Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder ✡️✡️POLL!; Is Pathfinder: Kucmaker really this bad?(´ರೃ益ರೃ`)

Is Pathfinder: Kucmaker not good?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trashos

Arcane
@Desiderious, what do you mean "I hate reloading"? I use it normally until I go ironman. I expect to have to do a lot of reloading, until I am a master of both the game mechanics and the game content.

On pnp, the DM is there to make sure you can proceed with his decisions behind the curtains. It is the same effect that crpgs achieve with their lower difficulties. On pnp, you are technically playing the journo difficulty, whether you know it or not.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
@Desiderious, what do you mean "I hate reloading"? I use it normally until I go ironman. I expect to have to do a lot of reloading, until I am a master of both the game mechanics and the game content.

On pnp, the DM is there to make sure you can proceed with his decisions behind the curtains. It is the same effect that crpgs achieve with their lower difficulties. On pnp, you are technically playing the journo difficulty, whether you know it or not.

Then you need to find a better DM (says the guy who hasn’t played pnp in forty years). Ask NJClaw, he’ll set you straight.

Yeah, I reload a lot on first pass, but I’m also planning another playthrough or two. Game should be able to be played cautiously without reloading much first pass, which P:K can be on the proper difficulty for one’s level of commitment/skill level.

Trashos

Arcane
I am not a pnp player, I am a crpg player. I played one pnp campaign a few years ago in order to see how they cope with the lack of a reloading button. Unsurprisingly, no matter what stupid things I did, the DM made sure that I did not die (and neither did any other player).

I do have respect for pnp. It is the roots, and it is its own kind of fun. But crpgs work differently because the medium is different. Not all things that work in one medium will work in the other.

Anyway. Kingmaker, and almost all RPGs, have an easy difficulty. There is no "game is too hard" and "game is out to get you", unless one is playing on easiest difficulty. Anything else is clearly absurd.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not a pnp player, I am a crpg player. I played one pnp campaign a few years ago in order to see how they cope with the lack of a reloading button. Unsurprisingly, no matter what stupid things I did, the DM made sure that I did not die (and neither did any other player).
Each PnP campaign can be played with different goals in mind.

Regardless of the chosen system (but this is especially true for D&D), you can play a more relaxed story-focused game where players can expect to overcome any obstacle in order to tell their characters' story or you can play an extremely brutal game where there's very little room for error and you need to constantly find clever solutions to survive (certain systems explicitly favor this style and players are supposed to come to each session with extra character sheets ready).

You can set your own difficulty, the DM just needs to make sure that every player in the group is on board with the decision.

Trashos

Arcane
You can set your own difficulty, the DM just needs to make sure that every player in the group is on board with the decision.

Well, like Kingmaker's difficulty levels then?

Look, there is no getting around it. Some Kingmaker players are butthurt because they found the harder difficulties of Kingmaker too hard. Regardless of whether I generally respect said posters or not, this is pure undistilled snowflakism.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Look, there is no getting around it. Some Kingmaker players are butthurt because they found the harder difficulties of Kingmaker too hard. Regardless of whether I generally respect said posters or not, this is pure undistilled snowflakism.
If you find "harder" difficulties too hard and get mad at the game when it clearly offers difficulties more suited to your needs, you need to be gunned down in the street like the degenerate you are.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
WTF... Players who hate reloading have no business playing anything other than the easier difficulties.

Not sure challenge is the right word for seeing an enemy uses X spell and reloading to prepare for X spell with Y buff. It's tactical in a way I suppose, but I never felt smart doing it. I just felt like it was what the game required of me. It was the moment-to-moment tactics within battles that I enjoyed, more than the process of reloading to prepare for something.

Erikkolai

Learned
I played a lawful character, yet I was unable to return Octavia to her rightful owners. :mad:

Hippety hoppety Octavia was property.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I'm not gonna watch 4 hours of this, but I saw the dude getting wasted by those wererats.
And like, if the encounter is too difficult, maybe, just maybe you should go level up a bit and come back?
Instead of trying to bruteforce it like a retard and crying about the difficulty?
But hey, that's just me, I'm pretty retarded.
Not as retarded as that guy though.

He literally complains about difficulty spikes and says "games don't have DMs to balance encounters"
I've got the game for you bud, it's called Skyrim. It has Bethesda levelscaling™.

Yo Pink Eye post that PF:KM steam reviews image with Mishulin's glowing eyes.
I for the life of me can't find it.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Do a somersault and get good.
dCGR5MY.jpg

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He literally complains about difficulty spikes and says "games don't have DMs to balance encounters"
ToEE fucking sucks shit (it's awesome, but still) because it's based entirely on D&D ruleset without any possibility for appropriate adjustment. Adjustment those rules were created in mind with.

It has Bethesda levelscaling™
I've never heard people complaining about BG2 levelscaling. Quite the opposite. Why is that? Is that because it works?

Level scaling is the retarded converse of Challenge Rating adjusted experience rewards. CR adjustment was one of smartest things that D&D 3E created. I have no idea why it didn't sweep the industry.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Level scaling is the retarded converse of Challenge Rating adjusted experience rewards. CR adjustment was one of smartest things that D&D 3E created. I have no idea why it didn't sweep the industry.

Having SOME type of level scaling when it makes sense for eg, making a dragon which by plot reasons had a tough time having higher stats and CR than another dragon of similar color and age is ok. However, having ancient dragons scaled down to a lv 1~5 party is not ok. Oblivion has the WORST implementation of power scaling. High level Oblivion gameplay sucks because you see bandits living in the poorest regions of the city with daedric/glass armor, but also because each lv up is like 3 more hits which a high level creature can soak on normal, meaning that each lv up makes the game more tedious. I an not joking, a Xivilai on high level soaked 87 hits from my daedric axe despite my my skills/attributes being above the cap(enchantments).

Low lethality is not fun or engaging. I really miss Finger of Death from 2e/baldur's gate. If you cast in a trigger/sequencer/wathever 2 lower resist + greater malison and has specialization on necromancy, you can OHK a Dragon with finger of death with about 60% chance of success. Believe or not, even a freaking demon lord

wSBlumc.png

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Level scaling sucks, but I also hate games that have strictly regimented zones for certain levels. Divinity OS for example, it has X area for levels 4-5, then Y area for 6-7. That feels just as "gamey" and lame to me as Oblivion's glass armor bandits. The best is absolutely a Piranha Bytes style design, where you'll find strong and weak creatures spread out more organically, or tougher creatures in deeper dungeons or volcanoes or whatever, stuff that makes sense. Even Skyrim did this to some small degree with tougher enemies at higher elevations in the beginning, though that game was still too scaled of course.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DalekFlay, the problem is when what wins a fight is pure "level" and "gear" which is the case of the "tactic" game dos2. Baldur's Gate 2, you can kill Firkraag on chapter 2. however most people chose to fight him on chapter 6.

On Piranha Bytes games(which you mentioned), the world fells extremely organic and is not scaled to the player, enter the valley of mines for the first time on Gothic 2 is a torment. You run for the orcs, not fight then. Same on new vegas. You can encounter Deathclaws and try to face him with your starting 9mm pistol and starting improvised bolt action 556 rifle, but is not a good idea. As longs leveling is a mechanic to represent a natural progression of your character, more "static" level for enemies. is not a problem. For eg, on DOS2 level is just a "gamey thing", on BG1/2 is different. A lv 1 necromancer specialized mage is a complete novice. A lv 9 is a "journeyman", capable of reanimating the dead and dealing some damage and a lv 20 reached the peak of humanity. Anything above 20 is superhuman. On Gothic the same thin happens. A Circle 1 fire mage can only cast the weakest fire spells like firebolt and a Circle 6 can make rain fire. Most mages on gothic universe are circles 3. What makes it feeling gamey on dos2 is cuz you need artificial numbers to face another artificial numbers.

Also, the difference between mid to high level on BG2 is not inflated like on dos2. From lv 10 to 15, a necromancer skull trap goes from 10d6 to 15d6 damage. It is more 17,5 damage on average. On DOS2, suffers from way more inflation.

Risewild

Arbiter
I forgot that time I was playing D&D and we all died and I told the DM "hold on, let's just load a quicksave"
I had a session that was kinda like that. The full party died. Then the father of one of the characters hired a new party of adventurers to go and retrieve the bodies of his son and his fellow adventurers, so they could be resurrected.

The new party of adventurers was the new characters made by the players, they had to go investigating where the original party went, revisiting some maps and areas, etc. In the end they got the bodies and most of the equipment and then the players decided if they wanted to keep playing with the original party and continue with their mission or if they wanted to keep their new "mercenary" characters and help with the original mission (replacing their previous character).

Most players decided to get back to their original characters, but there was a few that preferred the "mercenary" ones and roleplayed that their deceased characters refused to come back to life, so they couldn't be resurrected.

After that they then went back to where they died and continued with their original mission and managed to finish that campaign.

Not really a "quick" load, but kinda of a load anyway. :lol:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played a lawful character, yet I was unable to return Octavia to her rightful owners. :mad:

Hippety hoppety Octavia was property.

Those legal owners tried to enslave MC ass which makes further negotiations a bit tricky Comrade, but yes not giving you option to get rid of edgy half orc and his ho was irritating when I played as LE type same as having no option to punish the rat for stealing from your treasury, you needed to forgive her dunno cause of her magic vaajeena pass or what? How games have devolved since times of original fallouts where you could pimp and then sell of even your spouse, even those ones made by Chad Slavs. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom