Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This is for displays/monitors with HDR. On non-HDR displays poor default brightness levels n NWN:EE might not be an issue. My TV is HDR so I have no way to test either. The Prefer Layered on DXGI Swapchain trick supposedly works for all games with Vulkan/OpenGL where HDR isn't working for some reason. It forces it on.

codex account

Educated
now I kinda want some guy with a lot of money and a expensive camera to do a comparison nwn ee top of the line CRT 4K HDR 3000 dollar top tv
all the crap any rich codexer wanna be like that linus guy or some retro random dude

Jack Of Owls

record a video from your phone if you have to and don't have a pursuit camera or some bullshit like that

codex account

Educated

VHS9000

Novice
On Aielund: it’s big, diverce, well produced, pretty decent in writing but sometimes feels excessive. All the quest for Sceptre of Ages is just the one big filler leads to nowhere.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Bastard of Kosigan is a great one but be prepared for a random bug to hard lock your progress.

Gargaune

Arcane
This is for displays/monitors with HDR. On non-HDR displays poor default brightness levels n NWN:EE might not be an issue. My TV is HDR so I have no way to test either. The Prefer Layered on DXGI Swapchain trick supposedly works for all games with Vulkan/OpenGL where HDR isn't working for some reason. It forces it on.
Comparing the DE and the EE on my non-HDR screen, I can't say I've noticed a difference in brightness. There is a difference in tile colour lighting, which is softer and more subtle on the new lighting model, but not general brightness. I did try your setting just out of curiosity, but I only seemed to notice some added microstuttering.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Comparing the DE and the EE on my non-HDR screen, I can't say I've noticed a difference in brightness. There is a difference in tile colour lighting, which is softer and more subtle on the new lighting model, but not general brightness. I did try your setting just out of curiosity, but I only seemed to notice some added microstuttering.
I can't even get DE to run anymore on my i9/RTX 3070-based rig without massive framerate/refresh rate/resolution issues. Luckily, EE runs quite smoothly on my rig whereas it ran like crap with the same system on my old Vizio 60Hz TV. The G-sync/VRR features of my current display seemed to fixed the problem. If I ever need to play a module with DE because it's incompatible with EE I'm SOOL unless I want constant jitter 'n' stutter and lower resolutions..

Gargaune

Arcane
Unrelated, someone on the Vault just posted a bunch of screens from their WIP PW project, look how cool this stuff is:

image0.png
blubb.jpg
image2.png
image4.png
image9.png

Remind me, why do we need other RPG engines?

codex account

Educated
Unrelated, someone on the Vault just posted a bunch of screens from their WIP PW project, look how cool this stuff is:

image0.png
blubb.jpg
image2.png
image4.png
image9.png

Remind me, why do we need other RPG engines?
I'm not a graphics fag but I'm wondering are there any good mods that improve the graphics?
do you have Nvidia card EE can do 2-8 supersampling with one of those 4k oled tvs 8 times would be 32K resolution and might look ok
use nvidia inspector and use the same values for both ie 2 mutisample 2 supersampling or 4 and 4 or 8 and 8
2 times is not recommended 8 times might be redundant also fps
also must be supersampling not sparse grid
because this game is opengl not directx
and if it is blurry lower lod bias I have -3 global

Last edited:

codex account

Educated
I can't even get DE to run anymore on my i9/RTX 3070-based rig without massive framerate/refresh rate/resolution issues. Luckily, EE runs quite smoothly on my rig whereas it ran like crap with the same system on my old Vizio 60Hz TV. The G-sync/VRR features of my current display seemed to fixed the problem. If I ever need to play a module with DE because it's incompatible with EE I'm SOOL unless I want constant jitter 'n' stutter and lower resolutions..
pester the original module makers to port to EE even if you have to call their home
problem solved for free
or pay someone to port to EE

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

I have levelled up and praying worked again temple of selune
your guide says this
you can gain some XP by praying here. If you return to pray after leveling up, you might get another XP boost, but this is not certain.

so does this work on some script with a very high chance or what
cause I got it level 5-10 everytime so I it felt like a bug
well anyway thorik still doesn't offer smithing
but well 400 xp I don't care or maybe I did it already 2nd time

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... so does this work on some script with a very high chance or what ...

IIRC correctly it something like a 1 in 3 chance of resetting each time you level up. I guess you were just rather lucky from levels 5-10.

The main advantage of smithing for Thorik is not the small XP reward, but opening up access to the anvil in his store that you can use to modify your gear if your crafting skills are high enough, and getting it restocked when you smith for him on subsequent occasions. Your description of what you were doing was a little confusing so I am not sure whether the issues are some sort of bug or you doing something wrong or what.

codex account

Educated
... so does this work on some script with a very high chance or what ...

IIRC correctly it something like a 1 in 3 chance of resetting each time you level up. I guess you were just rather lucky from levels 5-10.

The main advantage of smithing for Thorik is not the small XP reward, but opening up access to the anvil in his store that you can use to modify your gear if your crafting skills are high enough, and getting it restocked when you smith for him on subsequent occasions. Your description of what you were doing was a little confusing so I am not sure whether the issues are some sort of bug or you doing something wrong or what.
from your guide
Work becomes available again after the following events:

a. You have gained access to both the Docks and the Slums.

which I qualify for 2nd smithing
I smithed first time long ago and upgraded my equips
I just cannot be sure if it is a bug or I simply rebuffed cause smithing passes time
thing is gold is so plentiful that I easily chug dozens of potions for every stat for max rolls
so maybe I didn't reload and simply rebuffed and 2nd smithing already happened
can't say for sure but I would say 99 percent I think It's a bug
but if you maybe explain how that thorik script works maybe we could pinpoint something
only thing I know 2nd smithing was available before I've gone to the slums for the 1st time
so maybe entering slums breaks it
but only you could check
if I can describe it better just ask

actually maybe it says on the anvil times remaining I'm gonna check right now if it reset than I would know if I've got 2nd smithing maybe

TLDR EDIT

ok so I checked I smithed the shapechanger upgrade and it said 7 out of 10 remaining before I smithed armor fully which should be 3 and weapon twice so I guess 2nd smithing definitely happened how many does it restore anyway but total would be over 10 12 it seems so I just forgot that I smithed so ignore above I'm dumb

Last edited:

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

in the zarala package quest there is an option to give that important guy it back I gave it to him but I wonder if those paper had any other usage or are just some trivia guide doesn't say anything

Eisen

Learned
I am in Level 11 in the EOB Module and can't progress anymore, there is a Shield Wall that requires some skill that i don't have and there is a room with a door(that can be opened from the other side) that contains two Vampires.
EDIT: Got bored and dropped

Last edited:

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

in the zarala package quest there is an option to give that important guy it back I gave it to him but I wonder if those paper had any other usage or are just some trivia guide doesn't say anything

There is nothing else in particular to do with it.
maybe an easter egg in chapter 6 like with certain useless ring in chapter 5
it just stood out to me cause he doesn't give anything for returning it to him so why give it
I actually didn't try not giving it to him maybe the old guy doesn't advance the quest otherwise
but you know all options as creator of the module

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... but you know all options as creator of the module

Assuming I remember them all. It is a big series and has been a while since I have done significant work on the earlier chapters. If I do another full play-testing run I might end up being surprised by some options myself.

Eisen

Learned
I am in Level 11 in the EOB Module and can't progress anymore, there is a Shield Wall that requires some skill that i don't have and there is a room with a door(that can be opened from the other side) that contains two Vampires.
EDIT: Got bored and dropped
Finished

I used the Wand of Sylvias on Xanathar, i never used it in the original game lol

qwlabr

Literate

rogueknight333

So I'm playing the Chapter 4 at the moment and it's good so far but for the love of God why did you have to put all this environmental damage througout the module? It makes some locations like the Abyss just obnoxious and not fun to play through. Not only you have poisonous plants that hold you and acid pools all over the place but to put a cherry on the top how about a strike of lighting every 10 seconds or so? What's the point of this features? To tell the player that this is an unwelcoming place? Don't take me wrong, I like challenging games but this is just over-the-top kind of obnoxiousness.

And I would also like to add that the idea of a chest exploding in your face and giving you a disease without any way to disarm it is just pure sadism (not cool).

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... What's the point of this features? To tell the player that this is an unwelcoming place? ...

It is the Abyss, so yes. Primes are in fact not welcome there. In addition, it is part of the resource management regime. You need plenty of healing resources and typically other items like elemental protection, Freedom potions, etc. to navigate these areas. It also contributes to role-playing by making immunities, etc. one gets from particular classes more meaningful. E.g., in other games, how often does it actually matter that paladins are immune to disease?

That is the theory, anyway. Not everything is going to work exactly as intended, and even if it did naturally not everyone is going to like every part of the series.

...it is just pure sadism (not cool).

Why would you assume my motive for making these is something other than pure sadism?

qwlabr

Literate
It is the Abyss, so yes. Primes are in fact not welcome there. In addition, it is part of the resource management regime.
Okay, I get that, but what with the lightning strikes? They seem to permeate the whole module. Like everywhere I go a can count on a good old lighting bolt crushing down on me from the ceiling... in the Underdark...
Oh yeah, and Schnella? Like, really? She's a nice hecnhmen though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom