Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Odd Gods, a 90s-themed adventure through spacetime with simultaneous turn-based combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Inn Between Worlds; Odd Gods

Back in June, Codex news hunter LESS T_T spotted a reference to an upcoming RPG called Odd Gods whose development was being funded by the government of the Australian state of Victoria. It's a "tactical time travel role-playing game" by an indie studio called Inn Between Worlds and headed by one Gil Maclean, who was one of the writers on the excellent Ultima V: Lazarus mod back in the day. We pretty much forgot about it after that, right until today when I discovered that Gil Maclean was none other than the Codex's own Grumpy Grognard. Gil was at PAX Australia this past weekend with a pre-alpha demo build of Odd Gods - the first time the game has been properly revealed, it seems. It's wonderfully weird, so it's probably best if I just post the description from the official website here, along with a couple of screenshots:

Odd Gods is a 90s-style RPG about the 1990s. An isometric tactical role playing game about subcultures, music, spacetime travel, and facing your pop culture demons.

Odd Gods is an indie cRPG in early development from Inn Between Worlds, a new studio formed by industry vets in Melbourne, Australia.

Features

There is no chosen one. A grungy, low fantasy story set at the end of the 1990s.

Classic 'isometric' camera on 3D characters and scenes.

Colourful, 'low budget B-Movie' Art style

Subculture class system based on 1990s archetypes (Skateboarders, Goths, Ravers, Jocks, Nerds etc).

Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).

Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).

Narrative features branching paths and multiple endings.

Hand-crafted exploration, narrative and combat content. No level-scaling, no procedural generation, no random encounters.

Original subculture soundtrack recorded with period instruments (where possible).

90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. Permadeath, mostly.

Take modern weapons back to older eras (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern) and vice-versa, but keep an eye on your ammo count and penicillin, for example.

.... No elves, no magic swords, orcs, or any of that guff.

Estimated length: 12hrs including side content:
(a) we're a small indie studio and don't have the capacity for more
(b) we actually want players to finish the game.

Coming soon to PC
As Ted "Theodore" Logan might say, whoa. There's no official gameplay video of Odd Gods yet, but somebody at PAX did upload a recording to Twitter. Additional screenshots are available on the website, and there's also an in-depth preview at Australian website Finder. Will this be the RPG that finally implements Frozen Synapse-style combat? We'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We pretty much forgot about it after that, right until today when I discovered that Gil Maclean was none other than the Codex's own Grumpy Grognard
Clock is ticking on seeing whether this post yields the same result it did for sser.

Hah, unlikely that he can be compelled to resign from his own studio. /literalminded

(Also no GD post history, sorry goons)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks pretty dope. Kind of like Dead State but interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We pretty much forgot about it after that, right until today when I discovered that Gil Maclean was none other than the Codex's own Grumpy Grognard
Clock is ticking on seeing whether this post yields the same result it did for sser.

Hah, unlikely that he can be compelled to resign from his own studio. /literalminded

What? What happened?

Check your PMs.

sser

Arcane
Developer

What? What happened?

DiscreteGloomyAntbear-size_restricted.gif

And der's nudding we can do about it.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
pic e of hsit westenr ser sa nd their infant ile cuhe lt of gthe e90s fas if the fmotheuffkc deca de of the fll of tr societ ug nin and grea t debiltiatign poveyrt in sovie t saatelite swas anythign to fuckmg xcelebr tat eufkci in you fcukgn fagot s i iwl suplex you all

Ha =) OG isn't a nostalgia trip. If we do our job well, the game will be a dissection of the 1990s - not a cheesy pastiche. Any questions, let me know.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Pretty dope

Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).

Is that genre specific or just general? Because if its the latter I need the alignment Metal

Prime Junta

:incline:

Looks like No Truce isn't the only oddball RPG in the works. Looking forward to this one.

Edit: oo, phase-based combat. Double :incline: !

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom