Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Turn_BASED

Educated
I wanted to let everyone know about a new Persistent World that was just released, called Ever Cursed. Here's the server info as provided by the dev on the NWN subreddit 11 days ago:

"Ever Cursed is essentially classic Everquest set in the world of Dark Souls. 3 continents with all of the areas from DS1, some areas from DS2 and 3, and mentioned lands such as Astora, Carim, Catarina, Zena, Jugo, and plenty more. From the Dark Souls side of things there are bonfires, souls, covenants, secrets and puzzles, summons, titanite and ember upgrades, and a main story quest. From the Everquest side there is meditation, bandages, corpse runs, no mini map, rare drops from rare enemies with placeholders, quests, epic weapons, and a difficult, hostile world designed for grouping (though difficulty, souls gained, and rare spawns scale based on how many players are in the server, meaning soloing and progressing is easier if the population is low).

You might have seen or even checked out the beta version that was soft-launched in October, but all characters from the beta will be wiped when the server launches January 12th.

If this sounds like your kinda thing, I hope to see you there!"

The server launched on the 12th as planned and is really unique. There's no NWSync but the dev managed to really capture the world of Dark Souls with just vanilla NWN assets. Maps are disabled, zones are massive and require lots of trial/error when exploring. More info can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EverCursed/

There's more to the server than that - lots of mechanical changes that are done to make things more Dark Souls-like. Humanity and souls are needed to level up, summon creature is changed, covenants offer unique benefits through items, etc. Server pop is really low right now as it's brand new and there are a few rough edges, like getting stuck on some odd terrain, but the dev is happy to jump in and help if you're stuck.

Discord server is here: https://discord.gg/u5yz7xvfFB

Gargaune

Magister
God damnit, ran into a new EE bug - my multiclass Cleric/Rogue is rolling UMD to use Cleric scrolls. I disabled all mods, checked across multiple modules and, most importantly, also crossed off the DE, this is clearly an EE-specific issue.

Anyone around here got a GitHub account to put in a bug report on the tracker? Wouldn't need to say much, it's pretty clear-cut:

Multiclassed casters with Rogue levels and Use Magic Device are incorrectly rolling UMD checks to use scrolls of their own caster class. The issues was tested with a Cleric 11 / Rogue 3, 6 ranks in UMD, using a scroll of Divine Power (Cleric spell) and was fully reproducible on any official or fan modules on the Enhanced Edition. The same behaviour was tested on the Diamond Edition and it did not occur.

The Vault crew's working on a new patch for the game, so might be worth a shot.

Hold up, the plot thickens, see further down.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
I'm actually not encountering this in EE (Tried in HotU and PGC). It appears to be a standard edition bug? It's mentioned on the nwn wiki on the scroll page and talked about in the comments: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Scroll
Thanks, that helps! Did you try it with an arcane multiclass? Per what you linked as well as the UMD page (I had looked at it but glossed over that second note), this behaviour is specific to non-arcane spellcaster/rogues, so that might account for why you're not seeing it. Are you running the stable 87.8193.35-40 or the new Beta?

It doesn't explain why I'm not encountering it on the DE, though... Fresh test character (same as the EE, copied over), tried HotU, DoD, Swordflight and a local module and I got no UMD check. The discussion you linked mentions a fix at some point, but I certainly don't recall ever installing a specific mod for it. I have the 1.69 critical rebuild in my storage but I don't remember whether I actually installed it and I doubt it would've dealt with this issue anyway.

In any case, it looks like this isn't an EE bug, but a BioWare "feature." I don't know in what world it could count as "intended behaviour" but, eh, what can you do? Unfortunately, whatever fix was mentioned on that talk page is probably as gone as the BioWare forums.

Sabotin

Scholar
I just did a quick experiment with clr/rog cause I was curious. I'll take a more thorough look when I have time since it seems this also depend on game difficulty or when the module was made etc. Who knows if there's other stuff, like which class the character starts as or what's leveled up latest or if the character is pregenerated or any other oddity...

Gargaune

Magister
I just did a quick experiment with clr/rog cause I was curious. I'll take a more thorough look when I have time since it seems this also depend on game difficulty or when the module was made etc. Who knows if there's other stuff, like which class the character starts as or what's leveled up latest or if the character is pregenerated or any other oddity...
Damnit, that was it! My EE is set on D&D Hardcore difficulty, but when I tested the DE it was on Normal. That's why I wasn't getting any UMD check regardless of module. I've tested it again on DE HotU with core rules and it applies, using a scroll triggers a UMD check. So, to summarise, I'm getting the exact behaviour as laid out by the wiki:

You must make a DC check of 25 + the level of the spell to cast a spell from a scroll if the difficulty mode of the game is set to Hardcore or higher. [...] The special check for using a scroll at hardcore difficulty or higher does not apply to scrolls with no class limitations, to characters with at least one bard, sorcerer, or wizard level, nor to characters who have the spell in question prepared (ready to cast). It does apply to all other characters who have at least one level in rogue, shadowdancer, or assassin, even if that character has a class that is allowed to use the scroll normally.

Fortunately, the scroll talk page nominates exactly which script I need to look at: x2_pc_umdcheck.nss. Reading through the script's comments, the problem is that BioWare's check for whether a PC "knows" a spell is (explicitly) interpreted as whether it's "memorised", rather than available in their class spellbooks.

So let's talk about fixing it. The proper thing to do would be to check against the full class spellbook, but I don't know of any script function that checks off the top of my head, nor have I been able to find a relevant .2da that lists which classes get what spells, any clue what that is? Alternatively, could leverage divine spells' lack of spellcasting failure (albeit this would still be subpar since Clerics, Paladins and Druids would get access to one another's scrolls), but again I don't know what table defines these spell properties, any idea?

Last edited:

Sabotin

Scholar
Shadooow fixed this in the community patch. The full script is in the download, but here's the relevant snippet:
Code:
    // -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // 1.70: if the caster has any class that is spell scroll limited to, he can cast without UMD
    // -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    itemproperty ip = GetFirstItemProperty(oItem);
     while(GetIsItemPropertyValid(ip))
     {
      if(GetItemPropertyType(ip) == ITEM_PROPERTY_USE_LIMITATION_CLASS)
      {
       if(GetLevelByClass(GetItemPropertySubType(ip),oCaster))
       {
       return TRUE;
       }
      }
     ip = GetNextItemProperty(oItem);
     }

Mud'

Scholar
I wanted to let everyone know about a new Persistent World that was just released, called Ever Cursed. Here's the server info as provided by the dev on the NWN subreddit 11 days ago:

"Ever Cursed is essentially classic Everquest set in the world of Dark Souls. 3 continents with all of the areas from DS1, some areas from DS2 and 3, and mentioned lands such as Astora, Carim, Catarina, Zena, Jugo, and plenty more. From the Dark Souls side of things there are bonfires, souls, covenants, secrets and puzzles, summons, titanite and ember upgrades, and a main story quest. From the Everquest side there is meditation, bandages, corpse runs, no mini map, rare drops from rare enemies with placeholders, quests, epic weapons, and a difficult, hostile world designed for grouping (though difficulty, souls gained, and rare spawns scale based on how many players are in the server, meaning soloing and progressing is easier if the population is low).

You might have seen or even checked out the beta version that was soft-launched in October, but all characters from the beta will be wiped when the server launches January 12th.

The server launched on the 12th as planned and is really unique. There's no NWSync but the dev managed to really capture the world of Dark Souls with just vanilla NWN assets. Maps are disabled, zones are massive and require lots of trial/error when exploring. More info can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EverCursed/

There's more to the server than that - lots of mechanical changes that are done to make things more Dark Souls-like. Humanity and souls are needed to level up, summon creature is changed, covenants offer unique benefits through items, etc. Server pop is really low right now as it's brand new and there are a few rough edges, like getting stuck on some odd terrain, but the dev is happy to jump in and help if you're stuck.

Gonna try it tonight, sounds pretty cool

Gargaune

Magister
Finished my replay of DoD EE with the OHS and NUISW mods installed, figure it's worth drawing a line under it. And I tell you what, wouldn't go as far as saying it's like you're playing a different game, but it's a much changed experience, there's a new focus to your party planning and play-by-play and it's exciting even if you can bend the balance over a barrel if you choose to.

nwn-ohs-nui-haxx.jpg

"I am the mighty Gorgomorz, mortals, tremble and... What? Shadowkitty and the Three Lawful Neutral Dwarf Fighters who Hate Elves and Wear Boots of Speed?! Fucking HAXX!"

First off, DoD's an excellent choice to use OHS with because:
  • It's an open-world map that lets you establish a home base early (the start is literally one battle and a couple of conversations away from the Happy Cow tavern in Daggerford, and later in the game you get your own stronghold);
  • It's a self-contained module so you don't have to bother with carrying henchmen across, just the initial setup when you start playing;
  • The only two default henchmen have very little to offer in the way of dialogue or quest interactions, so you're not missing anything by replacing them with your own meat puppets;
  • It's a mid-level adventure that's a bit stingy with loot, merchants have a lot of good stuff but your earnings will only ever let you pick up a couple of top-shelf items, so while the greater party versatility is a serious threat to balance, gear distribution can partly make up for it.
And OHS, in turn, has a discreet but welcome synergy with NUISW because the ability to roll your own party (and command them with the EE's new henchmen controls!) really opens the game up to spellslinger PCs like never before, so you'll get plenty of use out of that quickcast menu.

As for how the two mods perform, their caveats, I'd make the following observations:
  • My biggest problem with OHS is that custom henchmen seem to have a broken mode trigger for Search/Stealth - they turn it on when you do, but then don't also turn it off and you gotta do it manually from each radial menu. It's not a major problem in DoD, where stealth setpieces are rare and passive perception is enough for most traps, but I could see it getting quite annoying in other modules;
  • Like I mentioned earlier, OHS companions don't seem to get dismissed in "solo PC" setpieces, so they'll trivialise such rare encounters, but at least they won't get lost either;
  • The one severe issue I ran into with OHS was upon the party getting de-polymorphed at the end of a quest, which caused Link Boy (whom I'd set to the dog disguise) to become invisible and impossible to interact with (i.e. he reset to a null appearance rather than an invisible one). I resolved this by snooping around the OHS code and writing a quick DM script to reset him to his default appearance (code below), but I could see this being an issue for less technical players;
  • As for NUISW, the recurring issues were the ones I outlined earlier: failed spellcasts won't correctly decrement visible spellslots, the menu tends to toggle itself off on various events, and you gotta manually cancel your attack action if it's queued up in front of the spellcast. To alleviate the first two, macro the command sw:toggle to one of your hotslots and you'll be able to call that function instantly, without expending an action.

Design-wise, my only gripe with OHS would be how Link Boy's introduction is handled - when you first rest with the mod loaded, he'll pop up and join your party. You can either ignore him and let him tag along (he's invulnerable and non-combative, though the new EE controls can command him to attack and he can get in your way) or issue a chat command to dump him then and there, but I think it might've worked better if that first rest just gave you an item to summon him instead. I'd also be tempted to give him a smaller appearance with smaller collision, like the new tiny rat one in the EE, might look at making that change for myself.

TL;DR: Do it! Get the OHS Henchman System, get the NUI Spell Widget, enable the EE's player-party-control in settings.tml, and go to town. Darkness over Daggerford is an excellent option to first try it out on. And roll a backline spellslinger, obviously, to take full advantage of NUISW and your new, custom vanguard.

Oh, and here's the fix I promised:
Create a new module in the Aurora Toolset with OHS loaded as a module hak or in override, open a new script in the editor and paste the below code in (punctually edited from the original), then save and compile it as ohs_resetvisual. Keep the Toolset running and navigate to your /modules/temp0/ folder in Windows Explorer, find ohs_resetvisual.ncs and .nss and copy them into your override or insert them in your patch hak, whichever you're using, then close the Toolset. Load your bugged save, enable DebugMode and enter dm_runscript ohs_resetvisual, Link Boy should become visible again with his original default appearance.

Code:
#include "ohs_i0_linkboy"

// Set the linkboy disguise to nIndex in ohs_linkboys.2da
//void OHS_SetLinkboyDisguise(int nIndex)
void main()
{
  int nIndex = 0;
  object oLinkBoy = GetNearestObjectByTag("OHS_LINKBOY", GetFirstPC());

object oTorch = GetItemPossessedBy(oLinkBoy,"OHS_REDTORCH");
  if (!GetIsObjectValid(oTorch)) oTorch = CreateItemOnObject("ohs_it_torch");
  int bNoTorch = (Get2DAString("ohs_linkboys","HasTorch",nIndex)=="0");
  SetLocalInt(oLinkBoy,"OHS_TORCH_NOT_VISIBLE",bNoTorch);

int bShowTorch = FALSE;
  //ActionPauseConversation();
  if (GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_LEFTHAND)==oTorch)
  {
    bShowTorch = TRUE;
    ActionUnequipItem(oTorch);
    ActionWait(0.5);
  }
  ActionDoCommand(SetPortraitId(oLinkBoy,StringToInt(Get2DAString("ohs_linkboys","Portrait",nIndex))));
  ActionDoCommand(SetCreatureAppearanceType(oLinkBoy,StringToInt(Get2DAString("ohs_linkboys","AppType",nIndex))));
  int nName = StringToInt(Get2DAString("ohs_linkboys","Name",nIndex));
  //string sName = OHS_GetStringByLanguage(nName,GetPCSpeaker());
  string sName = OHS_GetStringByLanguage(nName,GetFirstPC());
  ActionDoCommand(SetName(oLinkBoy,sName));
  ActionWait(1.0);
  if (bNoTorch==FALSE && bShowTorch==TRUE)
  {
    ActionEquipItem(oTorch,INVENTORY_SLOT_LEFTHAND);
  }
  //ActionResumeConversation();

FloatingTextStringOnCreature("Appearence reset.", oLinkBoy);
}

Turn_BASED

Educated

Gonna try it tonight, sounds pretty cool
A few observations after playing it:

- Mobs have ridiculously high saves that drop as they receive damage, this is to prevent mages from save-or-die’ing monsters that would take a melee dude several rounds to kill. There’s a good balance to this.

- as a result, DC casting is useful for finishing moves but not initial damage. No save nuke spells are generally more useful (igms, etc.). For cleric, sun domain to access more casts of searing light is very useful as it receives awesome damage multipliers against undead

- scepters(cleric)/magic staves(wiz/sorc and maybe bard?)/Druid staves multiply spell damage and are expensive. AoE spells don’t get multiplied most of the time, though. Single target spells usually work. Oddly enough, using a sunburst and then turning undead will apply the multiply damage on the turn undead.

- cleric and paladin characters have a different origin and quest line focused on killing undead. Turn undead is very helpful to scare some really nasty undead minions away.

- barb rage adds an extra attack per round, maybe more as you unlock additional rages, not sure as my barb is low lvl still. Also there’s a chance to get earn a rage back when receiving damage.

- There are tons of quests to be discovered.

- When starting out, avoid enemies above challenging difficulty. You will need to dodge stuff that will sodomize you as you make your way to firelink shrine/majula

- Lore is necessary as merchants will not ID items for you. You’ll either need to do it yourself with the help of an ID scroll or have a mage do it with a buff to lore from wizard school.

- Some enemies have true seeing, which means you can’t just sneak past

- You’ll run across white summon signs that turn summon creature I / IV / VII (and maybe more) into different NPCs from the games

- You can respec your character one time in Things Betwixt.

- The game revolves around getting a quest, going to do it and getting your ass kicked, then grinding to get gear/levels strong enough to complete it. Finding a good grind spot by exploring the map is a big part of the gameplay loop and quite rewarding because…

-…there is no minimap and each zone is typically huge, leading to genuine moments of discovery and danger. Teaming up with others when they’re online is recommended as this is not an easy server by any means, especially at low levels.

- dodging/tanking traps in dungeons should be expected. They are especially deadly to low hp spellcasters who can die in 1 hit, forcing a corpse run so as to not lose your 7 million gp staff.

That’s off the top of my head, there’s plenty of epic loot to discover that really puts your character up to the next level and enables you to challenge new content. Overall, it’s totally unique and brutal, which is a much needed change of pace for NWN PWs.

Spike

Educated
Must-play pen-n-paper conversion modules? I know Pool of Radiance is supposed to be a good one. I want to play classic pnp campaigns in a video game format, without an actual DND party. I was playing one a couple years ago (I think one of the Against the Giants ones?) and it was very enjoyable.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Must-play pen-n-paper conversion modules? I know Pool of Radiance is supposed to be a good one. I want to play classic pnp campaigns in a video game format, without an actual DND party. I was playing one a couple years ago (I think one of the Against the Giants ones?) and it was very enjoyable.

Some of the better PnP conversions:

N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God
UK2 - The Sentinel
S4 - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Udasu has also made a good number of conversions, that are of varying quality but usually above average.

While I'm here trying to vote in GotY, played some modules. I mention easy a lot which I don't actually consider much of a negative for NWN because it's such a sloppy mess with the wiggling movement animations triggering AOO and shit combined with the braindead companion AI I tend to prefer NWN adventures on the easier side since the game feels too loosey goosey to want precision. Even if NWNEE does let you control companions a bit now which is nice.

Siege of Shadowdale enhanced: Fast leveling, ultra easy, nice use of CC, kinda fun to have a higher level party doing stuff with scrub PC cleanup. Fun/10.

Crimson Tides of Tethyr enhanced: Also super easy, city had a bit too much empty space and running around since NWN cities often have to settle on scope or usability, merchants with infinite gold and high price caps means you'll get fucking loaded, fun highish level mercenary story and the twist was enjoyable. Even more fun/10.

Tyrants of the Moonsea enhanced: YET AGAIN easy, world map was nice, great CC, fun companions, some good bullshit that puts me in mind of HotU for high level Forgotten Realms.

Prophet series: Annoyingly linear considering how much fun I was having but it hits the sweet spot for me for NWN balance. Not quite as pushover easy but most stuff's within reach with judicious use of consumables. Good use of optional higher difficulty bosses with some cool loot, too. Biggest complaint is I lost my companion around the start of part 2 since I didn't fully map out a particular zone and didn't see his rotting ass moldering in the corner to raise so I no doubt missed out on some banter since it was only near the end of part 2 that I finally checked to see what the fuck happened and had to console command back there to raise him and bring him back into it. Part 2 subsequently was harder since my pure mage didn't have a companion handy as a meatshield since I killed the other one I got in that module. Also bonus points for some good use of in-engine cutscenes, can be a fine line to tread with those. Prophet's combat encounters also feel unusually swarm-heavy with enemies that tend to be tolerably dangerous, definitely was a good one to play a wizard in since I doubt cleaving would've been sufficient. Unfortunately even with good writing there's a bit too much fantasy bullshit going on. There are some points where you're paid off for reading through fantasyland history but most of the time it's not interesting enough to justify. That's mostly true for Forgotten Realms games too, but they get the tiniest bonus in interest. Excellent/10.

Aielund saga's first couple parts: Simple hack and slash fun. Also fond of large swarms of enemies (Thus far) but you also get a large party with you which leads to some fun rumbles. Good for if you want to casually beat things up for a long period with a single character/10.

4DFFE38BCE62B21400E42E68A2B752D1F0E2417F

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
the wiggling movement animations triggering AOO

Not sure exactly what you're referring to here. The only thing I can think of is when attacked your character will move backwards and could move back behind a corner or obstacle like a pillar and then enemies will trigger an AOO moving around that obstacle when attacking. The other thing I've noticed is enemies/henchmen triggering AOOs when your character/henchmen are getting surrounded but decide to attack a target that they can't reach from their current position and they have to move to be in position to attack.

I've never had AOOs trigger for no reason as far as I can tell.

Edit: I forgot about how when you click on an enemy and run at them, you trigger an AOO. You can avoid that by waiting for enemies to come closer to you or walking towards them by holding down shift.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated

Some of the better PnP conversions:

N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God
UK2 - The Sentinel
S4 - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Udasu has also made a good number of conversions, that are of varying quality but usually above average.
Fantastic, thank you...When Swordflight Part 6? :F
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/module/eye-beholder
Cool.
While I'm here trying to vote in GotY, played some modules. I mention easy a lot which I don't actually consider much of a negative for NWN because it's such a sloppy mess with the wiggling movement animations triggering AOO and shit combined with the braindead companion AI I tend to prefer NWN adventures on the easier side since the game feels too loosey goosey to want precision. Even if NWNEE does let you control companions a bit now which is nice.

Siege of Shadowdale enhanced: Fast leveling, ultra easy, nice use of CC, kinda fun to have a higher level party doing stuff with scrub PC cleanup. Fun/10.

Crimson Tides of Tethyr enhanced: Also super easy, city had a bit too much empty space and running around since NWN cities often have to settle on scope or usability, merchants with infinite gold and high price caps means you'll get fucking loaded, fun highish level mercenary story and the twist was enjoyable. Even more fun/10.

Tyrants of the Moonsea enhanced: YET AGAIN easy, world map was nice, great CC, fun companions, some good bullshit that puts me in mind of HotU for high level Forgotten Realms.

Prophet series: Annoyingly linear considering how much fun I was having but it hits the sweet spot for me for NWN balance. Not quite as pushover easy but most stuff's within reach with judicious use of consumables. Good use of optional higher difficulty bosses with some cool loot, too. Biggest complaint is I lost my companion around the start of part 2 since I didn't fully map out a particular zone and didn't see his rotting ass moldering in the corner to raise so I no doubt missed out on some banter since it was only near the end of part 2 that I finally checked to see what the fuck happened and had to console command back there to raise him and bring him back into it. Part 2 subsequently was harder since my pure mage didn't have a companion handy as a meatshield since I killed the other one I got in that module. Also bonus points for some good use of in-engine cutscenes, can be a fine line to tread with those. Prophet's combat encounters also feel unusually swarm-heavy with enemies that tend to be tolerably dangerous, definitely was a good one to play a wizard in since I doubt cleaving would've been sufficient. Unfortunately even with good writing there's a bit too much fantasy bullshit going on. There are some points where you're paid off for reading through fantasyland history but most of the time it's not interesting enough to justify. That's mostly true for Forgotten Realms games too, but they get the tiniest bonus in interest. Excellent/10.

Aielund saga's first couple parts: Simple hack and slash fun. Also fond of large swarms of enemies (Thus far) but you also get a large party with you which leads to some fun rumbles. Good for if you want to casually beat things up for a long period with a single character/10.

4DFFE38BCE62B21400E42E68A2B752D1F0E2417F
Appreciate the recs! I think I want to play Aielund and Swordflight before going into the other non-pnp ones but definitely will remember these (I emailed myself with a list of everything mentioned in this thread so far).

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Finished my replay of DoD EE with the OHS and NUISW mods installed, figure it's worth drawing a line under it.

And I tell you what, wouldn't go as far as saying it's like you're playing a different game, but it's a much changed experience, there's a new focus to your party planning and play-by-play and it's exciting even if you can bend the balance over a barrel if you choose to.

Very interesting, respect

TedNugent

Arcane
Hey bros, I finally got NWN2 up and running on Lutrix/Wine, and found that it has an annoying interface issue with the mouse cursor disappearing, but only in fullscreen mode.

Innerwebs says it has something to do with mouse trails in Windows settings, so I added a registry key for that, set the binary value to 0, didn't work. Tried turning off hardware mouse, that just disabled the mouse completely.

Mouse works perfectly in windowed mode under my native resolution, however. Has anyone experienced this in Windows?

ds

Cipher
Patron
Is there any reason not to use windowed mode with your fullscreen resolution? It's not like X11 has an exclusive fullscreen mode anyway so the difference is only how the game behavior (e.g. minimizing when alt tabbed).

TedNugent

Arcane
Hm, never mind, I guess I just needed to reboot my PC after the registry edit.

It wasn't working in "Windowed (Virtual Desktop)" mode at my native resolution in WINE runner options in Lutris, that was my initial issue. Now it's working with that setting and fullscreen in the in-game options.

That was after I added the registry key for mouse trails with the binary set to 0 and rebooted the machine. Not entirely sure if that's what did it but it seems the most likely (not about to reverse it to check). Wasn't working until reboot. Interesting that WINE includes a registry editor, but the actual WINE Control Panel is super stripped down.

Anyway, off I go.

I never finished the OC campaign, and I've heard a lot about Mask being good, so I'm gonna play all three if I don't get sick of playing an old crusty D&D game.

Question for anyone - I realize that it's generally advisable to have speech check abilities in game, but I was keen on playing a troglodyte fighter for this run-through of the OC, since who cares and the plot was kinda dumb the last time I made it about halfway through. Is it important to capitalize on speech check skills in Mask/Storm to get the richest experience, or should I just play it like another D&D dungeon crawler, similar to BG1, and play it with whatever class/skill archetype I like?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom