Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mondblut

Arcane
Mechanically all blobbbers that have internal positioning can't be called a single characters. What single character can move 1/4 or 1/2 or other part of its health points pool the the back and forth? That's a mechanic the doesn't existor or make sense in single character games but does in blobbers.

It's, uh, stance, yeah. Your change your stance to keep your mauled left hand safe and soak more beating with your right leg! Or something.

Internal positioning is not that uncommon in blobbers. IIRC already Dungeon Master had it?

I am pretty sure even the earliest Wizardry or Bard's Tale had a "back row" where you are relatively safe from melee but can only reach enemies with ranged weapons and polearms. Pretty much every blobber with more than 4 characters did it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
64y5wj.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I am pretty sure even the earliest Wizardry or Bard's Tale had a "back row" where you are relatively safe from melee but can only reach enemies with ranged weapons and polearms. Pretty much every blobber with more than 4 characters did it.

Except the popamole ones (MM3-5).

tritosine2k

Erudite
I thought the blobbing part refers to the movement, piece by piece with sharp acceleration and deceleration. Like you'd move on an ice/oil patch hence blob lmao.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I thought the blobbing part refers to the movement, piece by piece with sharp acceleration and deceleration. Like you'd move on an ice/oil patch hence blob lmao.
No it's that you control a party who occupies a single position. E.g. your whole party is blobbed together. You can have free movement blobbers. Also you can have single character piece by piece movement like Vaporum, which isn't a blobber.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Genres are defined by what they're trying to accomplish, not their mechanics. There are many games that can perfectly replicate core mechanics like stats and levels, but if they're not trying to emulate a tabletop role-playing experience then they're not really RPGs.

This is wrong, games are defined by their gameplay (ie. mechanics), not their aspirations. You can even find it on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A video game genre is a classification assigned to a video game based on its core gameplay (type of interaction) rather than visual or narrative features. A video game genre is normally defined by a set of gameplay challenges considered independently of setting or game-world content, unlike works of fiction that are expressed through other media, such as films or books. For example, a shooter game is still a shooter game, regardless of where or when it takes place.

JRPGs for example, people started to add a 'J' in front of 'RPG' not because they were being xenophobic, but because even normies understood that games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII provide fundamentally different experiences than games like Fallout, Morrowind or even Wizardry, despite being mechanically speaking Wizardry clones. There are Japanese exceptions, though.

Genre names, especially in games (though not only there) are rarely descriptive - the "adventure" game genre comes from Collosal Cave Adventure, not because in these games you are having an adventure and the situation is similar with Roguelikes... or even RPGs, not all games where you are playing some Role is an RPG. So paying attention to the genre's name is pointless, it is what the genre itself represents (the mechanics).

Nowadays pretty much everyone has at least an idea about how JRPGs play because they share a lot of gameplay characteristics - not because they come from Japan, despite the name's background. In fact if you look on Steam's JRPG tag page, the majority of games there by far are were not made in Japan.
Gameplay is more than just mechanics though. Let's take this very simple mechanic: You press the forward button but your PC doesn't move because there's a wall in front of him. Now let's apply that exact same mechanic in a different context: You press the forward button but your PC doesn't move because there's an NPC in front of him. Now the player might be compelled to chat with the NPC, to wait until he moves away, or attempt to kill him so he no longer blocks the way, but the NPC won't budge, he's like a wall but with different graphics. Now, are these two experiences the exact same thing? Japanese developers woul say yes, while western developers would say that the latter example doesn't belong in a proper role-playing game.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
MEA isn't even a first person game.

I didn't say it was. So anyway, since you're approaching this dishonestly, your wall of text isn't worth going through.

It's just tautology and autistic drivel.

You're reaching cosmic levels of delusion. I kind of see why you can't grasp the definition of a Blobber if you're stuck free associating between single character and party-based rpgs.

Sadly you can't even participate in this discussion Retardchops, since you're incapable of forming a coherent thought about it, instead falling back on irrelevant ad-hominem.

Or perhaps that's a happy occasion, seeing as you are a moron.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Just goes to prove I'm right, when the "counter argument" is a 20 second re-edit of a meme in Microsoft Paint.

"blobbers" isn't a genre and they don't exist, except in the minds of morons. Prove me wrong.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
since you're incapable of forming a coherent thought about it
Coherence isn't your strong suit buddy.

Is that a retort? Are you an actual moron?

You really are projecting hard.

I'm totally going to take a 300 post alt account super cereally and respond to third tier trolling.

:hmmm:
Sperg harder cunt.

Seethe, cope and dilate, bitch.

smug.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was once told a "blobber" was the chick bouncing up and down on your dick getting her pussy filled up like a fuel station.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I was once told a "blobber" was the chick bouncing up and down on your dick getting her pussy filled up like a fuel station.

Don't read urbandictionary, it is bad for your sanity.
I have a feeling that this thread is bad for all participants sanity. Except maybe for one. Someone could lighten the mood with something akin to the "poster" you added a page ago?

Some more funny things about the, nonexistent, sub-genre of blobbers? I can't think of anythink myself. Anyone?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Incidentally, my first association with the term "blob with arms and legs" is with this poster from 2005:

1727420.jpg
I looked more closely and at the older one recognized a few but still i'm bad at it:
Dungeon Keeper, Fallout, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Discworld, M&M(6-7), Heroes of Might and Magic, Planescape Torment, Prince of Persia, Baldur's Gate.
A few more look familiar but i can't remember the game or i'm not sure if it's really what i think it is.

Edit: In the new one i spotted Ghosts and Goblins, probably the console "remake" though.

Last edited:

Kruyurk

Learned
They kept updating it every 5 years. Here's the latest, probably full on popamole:
I see the west part of town is still where the kinky stuff happens.

And there is gummy on the new poster (bottom left), and he found himself a gummette, how adorable.

I was sure there would be something about Dark Souls, but it's quite hard to spot.
Bottom middle, bellow the tank, a mushroom people with his kid.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Nowadays pretty much everyone has at least an idea about how JRPGs play because they share a lot of gameplay characteristics - not because they come from Japan, despite the name's background. In fact if you look on Steam's JRPG tag page, the majority of games there by far are were not made in Japan.
There's a thread in the neighborhood where people are voting for Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma as the best JRPG's of all times, so I don't know what this term means anymore,.
The JRPG subgenre is a type of CRPG with a narrative focus and simplified game mechanics. Japanese-developed RPGs include many JRPGs but also many Wizardry-likes and several recent, prominent action RPGs such as Demon's/Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, plus a smaller number of games sprinkled throughout the other CRPG subgenres. The thread titled "Codex Best jRPGs Ever Poll" is asking for favorite Japanese-developed RPGs, not favorite JRPGs. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom