Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

MerchantKing

Learned
Maybe nwn 2 is where helmets give crit immunity. Or OG BGs.
nwn 2 did alien program the camera I don't believe how did that get through every corporate structure bullshit
I started game then immediately uninstalled
Even worse, Obsidian programmed the camera.

Nm6k

Scholar
Hey I want to try out Swordflight as a "I do as I must for the greater good" LN Elf mostly pure wizard. From what I read I know that good resource management is essential and that taking a few levels in Rogue will help with skills so is there any other advise you all have?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I have a weird problem with NWN2 (GOG version), I can't customize AI behaviour for companions, including turning AI off. Nothing happens when I click any of the options. Plus, a lot of tabs are called "Silence", I don't think this is intended. Anyone else have this problem?

Gargaune

Arcane
I have a weird problem with NWN2 (GOG version), I can't customize AI behaviour for companions, including turning AI off. Nothing happens when I click any of the options. Plus, a lot of tabs are called "Silence", I don't think this is intended. Anyone else have this problem?
Odd, never encountered anything like that, the mislabeled tabs make me wonder whether you installed any mod with a custom .tlk file, would start by checking that. If that's not it, try emptying your Override folders (both in Documents and the install path), and if that still doesn't do it, try reinstalling and make sure it's in a non-Program Files location.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally got around to playing Swordflight, and Zarala is a blue skinned thing?
How come no one mentioned that anywhere?

codex account

Educated
Hey I want to try out Swordflight as a "I do as I must for the greater good" LN Elf mostly pure wizard. From what I read I know that good resource management is essential and that taking a few levels in Rogue will help with skills so is there any other advise you all have?
you can solve chapter 1 with expertise also as a wizard those are free if not melee go for improved from the start buff summon for entire chapter kill yourself for resting
you should have 30 for free if I remember in the inn pour entire money in barkskin potion later in the chest you get 2 of each buff for free
if you don't mind reloading for better roll you might have better time with bandits drag the potions on portrait of summon
if you need any help in chapter 1 ask me I played it dozens of times
in chapter 2 money will become unlimited and you can chug freely everything
you don't really need expertise as wizard in chapter 1 cuz you should never be near enemies
I don't know what build you're using going 19 int than max str
or max int con or whatever advice might change depending upon that
actually 19 int is too much 18 should be enough don't remember from top of my head need to check highest buff

Last edited:

Nm6k

Scholar
I finally got around to playing Swordflight, and Zarala is a blue skinned thing?
She is a Air Genasi who I only really know about thanks to them being playable in NWN 2. Don't think I see them outside out that and Swordflight

codex account

Educated
you can solve chapter 1 with expertise also as a wizard those are free if not melee go for improved from the start buff summon for entire chapter kill yourself for resting
you should have 30 for free if I remember in the inn pour entire money in barkskin potion later in the chest you get 2 of each buff for free
if you don't mind reloading for better roll you might have better time with bandits drag the potions on portrait of summon
if you need any help in chapter 1 ask me I played it dozens of times
in chapter 2 money will become unlimited and you can chug freely everything
you don't really need expertise as wizard in chapter 1 cuz you should never be near enemies
I don't know what build you're using going 19 int than max str
or max int con or whatever advice might change depending upon that
actually 19 int is too much 18 should be enough don't remember from top of my head need to check highest buff
actually summoner isn't that viable vanilla but rogueknight buffed them so that might work till chapter 5 but I don't know
wizard you can melee or damage shields or save or die or pure damage so choose one I guess

codex account

Educated
I've realized the best advice for Swordflight magic builds is to tell people to kill themselves
people tend to forget to kill themselves I guess it's gamer pride to never die

codex account

Educated
I can give advice for chapter 2 take imp familiar cause it's probably the best against fire beatles
those were the strongest enemies for me but familiar can be changed every level so whatever

codex account

Educated
Thanks for the advise codex account
I think I forgot the most important advice tell zarala stand your ground also to stay in stealth all the time
only negative is using henchmen like that if you don't have spot skill high enough you might miss them cause they will be invisible
zarala in her cell for example so think about that It's reported to rogueknight as a bug frequently
in chapter 2 there will be strong evil henchmen you can easily buy them magic gear and use them normally if you wish not to solo
also in chapter 2 its recommended for everyone to be a summoner near basilisks

codex account

Educated
wizard rogue is pretty interesting as challenge start in swordflight cuz if you min max and take rogue on first level
and also do 18 int can lead to high levels of FUN in the inn
anyway anyone critique my split 32 wizard 7 rogue 1 monk

codex account

Educated

codex account

Educated
did you take 18 str for your barb
18 or 17. Probably beefed up con as well. Be in the upper twenties by end game anyway.
barb 40 should have 40 str min 18 +10 +12 default settings
and yeah 18 str rest con is the min max
also that 40 is without great str epic feats so 47 str so yeah str 17 is optimal I guess cuz will end with 46 has to be even
my brain not working as always but that +1 more useful early

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... I don't know what build you're using going 19 int than max str ...

Mostly good advice here but if you are primarily a mage there is no reason to boost strength beyond the minimum you need to carry stuff without excessive difficulty. You can kill enemies with spells and summons and hardly have reason to actually use a weapon. Get INT as high as reasonably possible for bonus spells and more skill points. DEX and CON are also useful.

I've realized the best advice for Swordflight magic builds is to tell people to kill themselves

Taking advantage of the respawn system to rest is indeed an often overlooked option.

codex account

Educated
... I don't know what build you're using going 19 int than max str ...

Mostly good advice here but if you are primarily a mage there is no reason to boost strength beyond the minimum you need to carry stuff without excessive difficulty. You can kill enemies with spells and summons and hardly have reason to actually use a weapon. Get INT as high as reasonably possible for bonus spells and more skill points. DEX and CON are also useful.

Taking advantage of the respawn system to rest is indeed an often overlooked option.
I don't even know why I've written that but it wasn't meant as advice just a statement what build maybe he has
stuff like tensers can get dispelled maybe does it?
but optimal wizard is propably 18 INT rest CON STR should be 6 all extra points into INT in epic just get what your need and again epic INT for more
and race not human not elf the small one
also now that I think about it if it is wizard rogue build rogue taken at level 1 6 STR might be hard reaching level 2 in the inn but whatever
talking about swordflight here of course I think I might try that soon for a bunch of FUN
is there enough non combat exp there?
STR should never be taken on mostly pure wizard but also might be more rogue levels than expected
my split for that I've written above wiz 32 rogue 7 monk 1 or something else for the last dip
if I'm doing melee I wouldn't take classes that are not full bab before 20

Last edited:

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Odd, never encountered anything like that, the mislabeled tabs make me wonder whether you installed any mod with a custom .tlk file, would start by checking that. If that's not it, try emptying your Override folders (both in Documents and the install path), and if that still doesn't do it, try reinstalling and make sure it's in a non-Program Files location.

Emptying the Override folder fixed the problem, thanks.

Are the advanced AI options worth it, or should I just leave AI off? There's e.g. scaled casting mode, is the AI competent at judging what spell levels to use?

rubinstein

Educated

Emptying the Override folder fixed the problem, thanks.

Are the advanced AI options worth it, or should I just leave AI off? There's e.g. scaled casting mode, is the AI competent at judging what spell levels to use?
i used to play nwn2 with AI on, usually on clasic dnd or very hard difficulties, but with:
- casting disabled (except warlocks)
- using items and healing items disabled
- switching weapons disabled
- autolockpicking/disabling traps disabled
sometimes the AI was vanilla, sometimes the unofficial modules had this ai mod by tony_k already embedded.
these limitations add micro, but without it you may be eating your own fireballs casted by trigger-happy sorcs or drink all the healing potions during the first encounter of the dungeon. for me ai is the most useful for automatic feats use, switching targets (still the heroes should listen to your queued orders if they arent interrupted by anything), ranged heroes backing up when endangered. perhaps i was underutilizing the AI, especially the improved one, but i just prefer having control over my heroes during the encounters. im definitely interested in other takes.

Gargaune

Arcane
My suggestion is turn it off and play the game IE-style. See the guide in my sig if you want more detailed advice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom