence), which doesn't make any motherfucking sense at awl. Attacks below 28 were definitely misses, so it wasn't an issue with flat foot registering improperly or Uncanny Dodge not working as intended.

Monk Human

or Fighter Elf
Steadfast Determination allows you to stat-dump Wisdom. Pretty good value, but it does require Toughness. Effectively you gain +1 Fort and Wis per Con point, which is a no-brainer for anything that doesn't use WIS for spellcasting.
oh im playing NwN 1

dont like NwN 2

TedNugent

Arcane
Alright, fuck, I finally finished the NWN2 OC.

That was rough, it's scary to think that this many bugs persist in this game after two expansion packs. Encountered a few gamebreaking bugs, luckily I saved frequently.

There's decent quality overall, but the core game mechanics fight you at literally every step of the way. There are so many encounters that would have been cool as fuck, with great multilayered terrain, ambushes, interesting mechanics, but they were spoiled by the fact that the entire party descends into a confused blob by the introduction of a corner or a corridor. Casting AoE spells is an absolute mess in at least half of the encounters, no wonder friendly fire is turned off by default on "normal" mode. I was really looking forward to chewing through MotB and SOZ, now not so much. But I will carry on through.

Does every one of these games need a keep management minigame/gold sink?

Since NWN2 is built on the same engine, it's kind of a shame that both of these games received such strong community support and that they're both based on a solid version of D&D. Is NWN1 as buggy as this shitpile? I honestly don't remember the combat in PS:T being anywhere near this bad, and that has a really bad reputation for some reason.

Snufkin

Augur
Alright, fuck, I finally finished the NWN2 OC.

That was rough, it's scary to think that this many bugs persist in this game after two expansion packs. Encountered a few gamebreaking bugs, luckily I saved frequently.

There's decent quality overall, but the core game mechanics fight you at literally every step of the way. There are so many encounters that would have been cool as fuck, with great multilayered terrain, ambushes, interesting mechanics, but they were spoiled by the fact that the entire party descends into a confused blob by the introduction of a corner or a corridor. Casting AoE spells is an absolute mess in at least half of the encounters, no wonder friendly fire is turned off by default on "normal" mode. I was really looking forward to chewing through MotB and SOZ, now not so much. But I will carry on through.

Does every one of these games need a keep management minigame/gold sink?

Since NWN2 is built on the same engine, it's kind of a shame that both of these games received such strong community support and that they're both based on a solid version of D&D. Is NWN1 as buggy as this shitpile? I honestly don't remember the combat in PS:T being anywhere near this bad, and that has a really bad reputation for some reason.
Some time ago Nwn EE received updated that lets you see how aoe spells will hit by highlighting ground.

Gargaune

Magister
Encountered a few gamebreaking bugs, luckily I saved frequently.
I don't remember much in the way of gamebreaking bugs. Except for maybe the Trial sequence, I think that could jam up badly but I never encountered it myself.

Since NWN2 is built on the same engine, it's kind of a shame that both of these games received such strong community support and that they're both based on a solid version of D&D.
A shame "that" or "because?" 'Cause "that" makes it sound like you're upset about two of the games' selling points. Just move on to MotB and you should have a better time, should've followed the standard advice to drop the OC if it was getting frustrated.

Is NWN1 as buggy as this shitpile?
No, Obsidian's work on NWN2 was notoriously rough and brittle, whereas BioWare's first NWN was generally very fit for its purpose. That purpose, however, didn't really include single-player party-based combat, unfortunately. You have limited control over AI companions and they ain't the brightest, go in expecting more of a "solo plus benefits" experience.

Some time ago Nwn EE received updated that lets you see how aoe spells will hit by highlighting ground.
He's talking about NWN2, which already had AoE indicators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom