Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are games that enthrall you with purely their atmosphere

Cheesedragon117

Educated
__kos_mos_m_o_m_o_shion_uzuki_and_chaos_xenosaga_and_1_more__c26d6963d6944981fa7eb0da5c99a714.jpg

__kos_mos_shion_uzuki_zohar_chaos_and_wilhelm_xenosaga_and_1_more__a56f4d9cd076b0401757c4e85415a4db.jpg
xenosaga_kosmosart_rpgfan-e1593975823116.jpg

And if the key art isn't enough to shiver your timbers, try the first game's one and only battle theme. Pure, unadulterated space opera, played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra:

Ba'al

Scholar
I have picked two games that have great atmosphere but would be mediocre at best without it.

Phantasy Star Online - its vision of the future is much more exciting that whatever we have now (mostly gloomy cyberpunk shit).

Knytt Underground - great sound design and a good variety of different areas.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me Icewind Dale 1 is still the peak RPG for overall atmosphere,

, character voices and pretty much everything else that has to do with audio-visual design. IWD 2 has some of that same magic, but it's not as strong overall.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Legend of Mana. The combination of art style and music gives the entire world a sleepy, peaceful, serene, and beautiful world.

Momock

Augur
Abe's Odyssey managed to pull me in very fast only with the title intro animation.

Signalis has a very strong setting an atmosphere. It stayed in my head for weeks after finishing it.

+1 to Northern Journey and Knytt Underground.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Arx Fatalis
Bloodlines
Deus Ex
The Fall
The Longest Journey
Morrowind
Penumbra (especially Overture)
Planescape: Torment
Portal
SOMA
Tomb Raider

La vie sexuelle

Learned
There was a time when European games, especially French ones, had their own national flavor. Yes, they were terribly janky, but they gave something unique that US productions could never give. And as much as I love manga, I miss bande dessinée in video games.

Still Life is the definition of a French crime story from the '00s. The heroine, what she looks like, psychologization, eroticism, macabre and light nonsense are a unique mix (Italian crime stories are similar, although more local, even more fluid, and I don't think any of them have been adapted into games). There was also a second part and a prequel, I like them too, but Still Life has the essence I am looking for.

Speaking of Italy, they also tried their hand at adventure games and made at least one adaptation of their own fumetto. Unfortunately, they have always been as brilliant as they were prone to chaos. Druuna is a unique cyberpunk game with an eerie, goofy-dark claustrophobic atmosphere and fails as a game. And it lacks American bashfulness, although it is still far from a comic book in these matters.

druuna-x-serpieri-594x800.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
Adventure games often have a strong atmosphere (and not much else).
blade-runner-video-game.jpg
58c619ce-ac17-11ed-b7c8-02420a000136.webp
scale_1200
44a08cec94998a767e50e6d40c2cdaae.jpg
woodruff.png

Blade Runner, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Petka i VICh, Samorost, Woodruff and the Schnibble

Also I always found Netstorm atmospheric. The steam, the storms and thunder, grey skies, rickety wooden bridges, gas masks, Mark Morgan soundtrack, helicopters. Feels like the plane of air in BG2 on steroids.

Serpent in the Staglands, SMAC, Underrail, Morrowind, Skyrim, Bloodlines, Arx Fatalis, Planescape: Torment, Disco Elysium, King of Dragon Pass, Gothic 1, Gothic 2, ELEX, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Syberia, parts of Witcher 3. Subjectively, Baldur's Gate 1 was extremely atmospheric. Oddly, Civ IV + FFH2 has a very strong atmosphere even though Civ IV has no atmosphere to speak of.

lg6yD0T.jpg
93xz0ye.jpg

gHMajnz.jpg
DejfnHY.png

hMItKtz.png
Ui8CfQs.jpg

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't go full fanboy over shit like atmosphere;
OMG, BRO, THAT'S, LIKE, DEEP MAN!!!
Anyway, games like Arcanum, the Interplay Fallout games, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Thief, all these games have good atmosphere that is made possible by their stellar soundtracks and sound design.
You simply must have good sound design to enhance the atmosphere of the game.

Dark Souls II

Literate
Dark Souls II. The childlike sense of exploration in how each location is completely different while all of them are full of secrets, combined with the underlying sense of nostalgia in all of them is just *chef's kiss*. Dark Souls III, for comparison, is like static noise - nothing if distinct or memorable, it's all the same booooooring generic soullessborne movie set. Meanwhile Dark Souls II is a symphony of sounds, colors, melodies, all bound together by an underlying motiff and harmony.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Dark Souls II. The childlike sense of exploration in how each location is completely different while all of them are full of secrets, combined with the underlying sense of nostalgia in all of them is just *chef's kiss*. Dark Souls III, for comparison, is like static noise - nothing if distinct or memorable, it's all the same booooooring generic soullessborne movie set. Meanwhile Dark Souls II is a symphony of sounds, colors, melodies, all bound together by an underlying motiff and harmony.

Agreed with all of this. It's truly the GOAT.

Zlaja

Arcane
Speaking of some newer games, the recently released detective game 'Nobody Wants To Die' has a kick-ass art design and music, which create a cool Blade Runner-esque atmosphere.

Qd-SEVgl-AJ7-MF9-Jx-Y.jpg

ss7.jpg

large-jpg.webp

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Speaking of some newer games, the recently released detective game 'Nobody Wants To Die' has a kick-ass art design and music, which create a cool Blade Runner-esque atmosphere.

Qd-SEVgl-AJ7-MF9-Jx-Y.jpg

ss7.jpg

large-jpg.webp

Looks nice, but it is nice?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom