Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I wouldn't be shocked if de-leveling by XP loss was handled differently by a delevel effect, but this might be a useful point of reference ...

De-leveling as a result of a scripted XP loss is not any kind of special effect. You just lose the level (if your XP goes down far enough) along with any skills, feats, BAB, etc. that came with it. AFAIK, the Sands of Fate author and myself are the only ones to use this as a combat effect, but knowledgeable players have long been de-leveling themselves (by using the dm_giveXP command and entering a negative number) in order to re-spec. It also occasionally turns up in systems meant to set a player to an appropriate level for a module.

There is one potential issue in that de-leveling can sometimes cause bugs with Red Dragon Disciple builds, if it removes a level of that class granting one of its special ability stat increases.

Shuruga

Educated
I wouldn't be shocked if de-leveling by XP loss was handled differently by a delevel effect, but this might be a useful point of reference ...

De-leveling as a result of a scripted XP loss is not any kind of special effect. You just lose the level (if your XP goes down far enough) along with any skills, feats, BAB, etc. that came with it. AFAIK, the Sands of Fate author and myself are the only ones to use this as a combat effect, but knowledgeable players have long been de-leveling themselves (by using the dm_giveXP command and entering a negative number) in order to re-spec. It also occasionally turns up in systems meant to set a player to an appropriate level for a module.

There is one potential issue in that de-leveling can sometimes cause bugs with Red Dragon Disciple builds, if it removes a level of that class granting one of its special ability stat increases.

Ah, fair enough. I followed that you meant loss of level by just losing XP but I thought maybe it would be handled in a similar way to the effect. Good to know!

razvedchiki, if you don't enjoy Aeilund in act 1 I doubt you'll like the rest; the design/tone is pretty consistent throughout.

codex account

Educated
anyone know how to change godname I didn't enter anything at character creation
The simplest way is to use CCOHEE (or CCOH if you're using the old Diamond Edition). Alternatively, you can get the good ol' GFF Editor and crack open the player.bic inside your save.

also can there be perma map and perma highlight also combat modes reset on save
This is engine-level functionality, so there's no changing it.

also any way to get permanent light that doesn't take equip slot
It's down to what general content's available in a module, a simple way is to use a default Light Gem to add the Light property to an item - if you can't buy or loot one, they're in the Toolset's Standard items palette under Miscellaneous -> Crafting/Tradeskill Material, e.g. a white Light Gem is it_lightgem008. A catch is that I haven't been able to use the DebugMode console to spawn them in (I wanted to try it, never used a Light Gem before), so if you're playing on the EE, hit CTRL+Shift+F12 and login as DM, then use the Creator tab to give yourself one.

There might also be an option in CCOHEE, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind that light sources like the Light property or torches have an effect on stealth, so it's not purely visual.
wow that mod that was super easy also I see a uninstall option the amount of files that it puts in override folder scares me should I keep it installed can it ever break anything at the very least it makes crafting menu kinda bloated
also that Vm Runtime Limit Instructions safe to have all the way to the right

Last edited:

codex account

Educated
It's down to what general content's available in a module, a simple way is to use a default Light Gem to add the Light property to an item - if you can't buy or loot one, they're in the Toolset's Standard items palette under Miscellaneous -> Crafting/Tradeskill Material, e.g. a white Light Gem is it_lightgem008. A catch is that I haven't been able to use the DebugMode console to spawn them in (I wanted to try it, never used a Light Gem before), so if you're playing on the EE, hit CTRL+Shift+F12 and login as DM, then use the Creator tab to give yourself one.

There might also be an option in CCOHEE, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind that light sources like the Light property or torches have an effect on stealth, so it's not purely visual.
There's also the continual flame spell if you are playing a caster.
why did you rate my post heresy if it's about game looks I'm always looking for tips
on EE it took a bunch of time to disable bullshit also testing which shader implementations are slow and make the game look shit
protip all of them
and lighting max lights is fine till 16 after that it's just slow does't matter if 32 or 128
post proccesing always disable everything
still have to test grass
lighting enhaced is pure herery

Last edited:

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

ch2 issue anvil crafting dialog is kinda overlaping and small when there are many options this issue should be from EE scaling I have 1.5
can you fix it or pray for beamdog codemonkey to get to it in the next 5-10 years probably
it fixes itself as options get used up

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

another bug chapter 2 sunken ruins key keeps duplicating if not looted move away interact again new key could this cause issues
wait found another one in a pile near the door with same name and description the duplicate one was more north east puzzling

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
another bug chapter 2 sunken ruins key keeps duplicating if not looted move away interact again new key could this cause issues
wait found another one in a pile near the door with same name and description the duplicate one was more north east puzzling

I will have to check why the duplicates are occuring, but it should not cause any issues. The extra keys are just useless.

on that note at level 11 she stopped giving xp only training at home and bookshelf still give some
I'm losing fate

The various altars have a random chance of being reset to offer XP again each time you level up, IIRC. So you may or may not be able to use it for that purpose again after another level up.

codex account

Educated

I will have to check why the duplicates are occuring, but it should not cause any issues. The extra keys are just useless.

on that note at level 11 she stopped giving xp only training at home and bookshelf still give some
I'm losing fate

The various altars have a random chance of being reset to offer XP again each time you level up, IIRC. So you may or may not be able to use it for that purpose again after another level up.
yeah that underwater quest I've completed no problem just a minor glitch with useless duplicates
I have been able to pray at selune chaotic good maxed level 5-10 first time everytime maybe lucky don't know but current level tried praying many times nothing so I guess that 200 xp not an option anymore doesn't matter long run but I've noticed sidequest this chapter seem to be like that 200 maybe 500 xp max so it stacks up I guess killing enemies is almost nothing in terms of xp
well anyway I'm having fun

Gargaune

Arcane
wow that mod that was super easy also I see a uninstall option the amount of files that it puts in override folder scares me should I keep it installed can it ever break anything at the very least it makes crafting menu kinda bloated
Don't use the Override version, use the Patch Hak one. Save your Override for in-progress mods or overrides that you want loaded in the Toolset.

See instructions here on how to set up your userpatch.ini.

Also, simple trick to get rid of lots of loose Override files in Windows - just copy all of a given mod's files into Override again, select to overwrite all existing, and then hit the Delete key right afterwards. Windows Explorer has all relevant files selected immediately after a copy operation.

I'm not fond of it as general practice, but I don't think there's much scope for it to cause trouble. If you're worried about it, you can uninstall CCOHEE and replace it with the old CCOH, it's still got a lot of functionality and doesn't need an expanded instructions budget.

codex account

Educated
Don't use the Override version, use the Patch Hak one. Save your Override for in-progress mods or overrides that you want loaded in the Toolset.

See instructions here on how to set up your userpatch.ini.

Also, simple trick to get rid of lots of loose Override files in Windows - just copy all of a given mod's files into Override again, select to overwrite all existing, and then hit the Delete key right afterwards. Windows Explorer has all relevant files selected immediately after a copy operation.

I'm not fond of it as general practice, but I don't think there's much scope for it to cause trouble. If you're worried about it, you can uninstall CCOHEE and replace it with the old CCOH, it's still got a lot of functionality and doesn't need an expanded instructions budget.
I just needed to write some god for text flavour I don't really need that mod it seems big also I will remember to put some god name in the future characters also I should remember to remake existing well whatever
I think I should just unistall that mod how to do it cleanly?
rogueknight333 what do you think
hopefully I won't break my current run would like to finish chapter 2 I'm working on it for pretty much a year now crap

Last edited:

Gargaune

Arcane
The old CCOH you can remove whenever, it's just a functional override. The new CCOHEE has some optional persistent scripting, like scabbards and auto-identify, so use the Options -> Uninstall line in its dialog before you remove it, just to be safe.

codex account

Educated
The old CCOH you can remove whenever, it's just a functional override. The new CCOHEE has some optional persistent scripting, like scabbards and auto-identify, so use the Options -> Uninstall line in its dialog before you remove it, just to be safe.
I've already deleted its files from override but thanks anyway I didn't click anything besides change god name
so hopefully it does nothing dunno

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

I've gone to thorik check if I can smith a second time and I could gave 386 xp but I was fully buffed and didn't want to redo that again after I lost buffs due to time passage from working smithy
so I've reloaded and gone do the slums came back when buffs run out and he doesn't offer smithing anymore total scam

Last edited:

codex account

Educated

There's also the continual flame spell if you are playing a caster.
why did you rate my post heresy if it's about game looks I'm always looking for tips
on EE it took a bunch of time to disable bullshit also testing which shader implementations are slow and make the game look shit
protip all of them
and lighting max lights is fine till 16 after that it's just slow does't matter if 32 or 128
post proccesing always disable everything
still have to test grass
lighting enhaced is pure herery

Gargaune

do you like newshit transformers color corrected bullshit
I wonder what others prefer
or am I again misunderstanding disagree rating

rogueknight333

Arbiter

rogueknight333

I've gone to thorik check if I can smith a second time and I could gave 386 xp but I was fully buffed and didn't want to redo that again after I lost buffs due to time passage from working smithy
so I've reloaded and gone do the slums came back when buffs run out and he doesn't offer smithing anymore total scam

Did you go to the same places after reloading? He should offer you the opportunity to smith again, if you had enough skill to do this the first time, after you have visited both the Docks and the Slums.

Gargaune

Arcane

@Gargaune​

do you like newshit transformers color corrected bullshit
I wonder what others prefer
or am I again misunderstanding disagree rating
Yes. The new lighting model looks better by default, but I've played around with the optional shaders for a bit more pop. Except the Toon one, it's a good idea but it needs more work to normalise for brightness.

codex account

Educated

rogueknight333

Did you go to the same places after reloading? He should offer you the opportunity to smith again, if you had enough skill to do this the first time, after you have visited both the Docks and the Slums.
He gave me opportunity to work for the SECOND time but I fully buffed so I reloaded I've gone do the slums and it was my FIRST visit there cleared the top layer before trying sewers gone back to marketplace to unload and poof option gone

hopefully thorik script isn't tied to visiting places but you are the best person to comment on that
actually might be that I've gone to him unbuffed but even unbuffed should have 15 craft weapon armor unless 2nd time needs more or rolls what if I rolled a nat one
buffed int equip I have 27 craft wp arm
currently I'm in slum dark calimport so cannot check on thorik will try again when offloading junk to vendors
might not be a script bug hold your horses TM

also is a possibility that I simply took a hit and chucked dozens of potions again and my brain is useless
but I remember reloading and simply wanting to come back once potions wear off
what if quick saving inside smithy fucked it
I use quicksaves in style off stand a little bit from character I wanna talk to paused game character clicked glows with blue circle quicksave if I chose bad options reload what if I quicksaved
too close to thorik and it might bugged does he trigger the offer immediately if available or always needs chosing the first option
well anyway at worst couple hundred xp lost

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've mentioned this before I'm sure but if you're playing NWN:EE be sure to go into your GPU's control panel and in Vulkan/OpenGL Present Method select Prefer Layered on DXGI Swapchain. This forces HDR and makes things much brighter with proper contrast, otherwise you're likely to find NWN:EE a visually very dark and grungy experience. I would have never played EE without this setting enabled since it's far too dark by default, or at least it was up until the community patch.

codex account

Educated
I've mentioned this before I'm sure but if you're playing NWN:EE be sure to go into your GPU's control panel and in Vulkan/OpenGL Present Method select Prefer Layered on DXGI Swapchain. This forces HDR and makes things much brighter with proper contrast, otherwise you're likely to find NWN:EE a visually very dark and grungy experience. I would have never played EE without this setting enabled since it's far too dark by default, or at least it was up until the community patch.
is this really possible if so fucking beamshitdog programmer gonna test right now RAGE

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
is this really possible if so fucking beamshitdog programmer gonna test right now RAGE
I don't know why but HDR seems to be non-working in NWN:EE unless you enable this setting. I would consider that an oversight. Even on a bright modern display like an OLED TV it's too dark by default. Oh sure, you can adjust brightness/gamma/contrast sliders in-game, your GPU's CP, or in your TV's setup but that requires fiddling and chances are it will look bright but washed-out. HDR fixes this in NWN:EE with just a simple one-click setting.

codex account

Educated
tested my apologies to Beamdog TM this reminds off low intelligence bullshit like turn off windows services or did you try turning it on or off literally electronics are voodoo to people novadays
keep that setting at auto if you don't know what your doing
if something is broken or slow it is always programmers fault

codex account

Educated
I don't know why but HDR seems to be non-working in NWN:EE unless you enable this setting. I would consider that an oversight. Even on a bright modern display like an OLED TV it's too dark by default. Oh sure, you can adjust brightness/gamma/contrast sliders in-game, your GPU's CP, or in your TV's setup but that requires fiddling and chances are it will look bright but washed-out. HDR fixes this in NWN:EE with just a simple one-click setting.
wait a minute HDR wtf in a software from early this century beamdog programmers didn't even decouple the ui yet
but if someone else wanna test this I don't possess HDR anything
I would wait for Beamdog HDR patch version coming SOON TM

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom