Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

codex account

Educated
Swordflight question chapter 5 expected end level is 38 how will level cap be handled in chapter 6
when I reach level caps in games I just quit and uninstall so how will you handle it if any?
You can probably reach the level cap in chapter 4 if you time your level ups correctly throughout the modules.
I have never made it past halfway chapter 2 so don't know many tricks was more of a curiosity question for rogueknight333
but if you could elaborate on powergaming strats it would be nice
but recently I have figured item enhancement bonuses could be stacked biowhore programmer was lazy and kinda ruined my experience
thought my current run is only exploring for metagaming I have used cheats like the 8 class from EE patch
real run with self imposed rules gonna come when I finish chapter 5 MAYBE POSSIBLY !!!!
but I have finished chapter 1 legit dozens of times one run can be done in a day its nice

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Swordflight question chapter 5 expected end level is 38 how will level cap be handled in chapter 6
when I reach level caps in games I just quit and uninstall so how will you handle it if any?

Note at high levels most monsters give very little XP so you can level up rather slowly. Even so, my expectation if that players will reach the maximum level 40 before the end of Ch. 6, giving them the rare experience of actually getting to play with a level 40 build for a little while, rather than just admire it on paper. I also plan to introduce some special monsters who can drain XP, so there will still be value in getting more. Not an entirely original idea: in the Sands of Fate series you can expect to reach lvl 40 well before the end, and the author tried to make XP gain still meaningful by making the final boss drain XP. Unfortunately there the final boss was too easy and the XP surplus accumulated by the time you faced him too huge for that to really work well, but I hope to improve on the basic concept.

Many things related to Ch. 6 are still being worked out, so consider the above plans tentative and subject to change.

MerchantKing

Learned
I also plan to introduce some special monsters who can drain XP

:despair:

Mate, then it might be good there won't be a Ch.7 lest you come up with a monster that reaches through the screen and punches me in the face.
It the worst case, you can always just press ~ then type

DebugMode 1,

press enter, and then type

dm_giveXP <>

and press enter again. Make sure to type

Debug Mode 0

after you're done.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mate, then it might be good there won't be a Ch.7 lest you come up with a monster that reaches through the screen and punches me in the face.

DebugMode 1,

dm_giveXP <>

Debug Mode 0

after you're done.
You could also watch the gameplay on youtube. Lmao gnome is even a failure at cheapskating.

codex account

Educated
crap I've written rouge instead of rogue RAGE TM!!!

my first experience with d&d was KOTC that one had crafting with gold and xp only
so you could just make +5 vorpal whatever material anywhere in zero seconds
maybe an option
Zarala could be pimped in +10 everything
but I'm expecting hardest chapter yet just to troll everyone also could do default balance for 8 classes but it is an override thing so not official setting
anyway anyone know D&D lore level 20 casters are compared to gods so what can level 40 do and how about level 40 melee can they do magic
cause if I remember correctly that weapon crafting only casters could do but the weapons would be for melee classes
also what is the best way to do a sorc\wiz\druid is it damage shields or melee or save or die or pure magic damage at level 40

TheCumGuzzler

Educated
Is PRC actually based on real D&D expansions, content and whatnot? I installed it and tried to make a character but there was like 60 races, 100 new classes and a lot of them felt OC-ish if that makes any sense.

codex account

Educated
Is PRC actually based on real D&D expansions, content and whatnot? I installed it and tried to make a character but there was like 60 races, 100 new classes and a lot of them felt OC-ish if that makes any sense.
They claim it is would take someone to verify a long time I would assume
anyway Biowhore programmers didn't do stacking checks properly some could be bypassed just by changing spell order
PRC probably just makes this baby difficulty game even easier and as any shitty mod 99.9 percent of them anyway just introduces crash gallore due to adding million extra bullshit my 2 cents TM

Sabotin

Scholar
Most of it is based on WotC material. I'm not sure about other editions but 3e had a ton of extra books/articles published with innumerable extra classes/spells/systems/customisations etc. There are obviously also homebrew things mixed in (or I just haven't heard of it), which might not even be as messed up as "official" content. So in general I think the mod requires you to self-police to not completely break whatever module you're playing, even then I stuck mostly to things that were as vanilla as possible to avoid conflicts. Could be that things improved recently (EE should allow less workarounds and convoluted code?) as I haven't tried the mod in years but yeah.

Gargaune

Arcane
dm_giveXP <>
I was just kidding.

Though, rogueknight333, I am curious about the functionality - so it is actually possible to delevel a character in play, does the PC data keep a chronological record of progression per level that can be rolled back? Or is this XP drain only meant to slow your progression over the last two levels rather than demote your PC?

cause if I remember correctly that weapon crafting only casters could do but the weapons would be for melee classes
Everyone can take Craft Weapon/Armor/Trap as Skills in NWN, only Craft Wand as a Feat is restricted to spellcasters.

MerchantKing

Learned

DebugMode 1,

dm_giveXP <>

Debug Mode 0

after you're done.
You could also watch the gameplay on youtube. Lmao gnome is even a failure at cheapskating.
You don't know that you can get games for free?

codex account

Educated
dm_giveXP <>
I was just kidding.

Though, rogueknight333, I am curious about the functionality - so it is actually possible to delevel a character in play, does the PC data keep a chronological record of progression per level that can be rolled back? Or is this XP drain only meant to slow your progression over the last two levels rather than demote your PC?

Everyone can take Craft Weapon/Armor/Trap as Skills in NWN, only Craft Wand as a Feat is restricted to spellcasters.
I've meant Magic weapon crafting from KOTC knights of the chalice the first one should also be pnp I'm sorry for the confusing post
also not sure was many years since I last played that never checked second one yet

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DebugMode 1,

dm_giveXP <>

Debug Mode 0

after you're done.
You don't know that you can watch games and skip the effort of playing them?

MerchantKing

Learned

DebugMode 1,

dm_giveXP <>

Debug Mode 0

after you're done.
Why would I do that? Might as well just watch sportsball like all the goyim do at that point.

codex account

Educated

DebugMode 1,

dm_giveXP <>

Debug Mode 0

after you're done.
I wanna watch those vtubers both english and japanese play swordflight 1-5
never gonna happen though

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... but I'm expecting hardest chapter yet just to troll everyone also could do default balance for 8 classes but it is an override thing so not official setting...

The default balance will assume the standard 3 classes. Using more is not supported, though I suppose it would be no worse than using PRC classes and similar things that some players have been doing all along.

also what is the best way to do a sorc\wiz\druid is it damage shields or melee or save or die or pure magic damage at level 40

Very situational. Save or die spells tend to be unreliable due to the immunities possessed by many monsters, though they are great when they work. If you are going for a build based around using damage shields taking 10 Palemaster levels for critical immunity can be very useful.

If enough XP was lost, the character would indeed go down a level, and that level would then just be lost. No way to get it back except to accumulate XP and level up again. AFAIK there is no way to keep track of information about what skills, etc. one took on a level-up if one de-levels a player through scripting, and since it is meant to be a penalty I do not know if I would do something like that even if I could. One would not be losing an enormous amount of XP on any given occasion, so players who know what they are doing should be able to avoid de-leveling, but the danger of that would be present. Again, this comes with the caveat that it is based on my current plans which might be altered by release. My plans do not always survive contact with play-testing.

Gargaune

Arcane
If enough XP was lost, the character would indeed go down a level, and that level would then just be lost. No way to get it back except to accumulate XP and level up again. AFAIK there is no way to keep track of information about what skills, etc. one took on a level-up if one de-levels a player through scripting, and since it is meant to be a penalty I do not know if I would do something like that even if I could. One would not be losing an enormous amount of XP on any given occasion, so players who know what they are doing should be able to avoid de-leveling, but the danger of that would be present. Again, this comes with the caveat that it is based on my current plans which might be altered by release. My plans do not always survive contact with play-testing.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't so much worried about getting the level "back" since you can just level up manually when you get the XP again, but rather I was puzzled about how the game would handle downgrading skills and removing feats or if it'd just leave you with "illegal" aptitudes at your downgraded level. But it was just an academic curiosity, I might script one up and see what happens.

Shuruga

Educated
I wouldn't be shocked if de-leveling by XP loss was handled differently by a delevel effect, but this might be a useful point of reference:

General penalties applied are:

It also affects the result from GetCasterLevel and GetSpellSaveDC, but doesn't remove spell slots or memorised spells oddly enough.

The things that are applied:

• -1 to attack rolls
  • -1 to saving throws
  • -2 skill checks (double the penalty)
  • GetCasterLevel is reduced by 1 (this is correct)
  • GetSpellSaveDC is reduced by 1 (this is wrong)

codex account

Educated
anyone know how to change godname I didn't enter anything at character creation
now when talking to customs inspector in chapter 2 of swordflight I think it is the first time I see it relevant
and it bothers me
HALP!!!!

also can there be perma map and perma highlight also combat modes reset on save
also any way to get permanent light that doesn't take equip slot

Last edited:

Gargaune

Arcane
anyone know how to change godname I didn't enter anything at character creation
The simplest way is to use CCOHEE (or CCOH if you're using the old Diamond Edition). Alternatively, you can get the good ol' GFF Editor and crack open the player.bic inside your save.

also can there be perma map and perma highlight also combat modes reset on save
This is engine-level functionality, so there's no changing it.

It's down to what general content's available in a module, a simple way is to use a default Light Gem to add the Light property to an item - if you can't buy or loot one, they're in the Toolset's Standard items palette under Miscellaneous -> Crafting/Tradeskill Material, e.g. a white Light Gem is it_lightgem008. A catch is that I haven't been able to use the DebugMode console to spawn them in (I wanted to try it, never used a Light Gem before), so if you're playing on the EE, hit CTRL+Shift+F12 and login as DM, then use the Creator tab to give yourself one.

There might also be an option in CCOHEE, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind that light sources like the Light property or torches have an effect on stealth, so it's not purely visual.

Gargaune

Arcane
Any good recommendations in terms of NWN modules that aren't Swordflight?
My usual recommendations are Siege of Shadowdale continued with Crimson Tides of Tethyr and then either carry on to Tyrants of the Moonsea or start over with Darkness over Daggerford and then take that into Tyrants of the Moonsea. I also recommend checking out Dreamcatcher, though its prior campaign, Shadowlords, might only be of interest to builders and historic NWN enthusiasts.

Note that these are all story-centric campaigns with regular NWN combat, they're not the same sort of beast as Swordflight.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Any good recommendations in terms of NWN modules that aren't Swordflight?
My usual recommendations are Siege of Shadowdale continued with Crimson Tides of Tethyr and then either carry on to Tyrants of the Moonsea or start over with Darkness over Daggerford and then take that into Tyrants of the Moonsea. I also recommend checking out Dreamcatcher, though its prior campaign, Shadowlords, might only be of interest to builders and historic NWN enthusiasts.

Note that these are all story-centric campaigns with regular NWN combat, they're not the same sort of beast as Swordflight.
Thanks. I was looking for more story-centric ones.

ds

Cipher
Patron
It's down to what general content's available in a module, a simple way is to use a default Light Gem to add the Light property to an item - if you can't buy or loot one, they're in the Toolset's Standard items palette under Miscellaneous -> Crafting/Tradeskill Material, e.g. a white Light Gem is it_lightgem008. A catch is that I haven't been able to use the DebugMode console to spawn them in (I wanted to try it, never used a Light Gem before), so if you're playing on the EE, hit CTRL+Shift+F12 and login as DM, then use the Creator tab to give yourself one.

There might also be an option in CCOHEE, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind that light sources like the Light property or torches have an effect on stealth, so it's not purely visual.
There's also the continual flame spell if you are playing a caster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom