Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
What are some of the modules with the best, most interesting combat encounters? Tnx

In addition to my stuff, which you already know about and which perhaps is really more about limited resources making the attritional effects of even routine encounters matter than it typically is about making any specific encounter especially interesting, you can find some of NWN's most challenging encounters in the Blackguard series and in Sapphire Star.

Shadows of Darkmoon has some interesting encounters in it. Unfortunately the author made a revised and expanded EE version that appears to be rather buggy, and then apparently disappeared, so not sure how much luck you would have with it.

Balkoth's two short modules, Siege of the Heavens and A Peremptory Summons have scripted boss fights that are among the most interesting available in NWN, though they involve some action game/MMO raid-style ideas that may not be to everyone's taste.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Speaking of HotU, what is the best SoU -> HotU bridging module? I know which one won the competition, but is it really the best one?

I did some research on this,

The best bridge modules are:

The Nether Scrolls (official winner)
Shadohaunt (official runner-up)
The Shadow Queen (second runner-up)

I tracked down the names of four more that took part in the contest:

Out of the Shadows (puzzle heavy)
Attack of the Shadow Clones
Echoes of the Undrentide
Shadow Relic

And the best post-HotU modules:

Sands of Fate
The Pawns of Darkness

Perhaps someone here could chime in.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

VHS9000

Novice
Speaking of HotU, what is the best SoU -> HotU bridging module? I know which one won the competition, but is it really the best one?

I did some research on this,

The best bridge modules are:

The Nether Scrolls (official winner)
Shadohaunt (official runner-up)
The Shadow Queen (second runner-up)

I tracked down the names of four more that took part in the contest:

Out of the Shadows (puzzle heavy)
Attack of the Shadow Clones
Echoes of the Undrentide
Shadow Relic

And the best post-HotU modules:

Sands of Fate
The Pawns of Darkness

Perhaps someone here could chime in.
Sands of Fate has no plot connections with HotU, it is “post-HotU” only high-level wise. Also SoF is pretty dry on writing and world-building. The only memories I have of this is pointless grind through the crowds of high-level formians ans lizard-men (which are no different from low-level ones) and kinda well detailed city in second chapter.

Best post-HotU module is After the End - Penumbra with well developed horror/investigation vibe and catchy blanks for bigger scale plot. Sadly it is only the first chapter of never finished series.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sands of Fate has no plot connections with HotU, it is “post-HotU” only high-level wise. Also SoF is pretty dry on writing and world-building. The only memories I have of this is pointless grind through the crowds of high-level formians ans lizard-men (which are no different from low-level ones) and kinda well detailed city in second chapter.
I enjoyed my limited run of this.
Granted my barbarian would not have been especially optimized to deal with the challenge it offered, which is likely why I enjoyed it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Granted my barbarian would not have been especially optimized to deal with the challenge it offered, which is likely why I enjoyed it.
Were there many casters?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Were there many casters?
More monsters than people, so probably had some casters.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Were there many casters?
More monsters than people, so probably had some casters.
What would D&D be without some casters ruining everything, yeah?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Probably a game where people have to think their way out of problems instead of wishing their problems away.

Launching a fireball out of invisibility isn't "wishing" problems away, it's skilled application of the Art.

When you say think their way out of problems, do you mean use stealth, terrain, environment, traps, etc to your advantage in combat?

Either way, I think most players/fans of fantasy in general prefer worlds with magic users present even if they are only there as antagonists. They make everything more interesting imo.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Probably a game where people have to think their way out of problems instead of wishing their problems away.

Launching a fireball out of invisibility isn't "wishing" problems away, it's skilled application of the Art.

When you say think their way out of problems, do you mean use stealth, terrain, environment, traps, etc to your advantage in combat?

Either way, I think most players/fans of fantasy in general prefer worlds with magic users present even if they are only there as antagonists. They make everything more interesting imo.
Problem is the Art is simply insanely overpowered.
Always has been a problem with high level D&D magic. It simply goes off the rails and spirals into complete insanity.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
That's true and was an issue since the conception of Dnd. Gygax always wanted to nerf magic users in various ways because he knew they'd become the most powerful characters in the party even when playing at relatively low lvl. He always preferred a Conan style hero/party and didn't see the appeal in magic users, he opposed the magic missile spell never missing as well.

There are certainly ways to nerf casters a bit in Dnd in general but yes the whole system would have to be overhauled to balance high lvl play between casters and non casters. At the same time, not having everything perfectly balanced is the fun part for many players not just in Dnd but similar games in general.

Sabotin

Scholar
Has anyone played NWN2 recently? The 3D sounds seem to be very low volume compared to the 2D, even though the slider is all the way in favor of 3D. I saw there's some scaling options in the install folder nwn2.ini but there isn't one for fx, just music and voice.

Gargaune

Magister
Has anyone played NWN2 recently? The 3D sounds seem to be very low volume compared to the 2D, even though the slider is all the way in favor of 3D. I saw there's some scaling options in the install folder nwn2.ini but there isn't one for fx, just music and voice.
Not lately and I've never noticed anything off about NWN2's sound, but I just spun it up to have a look and I have three Sound Providers in Options: Direct3D 7, Miles Fast 2D (this one's selected by default), and RAD Game Tools. The first two seem to behave the same on a quick check, but the RAD one muted 3D sounds altogether for me (got no character barks on selection). So maybe have a look at that.

Just Locus

Educated
I just installed NWN2 recently, I'm not planning on playing it for long until I've finished several NWN1 campaigns (and by 'several' I mean 'several of the ones I've started').

Is there anything non-spoiler related that I should look out for?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there anything non-spoiler related that I should look out for?
Don't expect much from the OC even though there are some interesting and endearing moments here and there. Make sure to interact with every mine deposit you find. Explore everything once it becomes available and before you continue with the main quest. There are some unbeatable Persuasion checks but there's no way to know which ones. MotB is great. Storm of Zehir is worse than it appears at first glance.

Sabotin

Scholar
Take some time to set up camera, keybinds etc., it's likely you'll be unhappy with the defaults. Some buttons are sort-of wrongly labeled (turn camera button actually scrolls instead in tactical camera mode). And a UI mod is almost required if you play at 1080p+ resolutions.

Gameplay wise nothing special that I can recall, standard RPG fare.

Btw, I've vastly ameliorated my sound issue by maxing out the volume sliders ingame and then lowering the total app volume in windows.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
That's true and was an issue since the conception of Dnd. Gygax always wanted to nerf magic users in various ways because he knew they'd become the most powerful characters in the party even when playing at relatively low lvl. He always preferred a Conan style hero/party and didn't see the appeal in magic users, he opposed the magic missile spell never missing as well.
Every time someone wanted to play a Monk in Advanced D&D - I would point out that the monks ultimate ability - quivering palm - which must score a hit, miss a save for the victim, and can only be used once a week - a mage of the same level could cast 2 disintegrate or death spells spells a day - in addition to the 23 other spells the mage can cast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom